Stock Mustang boss 427 vs. Challenger Hemi.... what u think?

Discussion in '1969 Ford Mustang BOSS 429' started by 1999MitsuEclipse, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Re: Stock Mustang boss 427 vs. Challenger Hemi.... what u think?

But still, the CAMMER owns all. Hands down. It had over 200 hp more (officially) than the HEMI. 425 as opposed to 657. I know the HEMI was underrated, but not nearly enough to be able to compete with the CAMMER. The CAMMER was Ford's response to the HEMIs. Ford clearly won. If the CAMMER had been street-legal, Ford would've won the battle on the dragstrip too.

2. Re: Stock Mustang boss 427 vs. Challenger Hemi.... what u think?

So were basicly #$%#ed for a real long time. How do we get out of this problem?

3. Re: Stock Mustang boss 427 vs. Challenger Hemi.... what u think?

I like both the Hemis and the Cammers. Especially the new Cammer.

4. Re: Stock Mustang boss 427 vs. Challenger Hemi.... what u think?

hi master cobra

i kinda agree with you. But if i remember correctly the cammer has been banned from the dragstrips for being too powerful as compared to the hemi and chevy engines.It is still today the most powerful american v8 ever built on that i agree.

regards

426hemistage8

5. Re: Stock Mustang boss 427 vs. Challenger Hemi.... what u think?

Well, we could negotiate instead of killing all their brothers and sisters there in Iraq or we can kill their brothers and sisters there in Iraq instead of negotiating. We're doing the latter. As for the American Oil companies...doesnt seem like we have any hope to handle them so far.

6. Re: Stock Mustang boss 427 vs. Challenger Hemi.... what u think?

Im pretty sure the CAMMER was never banned from THE dragstrips. Maybe a few. But not all. It wasnt street-legal, but it wasnt deadly. Because it wasnt street-legal it didnt sell enough units to be eligible for NASCAR like it was intended to be. But it wouldnt have mattered anyway. It woulda been banned just like the HEMI was. As a matter of fact, most of the 50 or so units that were produced were sold to private race teams (mostly dragsters I assume).

7. Re: Stock Mustang boss 427 vs. Challenger Hemi.... what u think?

according to my magazine only 125 cammer were built.And a few have been banned from the dragstrips but ther were some torinos and fairlane fitted with this engine.

regards

426hemistage8

8. #58 GT40 Mk 1 Gulf, Apr 18, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
  9. Re: Stock Mustang boss 427 vs. Challenger Hemi.... what u think?

hi

even if we haven't got the same sources, fact is that the cammer is nearly unfindable engine.you must be very lucky to find one.

regards

426hemistage8

10. Re: Stock Mustang boss 427 vs. Challenger Hemi.... what u think?

Hell Yeah!

11. Re: Stock Mustang boss 427 vs. Challenger Hemi.... what u think?

I assume hard as hell to find one too. At least the new Cammer Crate motor will be available to the market soon.

12. Re: Stock Mustang boss 427 vs. Challenger Hemi.... what u think?

Yup. But its still nothing compared to the old Cammer.

13. Re: Stock Mustang boss 427 vs. Challenger Hemi.... what u think?

the old cammer was much more powerful and torqueous than the new cammer.just look at master cobra's sig

regards

426hemistage8

14. Re: Stock Mustang boss 427 vs. Challenger Hemi.... what u think?

Its sorta ironic though cuz it was its own killer. It was so powerful to compete with the HEMIs in NASCAR but its own power made it illegal thus it never sold enough units to qualify for NASCAR.

15. Re: Stock Mustang boss 427 vs. Challenger Hemi.... what u think?

i have to agree. the cammer was probably one of the best and the toughest us engine ever built. some fairlanes were equipped with this motor they are now a rarity. don't forget also that the motor itself back in 1963 was a 2000$ option

16. Re: Stock Mustang boss 427 vs. Challenger Hemi.... what u think?

wasnt it a 1965 option? im pretty sure it was. regardless, the Cammer proves that American muscle can beat any pocket rocket from Japan.

17. Re: Stock Mustang boss 427 vs. Challenger Hemi.... what u think?

i don't remember exactly the year i will have check my sources but in every case remained an remains the most powerful stock engine built before the hemi

18. Re: Stock Mustang boss 427 vs. Challenger Hemi.... what u think?

It wasnt a 2003 Gt, it was the same Stang that was a test mule for the 2000 Cobra R(1999 stang), which is why a huge bulge in the hood(the 5.4 triton has a taller deck) The V10 was made by combining from Cobra 4.6's by combining them, takin two off one and addin them to another 2+8 or posibly 6+4 , so it became a 351(5.8) the Triton V10 is 6.8, even bigger than the Shelby cobra Concept. The best 1/4 mile time with it is around 11.9x or 11.8x, cant remember.(on street tires)

19. Re: Stock Mustang boss 427 vs. Challenger Hemi.... what u think?

Well, it looks like the mustang 429 takes all. They just tested most of the extreme classic muscle cars on speed channel (08/11/04). The tested the Mustang 429, the hemi 426 charger, the chevelle SS, the GTO Judge, an AMX and some sort of buick. The mustang beat them all in the 0-60 and in the quater mile. check it out for yourself. The cars were all exactly as they were received from the factory stock. Also, some of you guys are hung up on the horsepower, dont forget the torque!

20. Re: Stock Mustang boss 427 vs. Challenger Hemi.... what u think?

There were 500 "real" cammers made, and I've seen them slapped into mustangs, galaxies, comets, fairlanes, a 69 boss 429 and a cougar eliminator.

You got the stock Horsepower numbers right, but did you know:

On stock internals, cammers were making 1000 HP in the 60's.
    They were used for top fuel drag racing in the 60's as well, and made 1500 HP when configured for drag racing.

As for people saying HEMI's "own" Boss 9's... I forgot about this website and its stupidity; I haven't posted here in about 5 years and nothing has changed.

Someday when you bullshytters ride in either of these cars or perhaps (gasp) OWN one or both or these cars you'll stfu. Anyone who thinks a 429 will get owned by a Hemi needs a wakeup call, then again your just monkeys pounding on the keyboard over some HP/Torque/Weight numbers from some god knows what website.

The truth of the matter is, the cars are close enough where it comes down to the driver. Dont believe me? If you live in Phoenix, AZ I'll be happy to provide you with a ride along down at the Pavillions car show anytime. I'll give you a ride in a 04 SVT Cobra with ~450 HP then I'll give you a ride in a 70 Hemi cuda 4 speed and finally one in a 70 Boss 9, then you can feel what real power is.

21. Re: Stock Mustang boss 427 vs. Challenger Hemi.... what u think?

A stock Mustang boss 429 would beat a Hemi Dodge Challenger in the quarter mile, the boss mustang is THE fastest muscle car period not including the 427 Shelby Cobra of corse. I know for a fact that the Boss 429 is faster than the Hemi Dodge Challenger because i was watching a show where 10 muscle cars were put to different tests like 0 to 60 1/4 mile, solem and 60 to 0 and not only did the Boss beat every other car in the test in 0 to 60 and the 1/4 mile it beat them all over all with the Chevy Chevelle SS comming in a close second.

22. #72 TxStanG64, Aug 15, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: Stock Mustang boss 427 vs. Challenger Hemi.... what u think?

"first of all let me inform all of you that it's sad how a 23 year old is able to know more about cars from a generation twice his age than the people who lived through it. the "ealanor" in gone in sixty seconds is not even a gt 500 clone, it is entirely fabricated from new parts and custom addons. don't ever insult shelby's by calling it a shelby." --Quoted from 429man

Well not to "bust ur bubble" but im also half your age and the gt 500 in Gone In Sixty Seconds is actually a real Shelby.. they are built to Carol Shelby's exact specs and are registerd in the Shelby World Registration. Unless if that is what you meant.. cause your post is kinda confusing.

---- www.uniqueperformance.com ----

23. Re: Stock Mustang boss 427 vs. Challenger Hemi.... what u think?

id say 426 hemi because of the 425 hp but a gm 454 would rape both of them

24. Re: Stock Mustang boss 427 vs. Challenger Hemi.... what u think?

I think he meant the cars in the chase scene. Somethin like 7 or 8 replicas were made, each with different properties for different parts of the chase. the only real Shelby was the one in the parking garage. The rest are 67 fastbacks with matching bodykits and paintjobs.

25. BOSS 429 ALL THE WAY!!!