STATS ALL WRONG

Discussion in '2000 Ford Saleen Mustang S-281' started by SeansVette, Aug 9, 2002.

1. You will not find a new Saleen S281-SC for under $45,000.00, not the 28K base price they state here. It still gets smoked by a C5 Corvette. How do I know?
    I used to be the not so proud owner of a Black 2001 Saleen S281 #14, 3.55 gears, Bassani X-pipe. Very very nice looking cars, lots of attention, very little performance. <!-- Signature -->

2. Re: STATS ALL WRONG

Do you know a good car when you see one??? Apparently not. Its is still a good peformer.

3. Re: STATS ALL WRONG

555NM torque thats all i need, damn awesome!!!<!-- Signature -->

4. Re: STATS ALL WRONG

I REALLY AGREE THAT THERE IS NOPERFORMANCE<!-- Signature -->

5. Re: STATS ALL WRONG

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from slickav</i>
    <b>Do you know a good car when you see one??? Apparently not. Its is still a good peformer.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Well, just to let you know the 11.9 second 1/4 mile they posted here are NOT accurate. I've only heard about one guy, one time getting 12.9, and that was his best run with his rear tires deflated to 11 PSI. The NON supercharged Saleen S281s go for about $36,000, and only do about 14 flat in the 1/4 mile. That's just not a very impressive bang for the buck. <!-- Signature -->

6. Re: STATS ALL WRONG

For all ya b*!ch@s out there sayin that it has no good performance your kinda right on this car cause it has a 5-speed transmision. Saleen is a Mustang S281 equiped with nos and it has a saleen 6-speed transmission it will brn the shit of this PONY<!-- Signature -->

7. Re: STATS ALL WRONG

Seansvette: "Well, just to let you know the 11.9 second 1/4 mile they posted here are NOT accurate. I've only heard about one guy, one time getting 12.9, and that was his best run with his rear tires deflated to 11 PSI. The NON supercharged Saleen S281s go for about $36,000, and only do about 14 flat in the 1/4 mile. That's just not a very impressive bang for the buck."

0-100mph in 11.9 second not quarter mile.
    The base price for non supercharged 2002 Saleen S281 is 33,000 and the base price for supercharged 2002 Saleen S281 is a tad over 39,000.
    Seansvette, I guess the dealer you got it from marked up higher than sugg. Retail.
    350 horses, and the new supercharged S281 one has 365...“very little performance”? I don’t think so.

saleen.com

8. Re: STATS ALL WRONG

Anybody ever think that performance is more than just straight line acceleration? The saleens have amazing brakes and insane handling. Who cares if they are a little slow in the quarter compared to other cars. They look sweet and will hand most cars their ass in autocross and road racing.

9. Re: STATS ALL WRONG

Last time i checked the 2002 supercharged saleen s281 had 425HP. I went to the LA auto show where they had them on display and that confirmed what i had read beforehand.<!-- Signature -->

10. #10 SeansVette, Aug 9, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: STATS ALL WRONG

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Hoseman</i>
    <b>Seansvette: "Well, just to let you know the 11.9 second 1/4 mile they posted here are NOT accurate. I've only heard about one guy, one time getting 12.9, and that was his best run with his rear tires deflated to 11 PSI. The NON supercharged Saleen S281s go for about $36,000, and only do about 14 flat in the 1/4 mile. That's just not a very impressive bang for the buck."

The base price for non supercharged 2002 Saleen S281 is 33,000 and the base price for supercharged 2002 Saleen S281 is a tad over 39,000.
    Seansvette, I guess the dealer you got it from marked up higher than sugg. Retail.
    350 horses, and the new supercharged S281 one has 365...“very little performance”? I don’t think so.

saleen.com</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Thank you for catching that I was looking in the wrong field (11.9). Those prices you stated are not accurate. I know where you got them from www.saleen.com. I was a regular on the Saleen forum (tech talk - ask Saleen). Everyone on the board knows that the prices stated on the website are BS, and so are the performance stats they post of other cars.
    And no, I did not pay a dime over MSRP. I actually got $1000 under MSRP.

365 horse power looks good on paper, you're right. But the price of an S281-SC is REALLY about $45,000. That's $45,000 for a 13.5 second car.
    If you still don't believe me go to www.saleen.com, look up who your local Saleen dealer would be, and then call them and ask, "how much is your cheapest NEW Saleen S281." I'll bet any money he tells you $35,500 for a non-supercharged. <!-- Signature -->

11. Re: STATS ALL WRONG

ok you think your vet is fat check out the BOSS MUSTANG 1.9 0-60

12. Re: STATS ALL WRONG

Stangs will always beat the pants off of any vette<!-- Signature -->

13. Re: STATS ALL WRONG

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from shoeish</i>
    <b>Anybody ever think that performance is more than just straight line acceleration? The saleens have amazing brakes and insane handling. Who cares if they are a little slow in the quarter compared to other cars. They look sweet and will hand most cars their ass in autocross and road racing. </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Brakes are stock my friend, unless you pay extra for upgraded brakes. And I wouldn't call the handling "insane," with Saleen's standard suspension mods they take a mediocre handling GT, and make it decent. I'd say right up there with a standard C5 Corvette.
    You are right though, they look awesome! The 99-01 Saleens really look killer.
    <!-- Signature -->

14. Re: STATS ALL WRONG

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from gtstang</i>
    <b>Last time i checked the 2002 supercharged saleen s281 had 425HP. I went to the LA auto show where they had them on display and that confirmed what i had read beforehand.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

You're thinking of the S281-E, their newest model. Forged internals, increased boost and redline, 6 speed tranny, all for the low price of about 60+ grand.

Standard S281-SC has 365 horse power for the 01+ models. <!-- Signature -->

15. Re: STATS ALL WRONG

You guys, just chill a bit, go hook up with some girl,
    get a massage, just relax a bit.
    I think this Saleen, looks very Nice
    Its a Lovely Car
    I know all about the S281-E
    I wish that wen I become of legal age
    My Parents would buy me one, well if i good grades
    and my Parents can afford this for me

16. #16 Heyman, Aug 9, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: STATS ALL WRONG

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from SeansVette</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Hoseman</i>
    <b>Seansvette: "Well, just to let you know the 11.9 second 1/4 mile they posted here are NOT accurate. I've only heard about one guy, one time getting 12.9, and that was his best run with his rear tires deflated to 11 PSI. The NON supercharged Saleen S281s go for about $36,000, and only do about 14 flat in the 1/4 mile. That's just not a very impressive bang for the buck."

Thank you for catching that I was looking in the wrong field (11.9). Those prices you stated are not accurate. I know where you got them from www.saleen.com. I was a regular on the Saleen forum (tech talk - ask Saleen). Everyone on the board knows that the prices stated on the website are BS, and so are the performance stats they post of other cars.
    And no, I did not pay a dime over MSRP. I actually got $1000 under MSRP.

365 horse power looks good on paper, you're right. But the price of an S281-SC is REALLY about $45,000. That's $45,000 for a 13.5 second car.
    If you still don't believe me go to www.saleen.com, look up who your local Saleen dealer would be, and then call them and ask, "how much is your cheapest NEW Saleen S281." I'll bet any money he tells you $35,500 for a non-supercharged. </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

I didn't realize that it would cost that much. It's still a performer though, it would beat the similarly priced base corvette. I guess it makes more sense to supercharge your GT/Cobra yourself then. As far as Saleen goes, the S351 is nasty, 495 hp and 490 ft. lbs. of torque.

17. Re: STATS ALL WRONG

Now, this is the Sweetest Car ive seen, For the money, I wouldn't even care if this car has only 200 horses, It lokes mad ill.
    i would just put the Honey Comb Grill Back on, Paint it silver, Than get the Blackout Lites, Put an ill system in, Strobes,(hydrolics would be nice!) blacklights and theworks, exhaust and nothing else,screw the Engine, This car is sweet just looking at it<!-- Signature -->

18. Re: STATS ALL WRONG

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Hoseman</i>

well the times still arent great b/c a zo6 does the 1/4 in 12 @115mph. so saleens arent all that great now if we want to compare the top stang against the top vette. the stang gets really smoked the lingenfelter hits 100 in 7.4. and this is all with street tires.

19. Re: STATS ALL WRONG

Can this beat a Z06?<!-- Signature -->

20. Re: STATS ALL WRONG

no IT cant :( ...anyways the mustang boss does 0-60 in 1.97 :/ thats quite fast ..in fact it should be thae fastest in the 0-60 record and is not even listed :( .. anyways here in my country the mitsubishi evolution is street legal and I am glad to say that is cheap and it does 0-60 in 4.6-5 wich is pretty good for a 25 thousand dollar car :D

I might just get one

21. Re: STATS ALL WRONG

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from vettenut</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Hoseman</i>

well the times still arent great b/c a zo6 does the 1/4 in 12 @115mph. so saleens arent all that great now if we want to compare the top stang against the top vette. the stang gets really smoked the lingenfelter hits 100 in 7.4. and this is all with street tires.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

...or with Mickey Thompson's, aka 'cheat slicks'.

Good job comparing a 150k car to a 40k car. This ain't the top stang. Check the Boss mustang, sure to kill the ligenfelter. The Ford without forced air compared to a TUNER car with twin turbos and the Ford wins. 0-100 in 5.5 seconds, and with a tranny not build for the quarter, but for 0-60. Tsk Tsk.<!-- Signature -->

22. Re: STATS ALL WRONG

these cars are fast.... but not quite that fast and yeah a Z06 will smoke one up pretty well 02 s281-e has 365 Hp the non supercharged one has 285...<!-- Signature -->

23. Re: STATS ALL WRONG

I thought it would perform better than it did.<!-- Signature -->