sketch and marker experimentation

Discussion in 'Artwork - Photoshops and Sketches' started by PoWeReD By NoS, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Ok so I just got back from China, and some bored nights in the hotel lead to me picking up a issue of Top Gear magazine ('the fast show') and some drawing supplies. I picked up some colored leads down there too but I had already finished the drawing. Maybe next time.

The next picture is based off of Slayer's Senna picture. This was my first time I've ever used markers to do a picture like this. It was fun and really fast.

I still am having some lighting problems when taking photo's, the 997 is alot darker and Senna is a little brighter than portrayed.

2. looks pretty good

but you seem to have a really sketchy style with pencils which has carried over to the markers. The thing with markers is you have to be really loose and flowing with them.

3. That's what I found was the hardest with those markers, I found no other way to get a touch of color (the icy/shaded affect)other than just streaking them. I think if I had used a more solid coloring technique it would have looked like the car was actually blue. Not enough variety of markers? Different techniques required? Any help is appreciated.

4. not sure exactly, im still experimenting/learning. check out some of canays stuff, hes got really good marker style.

5. Ah yes, not sure how I missed those. Thanks

6. What markers are you using? (Brand?)
    What paper are you using?
    Are you using regular pencils?

7. I'm just using a cheap 100 pack of 'fibracolor' markers, I didn't want to spend the big bucks on Prismacolor's or Copix unless I really knew I was going to use them.

I don't know to much about the paper other than it's Bristol, so I will just type out what it says: 300 series, 100lb. (260 g/m2)

I am using a mechanical pencil, 0.5 HB. It's what the pencil came with, usually I would prefer a lighter lead.

8. Then you will never get the desired result.

Even if you use good markers and marker pads, it takes some to practise and get used to them. It's like, driving a Ferrari after commuting in a civic isn't going to make you a race driver over night.

If you are serious about learning marker, then get the proper stuffs. Copic is good because you can use the refill, and I like the nibs.

Marker Pads, like Tria Letraset marker pads, have plastic backing so that the ink won't bleed through the paper and cause nasty results. They are all designed for a purpose, something that regular paper can't do.

Of course, each paper has its characteristics. If you like that characteristic, then go for it.

As for pencil, I suggest using oil based leads, such as Prismacolor pencils. They are hard to erase, but more durable against markers.

9. Well like I said this was just a first time use thing, I'm sure once these markers dry out I will upgrade to something a little more serious as this is just experimentation (and right now I'm on a tight budget). Your advice is much appreciated.

10. If you want to use markers, vellum is your friend.

11. Nobody uses that shit anymore... now, it's called "photoshop"

They even got rid of the famous vincent vellum, and I remembered the seniors selling their left overs to freshman and sophmore cus viscom classes still used those.

12. #$%# that. I'll draw by hand until I die.

13. Now, by hand drawing, it means using elipse guides. Nobody does free-hand wheels anymore. It's sad, passionless and absolutely worthless.

I haven't seen any real inspiring sketch or rendering from CCS since sophmore.

14. #14 PoWeReD By NoS, Jun 15, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    I tend to be more a fan of traditional methods when it comes to art, however I am not saying I will never touch a computer. As far as getting started though, I'd rather start with the basics. I did some googling and found this site:

http://archive.cardesignnews.com/studio/tutorials/050518airmarker-rendering/index.html

Before ever looking this up I was under the assumption that the fine gradient shading was done with either airbrush or air marker. I am glad I was right, otherwise I don't know how someone could possibly get that affect. A few questions though, as I am having trouble visualise this.

So first draw it on a piece of paper (pen or pencil, provided it is dark enough). Any paper? Or would you need that stuff that had the plastic backing on it? Use the marker for any background work now?

Then lay the low tack vellum over top and trace the design through. Then marker it up (the first few shades). Then cut the DLO out. This is where I get confused. You add another layer of vellum on top, and then cut out the car shape? Through both layers or what?

I know that may have been a bit confusing as it was even confusing to ask.

Edit: Another thing, have any of you ever used an airbrush rather than the air markers? What's the difference? I have an airbrush but I haven't really had the chance to use it much due to outside weather conditions.

15. We don't use airbrush anymore for design work. It takes too much time to mask and trouble to prepare.

We use pastel and you can get effects almost as good with much more control and more forgiving.

In that tutorial you've linked, you can use either marker pad or vellum. The rest of the steps are basically masking out the areas that you don't want to apply your mediums to.

The main reason to use vellum is to use both sides to create more variety of transparencies. This will come effective for showing interior and light reflections.

16. Your advice has once again cleared up many things for me, thanks again.