RM Auctions at Amelia Island 2007

Discussion in 'Events' started by ajzahn, Feb 28, 2007.

  1. #1 ajzahn, Feb 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    RM Auctions at Amelia Island 2007 - Preview

    Grossing over $21m last year, Ontario-based auctioneers RM have assembled another stellar catalogue with 101 motor car entries, many of which are from the very ‘top drawer’, such as this 1971 Porsche 917 Spyder, estimated at $850,000 - 1,000,000.

    Starting life as a coupé in 1970, the 917 Spyder was converted to open form in the winter of ‘70/71 and was Finnish driver Leo Kinnunen’s mount for his European Interserie championship win in 1971. Since then, it has passed into mainly US collecting circles, has been restored to a very original set-up with a fresh 5.4 litre flat-12, and with due preparation would make a fantastic historic entry in 2007.

    The 917’s not the only rare competition Porsche in the sale. There’s also one of the famous John L. Paul Jnr. and Snr. Light blue/yellow Porsche 935s, one that finished first overall in both the Daytona 24 Hours and Sebring 12 Hours classic marathons. It’s estimated at $750,000 - 950,000, while the fabulous ex-Joest Racing 1981 Porsche 935/78 "Moby Dick" will cost a prospective Le Mans Classic competitor between $400,000 and $500,000. A brave man would be required behind the wheel, as in-period the factory car saw 221 mph on the (pre-chicane) Mulsanne straight at Le Mans and these motors were capable of producing 800 HP...

    Be-winged and slick-shod racers apart, the sale features a good selection of cars from the classic periods RM are so good at concentrating on: pre-War super luxury includes the 1932 Bentley 8-Liter Short Chassis Fixed Head Coupe ($1,000,000 - 1,300,000), the 1939 Lagonda V12 Drophead Coupé ($300,000 - 400,000) and the 1929 Duesenberg Model J Dual Cowl Phaeton ($1,600,000 - 2,000,000), while 1960s’ mainly Shelby racing and sports cars number the 1963 Shelby King Cobra Cooper Type 61M Monaco-Ford ($600,000 - 900,000), the 1966 Shelby GT350 "R" Model Conversion ($175,000 - 190,000) and the 1965 Shelby GT350 "Supercharged", at $500,000 - 600,000 a car described by the vendor as "the most historic and original 1965 GT350 that he has ever seen".

    He should know what he’s talking about as he has owned some 20 of these early Shelbys!

    Other significant entries include a 1939 Delahaye 135MS Grand Sport Roadster, $1,000,000 - 1,400,000, a 1972 Ferrari 365 GTS/4 Michelotti Nart Spyder, $500,000 - 700,000, and a cute little 1965 Fiat Jolly 500 Beach Car at $25,000 - 36,000. The latter, like many entries is ‘Offered Without Reserve’.

    The Sale will be held on 11.00 am on Saturday March 10 at The Ritz-Carlton, 4750 Amelia Island Parkway, Amelia Island, Florida 32034, USA.

    Editor's Note: As if you didn't know, a date for your diarys - RM Auction in association with Sotheby's will be holding the Legenda e Passione Auction at Maranello on May 20th this year, surely likely to be one of the events of 2007. Do contact the European team on the numbers below for details on registration, travel planning and car consignment.


    RM Auctions in association with Sotheby's
    34-35 New Bond Street
    London W1A 2AA
    UK
    >>> www.rmauctions.com
     
  2. RM Auctions at Amelia Island 2007 - Preview

    I'm going to make my best effort to go.
     
  3. #3 ajzahn, Mar 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    RM Auctions at Amelia Island 2007 - Preview

    1981 Porsche 935/78 group IV "Moby Dick"
    ESTIMATE: $400,000 - $500,000

    Specifications:
    700bhp, twin turbocharged 3.2 liter flat six-cylinder, four-speed and reverse manual in unit with engine, four-wheel independent suspension with Macpherson strut with lower wishbones at the front and trailing arms with torsion bars in rear and four-wheel competition brakes.

    In 1976, new FIA regulations for the World Manufacturers Championship saw the introduction of a “Silhouette” formula, which benefited Porsche enormously as their new Porsche 930 Turbo was used as a base upon which to build their formidable flame-breathing, slope-nosed, all-conquering 935. So successful were the “ordinary” bodyshell equipped factory and customer racing teams in 1976 and 1977 that the factory designed and built three “ultimate” 935s in 1978. They would come to be known within the factory-racing department.

    >>> www.anamera.com/en/find/list/detailpage/car/6335/0/index.html?no_cache=1&tx_anamerashowroom_pi1%5BRET%5D=20&tx_anamerashowroom_pi1%5Bitem%5D=2#THUMB2
     
  4. #4 ajzahn, Mar 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    RM Auctions at Amelia Island 2007 - Preview

    1981 Porsche 935 IMSA Group 5 Race Car
    ESTIMATE: $750,000 - $950,000

    Specifications:
    750+ horsepower 3.2 liter twin turbocharged flat six-cylinder engine, four-speed transaxle, four-wheel independent suspension with coil springs and tubular shock absorbers, four-wheel disc brakes.

    The saga of the Porsche 935 started out innocently enough as Porsche adapted its 930 Turbo road car to racing. Turbocharging had already conclusively demonstrated its value at Porsche on the all-conquering 917 sports-racing cars but the 935 and its variants would give new and added significance to the concept of “all-conquering.” The 930 Turbo Porsche was introduced at the September 1973 Frankfurt Motor Show and the Turbo Carrera Group 4 competition car followed.

    >>> www.anamera.com/en/find/list/detailpage/car/7110/0/index.html?no_cache=1&tx_anamerashowroom_pi1%5BRET%5D=20&tx_anamerashowroom_pi1%5Bitem%5D=3#THUMB2
     
  5. #5 ajzahn, Mar 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    RM Auctions at Amelia Island 2007 - Preview

    1971 Porsche 917 Spyder
    ESTIMATE: $850,000 - $1,000,000

    Specifications:
    5.4 liter flat 12-cylinder, air-cooled, five-speed gearbox in unit with Transaxle, multi-tubular space frame chassis with fiberglass reinforced plastic.

    Collectors consider the 917 to be the most desirable Porsche race car ever built, commanding the very top prices in all market conditions for the past 20 years. The reason is not hard to discover, as the 917 was the last step in a progression of the new era of Porsche racing cars that began with the 906 in 1966. The 3-liter engined 908 won the World Championship in 1969, but Porsche feared it would never have enough horsepower to win overall honors at Le Mans. This feat was as important for Porsche as winning the World Championship against the Ford GT40s, Lola T70s and the anticipated McLaren Group 4 coupe.

    When the FIA dropped the production requirement for Group 4 5-liter sports cars from 50 to 25, the Porsche factory saw its opportunity and the 917 was born. Using the 908 chassis as a starting point, the 4.5-liter, 12-cylinder, aluminum-tube framed 917 was unveiled at the Geneva Auto Show in March 1969. By May 1, with 25 examples built, the FIA homologated the 917 as a Group 4 sports car.

    Despite its awesome power output, the 917 was not an immediate success. The handling of this mighty beast was enough to frighten most of the factory drivers, who much preferred to drive the less powerful 908. At Le Mans in practice for 1969, the factory’s drivers reported that the car wandered across the track at its over 200mph top speed, in spite of which, it nearly won the race on its first appearance there, so mighty was its performance and velocity.

    Despite this, a short-tail coupe achieved the 917’s first victory at Zeltweg, Austria, in August, 1969. Over the winter, John Wyer’s JW racing team took over the running of the 917 from the factory and swiftly changed the rear bodywork to resemble that of the Lola T70 coupe, eliminating the bad handling at a stroke. In Wyer’s Gulf Oil-sponsored team’s hands, the 917 won the World Championship both in 1970 and 1971 before being outlawed in favor of 3-liter cars once more. A 917K entered by the Porsche-Salzburg team.

    >>> www.anamera.com/en/find/list/detailpage/car/7111/0/index.html?no_cache=1&tx_anamerashowroom_pi1%5BRET%5D=20&tx_anamerashowroom_pi1%5Bitem%5D=4#THUMB2
     
  6. RM Auctions at Amelia Island 2007 - Preview

    pictures of the Michelotti Nart spider ?
     
  7. #7 ajzahn, Mar 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    RM Auctions at Amelia Island 2007 - Preview

    OT: 237
    ESTIMATE: $500,000 - $700,000
    CHASSIS NO: 16467

    Specifications:
    352hp, 4,380cc twin overhead cam all-alloy V12 with six Weber twin choke carburetors, five-speed manual gearbox, four-wheel independent suspension and four-wheel disc brakes. Wheelbase: 94.5"

    By the late sixties, Lamborghini and others were offering double overhead cam engines with multi-carb setups. Although Ferrari’s 275 GTB/4 was more than a match in performance, the public wanted more sophistication. The result was the car many consider Ferrari’s ultimate road car, the 365 GTB/4 Daytona.

    Introduced in 1968 with production beginning in 1969, the 365 GTB/4 was Ferrari’s response to an evolving market and, even more important, changing regulations in its most important market, the United States, where increasingly stringent emissions standards and rigid safety-related regulations had made the previous generation of Ferraris a difficult sell. The 365 GTB/4 was bigger, both in bulk and in the power to propel it, more luxuriously equipped and was wrapped in a Pininfarina-designed, Scaglietti-built body that was equally a departure from earlier Ferraris.

    Not only did the Daytona offer the features, it delivered the goods. It was the fastest production car of its time, with a top speed just over 174 miles per hour. And yet – with power brakes, air conditioning, and leather interior – it was also a high speed “gentleman’s express.” One of the last hand built Ferraris, the Daytona is one of the most desirable Ferraris of all time.

    The 365 GTB/4 was given the name “Daytona” after Ferrari’s victory in the Daytona 24 Hours and took off to sales success. Road & Track magazine summed up the Daytona’s attributes succinctly, sub-heading their October 1970 Road Test, “The fastest – and best – GT is not necessarily the most exotic.” It was still a front-engined, rear wheel drive berlinetta but what a sublime, powerful and highly developed berlinetta it was. The V12 engine was barely recognizable as derived from Gioacchino Colombo’s 20 year old design, lengthened to accommodate the 81mm bore needed to give it 4,390cc of displacement, fitted with twin cam cylinder heads for high rpm and better breathing through a sextet of Weber 40 DCN 20 carburetors. Its increased displacement was needed to deliver sufficient power to cope with the air injection system required to meet U.S. emissions regulations and also to propel the Daytona’s not inconsiderable bulk. Early in its development Ferrari quoted a target weight of 2,640 pounds. In production it weighed in at well over 3,000 pounds.

    The Daytona’s engine, however, was up to the challenge. Its top speed was three miles per hour faster than the Miura’s and it out accelerated its mid-engined competitor by half a second in 400 meters. It was a mighty automobile that handled as well as it went thanks to 7 1/2 inch wide, 15 inch wheels, 215/70 Michelin tires and Ferrari’s four-wheel independent suspension with coil springs and tube shocks that had proven itself in nearly a decade of successful Ferrari sports racing cars.

    The example presented here is an original Daytona Spyder, the 71st car built of a total 121. It is an original left hand drive model built for the United States market. Inspection of the build records reveals the original paint color was light red with black leather seats and a full black interior, air conditioning and instruments for the U.S. market. Upon completion by Ferrari, 16467 was sent to Modern Classic Motors, Reno, Nevada. It was then promptly sold to a Mr. Greer.

    In 1975, while being used in the filming of the movie “A Star is Born” (Warner Bros, Kris Kristofferson, Barbara Streisand), it was badly damaged. Upon needing substantial repair, 16467 was sold to Luigi Chinetti who repaired the car at an internal cost of $6,000. Instead of repairing the bodywork in its original style, Luigi Chinetti commissioned Giovanni Michelotti to design and execute a special one-off body for the car. The approach to the design and construction of the car is in that typical “carrozzeria tradition” the customer, not the maker, has gone to Michelotti, to ask him to design and build a limited number of cars. Although the Ferrari Daytona, is out of production at Maranello, Luigi Chinetti gave Michelotti the task to come up with a contemporary, exclusive spyder with the confidence he could get the right car. And as everybody can see, he was not wrong. Although neither probably knew it at the time, this was the last car the great Giovanni Michelotti ever designed.

    Due to the large 12-cylinder engine in the front, Michelotti found designing the front a challenge, but with a thin bumper, pop up lights and straight but clean lines, Michelotti masterfully solved the problem. The interior was also redesigned with simple but contemporary lines, while maintaining a rather classic layout for the original, factory mounted instruments. The upholstering of seats is in leather, and inserted in the fascia and door panels is a warm dark brown cloth. The beige soft top is a conventional convertible design, as the car is expected to be driven in warm and sunny climates.

    The newly redesigned Michelotti NART Spyder was proudly displayed on the Michelotti stand at the Torino Motor Show in 1980. From that point on, 16467 has been in the tight clutches of just a few collectors in the United States and today remains in very presentable overall condition, ready to be driven and enjoyed at all speeds.


    >>> www.rmauctions.com/Carlist.cfm?SaleCode=AM07&start=1&Category=Cars&SortBy=MK&View=Normal#
     
  8. RM Auctions at Amelia Island 2007 - Preview

    You should, and get a press pass too. It gets you into the auction, the show, some free parking, and lunch.
     
  9. RM Auctions at Amelia Island 2007 - Preview

    Make sure you say you don't know me, the PR guy is a real a$$ at times.
     
  10. #10 Richard Owen, Mar 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
  11. RM Auctions at Amelia Island 2007 - Preview

    I got a general Catalog...

    theres also a Group 44 1976/1977 Trans-Am Jaguar XJS, 1970 Plymouth RoadRunner Superbird, Porsche 356 special coupe (set a 151.xx mph speed record at bonneville), Cadillac V16 as well.
     
  12. RM Auctions at Amelia Island 2007 - Preview

    BMW BRINGS ENDURANCE RACING HISTORY TO AMELIA ISLAND CONCOURS d’ELEGANCE
    03/02/2007

    Woodcliff Lake, NJ - March 2, 2007... BMW of North America, LLC and BMW Mobile Tradition will display two important pieces of the company’s endurance racing history at the March 9th - 11th Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance. The grounds of the Ritz-Carlton Amelia Island will host the event and the first-ever North American visit of the Isle of Man Tourist Trophy-winning 1939 BMW RS 500 Supercharged Racing Motorcycle as well as the 1941 BMW 328 Mille Miglia Touring Roadster.
    BMW enthusiasts will also enjoy seeing two racing cars that found success at the legendary 24 Hours of Le Mans. In addition to the two prewar machines, BMW will bring an example of the 1999 Le Mans winning BMW V12 LMR and a 1996 BMW-powered McLaren F1 GTR.

    1939 BMW RS 500 Supercharged Racing Bike
    Since it was first held in 1907, the Isle of Man TT race was dominated by British motorcycles and riders. That ended in 1939 when BMW and its factory team rider Georg “Schorsch” Meier won the prestigious “Senior Tourist Trophy” road race. His BMW RS (Renn Sport) 500 combined telescopic rear wheel suspension (introduced the previous year), the lightest weight of all bikes entered, and a supercharged 500cc boxer engine to record an average speed of 89.38 miles per hour, a new course record.

    1941 BMW 328 Mille Miglia Touring Roadster
    In the late 1930s the BMW 328 ruled the 2-liter sports car racing class. One of Europe’s toughest races was the grueling 1000-mile Mille Miglia and for the running of the 1940 Mille Miglia, BMW prepared a team of aluminum-bodied, streamlined roadsters and coupes based on the 328. In addition to increasing the power of the 1971 cc. six-cylinder engine to 135 hp (a sensational value for this time period), the coachbuilding firm Touring, of Milan, Italy, was hired to construct lightweight "Superleggera" aluminum bodies to take full advantage of the increasing understanding of aerodynamics. The lines of the roadsters were similar to the coupe that not only won the two-liter class, but the race overall.

    The 328 Mille Miglia Touring roadster was a further development, designed to compete in 1941 in the proposed Berlin to Rome race and the 1941 Mille Miglia, but was never fielded after both races were cancelled due to the war.

    61 years later, on the 75th anniversary of the Mille Miglia in 2002, the roadster fulfilled its mission. With husband and wife team of Giuliano and Lucia Canè this BMW Mobile Tradition-prepared 328 took the overall win at the Mille Miglia Historica.

    1999 BMW V12 LMR
    Jointly developed with Formula 1 partner WilliamsF1, the V12 LMR was built to challenge the 1999 24 Hours of Le Mans.

    The V12 LMR on display at the concours debuted at the 12 Hours at Sebring in March of 1999 winning the race by the closest margin to-date. Three months later the V12 LMR of Yannick Dalmas (F), Pierluigi Martini (I) and Joachim Winkelhock (D) drove to the front of the field and gave BMW its first ever overall victory at Le Mans. The V12 LMR was the first racing car since 1987 to win both the Sebring and Le Mans classics in the same year.

    The V12 LMR continued to compete in the American Le Mans Series, winning races in 1999 at Sears Point, Laguna Seca and Las Vegas – finishing second at Portland and Road Atlanta. In its second year of ALMS competition, the car won twice at Charlotte and Silverstone.

    Retiring only twice for mechanical fault in eighteen races entered, the V12 LMR is a testament to BMW’s commitment to advanced automotive design and technology.

    McLaren F1 GTR
    The McLaren F1 was the world's fastest and most expensive production car, and no expense was spared in providing it with state of the art technology in every detail. McLaren turned to BMW to develop an engine worthy of this supercar and BMW responded with a 6.0-liter, V-12, developing 636 horsepower.

    The F1 GTR was the racing version, which differs only slightly from the production car. Several F1 GTRs were entered in the grueling 24-hour race at Le Mans in 1995. At the end, it claimed victory as well as third, fourth and fifth overall, an unprecedented success for a first-time entry. In 1995, F1 GTRs also won the 1000 kilometer race at Suzuka and the 4-Hours of Silverstone.

    In 1996-97-98, McLaren F1 GTRs again took on the challenge of Le Mans, finishing 4th, 2nd, and 4th overall in 1996, ‘97 and ‘98 respectively.
     
  13. RM Auctions at Amelia Island 2007 - Preview

    Holy shit, someone has to go there and take loads of pics. A 917 spyder, a 935 in an awesome livery and a #$%#ing 935 moby dick!
     
  14. RM Auctions at Amelia Island 2007 - Preview

    I told you, i am going to the preview tomorrow! Dunno about the auction, don't have media press pass, etc, so I don't think the photos would be that good at teh auction (plus too many people in my way/in front of the camera/not good lighting)
     
  15. RM Auctions at Amelia Island 2007 - Preview

    i went to it, got 1266 pictures (well, 50 or so was of a car parked in the "parking lot" [on a golf course])
     
  16. RM Auctions at Amelia Island 2007 - Preview

    Specifications:
    Model 906. 160bhp, 445 cu. in. side valve V12 engine with Stromberg downdraft carburetion featuring automatic cold start, three-speed synchromesh transmission, solid axle and semi-elliptic leaf spring front suspension with shaft drive
    with hypoid live rear axle with
    semi-elliptic leaf spring rear suspension and four-wheel adjustable vacuum assisted brakes. Wheelbase: 1471/2"

    The Packard Twin Six

    In 1932, the Great Depression�s grip on America and its burgeoning automobile industry tightened into a stranglehold. Packard still stood at the top of the luxury market, but its future, like that of its competitors both domestic and foreign, was tenuous. Response to the economy�s torment was slow throughout the auto industry, and the course that Alvan Macauley had set for Packard during the flush years of the late twenties was at first pursued resolutely.

    It is ironic that the greatest creations of the Classic Era came during the depths of the recession. Although Packard was in excellent financial health, the company ultimately became concerned about the devastating effect of the Depression on sales in the fine car segment. Packard�s response was to redouble its efforts, meeting the threat from Cadillac and Lincoln with the V12 Twin Six � and a range of spectacular custom bodies.

    Despite Packard�s success in providing high-quality chassis for custom coachbuilders, Macauley advocated bringing custom coachbuilding in-house, and 1931 was the year his plan was implemented. His logic was impeccable � Packard�s body-building capabilities were second to none, and the quality of its in-house work was equal to, if not better than, independent coachbuilders. Better coordination between chassis construction and custom coachbuilding, upgrading the styling and trim of cataloged bodies, and economies of scale would allow Packard to increase margins and operating efficiency.

    Behind this change, Packard brought its full technical, managerial and financial power to bear on the dramatically different market of America in Depression. Development of the lower-priced Light Eight was rushed ahead while its polar opposite, the new Twin Six V12, was aimed at the pinnacle of Packard clients, those captains of industry and finance whose assets were sufficiently vast to be immune even to the effects of the Depression. Both debuted as Ninth Series 1932 models, announced on June 23, 1931.

    Dietrich, Inc.

    One of the most respected designers of the classic era, Ray Dietrich was also one of the most influential. Dietrich began his career as a designer at Brewster in New York. More than just a coachbuilder, Brewster was the Harrod�s of coachbuilding, catering to America�s leading families � many of whom had patronized Brewster�s for generations in what was known as the carriage trade.

    Young, bright, and talented, Dietrich�s skills were put to good use at Brewster. As a young man, however, he dreamed of more � he wanted his own company. He developed a fast friendship with Tom Hibbard, another Brewster designer, and together they began to spend their free time planning a venture together.

    Unfortunately, one day in 1920 Brewster learned of the plan, and summarily dismissed the pair. Forced to implement their plan sooner than expected, they were long on ideas but short on money. They decided to spend what little they had on a first-class location, and soon they were operating at 2 Columbus Circle, a prestigious New York City address.

    They named the new company LeBaron Carrossiers because Hibbard was something of a Francophile, and they both agreed that the name sounded sophisticated. One of the interesting things about the new venture is that they chose to concentrate on design � and didn�t even have a fixed relationship with a coachbuilding firm.

    After a slow start, projects began to be awarded to the talented pair, but it was proving difficult to earn a living without the profits of body building. At about this time, the owners of the Briggs Body Company made a proposal � they would trade shares and merge the companies. In effect, LeBaron would become the design arm of Briggs, while LeBaron would have the control � and profits � that came from building bodies. The deal was consummated in 1923.

    Just before the Briggs deal, Hibbard and Dietrich were approached by Ralph Roberts, a talented designer who wanted a job with LeBaron. In the end, they decided not only to hire him, but make him a partner as well � though his responsibility would be for business management, as the firm already had two designers.

    At about the same time, Tom Hibbard went to Paris to look into the feasibility of establishing a European base of operations for LeBaron Inc. While there he formed a friendship with fellow American designer Howard �Dutch� Darrin, and the two decided to create their own Parisian firm, and Hibbard and Darrin was born. Hibbard cabled Dietrich to give him the bad news.

    In the meantime, Ray Dietrich had met Edsel Ford at the New York Auto Salon. The two hit it off together, and what was to become a lifelong friendship was born. In the meantime, Lincoln became LeBaron�s biggest customer, designing production bodies as well as limited-production series customs for Lincoln chassis.

    Eventually, Edsel Ford decided he wanted to integrate the design and coachbuilding business more closely with Ford�s operations, and he encouraged Murray, Ford�s largest body building firm, to approach Hibbard and Dietrich.

    Roberts didn�t want to take the step, concerned about their partners at Briggs. While Dietrich seemed to share his concerns, after a visit to Murray in Detroit, he decided that he couldn�t ignore the opportunity and cabled Roberts to tell him that he was leaving LeBaron to form Dietrich Inc., which would in effect become the design arm of Murray, with Dietrich owning 50% of the company.

    There, his smart and elegant designs attracted the attention of Packard management, and as a result, Packard became one of Dietrich�s best customers. Lacking an in-house styling department, Packard incorporated Dietrich design cues in later production cars. In fact, after 1933, all open Packards carried Dietrich body tags, recognizing the influence of Dietrich�s work.

    The Sport Phaetons

    Dietrich Inc. still built a few custom bodies for the senior Packards, and these special cars � known today as the
    �V-windshield custom Dietrichs� have come to epitomize the ultimate in classic styling. Every line is exquisite, starting with the graceful v-windshield, continuing with the Dietrich trademark beltline, and finishing with a superbly crafted top that makes the car look as good with the top up as it does down.

    It has been said that design excellence is as much about the details as it is about the vision, and that is certainly true of these remarkable Sport Phaetons. Packard�s standard open cars were built on the 142� wheelbase, while the Dietrich Individual Customs were mounted on the longer 1471/2� chassis. This longer chassis allowed a better balance of the proportions of the body, with a roomy passenger compartment situated behind a long, graceful hood � and ahead of a unique and striking tapered tail with a smartly integrated trunk.

    One of the most fascinating features of the Sport Phaeton body is the mechanism that activates the rear windshield. After raising the windshield from its hidden compartment, a pair of side wings swing out and hook to mechanisms recessed into the rear doors. Once raised, passengers can enter or leave the rear compartment easily and gracefully, while the side windows swing effortlessly out of the way.

    Most collectors prefer the lines of the �32 Twin Six Sport Phaetons to those of the 1933 models (no 1934s were built), primarily because of the more graceful, classic sweeping fender line. It is also true that the larger 18� wheels, particularly in chrome, give the car a presence and regal stance that distinguishes the Twin Six from the later Twelve chassis.

    The lack of surviving records makes it difficult to be certain how many of these lovely sport phaeton bodies were built, but many historians feel that it was not likely more than twelve cars. Today, only seven remain, of which just five were built on the prestigious twelve cylinder chassis. Of these five, only two were crafted in 1932.

    The example offered here is, therefore, one of the two surviving on the Twin Six chassis. The other has been part of a prominent long-term collection for many years, and is unlikely to ever be offered for sale. In addition, two examples on the DeLuxe Eight chassis survive, and three examples on the 1933 Twelve chassis remain, all of which are part of long term or museum collections.

    It is clear that these cars seldom trade, and this is believed to be the first time the coveted 1932 Twin Six has ever been offered at public sale. Consequently, RM Auctions advises interested parties to examine this offering closely as it is likely to be many more years before another such opportunity arises.

    The Twin Six: Out of Africa

    Although the original owner of body #5494, the example offered here, is not known (Packard records having long since been destroyed), it is apparent that the car was well loved, as it was updated in 1938 by fitting the graceful original Twin Six sport phaeton body on a brand new 1938 Packard Twelve chassis.

    In order to do this, the upper cowl and windshield assembly were fitted to the new 1938 cowl. At the same time, a more modern �torpedo� style rear body section was grafted on, and a set of up-to-date, pontoon-style Packard fenders were fitted.

    Although there is no proof as to the identity of the shop that carried out the work, later inspections during restoration revealed exceptional workmanship. A persistent rumor credits the work to Inskip in New York, and a tantalizing photograph may provide proof. Printed on page 153 of John Webb deCampi�s book Rolls Royce in America, the photo shows a new 1938 Packard Twelve chassis on the floor of the Inskip workshop, clearly in the process of having a different body fitted to it.

    In any event, the owner � possibly the original one � is believed to have been in the service of the U.S. Diplomatic Corps, and accepted a posting to South Africa in the late 1930s. Accordingly, the Packard was shipped there, where it was to remain until 1967 or 1968, when its whereabouts came to the attention of long time classic car enthusiast Jim Hull during a trip to Johannesburg. Hull brought the car back to the U.S., and enjoyed his unique Packard Custom Dietrich for many years.

    Meanwhile, the only other surviving 1932 Twin Six Dietrich Sport Phaeton (Body #5493) was in the hands of Dick Dewey, a well-known Packard enthusiast at the time. Noted collector Bob Bahre of Oxford, ME had tried unsuccessfully for many years to buy the car from Dewey, believing it to be the only survivor.

    Thus, when Bahre learned of the existence of the Hull car, he quickly negotiated its purchase. As it happened, Bob owned a very low mileage 1932 Packard Twin Six chassis carrying rather antiquated 1920s Fleetwood coachwork that had been installed by its original owner in the period � further evidence of the propensity of Classic Era owners to change favored bodies, just as the owner of the example offered here would do in 1938.

    Bob saw the chance to fulfill his dream of finally owning a �32 Twin Six Dietrich Sport Phaeton, and arranged for Beaver, a well respected restorer at the time, to return the Twin Six Sport Phaeton to its original form by installing it on his exceptional 1932 Twin Six chassis. In the process, Beaver carefully reversed the �updates� that had been carried out in the late 1930s.

    Significantly, #5494�s original Dietrich body tags have remained on the car, and the production sequence confirms that this is the last of the two sequentially numbered survivors. Twin Six production began about mid-year, and the two surviving Deluxe Eight cars have low body numbers, while the two Twin Sixes have higher numbers. This, of course, is consistent with events at the factory, where eight-cylinder Custom Dietrich production ceased with the introduction of the Twin Six.

    After Beaver had completed the wood and sheet metal work, but before the restoration could be finished, Dick Dewey approached Bob Bahre, finally willing to sell his car (Body #5493), on the condition that Bob trade him the car under restoration at Beaver (Body #5494) � plus a cash difference. Bob didn�t want to sell the �Out of Africa� car but agreed to the deal on the condition that if Dick ever sold it, he would have right of first refusal.

    A deal was struck, and Dick took delivery of the unfinished Sport Phaeton. He completed the remaining work � mainly paint and final assembly � and began to drive the car extensively on tours and events. During this time, it became one of the best known Dietrich Sport Phaetons, as Dick drove it everywhere, putting tens of thousands of nearly trouble free miles on the car.

    Five or six years later, in the early 1990s, the Sport Phaeton was starting to show its age, and once again, Dick went to see his friend, Bob Bahre. Bob exercised his right of first refusal, and traded Dick a lovely 1932 Super Eight production phaeton plus cash difference to reacquire his beloved Twin Six Sport Phaeton, Body #5494, the last one built.

    Having acquired the only other Twin Six Sport Phaeton, Bob had in effect cornered the market in these fine cars. He began to make plans to freshen his new acquisition, but before he could start work, the vendor approached Bob about selling one of his Twin Sixes. Initially, he refused, but several months later � and with ever increasing offers � the vendor was finally able to persuade Bob to part with the car.

    Shortly after taking possession of the car, he decided that a car of this caliber and importance should be restored to the highest levels, and accordingly he delivered the car to RM Auto Restorations in Canada where a no-holds-barred restoration was undertaken. Even though the car was running well, considering the amount of driving Dewey had done, he insisted that a complete mechanical restoration be performed. As a result, every system, from brakes to suspension, steering, electrical, and driveline components was meticulously disassembled and renewed to factory specifications.

    The objective was nothing less than a Pebble Beach win, and consequently, dozens of colors and leather samples were evaluated before the car�s elegant dark violet � a shade that looks navy blue in all but the brightest light � was chosen. The leather was custom dyed to a taupe color that proved a striking complement to the paint. With all the other details attended to, the moment of truth arrived at the Pebble Beach Concours d� Elegance, and it was there � in its debut showing � that the car was awarded the Gwen Graham award for Most Elegant Open Car � a prize widely considered to be second only to Best of Show.

    Subsequently, the Packard has earned its CCCA National First Place Senior award, as well as both junior and senior AACA awards. It has never failed to earn accolades every time shown, and stands today as a testimonial to both the restorer�s art, and the vendor�s relentless drive to achieve the ultimate in classic elegance.

    The Opportunity

    Packard was the leader in the fine car market during the Classic era. Packards offered unparalleled smoothness and sophistication, combined with superb design, inside and out. They were impeccably finished and exquisitely tailored. The vee windshield Custom Dietrich designs stood at the pinnacle of the Packard world then � just as they do today.

    Any Dietrich Packard is something to be treasured, an icon that will reward its owner in many ways, from the thrill of recognition that comes with victories on the concours podium to the sublime experience of ghosting along, silently and effortlessly, through the crisp autumn air. Inevitably, as in any pursuit, even among the great, there is always a �best� � and for many Packard collectors, the best Dietrich of all is the elegant and graceful 1932 Twin Six Sport Phaeton.

    This fascinating example may well be without fault; its stunning condition permits it to be shown at the most exclusive concours, while its mechanical readiness beckons to be driven. As the only such example likely ever to be available on the open market, it almost certainly represents a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and accordingly, we recommend it highly.
     
  17. RM Auctions at Amelia Island 2007 - Preview

    1965 Shelby GT350 "Supercharged"

    Specifications:
    306hp, 289 cu. in. V8 engine, Paxton/McCulloch supercharger, Borg Warner T-10 four-speed manual transmission, independent front suspension, solid rear axle on leaf springs and over-rider traction bars, Koni shock absorbers, nine inch Detroit locker �no-spin� differential, front disc, rear drum brakes. Wheelbase: 108"

    CARROLL SHELBY/ EARLY DAYS & FORD DAYS

    Carroll Shelby is a living legend of postwar motorsports. In the early days, he seemed like an amiable east Texas �good old boy�. Scratch that surface and you would have discovered qualities of drive, ambition and a tenacity that one associates with moguls of industry. Creativity and an uncanny sense of timing were also seemingly natural facets of Shelby�s personality. Timing? Well, was it luck that he approached AC Cars about Cobra chassis just as their engine supply had dried up? Was it pure fate that he walked through Ford�s front door just as the company had decided to implement �Total Performance�? One wonders. Carroll Shelby�s racing exploits, which included a LeMans win in 1959, and his early success with the AC Cobra cars are well known so we�ll skip ahead to his Ford Mustang days.

    THE SHELBY GT350 SERIES

    While Ford�s new 1964 Mustang was a huge hit, selling some 22,000 units the first day, it would never be mistaken for a �Total Performance� poster boy, especially since this pony was based on the running gear of Ford�s old Falcon economy car. Carroll Shelby, already a Ford-related performance commodity since his AC Cobras were in Ford dealerships, was tapped to transform the wimpy Mustang into a potential �B� Production SCCA Racer. Ford brass knew they had engineers on staff who could redesign the Mustang suspension, but in picking Shelby for the program they got not only a development expert but also a superb promoter. (After all, it was Shelby who got his first Cobra featured in seven different national magazines in just one month � in fact, the same Cobra with three different paint jobs!)

    Unveiled by Shelby on January 27, 1965, his Mustang Fastback had a few subtle exterior changes: a fiberglass hood with functional hood scoop, a clean looking grille and a tricolored running horse located on the driver�s side of the grill. All Shelbys in 1965 were Wimbledon White with a blue GT350 side stripe located below the door. As a dealer option, Le Mans stripes running down the center of the body were available. The interior was a black-only option including a special flat, wood-rimmed three-spoke steering wheel. A special instrument cluster located in the center of the dash surrounded a large tach and oil pressure gauge. The GT350 featured competition seat belts. A special aluminum intake increased the solid lifter Hi-Po 289�s horsepower from 271 to 306. Exhaust from the Tri-Y headers exited in front of the rear wheels. All �65 Shelbys had Borg Warner special aluminum T-10 four-speeds, with 9-inch Detroit �no-spin� differentials. Extensive suspension work was a GT350 hallmark, including a large front stabilizer bar, special quick steering, lowered upper �A� frames, Koni shocks and traction bars. The front section was stiffened considerably with an export brace and a Monte Carlo bar. The battery was located in the trunk for better weight distribution. Altogether over 50 improvements were incorporated, the remake listed for a most reasonable price of $4,547.00. As always, Carroll Shelby, the racer, delivered the goods, for his three Team cars dominated the SCCA �B� Production ranks with Jerry Titus winning the National Championship.

    HISTORY OF 1965 SHELBY GT350 SFM5010

    5010 arrived at Shelby American on December 18, 1964. Work commenced four days later and the car was completed January 25, 1965. It was designated by Shelby American as an �Advanced Prototype� and was supercharged for experimental and development testing, following which it was uniquely fitted with Thunderbird tail lamps and employed for Publicity and Show purposes. It is the first and only 1965 GT350 prototype to be equipped with a Paxton/McCulloch supercharger � an option that was offered by Shelby American for the 1966 GT350 range.

    As an early R&D car, this prototype has many interesting features. The original Shelby I.D. tag is not stamped with an �S� (for �Street). The �S� prefix began with VIN 5S032, but the first 31 cars did not have the �street� designation. Other early specifications included hand painted side stripes and GT350 logos, early-style stainless steel braided oil pressure lines, 16-inch Cobra-type steering wheel and white painted ram air plenum hood.

    The GT350 is also documented to have been used for 1966 model year research, development and analysis. It had 1966-type side scoops fitted along with that year�s road wheels, a fold down rear seat and its most distinctive feature � the T-Bird taillights. Interestingly, their installation was contracted to Bill Stroppe�s California Race Shop whose long affiliation with Ford and Holman & Moody, went back to the Mexican Road Race days.

    It is thought that 5010 was additionally used for 1966�s twin hood scoop and dual carburetor evaluation. According to the current owner, a nationally respected Shelby authority, 5010 likely starred in the movie �Red Line 7000� with James Caan, as witnessed by circumstantial evidence found during various inspections of this Shelby:

    1. The movie car had exhaust cut-outs.
    Our car has evidence of a bracket mounted in the location of the movie car�s cut-out.
    2. Header patches.
    The original exhaust collectors are weld-patched where the cut-outs were located.
    3. Drive shaft tunnel mods.
    There is a hole in the tunnel which mounted the exhaust cut-out cable control.
    4. Head rests.
    The movie car had head rests bracketed to the seat backs. The original unrestored seats still show the screw holes for these.
    5. Mustang console.
    The movie car had a standard console and the original carpeting showed traces of its location in the car offered here.

    To further corroborate this, the company�s records show that a Shelby American promotional GT350 was rented to the movie studio just prior to this car�s fitment of the special taillights and 1966 model year mock-ups; the film connection is seconded by 5010�s Shelby American World Registry description. This publication also features a photo of this car on page 400 that clearly shows the 1966 GT350 rear brake cooling duct installation.

    OWNERSHIP CHRONOLOGY

    On October 26, 1965, its R&D and promo career concluded, 5010 was released to the public through Shelby�s own dealership, High Performance Motors of Los Angeles, CA. It was purchased by a J.B. Hunter of Costa Mesa, CA in 1966. Joe Flowers of Brunswick, Ohio became the second owner in 1974 before selling the car to the third and current keeper in 1988. The latter has owned 5010 no less than three times with David Yanoff (PA), Bill Summers (NE) and Ralph Furna (CA) being listed as �interim keepers� over the 22 year period.

    CONCLUSION

    The present owner states that 5010 is the most historic and original 1965 GT350 that he has ever seen and he must know what he is talking about since he has owned some 20 of these early Shelbys! It retains its original drive-train (engine, transmission and rear end). The list of Carroll Shelby fitted components include shock absorbers, radiator, gauges, seats and seat belts, steering wheel and center cap, horn switch, headers, hood, date-coded glass, interior, blue-dot spare tire, Shelby ID tag and all of the sheet metal.

    On file is a Shelby American Automobile Club Registry Report dated January 24, 2007, signed by National Director Howard C. Pardee after his recent inspection of this car. His report confirms that this car�s Shelby no. SFM5010 matches the known Ford serial number of 5R09K165969 as confirmed by Shelby Factory records.

    According to the present owner this car is accident-free and has never been afflicted by corrosion. Thankfully, it has never needed the dreaded �rotisserie restoration�, a process which usually eradicates every nuance of originality from an historic vehicle. Instead, 5010 has been sympathetically refurbished and rebuilt as required over the years with the result that it now exhibits an attractive patina of originality � as befits a 40 year old muscle car legend.

    1965 Shelby GT350s are by far the most desirable of the model�s five year production period and this supercharged GT350 is the best of its type that RM Auctions has ever been privileged to offer for public sale.
     
  18. RM Auctions at Amelia Island 2007 - Preview

    1932 Bentley 8-Liter Short Chassis Fixed Head Coupe

    Specifications:
    220bhp at 3,500rpm, 7,983cc, overhead camshaft inline
    six-cylinder engine, four valves per cylinder, dual carburetors, four-speed manual transmission, semi-elliptic leaf springs front and rear, four-wheel servo assisted drum brakes. Wheelbase: 144"

    First introduced at the London Motor Show in 1930, the Bentley 8-Liter made an immediate impact. It was formidable, fast and impressive, especially at 100 mph. Fitted with an Elektron crankcase and sump, the 8-liter was an extension of the immensely successful 6.5-liter powerplant that earned Bentley an exceptional reputation on the race track. However the Eight was not looking for competition on the track but rather was a focused effort aimed squarely at dethroning Rolls-Royce from their pedestal as offering the best in British luxury.

    The Bentley 8-Liter, was incredibly brisk, being capable of 100mph even fitted with formal coachwork, while the Rolls-Royce had difficulty attaining 90mph, even with lightweight coachwork. The 8-Liter found a well-polished list of customers and equally impressed the automotive scribes of the era. The Sphere of 1931 described the new 8 liter as �one of the finest examples of British Automobile Engineering that has ever been produced�, whilst an article printed in The Autocar in 1930 recounts a road test conducted on the model:

    �Had it been that the performance made the car difficult to handle on top gear at low speed, difficult to maneuver in traffic or in a confined space, harsh or noisy, then the performance by itself might be justly regarded as simply that of a sports car, though few of these features are easily noticeable even in the modern sports car, unless it has been tuned for racing. Quite on the contrary, this car can be driven really softly on its high top gear, as slowly as a man walks, and can accelerate from that without snatch and without difficulty, and the whole time the engine, being well within its power, is silent and smooth. In fact, it is only rarely apparent that there is a big engine working under the bonnet at all, and that so high a top ratio is used, when the machine is accelerated from a crawl. For all practical purposes, therefore, the machine does its work on the one gear��

    Unfortunately, its launch at a time which coincided with the Great Depression meant that the car�s exceptional quality and performance were unaffordable by most people. There were great costs involved with bringing the 8-Liter into production, and as resources continued to thin, so did the market for the car. Eventually Bentley�s chief financier, the great Woolf Barnato, in pecuniary trouble himself cut his loses and severed his ties with Bentley.

    After only 100 examples of the 8-Liter were built, Bentley was forced to cease production. To ensure that the Bentley threat would never resurface, Rolls-Royce pulled Bentley out of receivership, and created a whole new line of Bentleys that would serve as entry level cars into the ultra luxury department. Bentley was not dead, but it would never build a car as significant as the 8-Liter again.

    The majority of Bentley 8 liters were fitted with formal, heavy four-door saloon or limousine coachwork, so it is rare indeed to find one built to the very sporting specification exhibited by YX 5124. This ultra rare short chassis example is a very handsome 2-door fixed head coupe by The Mayfair Carriage Company. This British firm, originally the Progressive Carriage Company when established in 1920, changed its name in 1929 and in the 1930s was one of the important coachbuilding companies, mounting bodies on most of the more expensive British chassis.

    Chronicled as the second to last 8-Liter built, YX 5124, has a complete and known history from new with an enviable provenance. Known as one of only three 8-Liter Short Chassis Fixed Head Coupes, it is made even more desirable considering one of these three is locked away in India and likely to remain hidden from the car collections of the world. From Bentley archives as well as the host of documentation which accompanies the car in its sale, the 8-Liter was first delivered to a Mr. C.G. Hayward. Its next owner was Mr. H.J. Thomas who was then installed as Director of the Bristol Aeroplane Company. While in his ownership it is reported that the 21� wheels were replaced with 19� and the fenders and running boards were altered to incorporate tool boxes, under the pseudonym �Sajito�. Further records indicate the Bentley was off the road from 1940 � 1948 and then reappeared passing through the ownership of two English gentlemen before being purchased in 1957 by its most memorable of owners, the British Naval war hero Captain G.C. Blundell.

    Captain Blundell took delivery of his first Bentley while as a Junior Officer in the 1930s and remained true to the marque until his passing at age 93 in 1997. Most impressively the 8-Liter had remained in the good Captain�s ownership from 1957 until 1983 until it was purchased by a well-known English car collector. He immediately commissioned a complete chassis-up professional rebuild by a renowned W.O. Bentley specialist restorer in the UK. The Bentley was painstakingly returned to its past glory and restored to its original configuration. During the restoration proper care was taken to ensure that the coachwork remained well preserved and properly restored and all mechanical components were completely overhauled. The fenders, running boards and wheels were all returned to their correct, original presentation and a photographic record of the work is contained within the history file.

    YX 5124 attended many Bentley Driver�s Club events and Kensington Garden Concours� (more than 20 each in total) and is a former winner of the coveted �Best Vintage Bentley� at the 1985 Kensington Garden Concours. Notably, Johnnie Green (Bentley author and acknowledged expert in Bentleys) confided in Capt. Blundell; �he was absolutely delighted and that he had never judged or seen a more worthy or a better champion�.

    Importantly the Bentley retains its original engine and body and is rightfully equipped with a full compliment of tools as well as log books dating from 1945. All the while, this 8-Liter has performed flawlessly and has been expertly maintained and cherished by its owners. It has also been extensively exercised as it is believed to have covered in excess of 250,000 miles during its lifetime � an impressive amount for a motor car of this vintage and one which demonstrates the fabulous build quality of this remarkable model.

    Today, the 8-Liter remains mechanically and cosmetically impressive. It has been driven by its owners, been actively toured and shown in BDC events and yet has stood the test of time expertly. While no longer �a 100 point restoration�, it remains in outstanding condition. The interior, which is trimmed in the appropriate green leather, shows only minimal wear from use since the rebuild. The woodwork remains in excellent condition, as do the gauges and headliner. The engine and bay shows some signs of use but is beautifully presented and is indicative of a well-maintained car in every respect. We understand the car runs and drives as one would expect and is fully sorted and ready for continued use by its next long term owner.

    The Bentley�s exterior brightwork is very impressive and shows only minor flaws while the paintwork is also striking, being displayed in a lustrous British Racing Green and black. When fully opened, the sliding sunroof provides a large window to the sky offering both driver and passenger the benefits of open air motoring with a convenient manner of closed comfort and a simple operation. It is a truly unique feature to this Bentley and indeed one of its noteworthy features.

    With its exceptional provenance, wonderfully restored condition, unique and rare production, this 8-Liter Shot Chassis Fixed Head Coupe is a handsome representative of Bentley�s most masterful creations. Presented here just as it was when new, YX 5124, with its fabulous original Mayfair coachwork, is worthy of close consideration and inspection by all motoring enthusiasts and collectors alike.
     
  19. #19 ajzahn, Mar 17, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    RM Auctions Vintage Motor Cars at Amelia Island - 10 March 2007 - Review

    RM Auctions enjoyed another successful Amelia Island sale, selling three cars at over the magic million dollar mark, and a total of 10 cars sold for more than $500,000 each, including the 1932 Bentley 8-Liter Short Chassis Fixed Head Coupé for $962,500.

    If the ex-John L. Paul Racing 1981 Porsche 935 IMSA race car had sold (it was bid to $680,000), RM would have probably beaten last year’s figure of over $21m. As it was, the light blue/yellow 935 and 1924 Mercedes 28/95 Sport Phaeton (bid to $775,000) apart, it was a strong showing for a traditional entry of European post-War classics and inter-War super-luxury American cars like the 1932 Packard Twin Six Sport Phaeton, selling for $1,650,000, and the 1929 Duesenberg Model J Dual Cowl Phaeton ($1,490,400).

    Needless to say, the varied Shelby-related lots did well, the 1967 Shelby 427 Cobra going for $766,800, the 1965 Shelby GT350 "Supercharged" for $528,000, and the 1963 Shelby King Cobra Cooper Type 61M Monaco-Ford for $935,000. After the excesses of Arizona, US Muscle Cars were a little thinner on the ground (if that’s possible...), and you’ll have to look a little further down the top-selling list to find the 1968 Shelby GT 500KR Convertible at $225,500.

    Several racing Porsches were entered, and best-seller predictably was the fantastic ex-Kinnunen championship-winning 1971 Porsche 917 Spyder for $850,000. The ‘white whale’ 1981 Porsche 935/78 "Moby Dick" went $440,000 – in the scheme of things probably quite a good buy – while a nice ‘Bonneville Special’ 1955 Porsche 356 Special Coupé, timed at 151.52 mph on the famous salt flats sold for $159,500.


    Full results:
    >>> www.classicdriver.com/uk/magazine/3500.asp?id=13315
     
  20. radal, pics? (or a gallery link)
     
  21. i lost about 400 pics though, from a stupid mistake and they are non recoverable (ok, I lied a little, they can be recovered but they are so corrupted I can't make them have an image) and they were the last 400 or so pics i got (when the sun came out) so i lost some nice pics (for instance, I got them to open up the GT350s hood and got engine pics...). But since i kept on walking around getting nice angles (which helped HUGELY) and going back to the nicer cars, i didn't lose too much. I don't think i'll make a gallery. The reason i lost the images was cause the recycle bin couldn't handle 1266 pics and I only got 856 pics out of the recycle bin (so don't know if they are still in the recycle bin). So, learned from the mistake (don't have the external harddrive window open when your deleting pics off SD cards, in other windows and put the pics to the desktop before moving them to the external harddrive)

    I have aim if you want to see some. (lucikly I got awesome pics of the cobra still, and quite a lot)
     

Share This Page