Rx7 vs. Supra

Discussion in '1993 Mazda RX-7 JM1FD' started by jrgatfh, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Re: Rx7 vs. Supra

an rx-7 does brake well but the supra is the best stock car brake wise

2. Re: Rx7 vs. Supra

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from lost</i>
    <b>yeah perhaps your right, chevy and dodge dont seem to worry to much about acceleration. the only american car I can think of with the massive acceleration is a race car. but the 2002 stock ZO6 has a 0-60 of 4 seconds. </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE --> um...*cough**cough* You forgot the GT40 you moron.<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: Rx7 vs. Supra

My, my, tempers fly. As for RX-7s spontaneously failing... I have had my motor on my RX-7 fail, but it wasn't spontanious, nor was it all too violent. Just started falling behind in its paces. Wow, I just love to see the volatility in this set of forums. People just bash RX-7s because they don't fully understand the motor driving it. Oh, and for the person who stated if rotaries were so great why aren't they in everything. Fuel crisis. Oh, and you do realize that Chevy almost put a rotary in the beloved Vette don't you. I heard that somewhere, but don't remember where. Just thought I would point that out.<!-- Signature -->

4. Re: Rx7 vs. Supra

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from turborotor</i>
    <b>Rotarys that fall apart are mostly ones that have been abused or poorly maintained the same holds true for piston engines. Take the 1985 gsl-se engine for example I have seen cars with 250k miles and more on them because of larger apex seals and good maintenence. This motor is very similar to the one found in a '93. Upgrading the apex seals in a newer RX7 to prep it to handle the load of more horsepower the same way you would upgrade lifter cams or pistons on a cylinder based motor to increase its longevity and ability to handle pressure.

I own an RX7 and I haven't had any problems keeping up to twin turbo Supras my car is basically stock (exhaust work only) I don't understand where the argument is. Let the numbers tell the tale

Stock RX7 255 hp to 2694 lbs = 10.56471 lbs per hp
    Stock Supra 320 hp to 3450 lbs = 10.78125 lbs per hp

It is impossible for the Supra to be faster its horsepower to weight ratio dictates it cannot be.

End of story end of debate.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

The power to weight ratio is not the end of the arguement whatsoever. Well, not when your power figures come from the flywheel anyway. The only power that matters is the power getting to the ground. I'm not going to say one car is faster than the other, but drivetrain losses and gearing can more than make up for such a tiny power to weight difference. Personally, I love the RX-7 much much more than the Supra, but this case isn't that simple.<!-- Signature -->

5. Re: Rx7 vs. Supra

stock for stock a TT Supra can beat a RX-7 on the drag strip, and they are also more modifiable, $2000 in mods puts it in the 12's, and with some more bolt ons on the stock turbos, almost into the 11's.

however as mentioned the rx-7 has a HUGE weight advantage, couple hundred pounds lighter so in the end, if your willing to spend the money and time on the RX-7 which IS less reliable (it can be reliable if modded correctly, but still nowhere near as bullet-proof as the supra engine is) RX-7's have more potential in the end. you see lots of 7 second and 8 second drag RX-7's, but hardly any 8-second supras. rx-7's also handle better (than pretty much any other production car under $75,000, and many over it), brakes better, and just a better overall sports car.

6. Rx7 vs. Supra?

Who would win?

I think Rx7 would win cause the Supra just sucks a lot.
    The Rx7 is the best, period.<!-- Signature -->

7. Re: Rx7 vs. Supra

Win at what? The TT Supra will beat the RX-7 at the drag strip, but the RX-7 handles better, or so I hear. Both cars are awsome, and simply saying one of them sucks cheapens both.<!-- Signature -->

8. Re: Rx7 vs. Supra

Just like Ferox D said. If the car Supra is TT the RX7 will lose. It also matters if both cars are TT then it will be close. But im still wit the Rx7 TT.

9. Re: Rx7 vs. Supra

supra would win. but both would get beat by a viper or a corvette.

10. Re: Rx7 vs. Supra

A Viper??? A Corvette?????? Oh I got a video where a civic turbo beats a viper, no, the rx7 is one of the fastest cars @quarter mile, not at topspeed but its not realy important i think. maybe viper, corvette and supra will have more power, but the rx7 has the better torchue, believe me, i drive one.....8)<!-- Signature -->

11. #11 RicePeeps, Aug 10, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: Rx7 vs. Supra

Okay for starters one of you said RX-7 has better torque. WTF are you talking about? the supra has over 1000CC's more worth of torque and the Viper is a friggin V-10 with over 7000CC's. RX-7 rotary has the worst amount of torque and thats why. Supra...corvette...viper...they all would burn a RX-7. Hell I have videos to prove it. And yes I also have coverage of a Turbo Civic beating a Viper (but the civic had two engines lol) The Supra when fully fixed up and street legal easily can beat vipers and corvettes ( www.suprastore.com) and to those who wish to diss me saying "Why u be baggin on da RX-7 cuh?" i'm not. RX-7 is a very good car. And when fully fixed up its great. But it is no match to a Supra or Corvette or Viper. Now you might be saying "how would you know you never driven one!". Well I drive alot of cars. And RX-7 and Supras and jsut a few of them..if you don't believe me then ask a tuning shop or anything. RX-7's can beat supras...and Supras can beat RX-7's. It all depends wahts on the car. Now some people say "Then if Supra has more torque then why does the RX-7 handle better?" tahts easy. Compare the Supra weight to the RX-7. RX-7 is lighter by 700pounds+. Anymore questions class?<!-- Signature -->

12. Re: Rx7 vs. Supra

yeah perhaps your right, chevy and dodge dont seem to worry to much about acceleration. the only american car I can think of with the massive acceleration is a race car. but the 2002 stock ZO6 has a 0-60 of 4 seconds.

13. Re: Rx7 vs. Supra

Ok. maybe a HIGHLY modified supra would beat a corvette or dodge but we're not talkin lets spend 25 grand on one an then race them i'm talkin straight out of the box. and in that case i'd pick the corvette z06, and so should you. the supra and rx7 (no offense) lack somethin that there is no replacement for...DISPLACEMENT. So all you out there who wanna turbo your 4 an 6 bangers thats nice. But take that same turbo an mount it on a corvette or viper and NOW we're talkin smokin them. plus neither the supra or rx7 have the wideness an tiregrippin ability the viper or corvette have.

14. Re: Rx7 vs. Supra

Though I am a MOERSE (I am Afrikaans) Rotory Fan The Supra Will Kick
    a RX-7 Ass on The drags BUT ever looked at the engine specs for the supra and rx7? I mean sheez where the hell to u compare a 1300 (turbo/non-turbo) with a straight six turbo or twin turbo ???

But let me Choose My Vote goes to mazda since i got this cars motor in my Mazda Bakkie and it pumps out 786Hp Bring it on Supra I will dice ya!

Aint got a Rota - Ye aint got a mota !!!

15. Re: Rx7 vs. Supra

Muwahahaha
    No Rotor? No Motor!
    Just admit your silly little pistons can't handle us. That's why non-piston cars are banned from Le Mans. We're just too good.<!-- Signature -->

16. Re: Rx7 vs. Supra

rotor engines are nice...but i hate to break it to you. if they were so great they'd be alot more people making them. so stfu

17. Re: Rx7 vs. Supra

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Alter</i>
    <b>rotor engines are nice...but i hate to break it to you. if they were so great they'd be alot more people making them. so stfu</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

The common everday vehicle was oh so close to bein a rotary, hate to break that to you....
    And before anyone comments, due to the 70's oil crisis and the underdeveloped (only 15ish years old!) rotary put a dampener on people. And no, it wasn't thirsty, think of an ecenomical car in America of that era! It was just it's size and apparent thirst.

A little trivia....
    You see how cars now have a reading of fuel conspumtion of City and Highway? Back in the 70's, the was only one, City, Mazda forced the introduction of Highway for the rotary to compete effictively.

18. Re: Rx7 vs. Supra

hey look 2 true tha rotory motors kick arse nut that aint a fair question! its all up 2 preference! i had an rx7 and i had sum probs wif tha rotary! the thing replacing tha crankshft kept breakin! anywayz personally i'd go a supra but heym thats me!

19. Re: Rx7 vs. Supra

I hope we're talking about stock cars here, in a drag the supra would most likely beat the RX-7. But if you do the kind of racing that doesn't just take raw torque, but driver skill, and handling, and breaking, like autocrossing, then even with matched drivers the RX-7 would WHIP the supra's ass. The supra is also a million times more expensive then an RX-7. Personally i'd want better handling, better breaking, less weight, and more money in my pocket. You can always add some horsepower to the rx-7 for fairly cheap and then REALLY spank the supra in a drag.<!-- Signature -->

20. Re: Rx7 vs. Supra

Did u know that the fastest streetlegal car in a 1/4 MIle Did it in 8.55 Sec at 168Miles an hour ???
    And Yes it is a RX7 Versus a Supra Got it on Video.
    Hual ur arses over the 3rotor.com or rx7.com to find out more

21. Re: Rx7 vs. Supra

wtf are we talking about here? Rotary engines are nice. and yes for the displacement they scorch...but the mere fact that you have to replace them every 75-90K miles is enough to make me say screw that. Also if you over tach a Rotary engine very much, they are prone to blow up, and this can be quite violent. I was with my cousin in his 95 rx7 when his went it had to be one of the scariest things i've ever witness (lol) the whole car jerked and the wheels locked up it was just bad. Now when a say....piston engine blows up you can work on the seals rebuild the top end and keep on rockin, maybe get a few new pistons...but when a rotary goes. Its gonna hurt your wallet and your feelings because your gonna have to get a brand new one. so once again STFU!

22. Re: Rx7 vs. Supra

Rotarys that fall apart are mostly ones that have been abused or poorly maintained the same holds true for piston engines. Take the 1985 gsl-se engine for example I have seen cars with 250k miles and more on them because of larger apex seals and good maintenence. This motor is very similar to the one found in a '93. Upgrading the apex seals in a newer RX7 to prep it to handle the load of more horsepower the same way you would upgrade lifter cams or pistons on a cylinder based motor to increase its longevity and ability to handle pressure.

I own an RX7 and I haven't had any problems keeping up to twin turbo Supras my car is basically stock (exhaust work only) I don't understand where the argument is. Let the numbers tell the tale

Stock RX7 255 hp to 2694 lbs = 10.56471 lbs per hp
    Stock Supra 320 hp to 3450 lbs = 10.78125 lbs per hp

It is impossible for the Supra to be faster its horsepower to weight ratio dictates it cannot be.

End of story end of debate.

23. Re: Rx7 vs. Supra

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Alter</i>
    <b>rotor engines are nice...but i hate to break it to you. if they were so great they'd be alot more people making them. so stfu</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

thats like saying let the government do what it wants to do since they must know whats right, otherwise they wouldn't be doing it.

24. Re: Rx7 vs. Supra

RX7 my pick.

Strip times are nearly identical.

Although the Toyota name is behind the Supra, I have had problems with both Toyota and Mazda(minor) so neither is coming out ahead, so far.

The sleekness and lines of the RX7 and the are much more elegant though plus the handling of the Mazda is far superior.

Supras are too hyped nowadays(Fast and Furious), wich translates to Supras done up bady(simmilar to a rolling HKS advertisment).

RX7s are relatively unknown, somewhat and I have seen many done right(streemlined Butterfly) giving me a better perspective of them.

But I bought niether so ! beleive I am not one to get emotional about either.(I buy for muscular usefulness because we all have to live with these things)

Erik

V8 Dakota Sport

<!-- Signature -->

25. Re: Rx7 vs. Supra

first of all erik knows trucks not cars..........the Rx-7 does not out handle the supra they perform almost identical........and the engine in the Rx-7 is very unreliable..........plus the supra is a way nicer design