Scotch thread...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Wheelman, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Those of you who enjoy scotch, when was the last time you had a glass of Johnny Walker Black?

I know, I know... it's a blended scotch. Blended scotches are terrible, single malt is the only way, yah yah yah.

Ok, but on to unbiased non-snobbery, I've noticed through a couple fortunate occasions to try them side by side, it's actually smoother and and more flavourful than most lower-end single malts. I would take Johhny Black over any Glenfiddich, Oban, Longmorn, McCallum, and Glenlivet 12, 15, 18... to name a few.

2. Never had johnny walker black. Last scotch I had was laphroaig 10 year. Very smoky. Honestly almost overly so.

3. I like Laphroaig a lot. It dries my mouth out a bit too much, but it's a very tasty scotch.

4. Sometimes I find the blends to be TOO smooth. Like, every time I have blue I feel like I could just chug it. Which is good, if that's what I'm looking for, but seems silly at the price point.

That said, yeah, black label is pretty dank.

5. I bought a bottle of chivas for $25 the other day cant beat that. Mother in law gave me a bottle of black label that I like to sip a little after work. I also like dewars, just a bang for buck scotch where I dont feel guilty if I knock down 5 or 6 drinks

6. I think "too smooth" is exactly what they're going for with Blue.

7. I've run out. I keep meaning to buy a couple of bottles.
    The last bottle I bought was The Inverarity Ancestral 14 Year which was incredible at it's price point.
    Next order will definitely have a bottle of Oban 14 year (I've heard very, very good things about it). And I need to get a couple of Glencairn glasses too.

8. They have succeeded admirably.

9. I've been foolishly spending limited student funds on MacAllan's..
    also tried a maple-flavoured scotch (made in Ontario I think) which was delicious and like $34 which is real good

10. I have a bottle of Blue.
    I do agree with the description of being "too smooth"
    It lacks a bit of character, which is the main appeal of single malts.

I much prefer Chivas Regal to Black Label, which are both at the same price range, here.
    Its on par with most low end single malts (except in my opinion Glenfiddich 12 - which I love for it's light, sweet flavour). It's far better than The Glenlivet 12, which is not very nice.

One of my favourite malts is Glenfiddich 15 Solera Reserve. It has a rich fruitiness, so it's quite like a cross between whisky and cognac. I'm not too much into intellectualising whisky by trying to define all the flavours, but I find myself pouring glass after glass of Glenfiddich 15 when I have a bottle.

11. Nothing wrong with a blended whiskey. Some of the best whiskey I've tasted have come from Japan, which are nearly all blended.

Say you like the peat from one spot, but you maybe like the vanilla notes from somewhere else - #$%#in' blend that shit up. A true master can blend up some tasty shit.

That Laphroaig you guys are talking about IS almost too smokey. I love smoke, but that was a bit much.

12. I was having this discussion this other day about blended vs single malts.

There are some surprisingly good blends out there.
    I do quite like the Black Grouse and it's great value for the price.

I guess with blends it could be seen as a bit of a cheat as they get to mix, match and try again to get the taste they are looking for. Whereas with a single malt the skill is in laying down barrels which will be 'just right' several years later.
    I can appreciate the skill and prefer tasting what a distiller has achieved with a single malt, but there are some very good blends out there.

Never tasted a JW Blue though.

13. Haven't had JB Black in a long time. I'm a fan of Dewar's though. It's hard to beat for the price.

14. A small splash of water makes it really excellent

15. Pretty much anyone who considers themselves to be informed about Scotch cannot say so without having tasted Laphroaig.
    It pretty much defines the smoky end of the scale, upon which you can rate other malts for their smokiness.

It also filters people who buy expensive stuff without knowing, because they are put off by the 10 year label.

That doesn't mean you have to like it, because it is such a bold flavour that not everyone will.

16. I had a bottle of laproaig 18 for a while. I agree, it's kind of a benchmark flavour wise, but I found it to dry out my mouth quite fiercely. Similar flavours can be had from bottles like Bowmore, Lagavulin, and Caol Ila, which are a bit smoother and a little sweeter. But that's just my take, I'm definitely a fan of the 'smokey-sweet' side of scotch.

17. i have a glennlivit 12 i enjoy once in awhile. it's good with friends, always makes us want to cuss at each other a lot

18. That's definitely the stigma a lot of juniour-juice scotch snobs put on the blends; that they're an inferior product because they're not exclusive to one distillery. But I question the rationale. Regardless of the method, isn't the outcome what counts? For my money, I prefer to have a brilliant glass of scotch, versus buying an inferior bottle but revelling in the perceived superior aura of being able to call it a "single malt". This isn't to say that I have a hate on for single malts, not at all. I have several bottles in regular rotation. But it's taken me years to find 5 or 6 bottles of single malt that I really love enough to buy repeatedly.

Take coffee for example. 100% Colombian may be a true mark for a tin of Folgers, but colombian coffee sucks, so who cares?

19. JW Blue is brilliant. I got a bottle as a gift from my father in law, who buys it duty free when he travels. I don't know if it's worth the Ontario price of 300$ per bottle, but it's definitely a superpremium product. It has all the smoke and peat of a rich Islay, yet is balanced well with sweetness and a mellow finish. Guys who are saying it's "too smooth" are forgetting that for those kinds of prices, you're expecting a spirit to be perfect. Bite, heat, tang, or any trace of a sharp whif of alcohol can be had from lower priced scotches. You don't want any of that when you're paying stupid money for booze.

20. i'm not the biggest whisk(e)y expert, but i have these two.

both were gifts.

21. Offtipic but i drank Courvosier VS last night. Not my cup of tea at all

22. Agreed, courvoisier is one of my least favourite cognacs. It doesn't get good until the XO realm, and even then it's still a very last choice. I would urge you not to make any determinations about Cognac based on Courvoisier.

23. Had a glass of Martell Creation Grand Extra couple of weeks ago. That was pretty good cognac, and i'm not even a cognac fan.

24. That really is exquisite stuff. A friend of mine and I have a running argument about Martell XO vs Hennessey XO. They're very close in flavour and quality.

25. Ill keep digging. The nose was nice and fruity, almost like a liquer but the immdieate finish that followed was a sharp bite of ethanol mixed with death