Strange/Rare car profiles-identifies threat

Discussion in 'Car Pictures' started by Vasileios Papaidis, Nov 1, 2013.

  1. 1931 Isotta Fraschini Tipo 8A Coupe (Martini Commercial Car)
    ista.jpg

    The 1667 chassis was in fact delivered in 1932 to the owner of Villa d'Este, home of the eponymous Competition of Elegance, sold years later to Martini & Rossi , who decided to make it an advertising car. The Count Revelli imagined the shapes of a single specimen, made by the Viotti body, equipped with a dorsal fin that integrated a fake bottle into the tail. Isotta Fraschini participated in many events, including the Giro d'Italia and the Giro di Francia, but was later modified in 1951 using a Lincoln chassis, even risking demolition.

    In depth..
    The car is likely to be one of the last of the Tipo 8A models produced that were powered by a 7.4-liter OHC straight-8. It was delivered new with a sedan body in February of 1931 to Mr. Willy Dombre, head of the famous Grand Hotel Villa d’Este on Lake Como in Italy. In 1932, he sold the car to Mr. Piero Noseda, a gentleman from a wealthy family living in Como.

    Four years later on February 4, 1936, Noseda sold the car to Count Rossi of Martini & Rossi, well-known for the vermouth and wines that it produces. Shortly thereafter, the company decided to replace its publicity car (a Delage bodied by Chapron) as it had been in an accident. The newly-purchased Isotta was next sent to the Turin, Italy based Carrozzeria Viotti where this exceptional aerodynamic coupe coachwork was constructed.

    According to Berkein, Count Revelli, who was the chief designer for Viotti at the time, produced the drawings for this coachwork. It was completed with a dorsal fin and rear fender skirts of the style that were popular in the late-1930s. The Viotti Coupe was used in Italy for publicity purposes until 1939 when it was shipped to the newly opened Belgian branch of Martini & Rossi. After the war, the car was used at many bicycle and automobile races by Martini.

    In the early-fifties, the car then being close to thirty years old was quite mechanically outdated, and it was decided to place the coupe coachwork on a more modern chassis. Unfortunately, they could not find one that was as long as the Isotta chassis, and a shorter one from 1937 Lincoln Zephyr V12 was utilized.

    The job was performed by an outfit possibly called Ets. Vermeulen, located in Schaarbeek, near Brussels, Belgium. The front of the car received changes and different fenders, the rear fenders were altered by adding some sheet metal and sections of Lincoln fenders. The Englebert Magazine featured the photo of the car below in 1954.

    The “Englebert Magazine” featured the rebuilt car in 1954.
    By 1968, the car was no longer being used, and Martini decided to send it to a wrecking yard. After a time, the yard sold the car, and it changed hands numerous times thereafter. It was bought, sold, and used by a restaurant, a discotheque, and several used car dealers. After 25 years of trying to purchase it, Berkein finally succeeded in buying the car from the last used car dealer who owned it, but in a rather sad state. At that point it was minus its dorsal fin and Martini bottle, some of the interior fittings, the seats, and wheels.

    Berkein has been working at restoring the car to its former glory and is recreating the dorsal fin and the missing interior pieces. Hopefully, someday a period Isotta Fraschini chassis and engine will be found, and the body can be transferred on to it. We wish him well with the endeavor.
     
  2. 1961 Volvo B18 Coupé de Mola
    56852691_2383620928349663_1849676959362056192_n.jpg
    Edit story Vasileios Papaidis

    This is another one one-off creation from the Belgian with Italian origins brothers Umberto & Bruno De Mola. Umberto mostly liked to create special & unusual cars like no other in business. This one based on a Lancia Augusta chassis from 1934, the car was in Belgium when Umberto create a special body used a different mixes of styles for it. The mechanical components and engine taken from an Volvo B18 and the car was a very sporty and nice to drive. Belongs to the amazing Mahy collection in Belgium.

    Engine 1,196 cc Lancia V4
    Transmission 4-speed manual
    RWD
    RHD
     
  3. 1951 Ferrari 212 Export Fontana Giardinetta (#0086E)

    56340088_2380137958697960_8358185355073028096_n.jpg

    Third body on chassis #0086E From July to the end of 1951

    Chassis #0086E without body was made 2.02.1951 and sold to Vittorio Marzotto (the owner of Scuderia Marzotto). 17.03.1951 Carretto Siciliano body made by coachbuilder Paolo Fontana was mounted on chassis. 1.04.1951 Vittorio Marzotto and Paolo Fontana won Giro di Sicilia. In May-June 1951 the body was changed to Vignale Spyder, but in July it was replaced by Fontana Giardinetta body. At the end of 1951 - beginning of 1952 the body was changed again to Fontana Spyder body. During the Mille Miglia 1952 the car was crashed and burned, but was restored with other body parts. In August 1952 the last body was mounted on the chassis. It was redesigned Fontana Spyder, and it is exists nowadays.
     
  4. 1954 Lancia Marino 2500 Barchetta Sport
    55842707_2370355976342825_2084148793237831680_n.jpg
    Edit story Vasileios Papaidis
    A unique sportscar based on a Lancia Aurelia B20 engine elaborated by Marino Brandoli with WEBER DC4025 carburettors, tubular chassis from lightweight materials used in aeronautics. Rumored that the body (all from aluminum) designed from Giovanni Michelotti, but from my research his son Edgardo didn't confirm it as 100% GM design. Fuel tank 90lt, net weight 740kg.

    For over fifty years, the car has been, as they say "hanging on the nail" and in 2010 the son "Gigi" has restored it to make it participate in "historic" races.

    Lets start in 1953 when he builds the "Barchetta" and for the design calls his friend Giovanni Michelotti with the aim to market a small number of sports cars. Surprising results for the overall features the car won so first place in the first race of the "Aosta Gran San Bernardo".

    A device for the application engineer adopted by Marino the vehicle (subsequently replaced by the third butterfly vacuum to the carburetor - see Giulietta Spyder - was to bring the mouth of air inlet to the carburetor to the hand of the driver: by manually adjusting the valve by hand diffuser (with the variation of the altitude is necessary to vary the flow of intake air as not to reduce the numbers of evolutions of the engine) to adjust, through the ear sharp and sensitive of the pilot, the number of evolutions by minimizing the loss of power. In normal conditions of an uphill race power loss in those conditions can reach the order of 40%.

    With Dante Giacosa and Lucio Rapi Marino participates in the development of the project and the testing of the "Fiat 8 V" which took part in several races. Towards the end of summer 1953 Marino has the idea to develop two projects : for Formula 1 and Sports Cars. With some friends and collaborators, After the years Marino puts together all his ideas and experience of various projects many of them not mentioned (see page 2). The mission profile was basically defined as follows: build two cars with parts and components unified taking into account the differences of the two models, design with ability to produce in limited series, the possibility of updates (ex: change of type of engine), use materials fit and lighterweight, achieving a robust chassis designed to improve driver safety . (at that time, the linguistic terms and applications were not known, today.
    With the use of components (e.g bearings, seals,o-rings ) from the market or access to parts of the production car (after having verified the worthyness) in order to reduce design time, as well as to optimize acquisition costs including subsequent replacement used engines manufacturing base but with suitable characteristics for their evolution or transformation, of limited cost, robust and low maintenance for their interchangeability or substitution.The differential, gearbox and clutch had to be withdrawn from the market and made fit for use. For brakes had during the transition to the disk type but not yet adequately tested, for which it was provided to project the possibility to be applied subsequently (in particular in front). In regard to the suspension, although having been defined the general characteristics was left free will as long as they allow the cars to obtain the maximum reliability, and ease of handling capacity of adaptability to various different paths.

    Marino knew famous designers such as Iano, Fessia De Virgilio etc. of which he had great esteem and who were collaborating with “Lancia”. In” Marino team together with his cars he raced with several others such as B.20 which admired he decided to adopt the basic mechanics of knowing that the engine power in relation to competitiveness and development which presented itself was a weak point but he counted on getting the same engine of the Lancia D24. The decision to retire from racing by "Gianni Lancia and its board of directors" was not allowed to get the engines and all efforts were useless (They had seen the crushing of those in stock ).
    The choice of the designer is with the talented Giovanni Michelotti quickly realized that the project taking into account the possibility of adaptation of the mechanical changes, than accumulated over the years on issues aerodynamics, creating lines that will be attractive at the same time aggressive, elegant and worthy for use. In 1954 are designed and implemented the "Lancia Marino" and participate in the spring of the following races ran uphill, put themselves on the national circuit for the design and manufacturing skills. The cars run for two years. At the end of 1957 Marino Brandoli decides to retire from the sport and began working with a number of Italian and international companies that develop their own innovation activities also in the automotive industry and the year 1958 he founded a company with the mission to design and produce components for automotive safety.

    Luigi Brandoli-LanciaMarino
     
  5. Interesting that this is RHD
     
  6. 1959 Porsche 550 Durlite
    DrEYgGhWoAAE0Se.jpg
    Inspired by the success of the Porsche-based Glockler specials of the early 1950s, Porsche set out to construct the company's first proper racing car. Although stripped out competition versions of the VW based 356 had proven moderately successful, the team in Zuffenhausen agreed that a more specialized machine was required to continue their racing success. Despite the limited funds and time available, two separate programs were initiated at the factory. Ernst Fuhrmann was in charge of designing a competition engine (project 547) and Wilhelm Hild headed the development of a new chassis (project 550).There were only a few months available for Hild's team to construct the new racer for its scheduled debut in the 1953 24 Hours of Le Mans. The design was very similar to the mid-engined Glockler, which was equipped with a modified 356 drivetrain reversed with the engine between the driver and the rear axle. A simple steel tube ladder frame was created with six cross members. The front and rear suspension were similar to the production Porsches with some small revisions to handle the expected higher load. The brakes and wheels were also sourced from the 356.

    Two chassis were constructed, but with Fuhrmann not ready yet, a 356 1500 Super engine was fitted. Close to 100 bhp could be produced by the engine when fueled by alcohol at running a very high compression. For the 550 a compression of 9.0:1 was chosen for reliability reasons, which was still enough for 78 bhp. Equipped with a Roadster body the first 550 debuted in the Eiffel Races at the Nurburgring. Although troubled by a failing carburetor and very poor weather, Glockler piloted Porsche's first racing car to a debut victory, despite strong opposition from EMW and Borgward.

    Porsche went on to enter two cars at Le Mans. Like the second car, the Nurburgring winner was fitted with a coupe body that was expected to be better suited to the high speed track. The 1.100 - 1.500cc class competition was easily beaten without really stressing the cars and at the end of the race both cars had covered an identical distance and finished 15th and 16th overall. The organizers eventually awarded the class victory to the Richard Frankenberg and Paul Frere driven 550-02. After Le Mans, the cars were raced twice again in German events, with Hans Hermann scoring another win in 550-02.

    In the meantime Ernst Fuhrmann's all-new engine was taking shape in the Zuffenhausen workshop. He was told to stay within the 1.500cc limit and to get the most out of the small displacement he felt overhead camshafts were the way to go. Compared to the OHV engine found in the 356 road cars, the new 547-engine had a larger bore and shorter stroke to displace 1.498cc. Each set of two cylinders was equipped with two overhead camshafts, driven by shafts instead of the more traditional chains or belts. A similar design was used for the flat-12 engine Fuhrmann had previously designed for the Cisitalia Grand Prix engine.
    A third 550 chassis was constructed with a more refined tubular frame, ready to accept the new engine. Erwin Komenda was commissioned to design a new roadster body that vaguely reflected the original 550's body, but like the chassis it was much more refined. The complete package was first seen in public at the 1953 Hockenheim Grand Prix where Hans Hermann put in some practice laps, but could not yet match the speeds of the 550 Coupe, which he drove to a victory in the race. A week later Hans Stuck drove the 4-cam roadster to a third place in a hillclimb. At both events Porsche was reluctant to open the rear deck and reveal their all-new engine design.

    A month later Porsche used the Paris Motorshow to not only showcase Fuhrmann's new engine, but also to announce the production of the 550 RS Spyder. It would be available in 1954 as a race-ready car for privateers. The show car was the fifth 550 constructed and featured various amenities like a full width windscreen complete with wipers, a lockable glove compartment, two seats and a convertible top. Before the 550 RS Spyder was actually deemed production ready, many more minor modifications to the engine and chassis were carried through.

    Back on the track the 4-cam engine had shown potential, but the peaky power delivery required some fine tune. Meanwhile, the two Coupes were prepared for the Carrera Panamericana race for two South American customers. Complete with bright sponsor stickers, the two Coupes again dominated the 1.500cc class. Jaroslav Juhan's 550-01 was the faster of the two, but his retirement left the victory for Jose Herrarte's 550-02. A year later a 4-cam 550 Spyder (550-04) matched Herrarte's class winning performance and placed third overall. Soon after, the 'Carrera' name was adopted for 356 models equipped with the Fuhrmann engine.

    Although the 550 Spyder had been announced as a production model late in 1953, Porsche spent most of 1954 finalizing the customer car's specification. On the track there was now little stopping the agile racer in its class and even larger engined competition was not safe. At the end of the year the production cars finally became available turning many privateers into race winners. A sad side note in the 550 Spyder's history was James Dean's fatal accident in 1955, which ironically only helped to further build the car's legendary status.With over 70 examples produced the 550 RS Spyder was not just a big success on the track. The Porsche works team replaced the 550 for 1956 with the much improved 550A. Although it looked similar to the earlier version, the new 550 featured an advanced spaceframe chassis and packed the latest 135 bhp version of the type-547 engine. The 550A RS Spyder continued where Porsche's first racing car had left off and formed the basis of the company's sports cars for another five years to come. With the 550 RS Spyder Porsche started a process that would eventually develop into many Le Mans winning vehicles like the 917 and 956.

    Specific history of this car: We are glad to present for sale this unique 550 Spyder reaped from a crash back in 1958. Created the following year by contemporary American aeroplane aerodynamicists Durlite from a wrecked Porsche 550, the streamlined nose gave the Spyder a 10-year head start on its contemporaries. Owner Bob Webb was obsessed with airflow, so he had Durlite create a cheese-wedge bodyshell with snipped-off Kamm tail that not only looked far more dramatic than the existing 550 Spyder, it also produced far less frontal lift – though that was only quantified half a century later in a rival manufacturer’s wind tunnel. Bob Webb was well known in the USA and went on to create another Durlite-bodied car with a Chevrolet engine, and built other Chevvy specials, though not with Durlite bodies.

    Bob Webb was a keen SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) racer, but crashed the Porsche on its maiden outing. He’d previously had Durlite fabricate a special-bodied sports-racer known as the Durlite Mk 1, which competed in SCCA events between 1956 and 1958, running a standard 1500 Porsche engine, so he had a fair idea of what he wanted to achieve when he set about rebuilding the crashed 550 Spyder. Rather than buy new parts to restore the Porsche to its original format, he obtained the company’s permission to take an experimental route, reconstructing it using as much componentry as could be saved from the crashed car and fabricating the rest. He even went on to install a 1600 RSK motor. But it’s the bodywork that brings about the aesthetic and aerodynamic transformation. If the cowl over the inlet trumpets is ahead of its time - a harbinger of Porsche’s 1962 F2 car and the RS61 sports-racer from 1963, the nosecone looks more like a Lola T2120 or Chevron B19 from 1971, which is a staggeringly precocious makeover. The closest that Porsche itself came to such a shallow wedge shape was the 908/3 from 1971. The Durlite Spyder’s admittedly cruder cropped back end clads a revised spaceframe that carries the engine and rear suspension and predates the 906’s Kamm-tail by six years, and it’s pierced by air vents that prefigure the Ferrari 250P prototype from 1963.

    The wheels, brakes, front suspension are all from the 550 racer. Its Dunlop racing tyres are 500L-15 on the front and 550L-15 at the rear. While the big drum brakes are standard-issue ’50s items, it’s now equipped with modern pipes and fluid reservoir.

    Although powered by an RSK motor after Bob Webb’s restoration, the Durlite Spyder runs with a more reliable 356-engine today. It has the roller bearing crank, and the driveshafts are free-floating, which means it uses universal joints. The rear subframe is bolted on to make engine changes easier, because it is immensely difficult to install or extract the engine, but with this subframe it is much easier. Most prominent ancillary is the gearbox oilcooler which runs across the top of the gearbox. The gear ratios are the same for the period, though Porsche made a lot of changes at that time, especially for Le Mans with its long straights. The engine, especially the 1500 4-cam unit, has a very small rev range, effectively between 6000rpm and 8000rpm, so gearing was crucial.

    The ducts in the nose are for cooling the front brakes, and the raised section of the engine cover is designed to allow maximum air supply to the carburettors. The lips of the rear wheelarches are flipped out to avoid cutting the tyres while cornering. The bodywork always was unpainted bare aluminium, and the fixings are all period fasteners. Up front, there’s a very small subframe in the nose of the car and the air intake for the oil radiator is situated here, while brake ducts channel air straight onto the drums. It’s all very neat, yet actually very simple. The headlights are unrelated to the 550 but do the job, and the steering wheel, mirrors, switchgear and instrumentation are suitable period items.
     

Share This Page