Shuttle being retired

Discussion in 'Boats, Planes, Other' started by Atomic2, Nov 30, 2008.

1. #1 Atomic2, Nov 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    True story... Constellation program replacing it
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Constellation

[copy and pasted from thread on GC]
    Ugh the space shuttle was the most badass vehicle ever! It was THE symbol of America's dominance over space. It needs a proper replacement. We need to move forward, instead we're going back to a design a half century old.

Dont even bother telling me if this new design is safer, or cheaper, or more efficient, I dont care and neither should anyone else. The space shuttle stands as a symbol of what America can accomplish. Its a re-entry vehicle, it can carry payload, its a comfortable habitat... and then theres the shear size of the thing. It dwarfs all others. If for no other reason, it should never be retired [or if retired, then there should be a suitable replacement] just to inspire future generations. Even if all the space missions now a days are all boring and mundane, kids all know the space shuttle; I highly doubt any child will give two shits about this or any other similar re=entry pod [more like POS]

2. "Ugh the space shuttle was the most badass vehicle ever! It was THE symbol of America's dominance over space."

I really don't see how they think the shuttle is more bad ass than Apollo.

Shuttle: Lame, I can't get out of LEO.
    Apollo: Goin to the moon, BRB.

3. About time.

4. took me a while to realize LEO meant low earth orbit, cause my name is Leo, I thought you were making a jab at me.

Im not talking about the entire project being lame, the reason the capsule in the Apollo missions got to the moon had nothing to do with the capsule itself. Im just saying the Shuttle is an inspiring display of technological achievement; these capsules however, do nothing to excite the imagination. They need to design a new or updated Space Shuttle.

5. The shuttle was a failure, costs waay to much to operate, and has limited uses. This is a step we should have taken 10 years ago.

6. Yeah, it's a failure. Never mind it was not designed to be used this long and was designed in the 70's for fUcks sake. Of course NOW it is obsolete, but it was not a failure.

7. yea, theres still 3 left...

8. The cost per pound ended up way higher than it was supposed to be. The refurbish costs per flight are also astronomical. It wasn't a complete failure, but it WAS a step in the wrong direction.

9. Well, Project Constellation is supposed to send astronauts to the Moon. Perhaps for real this time.

10. To me the Shuttle program is a symbol for bloat and arrogance. The problems from misunderstanding, under communication, and a lack of trust between engineering and management sides of a project. The contrast of its elegance in concept, and underwhelming performance in reality, most of note seven deaths by fault of this almost sibling rivalry, rather than by true accident. The list of great American achievements is long, and impressive, and the Shuttle is not on it. But it's contribution to history as an example is that it should have been.

11. See, that's fine. It did not meet all it's targets, it is VERY expensive. These are legitimate criticisms of the programme. Well done.

12. You spelled program wrong. Bad monkey, no banana.

13. #13 daisho13, Dec 1, 2008
  14. #14 mattco26, Dec 1, 2008
  15. #15 daisho13, Dec 1, 2008
  16. When is NASA going to build the f*cking Enterprise? I want warp 9, photon torpedoes, and phasers now goddamnit

17. Obama has promised Warp 1 by the end of this decade.

18. he wants to shoot some hoops with the aliens

19. He wants to shoot hoops on Uranus.

20. If nasa had some funding maybe we could build something cool.

21. Ya, but not going to happen. No one gives a #$%# about space any more. Sad.

22. #22 numbers, Jan 21, 2009
  23. There is another space plane, see Boeing X-37.

24. #24 Will939, Feb 13, 2009
    http://www.supercars.net/PitLane?viewThread=y&gID=4&fID=0&tID=135215

220,000,000,000,000,000 1st stage saturn V rockets to stop the rotation of the earth in its burn time, apparently.