Shizzy System

Discussion in '2001 Pontiac Vibe GT-R Concept' started by Jmac, Aug 10, 2002.

1. First of all, it's a nice looking car, could use more power, but 190 isn't really that bad. In my opinion, they should've used a darker tint though. Secondly, Kenwood? Why? Here's another idea, you should get Sony to do the system for another car while you're at it. Kenwood amps are shit(Except the Excelons, but that's only what I've heard)! Of all the good companies(Rockford, Alpine, Clarion, etc.) out there, they pick Kenwood, a mediocre company w/ shitty amps(.08% THD, now that's sweet. Do you wanna make amps that won't blow my $250+ subs, Kenwood?) I don't really have anything against their subs. Thirdly, 6.5s in the front and rear? They better be the Dual Mag speakers because the rest of their lineup isn't very good compared to the competition in terms of sound clarity and power. Plus, why would you want four 6.5s? They should've put 4x6s in the dash, 6.5s in the doors, tweeters in the pillars, and 5.25s or 4s in the back. Fourthly, a 250-watt amp? They should put in a bigger amp for many reasons including the ability to put another sub in, less distortion when powering the sub(I'm assuming it's a 200 or 250 watt sub), etc.

Advice:

1. Alwayz get a head unit w/ at least 2 Pre-outz(Preferrably 3)
    2. You want to create the illusion that the musician is on top of your hood. You don't want to have a bunch of sound coming from the back, it just doesn't sound natural. The music should seem to come from in front of you and on a slightly downward angle. This concept is called staging.
    3. Pick a max volume level on your deck and then set your smallest speakers 1st and progress to your largest. This way, you ensure distortion is at a minimum thus saving your speakers.
    4. Peak power means nothing. RMS is the actual power.
    5. More power does not mean the product is louder or of better quality. Buy high quality equipment and power them adequately. Ideally, you would want to be able to supply more power than your speakers can handle. This way, you can turn down the amps, preventing distortion, and, once again, preventing the destruction of your speakers.
    6. More speakers doesn't mean a better system. Many excellent systems consist of only 2 full range speakers. Only put more speakers in if it helps sound quality, doesn't affect staging, and doesn't strain your amp(s).
    7. A speaker w/ a larger surface area doesn't mean it's a good speaker. Avoid paper cones(In general, there are some excellent paper-coned speakers, but they're the exception).
    8. Big magnets don't necessarily mean big power on a speaker. The strength and size of the magnet and some other things(i.e. Voice coil) determine that.
    9. Amps are a tricky topic, so ask many dealers(So you get multiple opinions) what he/she recommends for your budget. Two things that give away a crappy amp are a fuse that looks too small and a light weight for its size.
    10. Don't under-guage your car. 4-guage power wire is usually ample for most applications. Make sure your ground wire is around the same size. If you use cable that's too small, you could light your car on fire(Like me LOL).
    11. Contrary to popular belief, a wall of subs doesn't create good sound quality(It does produce some serious SPL though). Unless you're doing dB drags, go for sound quality. You'll regret it if you don't once you get tired of the boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, ...
    12. If you see something that you don't think looks right, don't buy it or research it(i.e. 300W 6.5s). Simply avoid them and go w/ well-known and well-recommended brands.
    13. American amps are generally the best amps. US Acoustics, Rockford Fosgate, etc. make high quality amps that are usually underrated on the label. (I had a RF500.2 that was bench-tested at over 700 RMS@4ohms@14.4V on an audiophile CD) Alpine, Clarion, JL, Rockford Fosgate, US Acoustics, and Phoenix Gold are all quality amps(The new ones are anywayz).
    14. The most important thing is that you try it before you buy it. Don't buy a deck before you know how to use it. Don't buy speakers before you know how they sound and how they will perform. Get the dealer to bench-test an amp for you(Or you can pay for it, it's fairly cheap{$8 canadian where I live})(Only the amps that you'll actually want to buy and an appointment would probably have to be made for the test.) Like buying a car, you don't want to buy a car you are unfamiliar w/. You wouldn't buy a car if you didn't know it's reputation or how it performed.
    15. DON'T UNDERPOWER YOUR SPEAKERS. Give them exactly what they want. If you can't afford to, you can get away w/ putting in 2/3 of the power it wants(That's pushing it though, your speakers will slowly die doing this). You should probably give your speakers at least 80% of what they want(i.e. 40RMS into a 50RMS speaker). Overpowering your speakers won't harm them if there is little distortion. If you have a 200RMS amp and a 200RMS sub, power the sub at around 90%(Give it 180RMS instead). Most amps will put out enough distortion to kill the sub if the gain is turned to full.
    First of all, it's a nice looking car, could use more power, but 190 isn't really that bad. In my opinion, they should've used a darker tint though. Secondly, Kenwood? Why? Here's another idea, you should get Sony to do the system for another car while you're at it. Kenwood amps are shit(Except the Excelons, but that's only what I've heard)! Of all the good companies(Rockford, Alpine, Clarion, etc.) out there, they pick Kenwood, a mediocre company w/ shitty amps(.08% THD, now that's sweet. Do you wanna make amps that won't blow my $250+ subs, Kenwood?) I don't really have anything against their subs. Thirdly, 6.5s in the front and rear? They better be the Dual Mag speakers because the rest of their lineup isn't very good compared to the competition in terms of sound clarity and power. Plus, why would you want four 6.5s? They should've put 4x6s in the dash, 6.5s in the doors, tweeters in the pillars, and 5.25s or 4s in the back. Fourthly, a 250-watt amp? They should put in a bigger amp for many reasons including the ability to put another sub in, less distortion when powering the sub(I'm assuming it's a 200 or 250 watt sub), etc.

Advice:

1. Alwayz get a head unit w/ at least 2 Pre-outz(Preferrably 3)
    2. You want to create the illusion that the musician is on top of your hood. You don't want to have a bunch of sound coming from the back, it just doesn't sound natural. The music should seem to come from in front of you and on a slightly downward angle. This concept is called staging.
    3. Pick a max volume level on your deck and then set your smallest speakers 1st and progress to your largest. This way, you ensure distortion is at a minimum thus saving your speakers.
    4. Peak power means nothing. RMS is the actual power.
    5. More power does not mean the product is louder or of better quality. Buy high quality equipment and power them adequately. Ideally, you would want to be able to supply more power than your speakers can handle. This way, you can turn down the amps, preventing distortion, and, once again, preventing the destruction of your speakers.
    6. More speakers doesn't mean a better system. Many excellent systems consist of only 2 full range speakers. Only put more speakers in if it helps sound quality, doesn't affect staging, and doesn't strain your amp(s).
    7. A speaker w/ a larger surface area doesn't mean it's a good speaker. Avoid paper cones(In general, there are some excellent paper-coned speakers, but they're the exception).
    8. Big magnets don't necessarily mean big power on a speaker. The strength and size of the magnet and some other things(i.e. Voice coil) determine that.
    9. Amps are a tricky topic, so ask many dealers(So you get multiple opinions) what he/she recommends for your budget. Two things that give away a crappy amp are a fuse that looks too small and a light weight for its size.
    10. Don't under-guage your car. 4-guage power wire is usually ample for most applications. Make sure your ground wire is around the same size. If you use cable that's too small, you could light your car on fire(Like me LOL).
    11. Contrary to popular belief, a wall of subs doesn't create good sound quality(It does produce some serious SPL though). Unless you're doing dB drags, go for sound quality. You'll regret it if you don't once you get tired of the boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, ...
    12. If you see something that you don't think looks right, don't buy it or research it(i.e. 300W 6.5s). Simply avoid them and go w/ well-known and well-recommended brands.
    13. American amps are generally the best amps. US Acoustics, Rockford Fosgate, etc. make high quality amps that are usually underrated on the label. (I had a RF500.2 that was bench-tested at over 700 RMS@4ohms@14.4V on an audiophile CD) Alpine, Clarion, JL, Rockford Fosgate, US Acoustics, and Phoenix Gold are all quality amps(The new ones are anywayz).
    14. The most important thing is that you try it before you buy it. Don't buy a deck before you know how to use it. Don't buy speakers before you know how they sound and how they will perform. Get the dealer to bench-test an amp for you(Or you can pay for it, it's fairly cheap)(Only the amps that you'll actually want to buy and an appointment would probably have to be made for the test.) Like buying a car, you don't want to buy a car you are unfamiliar w/. You wouldn't buy a car if you didn't know it's reputation or how it performed.
    15. DON'T UNDERPOWER YOUR SPEAKERS. Give them exactly what they want. If you can't afford to, you can get away w/ putting in 2/3 of the power it wants(That's pushing it though, your speakers will slowly die doing this). You should probably give your speakers at least 80% of what they want(i.e. 40RMS into a 50RMS speaker). Overpowering your speakers won't harm them if there is little distortion. If you have a 200RMS amp and a 200RMS sub, power the sub at around 90%(Give it 180RMS instead). Most amps will put out enough distortion to kill the sub if the gain is turned to full.
    <!-- Signature -->

2. Re: Shizzy System

For some reason I can't edit it and it repeats itself. Gay<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: Shizzy System

Forgot to mention to keep your voltage up. A lack of voltage takes power away from your ampz, and you now know what that does. Make sure your alternator can handle the power supply of your system and the power supply of your car and your battery. <!-- Signature -->

4. Re: Shizzy System

I think you should click 'edit' above your username.<!-- Signature -->

5. Re: Shizzy System

I did, but when I submitted it, it stayed the same. <!-- Signature -->