Re: z4 vs s2000

Discussion in '2003 BMW Z4 3.0i' started by ferrari F40 GTE, Aug 9, 2002.

1. id take the honda over this any day.. cuz it looks better, a little more agressive. the s2000 has more hp and has probably better peformance. honda all the way<!-- Signature -->

2. Looks great but the specs are incorrect. It will not have a 3.0 litre engine nor will it only have a 5 speed<!-- Signature -->

3. z4 vs s2000

honestly this vs the s2000 i think the honda would win, but the z4 does look cool what do y'all think

4. #4 AshenShadow, Aug 9, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Interesting. The Z4 uses same engine used in Z3 3.0 by the looks of it, and that does the 0-100kmh in 6.86 secs and a 14.93 quarter. S2000, on the other hand, does 7.07 to 100 kmh, and a 15.11 sec quarter, according to Motor Magazine: http://www.motormag.com.au

Interesting comparo. I think the handling of the Z4 would see it through, but it remains to be seen. <!-- Signature -->

5. #5 AshenShadow, Aug 9, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Interesting. The Z4 uses same engine used in Z3 3.0 by the looks of it, and that does the 0-100kmh in 6.86 secs and a 14.93 quarter. S2000, on the other hand, does 7.07 to 100 kmh, and a 15.11 sec quarter, according to Motor Magazine: http://www.motormag.com.au

Interesting comparo. I think the handling of the Z4 would see it through, but it remains to be seen. <!-- Signature -->

6. Z4 should win. Engine used is from the Z3 3.0 by the looks of it, and this engine already has the goods on the S2000. If chassis is half-way decent, handling will be better too.<!-- Signature -->

7. Unless This thing is decently lighter than the S2000, there us no way it would win. Top speed is really low also. S2000 has 20 more bhp, and I with the 9000 redline, it's hard to compete with in it's class. Handling is different, I think this thing would probably kick Honda's ass on a twisted track... so they both got their goods and bads. (I'm not bashing BMW or anything but) I like the look of the Z3 more than this. not that I think it looks bad at all, just my preference.

8. The topspeed is for the US version. In germany it is elictronically limited to 155mph or 250kph, no way a S2000 could do that and the Z4 is also WAY heavier then the Z3 or the S2000.

Go figure.

9. there is no way in hell an S2000 could take this car. As for the top speed I serisouly doubt it is correct much like alot of the other info on this site. The torque in this car would smoke the sh!t out of a S2000 off the line and coming out of turns, an S2000 might handle as well as this car but not better.<!-- Signature -->

10. The S2000 was tuned down alot in order for it to make into States due to certain laws and if it wasnt tuned down it would embarass the Z4 more than it already will.<!-- Signature -->

11. i think the z4 would win in 0-60 but in a full race the s2000 cause the top speed is so low!<!-- Signature -->

12. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from LAMBOlover</i>
    <b>The S2000 was tuned down alot in order for it to make into States due to certain laws and if it wasnt tuned down it would embarass the Z4 more than it already will.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

No it wasn't you idiot.

The S2000 is at the very edge of relablie power.

Spyder757

13. This is really hard to know without knowing things like gearing and power to weight ratio. I think that they would be about the same in a race, track or straight, but that the torque would make the Beemer more drivable the other 99% of the time.<!-- Signature -->

14. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from LAMBOlover</i>
    <b>The S2000 was tuned down alot in order for it to make into States due to certain laws and if it wasnt tuned down it would embarass the Z4 more than it already will.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

lol tuned down to what? nuthing?

15. The Z4 was not meant to have such a great top speed, anyways i believe that the BMW Z3 is more in competition with the S2000, and i believe the biggest competitor with Z4 is the Lotus Elise, which doesnt have such a great top speed but amazing handling etc.

16. im going to wager that the z4 would take an s2000 off the line because the larger eng, but i dont know after that a s2000 is real quick once it gets in the higher rpm range. they seem to get a huge power burst at about 6k rpm

17. the z4 has so much more low end torque... the s2000 did 0-62 in like 11 seconds when they started off the line @ 5000rpms...
    the topspeed for the 192hp engine is 146mph and the 225hp engine is 155mph... electronicaly limited i guess...
    i think the z4 would win the race but not by much...

18. Z4 vs S2000

I believe i'm the only one from Europe around this subject (Z4 vs S2000). There is no way the Z4 can take the S2000! ! ! For the S2000 it takes 6.0sec for 0-60, top speed 250kph, 241hp, no electronics (TCS, ESP, and other shit like that), lighter than the Z4, 6-speed manual (better accelaration), and the best of all is the redline at 9.000rpm! ! ! Even M.Schumacher, designate it as a 2-seater formula! ! ! (And something else, the only way BMW could made the Z4 so powerfull, was to put a 3.0cc engine(hehehe!!!), and they did it)

19. Just wait, BMW plans to sell the Z4 M version till 2006!
    I am very excited, because I like the Z3 M version very much too, and the Z4 looks better!

In my eyes, the S2000 is not very attractive, but it's a litte stronger (when you take the new 2.0l engine) 240hp @ 8300 RPM against the Z4 with 231hp.

When you order the 3.0 l version, there is not a 5-speed manual transmission, there is a 6-speed.

The Z4 3.0i has a top-speed of 250km/h, and the S2000 just 225km/h.

So I think, that the Honda maybe rules the first few meters, but the Z4 will win.

But lets wait for the M- version, then the Honda has no more chances!

>>>ThaMasta

20. Just wait, BMW plans to sell the Z4 M version till 2006!
    I am very excited, because I like the Z3 M version very much too, and the Z4 looks better!

In my eyes, the S2000 is not very attractive, but it's a litte stronger (when you take the new 2.0l engine) 240hp @ 8300 RPM against the Z4 with 231hp.

When you order the 3.0 l version, there is not a 5-speed manual transmission, there is a 6-speed.

The Z4 3.0i has a top-speed of 250km/h, and the S2000 just 225km/h.

So I think, that the Honda maybe rules the first few meters, but the Z4 will win.

But lets wait for the M- version, then the Honda has no more chances!

>>>ThaMasta

21. Re: Z4 vs S2000

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from geo_x</i>
    <b>I believe i'm the only one from Europe around this subject (Z4 vs S2000). There is no way the Z4 can take the S2000! ! ! For the S2000 it takes 6.0sec for 0-60, top speed 250kph, 241hp, no electronics (TCS, ESP, and other shit like that), lighter than the Z4, 6-speed manual (better accelaration), and the best of all is the redline at 9.000rpm! ! ! Even M.Schumacher, designate it as a 2-seater formula! ! ! (And something else, the only way BMW could made the Z4 so powerfull, was to put a 3.0cc engine(hehehe!!!), and they did it)</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Man, you are BULLSHITTING!
    I'm not from europe, but WTF makes you think you're the only european????
    Anyway - The Z4 top speed is 155mph, not 128. The S2000 is 150mph.
    And the Z4 is going to have much more torque, since BMW puts massive torque in their engines, and it's a 3L i6 engine...
    You don't know which one is lighter since no one knows how much the Z4 weighs.
    The Z3 had a 2.8L engine, so what you said about them needing bigger engines for more power is crap - they already use big engines because they have more torque, hence flexibilty and ease of use, while still having loads of power, unklike Honda's engine, which will make you sweat so much shifting gears with it's skinny power band (800 RPM!!!)

The S2000 has 20hp more than the Z4, That's NOT gonna make the difference.

And 6-speed doesn't give you better acceleration, it all depends on the gear ratios - you can make the same car accelerate harder with a 5-gear than with a 6-gear if you want. The reason the S2000 has a 6 gear is that there's no way you could drive it with a 5 gear because of the low torque and thin power band.
    The Bimmer is more comfortable (the S2000 is basically a Kart with leather seats)and much safer, the electronices actually allow you to make better use of the power with less driving experience. The Z4 handling is going to be a gem, since BMW knows how to make GREAT driver-cars, and this is their main concern in designing this car.

And whats that crap about 9000RPM redline??? Again, that's how Honda makes power out of an engine, it doesn't give any other advantage, except for the horrible noise it makes when you just want to peacefuly drive to the local supermarket.

Too much data is missing to decide which car will win a race, but the Z4 is definetely a better car, even if the Honda will beat it on a certain track by 0.03 seconds...

P.S
    I wonder why most of the people trashing the Z4 has AMG in their names? Could it be envy?? Ha, no way...

22. Well, the Z3 employing this same engine is faster than the S2000. The Z3 managed 0-100kmh and the quarter mile in 6.86 and 14.93 respectively, whereas the S2000 came up with 7.07 and 15.11 (source: Motor Magazine.) It's obviously a close race, though. The Z4's underbody will be based on that of the current 3-series, which probably means a chassis in line with the likes of the 330i or Ci, whereas the Z3 had entirely its own chassis and suspension, and left a lot to be desired. Also, it's rumored that the SMGII (sequential 6-speed) transmission from the current M3 might be released in the Z4, so that will help in its speed. Also, the body is more rigid than that of the Z3. Overall, I think it'll take the S2000, at least until Honda release a new model, but the Z4 should take some beating.<!-- Signature -->

23. I don't really have any idea who would win so i am not going to argue but i would much rather go down the strip in a z4 than a s2000. <!-- Signature -->

24. It's not the AMG that makes people bash it, who cares, slk320 would kill it, but if you go to dtmpower.net you'll find that many of the bimmer fans are bashing it, they say the back end looks like ferrari or s2000, front looks like audi tt ( which i don't think), and side looks to chissled and kinda like a tiburon. I think it looks cool, except interior images I've seen I don't feel really match the car. I'd rather have this than an S2000 for sure, even if the S2000 is way faster, which it probably isn't.

You people who say benz owners hate bimmer owners and vice versa are retarded, they're both awesome cars, BMW has been better, for 5 years in my opinion except I liked the SLK and S and CL, but now I think MB is taking a step forward while BMW has taken a step back.<!-- Signature -->

25. who cares they will still sell as fast as blunts at a bob marley fest.<!-- Signature -->