some f1 questons

Discussion in 'Technical' started by 88Ayrton90Senna91, Jan 14, 2006.

1. 1. why is formula one known as formula one?
    2.are the teams allowed to switch thier gearing, such as longer gears for Italy and shorter gears for Monaco?
    3. if we conveted thier fuel to the octain rating what would it be?
    4. how much torque do you think the 1.5L turbo engined produced.
    5. what is their current minum weight for the 2005 season and is thier a maximum weight?

thanks

2. 1. Because its the highest class of Grand Prix racing
    2. Yes
    3. 102 RON, and no additives allowed.
    4. Not much
    5: 600kg including driver.

3. 3. 102 RON?

no they have to run on the equivelent of 97 RON

4. the rules state a maximum of 102 RON.

FIA regulations: Article 19.3

5. 1. It is based on a "formula" for open wheel racecars. "One" since its the highest of the formula raceseries.

2. Yes. The teams also make their own gearboxes.

3. No more than 102 RON. Their fuel is very similar to what can be bought at the gas station, and the contents of the fuel is very much dictated by the regulations. A F1 engine can be run on normal pump petrol with a loss of a few horsepowers. Since engine speeds are so high they usually don't have that much problem with engine knock.

4. For example Honda RA167E produced 664 Nm in race trim, this at about 9800 rpm. The torque was however above 500 Nm in a range between about 6500-13000 rpm.

5. 600 kg with driver but without fuel.

6. There was a rumor that Shell Oil (I think?) was developing a fuel that would be legal under the current rules, but would have a higher energy density (kj/kg) allowing for less fuel on board or for fewer pit stops. Do you know anything about this or if it is still being considered?

7. I think that was frozen fuel (or something like that), basically it meant they could fit more in (dont ask me how)

8. To cool the fuel below ambient haven't been allowed for some time now. To cool the fuel before the car was filled have however been used earlier and I also believe that it have resulted in bursted fuel tanks.

There have however been talk about Shell developing a lighter fuel. Shell makes the fuel for Ferrari, and it is specially developed for their engines. Have an article about their fuel somewhere...

9. Actuallly Shell developed a wide range of fuels for Ferrari with different densities. The density of the fuel used would depend on the fuel stategy, sometime they would want a high density. This is because during refueling the rate of fuel flow is controlled, so having a higher density, you can put more energy into the fuel tank in a shorter time.

10. 5. I read that the 600kg includes quite a lot of ballast. Is it true that the car can be as light as 440kg?

11. Shell makes about 30 different fuels a year for Ferrari. From these 30 about four or five are used. All fuels that are going to be used during a year must be sent to FIA for a chemical analysis and approval. Using gas chromography each of the approved fuels will have their own "fingerprint". During the races fuel samples will be taken from the competing cars, and these samples must then match the "fingerprint" of one of the approved fuels.
    These different fuels are then designed to have different properties, and the fuel can be chosen depending on how it's going to be used. It should however be noted that only one fuel is allowed per team and race so the fuel must be chosen up to three weeks in advance in order to get the correct fuel to the location of the race.
    On a track where there will be long stints you most likely want a lighter fuel in order to save all the weight that you can while on a track with short stints you most likely want a fuel with a higher density in order to save time on refueling. The density range is however only 7.5%, 0.720-0.775 kg/litre.
    There are of course also several other important properties that can be varied. Shell uses computer simulation when they create the fuels, which are then sent to Ferrari for testing.
    During the spring 2005 the latest fuel was V-Power ULG59/L5, an evolution of ULG58, both which were said to have low densities. ULG60 was designed for use in hot environments like Monaco.

12. yes...it is very possible to make a car very very light.

Saving weight and adding balasts means that the way the car behaves can be altered to suit the track. the centre of gravity isn't in the dead center of the car longitudinally, it may be a few centimetres to the side depending on the track.

13. They've lowered the minimum weight so they can't use as much ballast (maybe not for this year? I think '07). Apparently they were using expensive, really dense materials as ballast. Or maybe I made that up.

14. They use tungsten based heavy metal or depleted uranium as ballast. Since a good car has more than 50 kg that not only results in costs but also a larger amount of energy in the event of a crash.

15. they used depleted uranium on the hull of the Australia II Yacht that one the America's Cup in '83