Scion FR-S Concept

Discussion in 'Asian Forums' started by RLQ, Apr 22, 2011.

1. #1 RLQ, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Another auto show, another version of Toyota and Subaru's joint partnership rear-wheel-drive sports car. We saw Toyota's FT-86 II concept in Geneva earlier this year, along with the chassis for Subaru's version of the car. Now here in New York, Scion has taken the wraps off of its FR-S, a sexy little number that rides on this same platform.

FR-S, which stands for "front-engine, rear-wheel-drive sport," (or "friggin' really sweet," according to Jack Hollis, Scion's vice president) is the automaker's homage to the infamous AE-86 Corolla – a car that was highly praised for its lightweight body and superb balance without having to churn out a ton of power. Under the hood is a naturally aspirated 2.0-liter Boxer flat-four mated to either a six-speed manual or automatic transmission. The FT-S rides on sharp 20-inch wheels, hiding an absolutely monstrous set of 18-inch carbon ceramic brake rotors that are fixed to the wheels like a motorcycle. Don't count on those making production...

Hollis says that the FR-S' design is inspired by the legendary Toyota 2000GT, and we can even see a bit of Lexus LF-A in the angular shapes that blend with sleek curves. This is one hot concept, and we're told that it previews a new addition to the Scion family coming in 2012. (Yeah, we know.)

Enough with the drooling. Just give us the production car.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/20/new-york-2011-scion-fr-s-concept-is-friggin-really-sweet/

I'm really starting to like this.

2. um toyota ft86?

3. GONNA BE EPIC

4. Pretty much, but the body work looks better.

5. Thought that was a picture of the Lexus LFA at first. Looks good.

6. I'd still put a Toyota badge on it.

8. So, so good. If you don't like this, #$%# you.

10. Looks very nice. Build it you bastards.

11. Sexy. Would buy.

12. too late.

13. If they build it to look exactly like that, i would buy it

14. those tires are slicks
    very unrealistic

15. I love it.

I love the FT86 more though, I think.

16. I hope the production version doesn't look water down.

17. looks great

18. looks exactly the same as the ft86 to me

19. FT86 + LF-A = FR-S

Kinda ripped off, but looks nice anyway.

20. Buckets of awesome!

21. seriously just transfer this concept design over to production design and get cracking. so what if it may not be aerodynamic and therefore get not-so-good gas mileage. people that buy this aren't going to give two shits about that.

the 2.0 flat-four is a bit bleh though, hopefully a turbo charged edition? or just stick a small I6 in it? cause the tC ran/(runs?) a 2.4 I4, and its pretty gutless.

22. it's Subaru's flat-four, could easily be turbocharged

then it would essentially be an STI coupe, and I want that

23. Oh wow i completely forgot about that. Then hopefully the only version is a turbo version. The design is great regardless. Much better than all the yawntastic toyota designs of the present.