Stock Mustang boss 427 vs. Challenger Hemi.... what u think?

Discussion in '1969 Ford Mustang BOSS 429' started by 1999MitsuEclipse, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Re: Stock Mustang boss 427 vs. Challenger Hemi.... what u think?

Yes, we know the HEMI in the Challenger was a real HEMI, but the BOSS had normal combustion chambers. The CAMMER, on the other hand, was Ford's response to Chyrslers HEMIs. The CAMMER had hemispherical combustion chambers too.

2. Re: Stock Mustang boss 427 vs. Challenger Hemi.... what u think?

The Mustang V-10 was featured in Motor Trend mag about 6 months ago. It was installed on a 2003 Mustang gT to see how well it would perform. With 430 horsepower it did 0-60 mph in 4.4 sec and a 1/4 mile in 12.88 at 114.84 mph. I believe that same engine is in the Ford F250 or F350 SuperDuty Truck. The 2004 Ford Shelby Cobra Concept also uses a Ford V-10. Its on this web Site. Its a Ford V-10 with 600 horsepower.

3. Re: Stock Mustang boss 427 vs. Challenger Hemi.... what u think?

For the longest time I never knew the 429 was a Hemi too.

4. Re: Stock Mustang boss 427 vs. Challenger Hemi.... what u think?

Wow, neither did I. But the CAMMER is still king.

5. Re: Stock Mustang boss 427 vs. Challenger Hemi.... what u think?

Quote from master cobra

But the HEMI would beat this hands down. But the BOSS's big brother upstairs (the CAMMER) would show the HEMI who's boss. hehe. THe Chevy 454 was best in the El Camino/Chevelle in 1970 in the LS1 form. The Chevelle, however, was too heavy to really put its power to good use. The ONLY car/engine combo that was street legal that would be anythin with a HEMI would be a 1970 El Camino SS 454 LS1 with the best axle available. I say street legal because the CAMMER never was...but then again...it was the ost powerful engine of its time. NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING came close to the CAMMER's power, street-legal or not, domestic or import without using forced induction. Imagine throwing a blower on the CAMMER.... That gives me the chills man

What the hell is a 1970 454 LS1? there was never such an engine. i hope you were refering to the LS6.

6. Re: Stock Mustang boss 427 vs. Challenger Hemi.... what u think?

I never even heard of the CAMMER untill recently. I guess thats a Bad @ss engine too!

7. #32 GT40 Mk 1 Gulf, Mar 30, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
  8. Re: Stock Mustang boss 427 vs. Challenger Hemi.... what u think?

657 horsepower in 1965! Damn that was a freakin monster back then. Thats about the same as the Enzo Ferrari.

9. Re: Stock Mustang boss 427 vs. Challenger Hemi.... what u think?

Master Cobra says that rycers need turbos and mods to be fast and american cars dont. And above that he states how powerful and awesome a ford gt is. if he took a closer look at the engine he would see the supercharger sitting on top of it.

10. Re: Stock Mustang boss 427 vs. Challenger Hemi.... what u think?

errr, yeah, I kinda knew that, so dont act like you're a frikken genius. The truth is, forced induction isnt my favorite thing. But if its not overused, it can be a good thing. Hell, name one POWERFUL street-legal asian car that DOESNT use forced induction. I say powerful because the NSX, though fast, is only fast because of its dimensions, weight, etc, NOT because of its power. Hell, a Mach 1 has more damn torque than it. But it weighs more too. Bottom line, if you would read the OTHER parts of my forum sig you'd realize than Im all about muscle cars. And isnt your name "69 Yenko Camaro 427"? Id honestly prefer a 427 GT just like the very first ones. But that wasnt gonna happen, especially if Ford wanted to keep it cheap. The truth is that you could get maybe 1000 horses our of a Ford 5.4 4-valve WITHOUT forced induction, but it'd cost a HELL of alot to develop and such. Thats why NASCAR engines (5Ls) make 800 horses but arent available to the public, because they cost ALOT to research and build. So in conclusion, forced induction isnt the best thing, but if you want the car to be priced cheaply but still create alot of power, its an option.

11. Re: Stock Mustang boss 427 vs. Challenger Hemi.... what u think?

i would take the boss 429, it would spank the other cars.

12. Re: Stock Mustang boss 427 vs. Challenger Hemi.... what u think?

I think the HEMI would win. The BOSS 429 was a detuned version of the one Ford wanted to run in NASCAR, whereas the HEMI was the original version and the NASCAR ones were suped up, if that makes sense. Thats my theory. And if Ford wanted to really kill the HEMIs with the Boss 429, why would it be underrated so much more than the HEMI?

13. Re: Stock Mustang boss 427 vs. Challenger Hemi.... what u think?

I would take the Hemi. The 426 was a true successor.

14. Re: Stock Mustang boss 427 vs. Challenger Hemi.... what u think?

Still, nothing beats the CAMMER.

15. Re: Stock Mustang boss 427 vs. Challenger Hemi.... what u think?

Yeah 657 horsepower in 1965 is pretty amazing. I wounder what the MPG was though. Ford should have put the CAMMER in all of the GT40s that were used in 24 Hours LeMans.

16. Re: Stock Mustang boss 427 vs. Challenger Hemi.... what u think?

Well with Le Mans they woulda had the same problem as NASCAR. The CAMMER woulda needed to be mass marketed but it was too powerful to be street-legal. but if they did do that, Ford would've been INVINCIBLE. It musta got like 5-7 MPG on the street.

17. Re: Stock Mustang boss 427 vs. Challenger Hemi.... what u think?

5-7 MPG. Owning a gas station back then must have been a real good successful buisness. I bet eveybody was constantly hanging out at the gass station because their cars sucked so much gas. Its funny how times changed. V-8s now days do pretty good. What is the MPG of this new CAMMER engine?

18. Re: Stock Mustang boss 427 vs. Challenger Hemi.... what u think?

I have no idea. Maybe like 12 on the street, 16on the highway (atleast the carbeurated version). The Fuel injected version must get about 2 more for each.

19. Re: Stock Mustang boss 427 vs. Challenger Hemi.... what u think?

Thats with 657 horsepower too, right? Not bad if it is. Opec wont be happy. Damn gas is going up again.

20. Re: Stock Mustang boss 427 vs. Challenger Hemi.... what u think?

No, this is the new one. Refer back up to your post before this last one, lol. Sides, there wasnt a fuel injected version of the 65 CAMMER, merely a single carbed version and dual carbed version. But I say we piss on OPEC, they love choking Americans by the throat.

21. Re: Stock Mustang boss 427 vs. Challenger Hemi.... what u think?

We should have just took over the oil fields in Iraq, kept it for our damn selves, and forced our way into OPEC as a new member.

22. Re: Stock Mustang boss 427 vs. Challenger Hemi.... what u think?

Sadly, I'm now actually torn between the whole Iraqi oil thing. I'm against stealing from the Iraqis, but what can we do if OPEC is trying to jam themselves up our asses? I say we use Iraqi oil and oinly Iraqi oil but we shouldnt put crooks like Enron's former President in charge of the oil contracts out there. The American people are being screwed on many levels. Its either OPEC or the American corporations who are draining them of money at the gas pump.

23. Re: Stock Mustang boss 427 vs. Challenger Hemi.... what u think?

Yeah your right. Exactly. We might as well buy some lube and get used to OPEC jamming themselves up are asses cause I dont see a solution to this #$%#ed up problem.

24. Re: Stock Mustang boss 427 vs. Challenger Hemi.... what u think?

hi all

both cars are legendar and their engines too. i have of couse a preference for the hemi but the 429ci boss was awesome pice of machinery.Better than the boss was the cammer or the 427sohc (single overhead cam) probably the best of the best engines ever built in the usa.The hemi has won many many nascars and drag races it made it famous during the mid 50's till today.Put the peak age of the hemi engines were years 1964-1969 where the greatest battles opposed ford to mopar.

regards

426hemistage8

25. Re: Stock Mustang boss 427 vs. Challenger Hemi.... what u think?

Yeah. Also, before you said we shoulda forced a way into OPEC, but the truch is that part of the reason OPEC was formed was to get as much money out of us as possible. Basically to collectively rasie prices for oil from all the nations in the organization.