so its the first production car with a 7-speed gear box

Discussion in '2002 Bugatti 16/4 Veyron Preproduction' started by FireBird175, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Re: so its the first production car with a 7-speed gear box

between 50 and 100 (im not sure if thats a year, but i think so)

and it will actually cost 1.2 million USD

2. Re: so its the first production car with a 7-speed gear box

o ya i forgot - the murcielago has a seven speed paddle shift (not that the padlle shift ids important) but i bet there were cars with a seven speed before that like that corvette

3. Re: so its the first production car with a 7-speed gear box

sry im posting so much but how do u make a sig?

4. Re: so its the first production car with a 7-speed gear box

You change your sig in the manage account page which you can get to by the drop down menu at the top of the screen.

5. Re: so its the first production car with a 7-speed gear box

The Murcielago is a six speeder, if someones said it's 7 they're either lying or their including reverse which your not meant to.

6. Re: so its the first production car with a 7-speed gear box

I think it's 100 a year, somthing around 400 are planned to be produced in total.

7. Re: so its the first production car with a 7-speed gear box

That's what I read too.

8. Re: so its the first production car with a 7-speed gear box

i read it in car and driver so maybe they were including reverse but heres the real reason im posting:

how do u get an avater that isnt from supercars.net?

9. Re: so its the first production car with a 7-speed gear box

i did that but it still doesnt show up on my posts as u can see.

10. Re: so its the first production car with a 7-speed gear box

If that doesn't work you'll have to speak to a mod. To get a different avatar on the screen where you choose one there should be a browse butto at the very bottom, select that and choose th folder where your pics are saved into and select away.

11. Re: so its the first production car with a 7-speed gear box

what about the ferrari enzo it has a 7-speed box and next year mercedes-benz is coming out with 7-speed manumatics for most of theirtop of the line models so the 7-speeds will bocome more common in the years coming

12. Re: so its the first production car with a 7-speed gear box

Actually it is not the first production car because it hasnt been produced yet. Hence it is not a production car.

As for the top speed of this car all it is is speculation first it was said to be above 250, then 230 and recently 220. I dont even know why people bother to say such redicoulis things because the car hasnt even been tested yet.

13. Re: so its the first production car with a 7-speed gear box

It hasn't changed from 252Mph, not from WV or Bugatti. The car will go like stink, and I have no doubt that it will beome the new fastest production car. It hasn't been delayed over and over, it was delayed once, since that delay it was always launching in 2004. Alot of motor journo's said it had alot more problems and was delayed again but it wasn't, where they got that from is anyones guess but they all had to apologise to VW-Audi.

14. Re: so its the first production car with a 7-speed gear box

The fact that the only person who has said a actual time for the car or anything about the car is Bugatti themselves when they ESTIMATED the times. Therefore it can not be called "the first production car with a 7 speed gearbox" because it is not a production vehicle. As you stated the car is having alot of problems. Most of them with the engine itself.

Another thing if the car were to be produced there is no possible way it would be produced with 4 turbochargers on it, expect 1 maybe 2 turbos (1 turbos would be pushing the emissions srtandards on a 16 cylinder engine even in European countries who are lenient with emission standards.)

Also the fact that it took Bugatti 4 turbos to reach the 1001bhp mark says that this car is made for show only. Whereas there are much smaller engines that can create that much bhp and more torque then the 16/4 with only using 1 turbo.

15. Re: so its the first production car with a 7-speed gear box

You haven't read up on this car much have you, the EB110 had 4 turbo's and that was a production car, you could have 8 turbo's theoretically and produce the same power as these 4, the 4 turbo's in this car are very small, the reason for that is to cut the turbo lag. A smaller turbo produces less lag than a larger one but less power, that is a general rule and there are exeptions to most rules.

I didn't say it has had alot of problems, I said it hasn't had alot. All the media saying it had been delayed over and over were false, the media also apologised for these rumours and stating they were fact. The only problem with the engine after deciding which engine they would use for the car (it was originally going to be a W18, then the chose a W16 instead) was cooling, a few extra intakes and outtakes solved that. The tyres have been tested at speeds of 270Mph, so they work at 252Mph. This is the exact spec that will start to be delivered early next year which is the date VW Audi set after the delay which is the only delay despite what the media said, which is part of what they had to apologise for. As for the emissions, it doesn't go over the emission standards. The car is undergoing it's final testing right now and since more than enough have been sold to make the car profitable, it has gained a lot of interest and it wiould be a bigger blow for VW Audi should it never be delivered than if they let all the media slogging go over their heads and deliver it when they've said they will.

16. #166 DodgeMS-4, Dec 27, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: so its the first production car with a 7-speed gear box

Quite contrary to what you think i have read as much info as i can get on this car because that is one of my hobbies as well as working on high performance vehicles.

It is a proven fact the the bigger an engine the more amount of exhaust the car will make versus a smaller engine, thus affeting emission standards. Obviously you have not studied the w16 it is a rather large motor. As i said before the only place that it might become street legal would be in European Countries but even then it might not pass their emission standards because of the 4 turbos thus it would have to be produced with 1, 2 turbos at most.

Had you read about any car manufacturer at all you would know this. I would advise you to read up on any car manufacturer's history. Unlike what you seem to think there was a time (the 70's and 80's) were gas prices grew higher. The way the government met this problem was to enact tougher emission standards, thus making it harder for larger engines to be used. Thus the ending of the muscle car era. You can take a look at any asain car manufacturer and you will notice how virtually all of the vehicles they produce have 6 cylinders or less, except for larger trucks.

The eb110 has a quard turbo v12, a v12 not a v 16 like the veyron has. There is a big difference between a v 12 and a v16 which you obviously have failed to see.

"A smaller turbo produces less lag than a larger one but less power, that is a general rule and there are exeptions to most rules."

Go to this site -

http://www.qv500.com/bugattieb110p1.htm

Specifically read the part that says this

"Producing an awesome 553bhp at 8000rpm, compression was set at 8.0:1, Bugatti fitting four IHI turbochargers and coupling the engine to a six-speed gearbox. Despite there being noticeable turbo lag below 3500rpm, from this point on the GT was just incredibly quick and with 451lbft of torque at 3750rpm, it's performance so easily accessible."

Seems like you dont know very much about turbos either because the IHI turbos are not very small.

Bugatti has had many problems with it thus why it was delayed many many times. I can go on to list the many problems it has had but that would not accomplish anything as you have failed to read something about the car in the first place.

"As for the emissions, it doesn't go over the emission standards. The car is undergoing it's final testing right now and since more than enough have been sold to make the car profitable, it has gained a lot of interest and it wiould be a bigger blow for VW Audi should it never be delivered than if they let all the media slogging go over their heads and deliver it when they've said they will"

So your saying that a veyron that has a large w16 with quad turbos is going to be street legal in the us? Even thought most of the states have adopted californias strict emmissions standards? lmao it will never happen.

17. Re: so its the first production car with a 7-speed gear box

Ok, first off, I never said the EB110 used small turbo's, I said the Veyron does, and it does. Secondly it is going ahead with 4 turbo's, the first delivery is all set and the soon to be owner is a happy man. Your right that the bigger the engine the more fumes in general, but an 8 liter engine from the early 90's is alot worse than an 8 liter engine made today. The development of the engine had that in mind as one of the big potential problems, add a decent enough converter and Bobs you uncle. The fact that you didn't seem to link the new technology with lower emissions tells me that you havn't read up as much as you say you have.

Your link about the EB110 is pointless as my comment on small turbo's had nothing to do with the EB110. Once again the car has not had anywhere near as many problems as the media said it had. Also I never said the car will be produced in the US, it won't, it's being done in Europe.

18. Re: so its the first production car with a 7-speed gear box

"The development of the engine had that in mind as one of the big potential problems, add a decent enough converter and Bobs you uncle. The fact that you didn't seem to link the new technology with lower emissions tells me that you havn't read up as much as you say you have.

Your link about the EB110 is pointless as my comment on small turbo's had nothing to do with the EB110. Once again the car has not had anywhere near as many problems as the media said it had. Also I never said the car will be produced in the US, it won't, it's being done in Europe."

Now re read what you posted, specifically this sentence -

"Also I never said the car will be produced in the US, it won't, it's being done in Europe."

Maybe you should do yourself a favro and actually read up more on the car.

The reason it will not be produced in the US is because the United States's emissions standards wont allow a car such as the veyron to be produced in the states let alone become street legal.
    Thus the reason virtually every high performance car manufacturer produces their vehicles in European countries - because their emission standards arent as strict as the US.

The link to the eb110 was far from pointless, had you gone to it you would have read about the turbos the eb110 uses and they are the same ones that the 16/4 will use, also IHI turbochargers especially the ones in use for the eb110 and 16/4 are not small they are quite large in comparison with garrett turbochargers.

A good idea would be to read up on the subject which you obviously dont know much about.

19. Re: so its the first production car with a 7-speed gear box

Why don't you read up on the car, go to Bugatti's official web site where you will see that it uses 4 small turbo's to cut down on lag. Stop pretending you know about this car, you don't. On that site you will also see that the car is in it's final stage or hot phase, NOT the prototype phase as you call it, I've asked a few people about terms used by people who work with cars and there is no way someone who knows the industry would say this is in the prototype phase. To clear a couple of things up, the hot phase is when FINAL testing is done, final testing means it's already done a load of testing, contrary to what you believe.

20. Re: so its the first production car with a 7-speed gear box

Maybe you should do yourself a favor and actually read what i wrote.
    I compared the IHI turbos (that are used on the eb110 and the 16/4 veyron) to a garrett turbocharger and as you obvioulsy do not know their is indeed a difference between the two. Again had you actually read what i wrote and not just glanced, their would have been no need for you to reply to what i posted.

I compared the IHI turbochargers on the eb110 and 16/4 to a Garrett turbocharger, in which there is a noticeable difference.

Actually i do know alot about the 16/4 as well as the eb110 i can go on and on to write everything i know about them but i do not feel like writing a novel right now, also the fact that you seem to not read anyhting i wrote is another reason i will not do so.

As i stated before there are 3 stages for a vehicle.

Stage 1 = Concept = Design of the vehicle.

Stage 2 = Prototype = 1st unit of vehicle, which stays in the production phase until all the problems with the vehicle are worked out. final stage or hot phase as you put it is just another name for a working prototype.

Stage 3 = Production = Vehicle is only put into production after all problems with the vehicle are worked out and it is agreed by the manufacturer to do so. Seeing as how the 16/4 has not been put into production and it will not be put in production for a few more months because the car STILL has problems it is still in the final stage of the prototype category.

Before you decide to write a clever remark Live4Speed think to yourself that there are people out their that might know alot more then you.

Every vehicle manufacturer in the world goes by those 3 stages.

21. Re: so its the first production car with a 7-speed gear box

Exept Bugatti I suppose, maybe some do use thoes stages but so what, were talking about the Veyron and Bugatti will tell you it's in the Hot phase or final phase and I have spoken to people who work in the auto industry and they seem to think that it's not in the prototype phase. Also you said that prototype phase was 1 vehicle built, there are more than 1 Veyron's around, so it's not just 1 unit being tested, chances are though that regarding the phases, location would have alot to do with it, one country might call it one thing another might call it another thing and so on. You kept saying the car hadn't even been tested once before, what a stupid thing for someone who claims to know about these things to say, it's been in testing for a while now and will continue testing until early 04.

22. Re: so its the first production car with a 7-speed gear box

even if it isnt still like the car

23. Re: so its the first production car with a 7-speed gear box

"Exept Bugatti I suppose, maybe some do use thoes stages but so what, were talking about the Veyron and Bugatti will tell you it's in the Hot phase or final phase and I have spoken to people who work in the auto industry and they seem to think that it's not in the prototype phase. Also you said that prototype phase was 1 vehicle built, there are more than 1 Veyron's around, so it's not just 1 unit being tested, chances are though that regarding the phases, location would have alot to do with it, one country might call it one thing another might call it another thing and so on. You kept saying the car hadn't even been tested once before, what a stupid thing for someone who claims to know about these things to say, it's been in testing for a while now and will continue testing until early 04."

Quite contrary to what you seem to think EVERY vehicle manufacturer uses those stages of vehicle production. Maybe you should actually ask a car manufacturer and not some person you just ran into what he or she thinks.

No i did not say that there was only 1 16/4 veyron. Had you actually read what i posted (which you seem not to do) you would have gathered that i said this -

Stage 1 = Concept = Design of the vehicle.

Stage 2 = Prototype = 1st unit of vehicle, which stays in the production phase until all the problems with the vehicle are worked out. final stage or hot phase as you put it is just another name for a working prototype.

Amazingly enough when a car manufacturer designs a vehicle and they decide to make a prototype they make 1, after which they usually make 1 or 2 more so they can test the vehicle in different ways.

I kept repeating that the 16/4 has not been tested for 0-60, topspeed or any other speed/time categories which it has not. I did not say it hasnt been tested at all like you wrote above. Word of advice Live4Speed when you decide to debate with someone a good idea would be to actually read what they say and if u do so not take it out of context like a idiot.

It will be in testing until 04 or later because their is still problems with the vehicle which you fail to see. If the vehicle has gone through testing as you seem to think it wouldn't be in testing right now would it? I am tired of debating with you Live4Speed about the 16/45 especially because all you have done is posted your opinions you have not once posted any form of evidence to back up your claims.

24. Re: so its the first production car with a 7-speed gear box

#$%# off, you've said on several occasions that the 16/4 has never been tested without mentioning speed or acceleration. As for your wording on the stages, it's not concept, prototype, production over here, as I said, the differences we have on that are most likely down to location.

25. Re: so its the first production car with a 7-speed gear box

it has been tested. tested in philadelphia. ya, philly!