Should I kill Windows

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Kalashnikov, Mar 29, 2008.

1. #1 Kalashnikov, Mar 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
  2. Wait till mid april, new ubuntu that's much better is coming out.

I'm going to go to a ubuntu and windows xp(for games) setup.

3. is it worth getting though?

The beta is out for the new one already.

4. #4 harka, Mar 29, 2008
    Yes. I did it and I'm happy. And I know about as much about computers as about Azerbaidjani carpet production in the 80's.

5. Any idea if there will ever be a dedicated PS3 version of Ubuntu?

6. yeah, some aspects are a lot better than windows such as speed. I wouldn't get the beta though, too many bugs, wait for the full release.

7. I wouldn't doubt it. We have it up and running on ours, kinda slow at blurry at 1080i.

8. Ubuntu laptop, Windows desktop here. The laptop is 100% work only, and all the desktops at school run Scientific Linux (Red Hat clone). Basically, I needed a Unix derivative so I could do homework at...home.

9. I'm very tempted to do the same for my desktop, Ubuntu for most, XP for games. But I think I've got too many other Windows-only programmes, and I haven't quite got my head around Wine yet.

10. Yes.

I just upgraded my desktop to Hardy, although it's not much of an upgrade.

edit -- the beta that is. The only really noticeable difference is FireFox 3 which I don't like: it's getting really bloated like IE7.

Also Gnome finally has a good native VNC client (Vinagre or something).

11. What windows apps do you use that you think don't have linux versions/equivalents? I'm pretty up on that stuff...

12. I've yet to find the equivalent to ms paint for mac ...I bet you have the answer ...

and whats a good burning program too ?

13. Stuff like that will come with the default install.

14. I know I can run CS3 through Wine. But if I do this, it's going to be partly for me and partly as a trial run for my dad as he's been wanting to move away from Windows for a while now. He runs MYOB, an accounting package, and it's a very Windows biased program.

After I got my MacBook and he use it he wanted to jump ship to mac, but MYOB don't do Mac. I suggested he uses VMWare with Windows, but he was unsure.

15. #15 stewacide, Mar 29, 2008
    It seems Hardy has a new default burning/ripping program, Brasero: http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/hardy/beta (scroll down)

...I suspect it's good if they're changing the default. There's also ripping/burning functionality built into the file browser.

16. #16 stewacide, Mar 29, 2008
  17. no you have to make shit burning folders and there is no paint program as simple as ms paint ...why else would I ask ...

so you don't know eh ...thats ok

18. #18 stewacide, Mar 29, 2008
    I don't understand what you want re: burning? You want something what burns disc images? (ISOs, etc?)

re: direct MS Paint clones: http://www.gnu.org/software/gpaint/

There are literally dozens of direct MS Paint clones for Linux. Why someone would want that is the question...

edit -- even better here's a whole guide to MS Paint clones specifically for Ubuntu w/ screens and instructions: http://www.movingtofreedom.org/2007/03/06/gnu-linux-graphics-programs-ubuntu/ ...he says the KDE one is better

19. #19 stewacide, Mar 29, 2008
  20. #20 c7015, Mar 29, 2008
    I want a quick easy paint program for when p shop is overkill ...

and I want a burning program that is as good as nero was before it got too many features.

thanks for the ms paint clones

21. #21 stewacide, Mar 29, 2008
  22. I guess it's worth it if you don't need any support or popular software.

23. umm, ram usage is way down from FF 2 and it's even better than opera now.

24. #24 christofurr, Mar 29, 2008
  25. #25 stewacide, Mar 29, 2008
    Call them and tell them ther' fAggots. The developer seems to be really Mac-centric and has more Mac software than PC on their US site (e.g. the POS stuff which looks super slick), I'm sure it'd be trivial for their NZ or wherever branch to release a Mac version as well (since it's almost certainly 99.9% the same software, with some different settings for taxes and whatnot).

edit -- I love how even a Mac cash-register is pretty: http://www.checkoutapp.com/media/quicktours/makingasale_45sec.mov