SL55? or Porsche 996 Turbo?

Discussion in '2003 Mercedes-Benz SL 55 AMG' started by ch666, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Re: SL55? or Porsche 996 Turbo?

This car would smoke the Z8 even after the first sweeping leftie, and all the curves following also!
    The active suspension will keep this car absolutely level no matter how hard you're cornering, thereby increasing grip and enabling this heavy lump to outcorner most things weighing 30% less, including M3s...Only thing against it is really the automatic gearbox but that thing will on a 0-200 mph help it beat both the Porsche Turbo and GT2, believe it or not!

2. Re: SL55? or Porsche 996 Turbo?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from luting</i>
    <b>I'm getting a new car, but i don't know which to choose from...
    Should I get the SL55? or the Turbo?
    it's really frustrating me...since the level of performance are about the same, and so as their prices...SL provides more comfort, where on the other hand, Turbo has all the fun a driver may request...and the sound...

Help~~~~~~~</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->well i think that mayb the sl is the better cars cuz its fast looks good alot of lux! and thats what most ppl like... i think the porsche is the better performance car... but if u want just that its good car....but the sl has that.. but it has it with class and style

3. Re: SL55? or Porsche 996 Turbo?

in terms of speed, the turbo is faster to about 100mph due to its 4WD and lighter weight but after about 120mph the SL55 AMG is faster in a straightline by quite a big bit nearly as fast as a Lamborgini according to some times in a mag. In corners, the turbo will probably have better handling and feel most like a race car, wlist the merc retains it speeding capabilities but with a quiet level of sophistication and prestige and enough power to get past the porsche in a straight line maybe past a GT2 as well.<!-- Signature -->

4. Re: SL55? or Porsche 996 Turbo?

dude.... dont need to waste ur brain cells, just think of when u are driving a Turbo 996 rollin at Las Vagas. WOooooo every body will take a look at u for sure, then at the red light make some sound.. burn some AMG for dinner.. haha.... then think about driving an SL55........... ....... boring...... there is Benz every where at Las Vagas.... then at the red light damn i CAN"T make SOUND coz is an Automatic. !!!!!!!!!! haha

5. Re: SL55? or Porsche 996 Turbo?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from m3rhkp</i>
    <b>dude.... dont need to waste ur brain cells, just think of when u are driving a Turbo 996 rollin at Las Vagas. WOooooo every body will take a look at u for sure, then at the red light make some sound.. burn some AMG for dinner.. haha.... then think about driving an SL55........... ....... boring...... there is Benz every where at Las Vagas.... then at the red light damn i CAN"T make SOUND coz is an Automatic. !!!!!!!!!! haha </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

HAHAHA
    Little boy, Mercedes was very successful in their marketing if you don't like this car BECAUSE it hurts the brand when boy-racers like you drive 'em!!
    It seems you are preoccupied with WHO YOU CAN IMPRESS at Vegas with your little burnouts... I think a guy who buys an SL55 is looking for a car that impresses HIM, not a bunch of Vegas pedestrians.

Regarding the transmission, YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT.
    Switch the ASC OFF, and you will SMOKE THE BENZES TIRES when you launch it. When you say "...Can't make a sound because its autoMATIC", THAT TELLS ME YOU ARE NOT VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE.
    With traction control disengaged, you will smoke on launch. If you have good tires you will feel the rear end kick out slightly from the massive low end torque, and I guarantee you will turn heads if that's what you are looking for. AND THIS ENGINE WILL RUMBLE LOUD AND LOW LIKE A SMALLBLOCK CHEVY. NOT THE WHINY CHAINSAW BUZZ OF A STRAIGHT SIX like the E46 M3, which personally I think sounds too high-pitched and is ANNOYING compared to a V8 Benz. Why do you think 40% of M3 (e46) owners are dropping a few grand on Supersprint or Eisenmann Exhaust systems within a few months of getting their cars???

One last thing: While you are knocking the Benz tranny for being "auto", (and you can control downshifts with this transmission BTW), AT THE SAME TIME, YOUR BELOVED BMW IS PUSHING THE SMGII TRANSMISSION ON ALL M3 PURCHASERS. GUESS WHAT, IT IS BASICALLY AN AUTOMATIC TRANNY WITHOUT A TORQUE CONVERTOR AND NO IDLE SPEED!!
    So get your facts straight before you shoot your mouth off.

<!-- Signature -->

6. Re: SL55? or Porsche 996 Turbo?

I am not knocking the BMW SMGII Transmission, it is an excellent way to make the shifts smoother and very fast (faster than the best driver could manually shift), HOWEVER, I am saying that BMW is evolving the excellent Getrag 6 speed to the next level, as in F1 type shifters, TOUCH SHIFTING WITH NO DRIVER CLUTCH-- and that is what Mercedes has SIMILARLY DONE ALL ALONG with the Speedshift (Touchshift) and Porsche with Tiptronic.
    I just can't stand people who knock the Benz transmission AND THEN drool over an M3 that has SMGII or a Porsche with Tiptronic... they are very similar. In fact Andreas at BMW will openly tell you that the Benz SHIFTS FASTER AND SMOOTHER (IE. MATCH REVS BETTER BETWEEN GEARS) THAN THE BMW GETRAG SMGII IN A-MODE.<!-- Signature -->

7. Re: SL55? or Porsche 996 Turbo?

First theres nothing to be gained by responding to m3krhkdshjfahf

This car is a ridiculous amount of money, the engine is a marvel of automotive genise hence its has the Mercedes star on the front, it deserves at least an option of controlling the shift or a possible 6th gear.

You can't tell me that if your an enthousiats you enjoy sitting in a car without stick even if it is a Bad Ass Benz.

Btw I beleive this car would smoke the Z8, until the first sweeping lefty.<!-- Signature -->

8. Re: SL55? or Porsche 996 Turbo?

2003 merc-benz is da dogs bollocks and u know it!!!!! no body has da right 2 say anythin else!!!!!

9. Re: SL55? or Porsche 996 Turbo?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Mofomenator</i>
    <b>First theres nothing to be gained by responding to m3krhkdshjfahf

This car is a ridiculous amount of money, the engine is a marvel of automotive genise hence its has the Mercedes star on the front, it deserves at least an option of controlling the shift or a possible 6th gear.

You can't tell me that if your lololllolololololololol enthousiats you enjoy sitting in a car without stick even if it is a Bad Ass Benz.

Btw I beleive this car would smoke the Z8, until the first sweeping lefty.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

10. I'm getting a new car, but i don't know which to choose from...
    it's really frustrating me...since the level of performance are about the same, and so as their prices...SL provides more comfort, where on the other hand, Turbo has all the fun a driver may request...and the sound...

Help~~~~~~~

11. Re: SL55? or Porsche 996 Turbo?

The cars may be the same price but they are completely different cars at heart. The Porsche will be the real drivers car, offering outstanding acceleration and precise sports car handling, especially at very high speeds. The Merc is more a luxury cruiser with sports car tendancies. I believe if you're the type of driver who wants to get the most out of driving then the Porsche is the choice. If you are happy with a slightly "softer" ride then the Merc would be the way to go. Personally I would get the Merc. I believe it portrays a greater image of sophistication and class. It says "I have the money" but it also says "I have a quiet sophistication". The Porsche says you have the money but at lot of people consider it more of a poseurs car for people who still feel they have something to prove. It's like buying Armani rather than Gaultier. I guess it depends where you are in your life at the moment.
    I wish I had your choice. Good luck. Let me know what you choose.

12. Re: SL55? or Porsche 996 Turbo?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from luting</i>

Help~~~~~~~</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    I can see your frustration on this decision, especially with this much money, but there is no comparison in performance between these two cars. The turbo is much faster, it's a better handler, has better breaks, and is overall the performance winner. This sl55, although fast, could never even stay on a track with it's weight. But my guess is you aren't buying a car to race around, and this MB is a great looking car. I guess it's just a personal choice to which car you feel is better looking, and will fit your needs better.

13. Re: SL55? or Porsche 996 Turbo?

Help~~~~~~~</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Oh, your just going to buy one of these two and then the random people on this site are going to help you make your final decision, yeah right. Hey guys, I'm going to buy a F-50 or a McLaren, which one should I buy?<!-- Signature -->