RX-7 successor? Probably not.

Discussion in '2002 Mazda RX-8' started by carlrs15, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Still, it's nice to see Mazda put some substance behind all that "zoom zoom" stuff. This, along with the Miata, the Protege5, and the Protege MP3, that is.<!-- Signature -->

2. Re: RX-7 successor? Probably not.

The RX-8 and the new Miata with the 3.0 litre V6 will make Mazda's sport car image come back to life!<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: RX-7 successor? Probably not.

They should change the design before putting it into test... or simply put their twin rotary in a S2000 to test, no difference.

4. Re: RX-7 successor? Probably not.

Just read the new copy of Motor here in Australia, and they are saying there will be a seperate rx-7 in abou 2003-4. Oh yeah !!

More rotaries can only be a good thing.

5. Re: RX-7 successor? Probably not.

RX-7 used one engine of 280 bhp.
    why RX-8 using 250 bhp in your engine???

6. Re: RX-7 successor? Probably not.

Tell me something....Why it looks like Honda S2000?

7. Re: RX-7 successor? Probably not.

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from rafael</i>
    <b>RX-7 used one engine of 280 bhp.
    why RX-8 using 250 bhp in your engine???</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

emission regulations made Mazda drop the Rotary engines from its US line up, they are coming back with this Renesis engine... that makes a bit less power but is way cleaner than the prev generation, just wait a few years and you'll see that Mazda engineers will be squeezing a lot more power from this engine<!-- Signature -->

8. Re: RX-7 successor? Probably not.

remember, this is the first production renesis engine, the older rx-7 had several years to refine the power output and it had the help of turbos. Stick at least one turbo on this car, and i'm sure you'd make well over 400hp on the first try!<!-- Signature -->

9. Re: RX-7 successor? Probably not.

hehe..yep..agreed man =)
    stick a nice 14psi turbo on like the WRXs and you'll get shitloads of power..
    hell the turbo might not be able to keep up with the high revs of this engine =P

I suggest installing 2 nice 74psi turbos =P

DA PUN<!-- Signature -->

10. Re: RX-7 successor? Probably not.

It should be compared with the S2000 only, b/c it's just a rotary engine which they put inside a S2000.

11. Re: RX-7 successor? Probably not.

i believe the 7 died due to a drop in sales of not only it but sports cars in general and a huge rise in sales of SUV's and other "mall" terrain vehicles... and also im not sure if it will even be possible to turbocharge the RENESIS being that the intake port is built into the engine block... :\

12. Re: RX-7 successor? Probably not.

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from batelli</i>
    <b>Tell me something....Why it looks like Honda S2000?</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote>
    <b>WEAR YOUR GOGGLES!</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center>

13. Re: RX-7 successor? Probably not.

The intake port location has nothing to do with whether or not you can add Forced Air Induction of any kind. What they meant was that instead of having the intake ports in the end plates they are on the side of the housing. This is similar to Older Peripheral port rotary motors used for racing.
    If Mazda can make the car weigh in at under 2700Lbs the 250Hp produced should make it perform about the same as the last RX-7s seen in the US. Also adding a Turbo could propel the HP number much higher, as I'm sure Mazda has built the engine as a base with plenty of room for upgrading. I read that the proposed redline is ~10K RPM. I just hope this Rotary gets better gas mileage.

This should be one Hot car. It would be great as a convertible, or maybe with a sport-roof like the Supra (not T-tops, uck).

Maybe we need to face the facts. Mazda had to do something to increase demand in the now diminished US market for Japanese Sports-cars. I think this car will surprise everyone when it is finally released.<!-- Signature -->

14. Re: RX-7 successor? Probably not.

I read somewhere that Mazda could use this car's platform to build the next RX-7 on. Furthermore this engine could be modified to make 300 hp easily. If/when Mazda reintroduces the RX7, they are going to have to be careful about price. Mazda is targeting younger buyers (protoge 5, mp3, new Mazda 6, this car...) and they are going to have to keep the price resonable (Nissan Z territory).

15. Re: RX-7 successor? Probably not.

I personally dont think thats theres any market for this car. Just like there was no market for the RX-7. ANd just so you all know, mazdas sport car image is a joke. THe protege5 is a joke, and so is the MP3. They are overpriced for what they are and are pretty shitty cars to tell you the truth.

16. Re: RX-7 successor? Probably not.

tell ME something... it doesnt really. mazda will never sink as to as low as honda

17. Re: RX-7 successor? Probably not.

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from ivanhoe</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from rafael</i>
    <b>RX-7 used one engine of 280 bhp.
    why RX-8 using 250 bhp in your engine???</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

emission regulations made Mazda drop the Rotary engines from its US line up, they are coming back with this Renesis engine... that makes a bit less power but is way cleaner than the prev generation, just wait a few years and you'll see that Mazda engineers will be squeezing a lot more power from this engine</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

The last rx7 seen in the US wasn't 280 bhp. It was only 155 bhp before aftermarket products.<!-- Signature -->

18. Re: RX-7 successor? Probably not.

Correction for my previous post. The last rx7 had 255 bhp. Also, it was twin turbocharged.<!-- Signature -->

19. Re: RX-7 successor? Probably not.

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from blaze_667</i>
    <b>I personally dont think thats theres any market for this car. Just like there was no market for the RX-7. ANd just so you all know, mazdas sport car image is a joke. THe protege5 is a joke, and so is the MP3. They are overpriced for what they are and are pretty shitty cars to tell you the truth.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Only in your rather tiny, closed mind.<!-- Signature -->

20. Re: RX-7 successor? Probably not.

The last of the RX7's were started selling earlier this year. Its a sad thing to see this cars go. They were widely recognised, over Japan and Australia anyway, as the best handling and performing sprots car around. But I do think the 8's will are great, and i cant wait until a coupe version is realised. This along with a turbo version, should again make it a great succesor for the RX7.

21. Re: RX-7 successor? Probably not.

sorry if this is outta topic, but when exactly will this car come out in North America?

22. Re: RX-7 successor? Probably not.

they say sometime in 2003

23. Re: RX-7 successor? Probably not.

Also, the engines in the RX7 kept blowing up when rev'ed too high