Serious question about the McLaren F1

Discussion in 'European Cars' started by Ron Simmons, Apr 26, 2008.

1. would you jump into a bathtub holding a radio already?

2. only in theory, the CC-R never went faster than 397 km/h

3. #28 Rafale, Apr 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    The wiper, but not the mirrors:

http://www.bmwm5.com/articles/Geneva2005/920307as.jpg

4. This is the first I've heard of that notion. Can you explain that more?

5. #30 Atomic2, Apr 28, 2008
  6. passion adds 20mph

7. #32 PGN1, Apr 28, 2008
    Awesome photo. Ehra-Lessien should so be on GT5.

I might have the opportunity to photo fellow bikers riding top speed runs on an airfield in June, I hope nice shots, but sadly the only scenic extra available will be possible heat haze from hot asphalt.

8. The tires are pushed down harder if they have more weight on them

9. proof.

10. force due to friction is often stated as a normal force (weight on the tire) times a coefficient of friction (usually designated with the greek letter mu). Granted tires dont fully comply by this because there is a large portion of adhesive friction also. Tire loading, temperature and other things also come into play as significant factors for determining the friction in a tire.

overall though, weight does play a small part in top speed simply because it makes the system have more friction.

11. Sorry - that is simply not correct. If you can prove otherwise, then please present your evidence to back up that statement. An image, a piece of video, a news article - something? I've certainly never seen anything to back up your claim - in fact all evidence I have points to the contrary. The photo that Rafale posted was taken at the track during the testing and shows exactly how the car was configured.

The shut lines around the hood were taped over as were recesses around the front turn signal lights; the front plate was replaced with a sticker; the windscreen wiper was removed; and the rev limiter on the engine was raised. Those were the only modifications made to an otherwise standard McLaren F1 when it set the world speed record in 1998.

Here's another image - note the mirror firmly attached.

>8^)
    ER

12. I see your mclaren sense still tingles from time to time.

13. Adding to this rebuttal, a quote from the man who drove the car to the limit, Andy Wallace:

"Gordon Murray was adamant that the car be completely unmodified. Still, I'd like to have gotten a few more miles out of it. We could have gained a little by removing toe-in at the front wheels, which is there for increased stability but creates drag. And we could have pumped up the tyres an extra 10psi, maybe removed the wing mirrors and set the rear wing for below level height. That could have earned us 2 or 3 mph."

Source: AUTOCAR Magazine - "MAC 1 - Flat out at 240mph" by Gavin Conway - 22nd April 1998 issue

>8^)
    ER

14. Peloton has a radar or something. Or he's a computer/Guibo.

15. the weight doesnt matter directly but a lighter car can use longer gears.

16. I'm guessing more friction is a plus while doing top speed runs as it aides stability, right? Not like in acceleration, where more friction simply allows for more torque to be put down. I suppose at 200mph the F1 won't have problems with spinning the wheels..?

17. friction and stability are not correlated. that has much more do do with lift and the stability of the flow around the body.

18. he's like batman. people are talking out of their arse about the F1, I am needed.

19. #45 ErikT595, Jun 5, 2008
  20. light and gear ratios

21. I think another really important reason why McLaren F1 has low down force is a need for a relatively comfortable ride. Gordon Murray wanted the car to be as usable as possible, so the car needs to have good long distance comfort. The F1's suspension is more road-biased than most other ultra high performance cars, with softer suspension that gives the passengers a more comfortable ride. Those cars with really high down force (Enzo, CGT, Saleen S7, etc) tends to have really stiff suspension, so that the bottom of the car won't scrape the pavement during high speed runs.

22. McLaren F1's tires are more narrow than most other ultra high performance cars. It's rear tires are 11.5 inches wide if I'm not mistaken. Most supercars have rear tires that are more than 12 inches wide (Enzo's rear tires are 13 inches wide), some are more than 14 inches wide. My guess is that more narrow tires would decrease drag and increase top speed.