RETURN OF THE FERRARI KILLER!

Discussion in '2002 Ford GT40 Concept' started by mpg, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Re: RETURN OF THE FERRARI KILLER!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Duke Nukem</i>
    <b>LOL, if you think this will kill Ferraris just go look at the concept for the new F60.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    It doesn't have to kill all Ferraris to kill Ferraris. What about the 360?<!-- Signature -->

2. Re: RETURN OF THE FERRARI KILLER!

This car is awesome , all italin cars cant even f#$% with this . I'm getting pretty sick of all you Euro ebthusiasts , if you love there cars so much why dont you go to there continent and have fun being on the losing side of the racing scene . This car waxed every car in the sixties and it will do it again . Do you know what ferraris are made out of ? , we send them our old sheet metal and they make cars out of them and import them to us , We are way smarter cause ferraris have mid engines so they have the advantage cause everyone who knows anything about cars know mid engines have advantages , let america make a mid engine car , every race track in america will be smelling like burnt pasta if you know what i mean ,so before all you euro people go talking stuff about this car just wait and see what it can do , america is not out of this war , we were just waiting for the perfect time , if rumors are true about chrysler bringing back the hemi you guys better watch out , this is far from over , Jap cars suck , i'll say europeans can mess up japs but we are way better than them so just wait and see what GM comes out with in the next three years ,including the Charger r/t already set for production .
    Cant beat the sound of a V8

3. Re: RETURN OF THE FERRARI KILLER!

GT40waiter You think horsepower to weight is the determinant in speed. How about tuning and aerodynamics. Face it Fords expectations of this car are far lower than the fans expectations.

Americanmuscle learn how to spell. And this thing waxed cars in the 60s when the competition was minimal. But who cares? Do you think it will be hitting the same track with the same competitors? No. And don’t bother with the mid-engine advantage bullshit because this 5.4 liter supercharged engine will be compared with a 3.6 liter normally aspirated engine from Ferrari is still expected to have lesser performance.
    <!-- Signature -->

4. Re: RETURN OF THE FERRARI KILLER!

Ok , how you gonna say your part of the ferrari clan when you know your probably 16 and driving an old a$$ audi or some s^&% , and one other thing , match a ferrari of the same price to this speed beast and see what happens , my friends dad has a ferrari 360 spider(a $164,000.00 car) and my '01 mustang roush stage 3(a 15,000.00 car with about $8,000.00 more to make it a roush) walked on it over and over again so before you start saying stuff about ford look what a mustang can do to a ferrari , i'll admit the ferrari is nice looking but for its price i'd rather get something like a shelby series 1 and put money into and see what it can do .If you really have a ferrari i would like to meet you sometime and show what a REAL car can do .

5. Re: RETURN OF THE FERRARI KILLER!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from gsolinas</i>
    <b>GT40waiter You think horsepower to weight is the determinant in speed. How about tuning and aerodynamics. Face it Fords expectations of this car are far lower than the fans expectations.

Americanmuscle learn how to spell. And this thing waxed cars in the 60s when the competition was minimal. But who cares? Do you think it will be hitting the same track with the same competitors? No. And don’t bother with the mid-engine advantage bullshit because this 5.4 liter supercharged engine will be compared with a 3.6 liter normally aspirated engine from Ferrari is still expected to have lesser performance.
    </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

I never said horsepower to weight is a determinant in speed. What I said is that horsepower to weight has a significant affect on acceleration in cars. It is a law of physics that it takes more force to accelerate more weight.

I personally think that the performance of the GT40 will be better than the predictions I have read. I base my humble opinion on the power, weight, mid-engine design and aerodynamics. Just like GM, Dodge, Porsche and all the other manufacturers, Ford's estimates are probably conservative. But if they aren't and it isn't as fast I think it will be, then it isn't. I won't loose any sleep over it. The fact is that no matter how good a car is, there is always something new around the corner that will be better. Just like computers. If you wait for the best, you will never buy anything because there is always something better on the horizon. I have no loyalties to particular manufacturer like a lot of people. I just like this car. If you can't like a car because it is not American, or not Japanese, or not Chevy, or not Ford, etc., you are missing out on a lot of great cars. I still believe that this car will best the 360 because they both share what I think are great designs, but the GT40 has more power and is predicted to weigh less. This will impact cornering and acceleration out of the corners as well as acceleration from a stand still if that is important to you. Top speed is not a factor I consider because it's not important to me, but I think the GT40 will be capable of some pretty high top speeds although it seems Ford will be installing an electronic governor on the top speed as done by a lot of manufactuers like BMW for example. We'll just have to wait and see what it's like after it gets tested by some magazine. Then the arguments will be whether the magazine performed the test fairly. It's a never ending saga. In the end you should buy what you can afford and want and ignore everybody else.

6. Re: RETURN OF THE FERRARI KILLER!

LOL!! Rustangs? You are full of shit. I’ve watched MR2s kill Mustangs. You better be driving a Saleen Mustang or else you aren’t fooling anyone.

GT40 waiter I agree with you. But I do get annoyed with all the Ferrari Killer stuff. At least wait until it comes out. People are claiming this car will top everything because of things that happened in the 60s. Things change and so has the car. You don’t see me writing “the F60 will be awesome because it won 9 lemans’ 25-30 years ago. That is stupid. But I respect your post. Nice talking to you.
    <!-- Signature -->

7. Re: RETURN OF THE FERRARI KILLER!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from gsolinas</i>
    <b>LOL!! Rustangs? You are full of shit. I’ve watched MR2s kill Mustangs. You better be driving a Saleen Mustang or else you aren’t fooling anyone.

GT40 waiter I agree with you. But I do get annoyed with all the Ferrari Killer stuff. At least wait until it comes out. People are claiming this car will top everything because of things that happened in the 60s. Things change and so has the car. You don’t see me writing “the F60 will be awesome because it won 9 lemans’ 25-30 years ago. That is stupid. But I respect your post. Nice talking to you.

You are right about people getting exited about this car. It's hard to blame them because it looks like it will be a great car, but we won't know until it's available for test drives.

8. Re: RETURN OF THE FERRARI KILLER!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from cornu</i>
    <b>Here is some common sense, Ford claims a top speed of 180mph and a 0-60 of under 5 seconds. Now look at the Ferraris on this site and figure out who will kill who.
    Ah, cornu! Finally, someone I can turn to for some verifiable information. This site says the 360 Modena will/has reached 189 mph. Do you know if this site actually tests the cars for which it gives these figures?

The GT40 was victorious due to lack of competition? BS. What the hell do you call the Ferrari 330 P4 and Porsche 908? Those were freakin' fast cars.

9. Re: RETURN OF THE FERRARI KILLER!

whoever started this crap about the gt40 competing against low competition levels in the 60's better go back and do their "History of Racing" homework over over they're gonna get held back a year or two!!! the entire point of ford producing this car in the 60's was to prove to ferrari that they could compete....and not only did they compete with ferrari, but they wiped their ass with a sandpaper covered brick at that, what, 3 years in a row i believe? it was ford who got out of the le mans due to the fact that THEY had no competition with their gt40. as for this incarnation of the icon, no one can say anything yet about what it can do. the competition has changed since the 60's and this may or may not be up to par with what's out there now. but in the 60's, ford was severely ahead of their time with this car...and i'm sure they'd like to be close to that again now. PS: whoever made the comment about a saleen mustang being the only fast one....you don't know much about your rousch stage 3 stangs then, do you? and the guy that said he had one that cost a total of, what, $23,000....either you're lying (and i'm not saying you are, so don't take it personally) or you got a relative in the business, because that car you speak of is $45-50,000+. unless you stole it from the dealership one night and left them a check for $23,000 on the table (which if you stole it, i assume you wouldn't do that), then you didn't buy one that cheap. maybe a stage 2 on "end-of-year" clearance, but not a stage 3 supercharged.

10. Re: RETURN OF THE FERRARI KILLER!

At least Mr. Ferrari Killer can read cover pages of Car & Driver magazine. This was a topic in the Febuary 2002 issue. MR. FERRARI KILLER REALLY NEEDS TO GET HIS SHIT STRAIGHT.

11. Re: RETURN OF THE FERRARI KILLER!

The competition was low. Ferrari was having financial trouble and didn’t even compete the last year. But those sound like excuses and I don’t like to make those. Ferrari opted to focus on F1 which they dominate and everyone actually claims that Ford chased Ferrari away in Lemans. LOL Then wouldn’t they have come back after the GT40 left. It was a financial decision. Besides, that has no bearing on the present. You want to talk 60s go to the older GT40 forums where I can inform you that GT40s at the time were assisted by the Aston Martin crew out of Britain, and piloted by the best New Zealander to take the wheel, Bruce Mclaren. Of course it was destined to do well. Even this one is rumoured to have Pininfarina assistance (a branch of the Ferrari tree). Kind of sounds like Ford knows her limitations. When they want to build something exceptional they go elsewhere. I’m not trashing them, but that is an observation I couldn’t help make.
    <!-- Signature -->

12. aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh..........the sequal! next on the menu vipers! dessert vettes!

13. Re: RETURN OF THE FERRARI KILLER!

Keep dreaming.
    BTW the Ferrari has like 9 wins in lemans, ford has 4. Ferrari killer?
    The 360, 575,F60, and 456 would all ass rape this.

14. Re: RETURN OF THE FERRARI KILLER!

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. The 360 and 456 and 575 have no where near the numbers that this car will have. None of these even have a sub 4 sec 0-60. Now the F60 will be able to compete with this car. Of course, that is at 4 times the price if you could even get one. I have driven the 360 and the Porsche 996TT. The 996TT is a much better car in the performance department than the 360 and IMO the 996TT will have a hard time running with the GT40. The 360 is a beautiful car, but it's numbers don't match it's looks.

15. Re: RETURN OF THE FERRARI KILLER!

You can’t be serious! I read in Sports Car International that this thing will be good for 180mph/290kmh and it’s acceleration will be well into the 4 second range at 60mph so where ever you got your numbers disregard them. So this 5.4 liter V8 will struggle to compete with 3.4 liter Modenas (despite the 2 liter advantage) and get wrecked by the 550, 575, and GTO line like the F40, F50, and the F60. Shit the driver of this car wouldn’t have time to read the first letter on the F60’s license plate when it zooms by. Honestly, it might take the 355 but even that would remain to be seen. And this was called the Ferrari killer because it started winning when Ferrari stopped competing in lemans and still doesn’t have as many wins as Ferrari.

16. Re: RETURN OF THE FERRARI KILLER!

cornu

This car hurt Ferrari in the 60s, and it'll hurt Ferrari again. It's not aimed at the F60, it'll cost less than the 360, which is probably Ferrari's biggest seller. I'd be willing to bet that this car will put a serious dent in 360 sales. It'll be faster too.<!-- Signature -->

17. Re: RETURN OF THE FERRARI KILLER!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from cornu</i>
    <b>Keep dreaming.
    BTW the Ferrari has like 9 wins in lemans, ford has 4. Ferrari killer?
    The 360, 575,F60, and 456 would all ass rape this.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Why do you say that? This has significantly more power. Other than that, we don't know much at all about it. The aerodynamics look top notch, as does the weight distrabution, as does the power and desighn. This is using an all new chasis, that we now very little about. I would bet this is on a level with a 550.<!-- Signature -->

18. Re: RETURN OF THE FERRARI KILLER!

Fords are for people with cowboy hats and small dicks!

19. Re: RETURN OF THE FERRARI KILLER!

<b>You can’t be serious! I read in Sports Car International that this thing will be good for 180mph/290kmh and it’s acceleration will be well into the 4 second range at 60mph so where ever you got your numbers disregard them. So this 5.4 liter V8 will struggle to compete with 3.4 liter Modenas (despite the 2 liter advantage) and get wrecked by the 550, 575, and GTO line like the F40, F50, and the F60. Shit the driver of this car wouldn’t have time to read the first letter on the F60’s license plate when it zooms by. Honestly, it might take the 355 but even that would remain to be seen. And this was called the Ferrari killer because it started winning when Ferrari stopped competing in lemans and still doesn’t have as many wins as Ferrari.

The Ferrai numbers came from this site and the GT40 estimates came from MotorTrend which are probably conservative based on the estimated weight and know horsepower/torque. So you believe the Modena with 395 horsepower and more weight will out perform the GT40 with 500 horsepower and less weight. Use some common sense.

20. Re: RETURN OF THE FERRARI KILLER!

Here is some common sense, Ford claims a top speed of 180mph and a 0-60 of under 5 seconds. Now look at the Ferraris on this site and figure out who will kill who.

21. Re: RETURN OF THE FERRARI KILLER!

<b>Here is some common sense, Ford claims a top speed of 180mph and a 0-60 of under 5 seconds. Now look at the Ferraris on this site and figure out who will kill who.
    Why would you call that common sense?<!-- Signature -->

22. Re: RETURN OF THE FERRARI KILLER!

The top speed is artificially limited via a computer chip and 0-60 will certainly be under 5 seconds. Under 4 seconds is under 5 seconds. Here is the common sense. 500 horsepower, less weight is going to be faster to 60 than 400 horsepower, more weight. You don't need a physics degree to understand that.

23. Re: RETURN OF THE FERRARI KILLER!

LOL, if you think this will kill Ferraris just go look at the concept for the new F60.

24. Re: RETURN OF THE FERRARI KILLER!

The GT40 is conservatively rated for 180mph because of the governing, and there concern is that there is no rear wing to create downforce, and prevent the car from lifting off. I'm not quite sure why that is a concern though, considering the original GT40 MKI weighed in at 2200lb and didn't have a rear wing.

25. Re: RETURN OF THE FERRARI KILLER!

<b>The competition was low. Ferrari was having financial trouble and didn’t even compete the last year. But those sound like excuses and I don’t like to make those. Ferrari opted to focus on F1 which they dominate and everyone actually claims that Ford chased Ferrari away in Lemans. LOL Then wouldn’t they have come back after the GT40 left. It was a financial decision. Besides, that has no bearing on the present. You want to talk 60s go to the older GT40 forums where I can inform you that GT40s at the time were assisted by the Aston Martin crew out of Britain, and piloted by the best New Zealander to take the wheel, Bruce Mclaren. Of course it was destined to do well. Even this one is rumoured to have Pininfarina assistance (a branch of the Ferrari tree). Kind of sounds like Ford knows her limitations. When they want to build something exceptional they go elsewhere. I’m not trashing them, but that is an observation I couldn’t help make.

ever have a situation in a college class where you felt you knew the answer to a question on the homework, but just to make sure, you choose to get assistance from a friend in the class or the professor? well, that's essentially what ford is doing when they lobby for input from other exotic automakers when designing and building a car like the new gt40. it doesn't mean they couldn't have accomplished it on their own, but it helps to make sure you did everything right from the start than to have to come back and fix the problem later....after it's become a public relations nightmare. where do you see the fault in ford, who does not normally focus on the exotic sector of the market, getting a little advice from a company that spends every hour of the day engineering them? personally, i'd say that's the way it should be done. if i bought a gt40 and new that ford had consulted with a company like ferrari on it, just for example, i would feel a lot better about that car. not because i don't trust ford, but two heads tend to be better than one in situations like this. in my opinion, ford would be doing everything RIGHT if they were doing as you say. my thoughts on the subject.