Re: Would you rather have a mustang or gto?

Discussion in '2004 Pontiac GTO' started by SuprJames, Aug 10, 2002.

1. I would agree with you in all the areas of the GTO except that the GTO's engine doesnt sound better than the Mustang, the LS1 doesnt sound any where near better than the mustang and i doubt this car will either with sticter emmisons correct me if i am wrong.

2. Hoseman takes the cake on this topic. the gto is nothing compared to the high-end 'stang. i realize this thread was started by a chevy fan so i dont mean to offend, but the next gen mustang cobra is an even better deal than a Z06. it could be easily modified to outperform it in all catagories. and it would still be less expensive.

heck, my wrx would eat this gto for breakfast.<!-- Signature -->

3. Yea but your WRX is dog ugly. Unlike the Monaro or GTO

4. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Hoseman</i>
    <b>How many of these threads are you going to make?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from camaro</i>
    <b>pontiac is going to be an American bmw.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Pontiac is GM's youth division. Cheap cars. What they think are looks. etc. Try cadillac for you question.

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from camaro</i>
    <b>Performance this would either be able to beat the mustang or barely keep up with it</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

(I hate caps, sorry). NOT A CHANCE IN HELL. THE MUSTANG IS A MID 12 SECOND CAR AND THE GTO WILL BE A MID 13 SECOND CAR. According to Car and Driver, the new Cobra is 7/10ths faster than the current WS6. The GTO has to prove it will even perform at the level of the WS6/SS. Not to mention around a track it would get schooled. The 03 Cobra surpasses the Cobra R in that category. Thats z06 territory.

<b>If I'm correct this has 375 torque and the cobra has 370 so this has more torque.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

No. You are INcorrect. You twisted my words. The Cobra has 370 ft lbs of torque AT THE WHEELS, which equates to 425 at the flywheel. The GTO has an advertised 375 ft lb of torque, and advertised torque and horsepower is ALWAYS at the flywheel. 425 [Cobra] vs. 375 [GTO].</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->So right, er-Hoseman. Pontiac is strictly a 16-30 year-old market. With the exception of the new flagship<!-- Signature -->

5. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Tickford Tickla</i>
    <b>I would agree with you in all the areas of the GTO except that the GTO's engine doesnt sound better than the Mustang, the LS1 doesnt sound any where near better than the mustang and i doubt this car will either with sticter emmisons correct me if i am wrong.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE --> thas because the mustangs sound is primaraly derived from the exhuast. not the engine!. take off the exhuast on both the mustang and ANY car with a ls1 on it and tell me which one sounds better!! besides, the sound of the engine shouldent be an issue. But if it REALLY was, the ls1 still sounds a hell of a lot better. <!-- Signature -->

6. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Tickford Tickla</i>
    <b>Yea but your WRX is dog ugly. Unlike the Monaro or GTO</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

oh i did'nt know you where the judge and jury on car design. sorry, can't say it's nice to meat you.

as for the gto being better looking than my rex, i would have to wonder WHAT YOU'RE SMOKING!?!? LMAO!!!!<!-- Signature -->

7. Okay....

Take the last SVT Cobra.

This car is lighter, has more power/torque.
    Track comaprisons are silly, because I haven't heard of any race results from this car. I don't any guys who have been racing this car against the SVT recently. Have you??

Add to that the fact that it's more luxurious. And has more room

And it's priced (using the AUS price, converted to US) only $3000 more than the last SVT.

If GM decides it wants a HP war, they drop in an LS6, with 405hp.

Game over.

(Personally, I like the Mustang. I just think this is a better car)

Ford is grasping at straws. They can't come up with anything fresh, so they're leaning on history, on nostalgia. Thunderbird? Bullitt? Mach 1? New Boss 302? Hell, even their new "supercar" which for most companies is a showcase of new technologies, and advanced design, is the GT40. A 60's race car, which is now diminished to being powered by a supercharged truck engine.<!-- Signature -->

8. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from paganirules</i>
    <b>Okay....

Take the last SVT Cobra.

This car is lighter, has more power/torque.
    Track comaprisons are silly, because I haven't heard of any race results from this car. I don't any guys who have been racing this car against the SVT recently. Have you??

Add to that the fact that it's more luxurious. And has more room

And it's priced (using the AUS price, converted to US) only $3000 more than the last SVT.

If GM decides it wants a HP war, they drop in an LS6, with 405hp.

Game over.

(Personally, I like the Mustang. I just think this is a better car)

Ford is grasping at straws. They can't come up with anything fresh, so they're leaning on history, on nostalgia. Thunderbird? Bullitt? Mach 1? New Boss 302? Hell, even their new "supercar" which for most companies is a showcase of new technologies, and advanced design, is the GT40. A 60's race car, which is now diminished to being powered by a supercharged truck engine.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

According to this site this has more power than the old Cobras, though I will beilive a car with the same hp as the base vette out of GM when I see it. I bet this will have 302hp in its for sale form.
    That said, the Cobra wieghs significantly less than this, about 3300 lbs if I remember correctly. And there is no much chance of Chevy dropping the LS6 into this, it might be able to compete with the C5 then, and thats a big no-no for GM.<!-- Signature -->

9. Sparetire says:

And there is no much chance of Chevy dropping the LS6 into this, it might be able to compete with the C5 then, and thats a big no-no for GM.

THIS IS THE REAL ISSUE HERE! We want the LS6 and we know GM is not going to upset their winey a** sensitive Corvette owners by sticking the LS6 in another vehicle.

rex4evo response:

The only reason Subaru built the WRX version of the Imprezza is to convince Imprezza owners they had a desirable car, because even those who respect the performance and handling of that car, know the thing is damn ugly. It's a great car to see in action, I always watched the RAC ralleys with Colin McCrae racing his ralley works car, superb stuff.

It all comes down to personal opinions on these issues, there are many opinions being stated her, and certainly any based upon the GTO are not based upon fact because the car does not yet exist in it's American form. When it does, then we can get fired up over whether GM have done a good job or not.

10. I would take the GTO with out even thinking. <!-- Signature -->

11. thats because you stopped thinking long ago.<!-- Signature -->

12. heres what gm had to say:

"General Motors Press Release 8:00 a.m EST June 20, 2002

Pontiac Confirms GTO Production

DETROIT —

General Motors and its Australian division, Holden, have completed an agreement to return the legendary Pontiac GTO to U.S. highways in late 2003 as a 2004 model. Holden will produce up to 18,000 of the modern, high-performance coupes each year at its Elizabeth plant.

Bob Lutz, Chairman of GM's North American Operations, was a key player in bringing back the GTO as a modern interpretation of the legendary muscle car. After he drove the Holden Monaro during a recent trip to Australia, he knew he had found a vehicle to serve as the basis for the new GTO. "I love driving this car," Lutz said, raving about the Monaro's 5.7-liter V8, 6-speed manual transmission. "It shares that V8 heritage and a brawny, muscular stance with the classic GTO, and it will make a fine flagship for Pontiac.

The addition of the 2004 GTO to the Pontiac lineup is a giant step in Pontiac's mission to contemporize the way it expresses excitement for the 21st century. "We want to focus on creating vehicles with a clean, fresh expression of Pontiac styling and provide our customers with a 'total performance' package that delivers both impressive power and superior handling," said Lynn Myers, Pontiac-GMC general manager.

"In the 2003 model year, we have the all-new Vibe® and the fresh look of the restyled Sunfire® and Grand Am® SE. We are following that with the totally redesigned 2004 Grand Prix® in the first quarter of 2003," said Myers. "The introduction of the new GTO in late 2003 will be the 'exclamation point" on the exciting evolution of the division, moving Pontiac performance to the next level."

2004 PONTIAC GTO

The 2004 Pontiac GTO will share much of the sculpted and clean styling of the current 2002 Holden Monaro CV8 coupe, with unique Pontiac brand character, including a dual-port grille and powered by a specially tuned version of the 5.7-liter LS1 V8 (shared with some models of the Chevrolet® Corvette®) mated to a choice of either a 6-speed manual or 4-speed automatic transmission. The rear-wheel-drive coupe will feature 17" alloy wheels, 2+2 bucket seating, and a premium sound system with an integrated 6-disc CD changer. Additional performance and feature details are still being finalized and will be released closer to the public unveiling of the GTO at the Los Angeles and North American International Auto Shows.

HOLDEN MONARO

The Holden Monaro was originally introduced in 1968 and was immediately lauded as the ultimate high-performance coupe. It was the first all-Australian sports coupe of its type. Strong public sentiment led Holden officials to bring back the Monaro name for its all-new 2001 coupe. Monaro became an instant classic when it was released in Australia last October and has become the most high-profile, sought-after car on Australian roads today.

GTO HISTORY

The Pontiac GTO sprang to life in 1963 as a 1964 model. It has been called the most famous muscle car in the high-performance automobile history. Also known as "The Legend" and "The Great One," GTO is the car that started it all.

Prior to 1964, performance cars were full-size hardtops and sedans with the largest displacement engines available. But, hot rodders had known for years that they could go faster if you put big engines in smaller, lighter cars. Engine swaps were standard operating procedure for this level of car buff, but that was backyard tinkering, not corporate engineering.

Driving enthusiasts' dreams came true in October of 1963 when the $299.95 GTO option, RPO W62, quietly joined the 1964 Pontiac Tempest®/LeMans® option list. The heart of the original GTO option package was a 325-horsepower 389-cubic-inch V8, a Carter AFB four-barrel carburetor, rear-wheel drive, a hydraulic camshaft, and impressive torque. Other standard features included a heavy duty clutch, heavy duty suspension, dual exhaust, US Royal red-line tires, a 3.23:1 rear axle ratio, twin hood scoops, and an assortment of GTO emblems.

Before Pontiac ceased production after the 1974 model year, nearly 700,000 GTOs were sold."

13. I would mucch rather have a mustang. One of my reasons being i don't like pontiac cars in general. This car doesn't even look that different than the grand prix. I'm sure the interiors are very different but from this picture the front yells grand prix.<!-- Signature -->

14. This is a monaro. The monaro is the lowest Trim of the holden's. The highest obviosly being the 300 GTS and the 255 Gto. This is not an SVT competitor. Good, yes, but no firebird, I enjoyed the firebird's aggresive design and great performance, but at least that car could beat a mustang SVT. This, however, will not be able to. This is a direct competitor to the M3, not the SVT. This is the firebird replacement? I'm not impressed at all. This car is so much heavier, worse handling than the trans-am. It's a grand prix with a different badge. It's also more expensive.

Trans-am:price: 28,711
    Speed: 164 mph
    quarter:13.1
    Handling:0.91g
    0-60:5.0
    GTO: Price:31,000[est.]
    Speed:155
    Quarter:13.8
    Handling:Unknown[low 80's]
    O-60:6.9 <!-- Signature -->

15. I would take a mustang anyday. Not that this is a bad car, but the mustang is faster and imo better looking.
    Now to the people who think that this is going to run 12's or even 11's, hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Oh thats good. This car might have 350hp, but its going to be heavy. You really think that gm would let a new car topple even the base vettes times? No. And it will not beat the zo6s times. How the hell did you people come up with 11 seconds? Were you smoking crack? Were you dropped on the head? Hell the zo6 with 405hp does not run 11's, the mustang cobra with 420hp does not run 11s. I still can't belive that some of you think that a heavy car with 350hp will be running 11s.

16. Camaro's signature seems to be a bit misinformed.

It includes: "'Our gto will reduce your mustang cobra to some where between a garden snake and an earthworm'.-head of pontiac"

The correct quote is "Our GT-40 will reduce your Viper to somewhere between a garden snake and an earthworm." It was spoken by John Colletti, director of Ford SVT, in response to a (true) Chrysler allegation that the 2003 Viper would be faster than the 2003 Mustang Cobra.

Also, dude, a car won't run 11's just because you SAY it will. The Z06, a lighter car with 55 more horsepower, runs low twelves.

In my personal opinion, Pontiac should put some effort into differentiating the style of the GTO from that of the Holden.

17. OK, I don't feel like quoting all the people that are idiots. I'm going to start with the person who said that the 4.6 Litre Mustang can easily be tuned. The car is already a DOHC car and now that they've strapped a supercharger to it they've mangaged to pull it up to 390 hp.......oh WOW big deal!! Why do you think there are so many CHEVY small blocks in drag cars?? The Mustang engine does sound better and it's not just the exhaust. I dont' know what it is...perhaps the crappy fuel injection system they have, but they sound better. This car isn't going to run 11's. MAYBE 12's but more than likely high 13's. It will beat regular Mustangs but not the SVT's obviously. The SVT does not compare to the Z06, so whoever tried it earlier needs to realize that it's a Mustang. The 04' Corvette is supposed to have vast hp gains (in the realm of 450 hp and the same torque) so this car, which also comes out in 04', won't be competing in sales. The LS1 has way more potential than any Ford engine out there. It's versatility has been proven time and time again. This car is sweet and I'm sue we'll be seeing a police package also.

18. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from SuprJames</i>
    <b>OK, I don't feel like quoting all the people that are idiots. I'm going to start with the person who said that the 4.6 Litre Mustang can easily be tuned. The car is already a DOHC car and now that they've strapped a supercharger to it they've mangaged to pull it up to 390 hp.......oh WOW big deal!!
    </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

You know nothing about the 2003 Cobra. First it has a very underated 390 horsepower. Most owners are making around 370 horsepower at the wheels, which is 426 at the engine. Now there have been many owners that have had incredible gains with many small mods. Like a $200 Mafterburner tool which allows the owner to change the A/F ratio. With just that they have made 430 horsepower at the wheels. Swapping out the restrictive exhaust results in 400 rwhp from stock. Pullies, also very impressive gains. With pullies, exhaust, chip, and a tune they approach 500 rwhp. That’s with only $1500 in mods. The 03 Cobra is THE car to mod.

The heads and cams LS1 guys will not even touch a 03 Cobra with the above setup, and yet heads and cams cost much much more.

FYI the overhead cam design responds so much better to forced induction than the pushrod LS1s. The DOHC 4V 4.6 just has so much more potential (and interest) its a shame that people like you are so misinformed.

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from SuprJames</i>
    <b>The LS1 has way more potential than any Ford engine out there. It's versatility has been proven time and time again. This car is sweet and I'm sue we'll be seeing a police package also.
    </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Hey buddy. Than explain why there are no 8 second LS1s. While there are hundreds of 4.6s that are even faster. Seems like the 4.6 got you beat.<!-- Signature -->

19. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from MugenSi</i>
    <b>Camaro's signature seems to be a bit misinformed.

It includes: "'Our gto will reduce your mustang cobra to some where between a garden snake and an earthworm'.-head of pontiac"

The correct quote is "Our GT-40 will reduce your Viper to somewhere between a garden snake and an earthworm." It was spoken by John Colletti, director of Ford SVT, in response to a (true) Chrysler allegation that the 2003 Viper would be faster than the 2003 Mustang Cobra.

Also, dude, a car won't run 11's just because you SAY it will. The Z06, a lighter car with 55 more horsepower, runs low twelves.

In my personal opinion, Pontiac should put some effort into differentiating the style of the GTO from that of the Holden.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Camaro's signature is a joke like he is.<!-- Signature -->

20. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from MugenSi</i>
    <b>Camaro's signature seems to be a bit misinformed.

In my personal opinion, Pontiac should put some effort into differentiating the style of the GTO from that of the Holden.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Camaro's signature is a joke just like himself.<!-- Signature -->

21. Personnally, i prefer GTO to a Mustang. Even if GTO is faster or not, i will certainly prefer a GM to a Ford. It's just my opinion.

22. good for you. you have learned how to shut out all important info and stereo type cars.<!-- Signature -->

23. It's only his first post. I've seen a lotta people bum on their first posts. On these forums, there's a lot to learn every day for people like Silverado.<!-- Signature -->

24. lol. the newbies sometimes learn when they spend time here.<!-- Signature -->

25. laten luten liten ahh stfu