Stock 2003 Z06 vs Stock 2003 Cobra

Discussion in '2003 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra' started by Mantronix, Nov 4, 2003.

1. #2 Mantronix, Nov 4, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
  2. Re: Stock 2003 Z06 vs Stock 2003 Cobra

round a track Z06 for sure. cobra isnt even in the same leage, look an the price. Cobra is in the 30s Z06 50s. they were never meant to compete, but that is a very interesting [dyno]chart.

3. Re: Stock 2003 Z06 vs Stock 2003 Cobra

that is what forced induction will do for u

Corvette is and always be in a different league than the mustang

4. Re: Stock 2003 Z06 vs Stock 2003 Cobra

this would be a killer contest. the Z has the exceleration and track in hand, but the SVT may beat it on the strip and in sales, but hey, their American and have V8s, dream cars in my view

5. Re: Stock 2003 Z06 vs Stock 2003 Cobra

I have to say this... Both are great American Muscle and Both are fun to drive... I have never driven a Z06 but I have have driven a 2001 Corvette Coupe and I was very impressed... And I am now the proud owner of a 03 Cobra... And haven driven many previous Cobras I have to say that when you turn the key and start up this new Cobra, it means serious business...

Both are Compariable cars and both are American... And I was looking at both to buy but I can tell you this... Even if the Z06 is a little faster... .5 and under isn't a big difference...

Trust me, I have my fun in my 03 Cobra almost too much fun when you get out on the interstate but when you start making that $700 to $750 a month car payment... And the performance isn't leap and bounds over the Cobra... You might reconsider your options...

You are getting almost the same performance and saving some money too!

American Car are on top!

6. Re: Stock 2003 Z06 vs Stock 2003 Cobra

I haven't had the opportunity as yet but I think the weight diff will get me. It'd be a blast just the same.

7. Re: Stock 2003 Z06 vs Stock 2003 Cobra

Now lets go show those r1ce burners what a REAL car is. Keep it AMERICAN.

8. Re: Stock 2003 Z06 vs Stock 2003 Cobra

LOL, I dunno whether you know what a REAL car is.

9. Re: Stock 2003 Z06 vs Stock 2003 Cobra

why would anyone ask this question. NO THE COBRA WOULD WIP THE Z06's ASS! dumb thread...

10. Re: Stock 2003 Z06 vs Stock 2003 Cobra

you compleatly missed the point of the thread you chode.

11. Re: Stock 2003 Z06 vs Stock 2003 Cobra

Well, if you read the article in the link in the second post, youd realize the Z06 is better in the 1/4 mile. However, an easy solution for that would be tires. The Z06 uses like 8.5, 9 inch tires while the Cobra uses 7.5, 8.

12. Re: Stock 2003 Z06 vs Stock 2003 Cobra

I honestly think the cobra would need a lot more then just haveing an inch wider tires to compete with a zo6 even if it is just a drag competition

13. Re: Stock 2003 Z06 vs Stock 2003 Cobra

Not really. The Cobra R had a bhp that (though only estimated), was lower than the current Cobra's bhp. This would likely mean (providing that they have a similar power loss percentage) the current Cobra has just a little more power than the 2000 Cobra R. Lots of the research and technology from the Cobra R likely helped in the development of the current Cobra anyway. THe Cobra R lost by like .2 or less I believe, so those times are rather close. not to mention, that the Z06 probably has longer gears than the Cobra (i'll have to check up on that for sure, but i'm pretty sure the Cobra's gears are shorter). However, since the Cobra R went against the Z06, the Z06 has gained some 20 or so hp. But using the chart provided in the first post, the Cobra gets only 10 rwhp less. With some better rear tires, the Cobra has a fighting chance due to its shorter gearing than the Z06.

14. Re: Stock 2003 Z06 vs Stock 2003 Cobra

Hey, If you know your cars and info, then argue against Bored up r 32, because he doesnt agree that Torque is really that imortant! First I thought he said its not important at all, but now I think he just is saying(or maybe was saying all this time) that Torque isnt really that important...and I disagree with him ALOT!

15. Re: Stock 2003 Z06 vs Stock 2003 Cobra

Sorry, i dont seek arguments. However, if he were to try to prove me wrong even when I'm right, then there would be hell to pay.

16. Re: Stock 2003 Z06 vs Stock 2003 Cobra

Congradulations! Mr. Reading Comprehention 2004! Did you even see what he said? He said torque alone does not take all factors in play, into play. And then said the power rating does. Horsepower already takes torque into consideration strictly by how its calculated. And if its already factored in through the HP figure, theres no point to the lone torque figure.

17. Re: Stock 2003 Z06 vs Stock 2003 Cobra

Ya thats why i wasnt certain, when I wrote itm I think I made it clear! and I still idsagree...saying Torque is A Lot if not all!(plus gearing!)

18. Re: Stock 2003 Z06 vs Stock 2003 Cobra

Torque plus gearing IS EFFECTIVELY HP!

Jesus you're thick.

19. Re: Stock 2003 Z06 vs Stock 2003 Cobra

It would need to go on a diet.

20. Re: Stock 2003 Z06 vs Stock 2003 Cobra

You needn't consider it. You and I had a pleasant exchange regarding the SVT's floating calipers.

I only jump on people who have a tendency to speak/write out of dislike for a particular car/engine/design without any real reason or data as to why.

21. Re: Stock 2003 Z06 vs Stock 2003 Cobra

True but to go on that diet they'd need to get rid of an iron block which is cheaper then forged aluminum the poor quality sc they use is very heavy it self and a better one would cost them more, the outdated chassis would need replacing, better suspension, way to much to economicly pull it off, and have the cobra drop 500 lbs with out rising the price like a mother f*cker. Even the 01 cobra weighed considerbly more then a corvette.

22. Re: Stock 2003 Z06 vs Stock 2003 Cobra

Which is why you get what you pay for.........

23. Re: Stock 2003 Z06 vs Stock 2003 Cobra

Thats why theres '03 Cobra weight reductian kits, good for 500-600 pounds off, for little more than $1000. That $1k going to parts for those that need replacing, and instructions on what to do. $1000 isnt a mother#$%#er. Ford just can live with a Mustang minus the back seat.

24. Ok, I will finally end this whole debate. In my family we have an 02 Camaro SS (which is mine), an 02 C5 Corvette (my father's), and an 03 Cobra (brother's). All three are stock, and here are the times we have run in Ennis, Texas. Keep in mind these are the best times that we have gotten in the quarter mile.

02 SS- 13.1
    03 Cobra- 12.8
    02 C5- 12.5

By the way, we put BFG Drag radials on the Cobra and it runs dead even with the C5 on the street now, but we havent gotten a time on it yet.