Strange/Rare car profiles-identifies threat

Discussion in 'Car Pictures' started by Vasileios Papaidis, Nov 1, 2013.

  1. 1999 O.S.C.A. 2500GT Dromos

    The latest Italian dream car was recently unveiled in Italy. Not at a motor show, as is usually the case, nor on some special occasion. Simply on December the 10th at the "Le Robinie" Golf Club in Soibiate Olona (Varese).
    Very unusual and very romantic indeed. It is romantic because the venue selected for the unveiling is the birth place of the designer who has always dreamt of creating the sports car of his life, the renowned and much expected Ercole Spada.

    The choice for the venue also reflected many characters of personalities behind the sports car, which could well be the story subject of a movie full of passion and drama, a true love story. The place, between Milano and Brianza, is the same where the Zagato dynasty has grown and is still active, where Spada grew up and made his debut as a car designer, where Touring used to build their "Superleggera" body works for famous makers, including Ferrari and Lamborghini, where the mythical Isotta Fraschini were created by skilled craftsmen in the first half of the century.
    The story-board also include the exotic touch with an enthusiast Japanese promoter.

    The project, supported and financed by Japanese investor Shozo Fujita, has taken several years to get through. Conceived, designed and engineered by Spada with contributions of past Abarth engineer Mario Colucci, the prototype has been executed by GMP Automobili under Luca Zagato's directions.
    The fate of names like Bugatti and Cizeta, just to mention the most recent Italian cases, had not turned the passion for glorious names and new cars down. Actually there are still a lot of people around who keep dreaming of creating a new automobile to associate their names with.
    Designer Ercole Spada is one of them who strongly wanted to create the car from a white paper and through the years has fought against all sort of difficulties to make his dream come true.

    The latest difficulty of them all, who took several months to overcome, was actually the brand name for the latest Italian sports car. The Japanese promoter wanted a well established and renowned name. He settled eventually for O.S.C.A. but in the process also managed to put more famous names to the car, including Touring and Superleggera, ending up creating some confusion that one day will have to be resolved.

    Now, the compact and light two seater sport car comes with the names of 2500 GT and/or Dromos and it carries a number of historical badges such as OSCA (at the front), Touring Superleggera (at the back) in addition to that of its designer "Espada" (on the side).
    We have time for that, as well as for the project story, as its development continues. Today we ought to focus on the car itself.

    The name after all is just a way to set apart this very Italian sports car that is the most consequent achievement of a very clear vision of what a modern sport car must be: compact, light, individual, exotic, performing, entertaining, rewarding, affordable. Look at the pictures and you can't but agree that this car has what it takes to deserve the title of a true Italian sports car. You can't call its shape the purest in the world but so were the early sports cars produced by Ferrari, Maserati, Osca and many other small Italian firms.
    This is why it has a strong character and a clear cut personality of its own. It is not just another sport car like many other ones.


    The name "Dromos", Spada wanted the car to be called after, has disappeared at the 11th hour from the press release and replaced by "2500 GT" because if was found that Fiat had registered the name of Dromo four years earlier and Luca Zagato, manager of G.M.P., did not want to be confronted with a controversy with the Italian giant. He has had enough experience with the company's executives.
    Whatever the name, what really matters is that the car comes with an excellent design, showing great care for proportions and style as well as for every detail. It is the job of experience professionals and it shows, even though the car has not been tested yet in the wind tunnel.

    It all starts front the fundamentals: the right package. Mechanical and cabin have been laid down with expertise: the 2.5-litre, aspirated, 16 valves, four cylinder, flat-four "boxer" engine from Subaru is inboard ahead of the rear axle with the gearbox located behind the differential and thus outside of the rear axle to optimise weight distribution between front and rear. The cabin is somewhat forward, ahead of the engine bay, with the rear screen actually covering the engine.
    The weight distribution is in the area of 45/55, front and rear. The tracks are 1540 mm on both axles and the splendid magnesium 7 x 16 inches wheels are shod with fat 225/50 tyres.

    The cockpit is perfectly sorted out. Despite the relatively short wheelbase, 2350mm. long, there is plenty of comfortable room inside the cabin. This has actually been designed around the driver and passenger, as the distinctive shape of the car clearly suggests. Seats wrap around and look gorgeous. The dashboard turn from half a circle in front of the driver to grant him full control of all the instruments and gauges he must or wishes to check and operate. The gearshift lever literally falls in the driver's hand and the hand-brake is beautifully integrated into the central tunnel. The steering wheel is adjustable for reach and rake so that each driver can easily make for his ideal driving position..
    Inside the cabin the whole treatment is what one has the right to expect from a sports car and yell "drive me". Nobody has driven the car yet, even though the prototype is virtually ready for that.

    The body is carried by a frame made of aluminium box sections, with race-type double wishbone and anti-dive geometry suspensions. These are complemented by anti-roll bars and the setting is tuned to deliver superior handling with a fair degree of riding comfort. The steering is a power-assisted rack and pinion.
    The braking system banks on a powerful disc brakes, self ventilated all-round and without ABS. Given the prototype stage and the limited number anticipated for production, scale of economy do not allow for ABS and all sort of sophisticated electronics. This has suggested the promoters to state: "There are no electronic gizmos - no digital instruments or other fanciful gad-gets which distract from the art of fast driving. The car imparts the immediate sensa-tion that it is the driver who is in total control of this vehicle, not the other way round ".
    We can't wait for the opportunity to test drive it on the road to the Stelvio Pass in a sunny day, perhaps in Spring 1999.
    The new sports car, that is meant to be produced at the rate of some 100 cars per year, starting as soon as the type-approval process has been completed.
    Who, where and when production will actually start, and at which price the car will go on sale, are questions the fathers of the project will be trying to answer in the next months. Whether they will actually find the right answers remains to be seen.
     

    Attached Files:

  2. I remember that one and still think it's awesome
     
  3. 1966 Nissan A680X prototype

    Nissan had just seen the Prince Motor Company win Japan's most prestigious race, the Japanese Grand Prix, using their Prince R380 race car. Nissan had done well in the race, comfortably winning in the class they had entered, but in the race to outright victory Prince had comprehensively beaten them.
    Other Japanese cars makers had watched in envy as Prince ran away with all the glory, not to mention the priceless publicity value of seeing a Prince beat every other Japanese car maker, AND a Porsche 906 as well. Suddenly all the Japanese cars makers were looking to build purpose-built racing prototypes. Hino were hard at work developing their Hino Contessa GT prototype, which was a rear engined coupe with a fibreglass body. It's mechanicals were based on the production Contessa coupe, but after seeing Prince develop a twin cam cylinder head for their racer they decided to do the same, and came up with a twin cam head for the Contessa engine. Over at Daihatsu they were working on their Daihatsu P3 prototype, which wa an odd looking contraption that was based in the chassis of the Compagno. It too had a specially designed twin cam head to sit on it's 1300cc block. It went quite well and came first in it's class in the 1966 Japanese Grand Prix and an impressive seventh outright. Toyota were about to get serious about racing as well, and they were preparing a race version of the Toyota 2000GT, which was actually designed and built for them by Yamaha.
    With all this activity going in in the opposition camps it was no wonder that Nissan decided that they too needed a racing prototype. Like the others, Nissan knew little about building a racing prototype. Prince had acknowledged their own lack of experience in racing chassis design and instead decided to purchase a Brabham BT8 chassis on which to base their car, which was hugely successful for them. Nissan instead decided to stick with what they knew and instead based their car, which was to be known as the Nissan A680X, on the chassis of the Datsun Fairlady sports car. The Fairlady had a great chassis with excellent torsional strength, though in reality it was no match for a Brabham space frame chassis.
    Much of the design work was carried out by a Nissan engineer called Noguchi Takashi. When designing the body he called on the help of a Nissan designer called Kazuo Kimura, who had come up with the concept for the Nissan Silvia, and had helped design the car. Aerodynamic testing was pretty primative back then and there were no wind tunnels. Takashi and Kimura instead used hydraulic testing, which sounds impressive but actually only involved pushing scale models through the water to gauge resistance. The end result ended up looking like one of those Alpha kit cars that you add to a Datsun 240Z to make it look like a Ferrari 250GTO. The body of the A680X would be constructed entirely of fibreglass.
    Meanwhile, outside help had been called upon for the engine, and the engine was going to be something quite radical. Yamaha in the 1960s, and even still today, do a lot of engineering consultance work for other companies. Nissan had used their services in the past, with Yamaha doing anything from little jobs like designing the soft top frame for the Datsun Fairlady right up to complex things like building the Nissan Silvia prototype. At the time Yamaha were hard at work designing a new overhead cam six cylinder engine for Nissan, which would be used in the next generation Nissan Cedric. The engine they were working on would be known as the L20, and later versions of this engine would power most of Nissan's range for the next two decades. Nissan asked Yamaha to develop a twin cam cylinder head that could be adapted to the L20 engine for their race car, and the resulting engine was called the Nissan B680X.
    The B680X engine was a 1998cc double overhead cam, four valve per cylinder engine with three 42DCOE Weber carburettors, two spark plugs per cylinder and two distributors. The engine produced an impressive 190hp at 6400rpm, though was still short of the 200hp the Prince R380 had. Details about the twin distributor set-up are sketchy, but from what I understand it was some sort of attempt at a crude variable timing design.
    The car was ready for testing by early 1966. At the Fuji Speedway the car clocked the full 6km version of the circuit in two minutes and eight seconds. The promising thing was that this was a full two seconds faster than Toyota had managed to achieve with their new 2000GT, the bad news was that this was still three seconds off the pace of the Prince R380. Nissan continued to develop the car until it was announced that the Nissan Motor Company and their rivals at the Prince Motor Company were going to merge. It made no sense to continue developing a car that was clearly slower than the Prince R380, especially when the Prince name was about to be dropped and the R380 was soon to be wearing Nissan badges.
    Nissan still found themselves with a rather potent engine that was sitting in a Fairlady chassis. Rather than let this go to waste the engine was fitted to a Fairlady race car that was to be known as the Fairlady S. This car only raced once and was never seen again.

    Engine Specifications
    Model - B680X
    DOHC 6 Cylinder
    Capacity - 1998cc
    Bore & Stroke - 78x69.7mm
    Power - [email protected]
    Torque - unknown
    Carburettors - triple 42DCOE Weber
     

    Attached Files:

  4. 1967 Nissan R380-II

    In 1966 the Prince Motor Company merged with the Nissan Motor Company. From that moment on the Prince name would no longer be used. Prince designers and engineers would continue to operate seperately within Nissan, continuing on with their own projects, but from 1966 on all the old Prince vehicles would be known as Nissans. Including the Prince R380 race car program.

    The previous Prince R380 had been very successful, it had done what it had set out to do, which was to win the Japanese Grand Prix outright, and along the way it set several speed records as well. For the 1967 Japanese Grand Prix many changes were made to the car, and the new car would be known as the Nissan R380-II.
    The body of the R380-II was completely changed from that of the old R380. Again it was fitted with light weight alloy panelwork, but the new model was a much sleeker and vastly more attractive vehicle than before. With it's flowing lines it's new body looked more like a contemporary McLaren rather than a Porsche.
    Some mechanical modifications were made to the engine as well. It continued to the the old Prince GR-8 engine from the R380, though it's cam covers now said Nissan instead of Prince. The triple Weber carburettors were removed and replaced with a mechanical fuel injection system. The compression ratio was also increased from 11:1 to 11.9:1, all of which increased it output from 200hp to 220hp.
    Again a four car team of cars was entered in the Japanese Grand Prix, but this time they were up against three Porsche 906 Carrara 6s. This time out it didn't end as well for the team, with a Porsche winning and the R380-IIs coming in second, third, fourth and sixth.

    They decided to take the car back to the Yatabe Test Track again to see if they could beat some of the records set by the previous Prince R380. The Nissan R380-II went on to beat the Japanese speed record and the world E-class records set by the previous model. It covered 50km at an average speed of 266.75kph, it covered 100km at an average of 264.57kph and it covered 200km at an average speed of 261.88kph. It also set the record for the greatest distance covered in an hour, which was 259.98km.

    The speed record car was restored by Nismo in 2005, and is regularly displayed at Nismo and Nissan events. The R380-II was replaced by the Nissan R381 in 1968, which had a rather unusual engine of a Japanese car.

    1967 Nissan R380-II Specifications
    Length - 4080mm
    Width - 1580mm
    Height - 965mm
    Wheelbase - 2360mm
    Weight - 660kg
    Transmission - ZF 5 speed Floor change

    Engine Specifications
    Model - GR-8
    DOHC 6 Cylinder
    Capacity - 1996cc
    Bore & Stroke - 82x63mm
    Power - [email protected]
    Compression - 11.9 : 1
    Fuel system - mechanical fuel injection
     

    Attached Files:

  5. For Supercars.net admins & Richard Michael Owen
    In 2014 Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance foto album I see this race car with no infos!
    This is Kircher Special from 1953.

    1953 Kircher Special
    Physicist Charles Hughes and automotive engineer Kurt Kirch built the Hughes-Kirch Special in Colorado in the early 1950s. The alloy body was designed by Charles Lyon, who used a two-piece construction method to allow for easy access the mechanical components when the top piece was removed. In the front was a large grille fitted with two headlights. The side exhaust pipes exited the bodywork just behind the front wheels.

    German born Kircher was a test driver for BMW and Alfa Romeo before coming to the U.S. in 1949. Originally the car used a Jaguar XK-120 engine and Kircher won the Fort Sumner feature in September 1954.

    The car had a ladder frame that was constructed from chrome-moly tubing, a rack-and-pinion setup sourced from an MG, and independent front suspension, and a deDion unit in the back. The car had Alfin drum brakes and was powered by a six-cylinder double overhead camshaft Jaguar engine that displaced 3.4 liters. With the help of three SU carburetors, the engine offered 250 horsepower and gave the car a top speed over 150 mph.

    In 1954, at Fort Sumner, the car won its inaugural race,raced by Danny Collins and followed by another victory at the Los Almos Hillclimb. Several other podium finishes were achieved before the close of the year. 1955 was not as successful, as a new breed of racing machines were being fielded by several competitive automakers. In an attempt to stay competitive, the engine was replaced with a Mercedes-Benz 300SL factory race engine.
     

    Attached Files:

  6. Awesome stuff. Keep it up!
     
  7. 1946 - 1948 Volugrafo Bimbo (Italy)

    Volugrafo's success in the market with their small engine capacity motorcycles allowed them in 1948 to produce a small Bimbo type car made with an aerodynamic aluminum body. The production of the lite 125 kg car with a 125cc engine and 3-speed manual gearbox ceased in 1948.

    Development
    The engineer and race driver Belmondo developed the Volugrafo Bimbo vehicle, which was introduced in November 1945 and produced through early 1946. Production ended in 1948 after about 60 copies total.

    Chassis
    A supporting metal frame formed the chassis with an extremely narrow track of only 78 cm. A differential was not needed and the front wheels were out on a parallelogram, and the steering was transmitted by a large chain.

    Body
    The vehicle had an open, door-less body with a bench and room enough to have two people sitting next to each other. The steering wheel was in the vehicles center. The vehicle has a length of only 2.4 meters and a height of only 90 centimeters. There is a thin fabric top without side panels for weather protection.

    Technology
    It was powered by an air-cooled cylinder engine with 125 cc and 5 Hp, which was installed in front left rear wheel and a chain at the left rear drive. There was also a sports version using an additional installed engine of the same size on the right rear, to the drive the right rear wheel.

    Surving vehicles
    At least two vehicles have survived to this day, they are at the Musée Communal de l'Automobile in Mahymobiles Leuze-en-Hainaut and in the Museo Ford Gratton in Farra d'Isonzo (Italy). In the photos you can see small differences between the two vehicles, for example, the front decoration, the exterior mirrors and the roof.
     

    Attached Files:

  8.  
  9. Ermini FIAT Siluro 1100cc

    Early successes and the national title 1949-1951
    In 1949, Ermini entered three cars in the Mille Miglia, the cars were too fast (they went in top with Bormioli and Montanari) but they had to withdrew due to breaking of the valve's screw adjustment.
    The problem was solved with the help of engineer Alberto Massimino.
    During the Sport season, Ermini's car won with Sbraci's Grand Sport Prix the Firenze-Fiesole , The Collina Pistoiese Cup, the prestigious 3° place overall/ 1° in class at the Napoli Grand Prix, the 4° overall/ 1° in class at the Dolomiti Golden Cup and overall victory at the Toscana's Cup with the Torpedo Ermini of Bormioli.
    These placements allowed the Venetian pilot to be ranked at the 4th place in the Sport class 1100's Italian league.
    During the year 1949 they obtained a lot of success and request to purchase the Ermini engines with Fiat crank-case increased. (They developed 82CV at 6200g/m).
    During the season '49- '50 the Ermini Company constructed about 10 engines which were installed in different gentlemen's racing cars (Fiat-Stanguellini, Fiat-1100S, Fiat-Leone, Fiat-Petrini, SVA, Tinarelli etc...) replacing the less powerful engine.
    It was the variety and the number of vehicles that replaced with the Fiat-Ermini engine that created confusion during research and historical cataloging of Florentine cars (often the construction of the entire car was wrongly attributed to the Florentine workshop so a lot of cars that were equipped with FIAT-ERMINI engine (like some Fiat-Stanguellini 1100 sport) never given the right motor classification which contributed to the success of those not so fast cars equipped with Fiat 1100 engine.
    In 1950 Ermini encouraged by good results and the economic income, he commission to Glico in Milan a tubular chassis with an oval section to make its cars more competitive.
    In that year he prepared three cars: two Torpedos and a Berlinetta, their bodys were built by Motto Torino.
    In 1950 CSAI new rules imposed the use of 80 octane petrol thus undermining the competition of Cisitalia-Abarth and the Fiat-Stanguellini, which until the previous year had used special alcohol mixture to enhance their engines and now couldn't compete to the power of Fiat-Ermini engine.
    The results will come soon and over the prestigious affirming of the Fiat-Ermini engine at the Mille Miglia (11°place/13° overall in class) with Montanari and Cappelli at the Umbria tour (2°placeoverall in class) with Montanari, during the Collina Pistoiese's Cup they won with Tergi, and they obtained the victory in class during the Susa-Moncenisio with the touring driver Ugo Puma.
    The year triumphantly ended with the conquest of the Italian 1100 Sport Championship with Piero Scotti who won in class the Targa Florio and the Toscana's Cup.
    By the end of the year 6 engines were sold and in 1951 three cars were built equipped by Tubular Glico chassis Torpedo shape. Two of these were bodied by Motto Torino and the other was bodied by the Mariani workshop in Pistoia.
     

    Attached Files:

  10. 1939 Doug Rice's Ford Custom Coupe (Bonnevile Salt Flats)

    1939 Ford Coupe owned and restyled by Clusters of Grays Harbor member Doug Rice of Aberdeen, Washington. Doug did all of the work on the car himself, and the build was started while he was in the Navy, on a submarine in Hawaii. He bought the car around 1948, and began to modify it shortly after he got it. Doug built the first engine in the Navy yard workshop. He started by relieving the block. It was going to take a lot of grinding, so Doug started with a chisel til he was close enough to finish it off with a grinder.

    After four years in the service, Doug was discharged from the Navy in 1951. The coupe was shipped from Pearl Harbor to San Francisco, California. He then drove the coupe to Aberdeen, where he continued to work on it.Back home, Doug channeled the body about 5 1/2 inches. The channeling was easily done by just torching out a 1/8" steel plate to the contour of the frame. The steel plate was bolted onto the bottom frame flange with a rubber gasket to avoid noise, before the floor was torched open and the body dropped on to the steel plates. Doug kept the front fenders, grill and radiator in the stock position on the frame. The front fender openings were cut to match the curve of the tires and the openings were re-rolled by hand. Using a pencil tied to a string and the hubs as pivots, Doug plotted the new front wheel openings. A 1/4" rod was welded all around the opening for strength. After the body had been channeled over the frame, the rear fender had to be raised. This was done by maintaining the last bolt at the rear in its original position and by pivoting the front of the fenders up the desired amount, necessary to clear the 8.20x15 tires Doug ran. Doug felt that the rear fenders didn't look right when they were raised on the body, so he moved them out from the body as well by adding a two inch section of metal to their inner edges. This was done by torching off the stock fenders, leaving the mounting rim in the new position still on the car. Then another fender was welded to the rim. An extension was welded to the bottom of the front to maintain the original body line.

    By doing this, Doug increased the width of the car by approximately 4 inches. After the body was channeled, Doug had to section the hood, firewall and the small front quarter panel. In the same operation, the hood seam was filled. The side chrome strip on the hood had to be shortened due to the raised fenders.All body work was acetylene torch hammer welded before Doug went over with a pick hammer and a vixen file. Lead was added where needed and followed by more vixen fileing. According to Doug, no "spot putty" bondo was used, as that was a "no no" at the time. The front was lowered by installing a dropped axle and by turning the front main leaf of the spring upside down. By simply turning the main leaf upside down, Doug didn't have to re-roll the eyes.

    The rear was not lowered by kicking up the frame, as a featured story on the car in Rod & Custom December 1953 stated. The rear end lowering was accomplished by reversing the main leaf, as done in front, and by installing longer shackles. Doug drove the first version of the car to the 1952 Bonneville Nationals. This version featured a channeled body and an unchopped top. Doug drove down with a semi race cam, as the Harman & Collins camshaft he intended to race had not arrived yet. When he arrived, he went over to Salt Lake City where he found a Weber F4 Dirt Cam. The swap found place in an alley behind a service station. Running the Weber cam and a Roemer distributor, Doug made a 120.68 mph run with the coupe on Bonneville in 1952. The coupe was Doug's only transportation, and he drove it every day during the rebuild. Home from work friday night, and back to work monday, even while he was channeling the body and chopping the top.Every time there was a drag, at Aberdeen, Shelton, Bremerton, Arlington or Scappoose, Doug attended with the coupe.

    After returning from Bonneville in 1952, Doug restyled the coupe further. The top was chopped 3 inches at the front, and 4 1/2 inches at the rear. During the chop, the stock split rear window was replaced by a single piece rear window from a 1942 Ford.
    1940 Ford doors were also installed in order to get the wing windows not used on the 1939 Ford. Doug bought a totaled '40 for its doors, rear window and other parts. The top rear door-corners were rounded to soften the "line" look. As Doug hated the "squinty" look of the "normal" chopped top, he decided to shorten the quarter windows during the chop.[3] The deck lid was filled, and Doug installed 1937 DeSoto bumpers on the car. The rear lights on the car were removed and relocated to the bumper guards. The rear fender openings had a section welded in at the top part so the stock fenderskirts would cover the opening. After the top had been chopped, the seat springs were arched over the driveline to lower the seat springs to the floor. After the second restyling, Doug ran the car without a hood for a while. The car was still his only transportation, and he drove it every day.

    In 1953 Doug's coupe was featured in Rod & Custom December 1953. The story was made at the 1953 Bonneville Nationals where Doug's coupe turned in a top time of 126.58 mph running on methanol and 25% nitroglycerin in the "C" coupe class.As Doug wanted his custom to go fast on the salt flats, he equipped it with a Halibrand quick change rear end center section before he returned to Bonneville for the 1953 meet. In order to accommodate the Halibrand center section, an arched Model A spring was used along with an adjustable spring perch crossmember that Doug built and installed.
    During the long haul from Aberdeen to Bonneville the howl from the straight-cut gears made Doug wonder if the rear end was broken. Doug's coupe was powered by a 296 cu. in. flathead Ford V8 that he had crammed inside the reduced engine compartment. The block was bored, ported and relieved ,and the crank was stroked 3/8" over stock. Heads and the four carburetor manifold were made by Edelbrock. The carburetors were Stromberg 97s. Harman & Collins provided magneto ignition and a Sportsman grind crankshaft. Doug made the headers from scratch. Inside, Stewart-Warner gauges recorded all activities of the engine. The gauges were placed inside a reworked 1940 Ford dash panel that came from Doug's donor car. The steering wheel was taken from a newer Ford.

    In 1954 Doug returned to Utah for the Bonneville Nationals. By then the car had been painted Tahitian Red. Doug spent a full night shift sanding the car before he had to get paint on it and assemble all of the chrome hardware. After the coupe had been stripped down to bare metal, Doug brought it over to Paul McGill for primer. Doug intended to take his sweetheart Janet to the 1954 meet. Janet's mother told Janet she could not go with him unless they got married, so Doug and Janet tied the knot practically as they left for Bonneville by the way of Los Angeles for upholstery. Doug had already written Bill Gaylord and sent him drawings of what he wanted done in the car. According to the magazines, Gaylord's was the #1 upholstery shop at the time, so that was why Doug choose Gaylord to do his upholstery.
    Doug and Janet had a hotel about a block or so from Gaylord's shop. About 7:30 in the morning someone pounded on their hotel door yelling "Hey, what color you want the upholstery in this car?" Doug yelled back, "Go away! This is my honeymoon". It turned out that Bill had lost Doug's drawings, so they had to figure it all out again. Gaylord fit Doug's coupe with a red and white pleated and rolled Naugahyde interior. While the coupe was at Gaylord's shop, Doug and Janet bought a Barris Kustoms built 1932 Ford roadster from a guy in Los Angeles. Janet had a near-new Chevrolet at the time, but they decided to sell it and buy a '32 while they were in California. As the roadster had no top, Doug had Gaylord make a top for the roadster as well. The roadster had run at El Mirage at 131 mph, and it had no fuel pump.

    As you drove and power fell off, you had to use the hand pump. On the way over, when Doug got tired of following a slow driver, he decided to pass, and Janet had better to get on the gas too in order not to loose Doug out of sight. At the Bonneville Nationals, Doug's coupe gained the attention of the Hot Rod Magazine crew who featured the car in their December 1954 issue. In the story, the car was called the "Bonneville Boomer", a name that stuck to the car. The coupe turned only 121.45 at Bonneville in 1954. Doug and Janet knew they weren't going to break any records, so they were aiming for the best-appearing car and crew. Before they left, Janet's mother sewed up some shirts to match the car and the brand new upholstery. Even though they looked very good, the that award went to one of the bigger teams as well. In addition to the new upholstery and paint job, Doug had removed the bumper guards and overrider from the rear bumper on this version of the car. The taillights were now integrated into the rear bumper.

    After Doug had integrated the taillights into the rear bumper, the cops told him his lights were too low, so Doug installed the tail and stoplight in the rear window instead. Doug may have had the first ever tail and stoplight in the rear window, and he got away with one light legally because the 39 was first sold in 1938, when one light was ok, and the title listed the car as a 1938 model. Returning to Washington from Bonneville, Doug towed the roadster behind the coupe. Near Boise, Idaho the engine in the coupe started making a hell of a noise. It turned out that the crankshaft had broke. Doug figured they could push the the coupe with the roadster into town. It went a lot better than they had expected, so they decided to push the coupe all the way to Aberdeen. Janet had no radio or steering in the roadster, only gas and brakes. Doug in the coupe had radio, windows, steering and brakes. Doug remembers that they got strange looks when they stopped for gas and filled up the back car.

    Doug continued to drag the coupe, and he even returned to Bonneville for the 1955 meet. In 1956 the coupe was shown at the 2nd annual Portland Roadster Show, by then Doug had painted it black.
    Later on in 1956, Doug's coupe was voted as one of the ten best customs in Trend Book 122 Custom Cars 1956 Annual. As time went on, the coupe fit Doug and Janet's new life on their horse farm less by the day. They started going to horse shows every weekend, and Doug built a two-horse trailer that they would tow with the coupe. It was Doug's only car, and it started to get real used up. At a car show in the Aberdeen armory a guy came from Bellevue and bought the coupe for around $700 as Doug recalls.According to Don Richardson, who bought the coupe in 1983, a machinist named Roy McKutcheon was the new owner of the car. Roy put running boards on the copue, painted it yellow, and reportedly drove it for another dozen years.

    In 1977 a friend of Dick Salick of Aberdeen, Washington bought Doug's old coupe from a man in Lynwood, Washington. Dick helped the friend tow the old custom back home to Aberdeen. At the time, the coupe was still yellow. Later on Terry Boyer of Montesano bought the car from Dick's friend.Terry lived lived just around the corner from Doug Rice. The car was very rusty when Terry got it, so he had it chemically dipped. After the car had been dipped, Terry hired metal-shaper Al Swedberg to put the car right. As Terry's lost interest in the car, the old custom ended up in his cousins basement.
    In 1983, Don Richardson of Richardson Custom Auto Body in Hoquiam, Washington purchased the coupe from Terry. The car was basically a pile of parts when Don bought it.Eric Perkins helped Don load up the car and put it back together again. A few things had gone missing over the years, like the garnish moldings and the DeSoto bumpers. Luckily, a local guy had a pair of bumpers that he almost gave Don as he knew they were going on the historic coupe.

    The taillights were recreated by filling the ribbed profile into red acrylic sheet. At the time, old flatheads had a bad reputation amongst the hot rodders, so Don decided to install a 350 engine from a 1981 Chevrolet truck, along with a Turbo 350 from a 1977 Chevrolet Chevelle in the coupe. He also used the driveshaft from the Chevelle, who funny enough bolted right on. During the restoration, Don replaced the front fenders. The wheel openings on the new fenders were not cut up the way Doug had done it when he built the car. Don's version of the car was also lower in the front than Doug's version. Holcomb Upholstery of Aberdeen trimmed the car up closely to Gaylord's pattern.Two years were spent restoring the coupe back to the way it appeared in 1954, and in 1985, the restored version of the coupe made its debut at the annual Salem NHRA event.
    In a letter to Street Rodder magazine in 1986 Doug wrote that he regret that he sold the car.Even though Don lived only about 10 miles from Doug, the two didn't know eachother. Don first visited Doug when he worked at Smith and Losli Sheetmetal, telling him that he had something he would see.
    After Doug had seen the coupe, he invited Don out to meet his wife Janet. At Doug and Janet's farm, Doug gave Don some old parts such as one of the spotlights and the helmet Doug raced with back in the days. He also gave Don the Hellings and Stellings filters from the '32 roadster. Later on Doug found the other spotlight on an old tractor. He sawed the spotlight off and gave it to Don and his wife as their wedding present.

    In 2010 Don drove the car over for the 62nd annual Bonneville Speed Week. By then the car had been changed back to the way it looked when it ran the salt flats at Bonneville in 1954. Later on in 2010 Doug's old coupe was hand picked to be part of the prestigious Customs Then and Now exhibit at the 2011 Grand National Roadster Show in Pomona, California, an elite gathering of the most historically significant customs in the world.
     

    Attached Files:

  11. 1961 Excalibur Hawk RS

    Bob Shaw is one lucky fellow. After rearing a family, running a thriving steering-wheel business, and conquering some setbacks to his health, Shaw focused his energy on that universal aspiration - constructing the car of his dreams.
    The Excalibur RS (Robert Shaw) he loaned to us for a few memorable hours is the fourth jewel in this enthusiast's crown. After rebuilding two Bugatti roadsters (Types 38 and 59), Shaw commissioned a scratch-built homage to the 1958 Ferrari Testa Rossa. The Excalibur is a tribute of a different caliber. Shaw was a close ally of the noted industrial designer Brooks Stevens and campaigned two of Stevens's creations in vintage racing. The Excalibur RS is an appropriately modernized version of the Hawk sports roadster that Stevens designed in 1959 and developed to the scale-model stage (currently in Shaw's possession).
    Stevens was a prolific designer who gave society the steam iron, pastel hues for kitchen appliances, the wide-mouth peanut-butter jar, and the expression "planned obsolescence." He also designed the Willys Jeepster, the Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk, and one of the Oscar Mayer Wienermobiles.
    Two contemporary designers - Ford retiree Herb Grasse and Dave Draper of Time Machines Unlimited - collaborated with Shaw to trim the Hawk's towering tail fins and to incorporate modern touches from Bugatti (exhaust treatment), the Ford GT40 (front end), and the Lamborghini Murciélago (scissor-hinged doors). Chuck Rahn, a crack fabricator, constructed the chassis, which has a steel-tube spaceframe, a control-arm front suspension, power rack-and-pinion steering, and a Halibrand rear axle. The classic Borrani wire wheels wear low-profile BFGoodrich radial tires. The finishing touch is an official Excalibur vehicle identification plate.
    From start to completion three years ago, Shaw invested ten years and way too much money into this project. Constructing the chassis consumed a year; designing and building the formed-aluminum body took more than three. The interior consists of fiberglass moldings trimmed in leather and engine-turned aluminum panels. The doors, hood, and deck lid all open and close at the touch of a button.
    The Excalibur RS's 5.7-liter General Motors V-8 crate engine is equipped with Edelbrock throttle-body fuel injection, tubular headers, and custom valve covers manufactured by Shaw's craftsmen. Honoring Stevens's traditional red, white, and blue livery, Shaw selected Mercedes-Benz mystic blue metallic paint, which he spotted in a London dealer's showroom, and paired it with pearl-white and brilliant-red accent colors.
     

    Attached Files:

  12. 1949 FIAT/Lancia Ardea barchetta by De Luca coachwork

    Once I wrote that the classic car world never gets you bored as very often your certainties are questioned: this is another example. Actually this car was built by a gentleman driver, Luciano De Luca, puttin’ toghether a Fiat 509 chassis with a narrow V4 Lancia Ardea engine.

    The front end was designed by De Luca himself, who decided also to bore the V4 increasing the displacement to 1000 c.c. This bore increase, along with the adoption of a couple of down-draft Weber carburetors, are said to have increased the power output to 50 h.p. A nice touch is the dog on the top of the radiator grille.

    This car is said to have had a major restoration in 2000, the original black plate (as it’s clearly visible from the period photo) and the original seat used by De Luca during the 1950 Giro Di Calabria.
     

    Attached Files:

  13. They talk about all this money that was put into it and all these different design influences, but it's just so bad.
     
  14. 1960 O.S.C.A. 750 S

    75 bhp, 850 cc inline four-cylinder engine with dual Weber carburetors, four-speed manual transmission, helical spring suspension in the front and rear, and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 82.67 in
    One of the most important examples in existence, with highly successful SCCA racing history
    The last of eighteen 750 S models constructed
    One of four OSCAs with a clamshell body
    Winner of the Index of Performance at the 1960 12 Hours of Sebring

    While OSCA might not be a household name to those not intimately familiar with racing, the last name of the men behind its founding certainly is.


    Ernesto, Ettoro, and Bindo Maserati departed the company that bore their name after the termination of a 10-year contract with Adolfo Orsi, following the sale of their shares to Orsi 10 years before. They founded Officine Specializzate Construzione Automobili in 1947, and their factory, the former home of Maserati manufacturing, was located in San Lazzaro di Saveno, a stone’s throw from Bologna.


    After the company’s inception, OSCA quickly began to make a name for itself, as it started to notch up class and overall wins at race tracks all over the globe, with some of the best drivers and teams in the world behind these fantastic new racing machines from Italy. In what is considered to be one of the biggest upsets in the history of endurance racing, Stirling Moss and Bill Lloyd won the 1954 12 Hours of Sebring overall behind the wheel of an OSCA MT4 that was entered by Briggs Cunningham. The duo successfully defeated legendary names like Phil Hill, Alberto Ascari, and Juan Manuel Fangio, and four OSCAs would finish in the top 10. One can only assume that this stunning performance caught the attention of John Bentley, of New York City, who finished 20th in that race in a Siata Fiat. Bentley purchased the OSCA 750 S presented here new in 1960.

    After it was purchased, chassis 769, the last of its kind to be produced by OSCA, immediately began its career on the race track, with both its co-owners, John Bentley and John “Jack” Gordon, behind the wheel. Both Bentley and Gordon were intimately familiar with OSCA automobiles, as they had campaigned a similar model at the 1960 24 Hours of Le Mans, finishing an incredible 2nd in class and 18th overall. Away from the race track, Gordon was a rocket scientist, proving that his aspirations for speed weren’t just limited to machines with four wheels and that he had the requisite technical know-how to keep a car like this in race-winning mechanical condition.

    The car’s first major competitive outing would be the 1960 12 Hours of Sebring. Bentley and Gordon decided to cut holes in the nose of the car in order to mount additional headlamps. This provided them with far greater visibility on the track, and it made the car unique amongst the other OSCAs racing that day. After a hard-fought 12 hours of racing, the OSCA screamed across the line in 12th place overall and 1st in its class, which was a marvelous accomplishment. Bentley and Gordon also won the Index of Performance, which is awarded to the car that covers the greatest distance in relation to its displacement and is a prize that is nearly as coveted as the overall win itself. Bentley and Gordon’s victory here was especially sweet considering they beat out Olivier Gendenbien and Hans Herrmann by a margin of just 0.0006 points for the prize. In the months following the race, Gordon bought out Bentley’s share in the car and began racing it under his own name in SCCA events.

    Saying that this OSCA had a successful career following the 1960 12 Hours of Sebring would be an understatement, as chassis 769 handedly won its class at many a race in the upcoming years. Gordon raced the OSCA at tracks all over the east coast of the United States, including at Watkins Glen, Lime Rock, Marlboro, and Vineland. In 1962, the OSCA returned to the 12 Hours of Sebring, where Bentley and Gordon placed 23rd overall and 1st in class once more. Accumulating so many victories led Gordon not only to the SCCA Northeast Division Championships but also to the SCCA National Championships.

    By the end of Gordon’s ownership of OSCA 769, he had secured numerous podium finishes in his class, including claiming the Northeast Division title in 1963 and finishing 2nd in the championship in 1961, 1962, and 1964. Gordon and his OSCA proved to be just as successful in the SCCA National Championships for the same class, finishing 2nd in 1961, 1962, and 1964 and 3rd in 1963.

    In 1961, Bentley and Gordon removed the OSCA’s original engine (774N) and installed an OSCA engine for the same model, 769N, into chassis 769. This engine was originally ordered by Gordon as a spare for the car, and it should be noted that this engine number was never allocated to any other chassis by the factory. The displacement was also increased to 850 cubic centimeters, as SCCA H Modified class regulations allowed an engine displacement of up to 850 cubic centimeters; this was a regulation that many 750 S owners took advantage of.

    Gordon finally sold his OSCA in 1966 to Roger Clouser, of Rochester, New York, before it passed through two subsequent owners in North Carolina and Illinois. The car was then purchased, in a partially restored state, by a David DuBrul in 1983. DuBrul continued the restoration, and it was completed the following year. After being returned to its original state, with its nose returned to its original format, the OSCA was fitted with Weber 33DS carburetors from engine 773, and it emerged more than ready to return to the track.

    In June 1986, this OSCA was purchased from David DuBrul in Burlington, Vermont, by an Oliver Collins, who resided in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Collins, an enthusiastic vintage racer, frequently drove the car in many historic racing events throughout his ownership, and the car was a frequent sight at VSCCA events on a variety of tracks in northeastern United States and Canada. Most notably, the car won and set a course record for cars with under 1 liter of displacement, which was a record that it would hold for seven years. Collins sold the car in 2005, after over 20 years of racing and ownership, and it has been very well looked after in the collection of its current owner since.
     

    Attached Files:

  15. Hmm... That car seems familiar... I think maybe I've ridden in it around a track... <A BORDER="0" HREF="http://www.supercars.net/PitLane?displayFAQ=y"><IMG BORDER="0" SRC="pitlane/emoticons/wink.gif"></A>
     
  16. 1994 Porsche 964 Turbo X88 ex Sultan Brunei special

    Supposedly, towards the end of the Turbo 3.6 , Porsche found themselves with 90 or so unsold Turbo 3.6 body and chassis assemblies. These assemblies were shipped to Porsche Exclusiv.
    Each assembly went in as a standard Turbo 3.6 and came out as Turbo 3.6S. As with many other Porsche special limited edition models, controversy rages in certain circles as to how many were
    Actually produced. German sources show that 76 flat nose versions (Flachbau) were delivered, against only 13 with the standard front end. This is one of those 13 cars, originally owned by the Sultan of Brunei and converted when new by RUF to the RUF EKS (Electronic Clutch System) this system was popular with the Sultan as many other similar Porsches in his collection at this time were documented as receiving the same upgrade.
    The vehicle has now been converted back to the regular manual five speed manual, although still sports the RUF emblem on the side of the transmission

    994 Porsche 964 3.6 Turbo X88 • Originally Supplied By Porsche Centre Premier Corporation BHD In Malaysia • 1st Registered 08.04.1994 • 1st Owner: The Sultan Of Brunei, Where It Stayed In His Collection From 1994 – 2003. • The Paint Is Metallic Colour To Sample – Horizon Blue • Interior – Marine Blue Full leather • X88 Factory Package Via Porsche Exclusiv • 5 Speed Manual Transmission • Air Conditioning • Comfort Seats With Full Electric Adjustment • 18” Polished Speedlines • Electric Sliding Roof • Head Light Levelling System • On Board Computer • Rear Window Wiper • X26 Leather Steering Wheel & Airbag That Was OnlY Supplied To The Sultan Of Brunei • Luggage Compartment With Velour Carpet • Holder For Cassettes And Coins • •
     
  17. Super!
     
  18. 1935 Bugatti Aerolithe re-creation

    Some of the most beautiful cars ever built were created in the 1930s. That's when the gorgeous Talbot-Lago teardrop coupes appeared alongside wildly styled Delahayes and, most famously, the Type 57 Bugatti Atlantics -- two of which survive to the present.

    When new, these cars made everything around them seem obsolete. Today, they evoke the glamour and modernity of the art deco period -- and they regularly go for stratospheric prices at auction.

    There was, however, one unique and mysterious car that showed up in 1935, made a single auto show appearance and was gone, never to be seen again. It was called the Aerolithe, and while it was one of the most beautiful of all Bugattis, it was also one of the shortest lived.

    Even by Bugatti standards, the Aerolithe was no ordinary car. Built a few years before the infamous type 57SC Atlantics, the Aerolithe clearly inspired their shapes -- yet it shared no dimensions with the well-known trio of coupes.

    Constructed on a non-supercharged type 57 chassis, the Aerolithe's body was built of magnesium, a brittle, inflammable material that offered one great advantage: It was extremely lightweight.

    The Aerolithe made a sensational debut at the 1935 Earl's Court Motor Show in the U.K. and had one road test in 1936. It was never sold by the factory.

    That's where the Aerolithe story comes to a dead end. The car was never seen again; it was most likely destroyed for materials during the war.

    We reported in June 2012 on an effort to re-create this lost icon. It has finally been completed.

    When the Guild of Automotive Restorers in Bradford, Ontario was commissioned to re-create the missing car, all that existed was a handful of black-and-white photographs and a few of rough blueprints.

    But accumulating those resources was just the beginning. A research team digitized the photographs, and every line and shadow was blown up, analyzed and argued over by the historians. After months of work and much trial and error, the team was able to re-establish the precise dimensions of the original car.

    There was early controversy as to whether the original car had been supercharged, but after exhaustive analysis, it was concluded that its inline-eight had been naturally aspirated.

    David Grainger, the proprietor of the Guild and a veteran of many restorations had an original type 57 chassis (number 57104) complete with engine and running gear. All that was needed was the car's signature feature: Its body.

    To construct it, the restoration team had to learn to handle dangerous magnesium. The team had spent a long time determining which period-correct alloy to use; in the end, the appropriate metal turned out to be much more difficult to shape than more modern mixes. Because of the material's brittleness, narrow strips of the flammable material had to be welded together to make the complex curves of the art deco body.

    Color was a key question for the team as all existing photos were black-and-white. However, a painting of the car existed, and by comparing this with other Bugatti colors, the original paint shade was identified.

    Even finding tires required extra effort. The photographs of the car at its only Motor Show appearance displayed it shod on Dunlop Balloon whitewall tires. Nothing suitable could be found, so the tires were custom fabricated after long but successful negotiations with the owners of the Dunlop trademarks.

    From start to finish, the research, planning and execution of the Aerolithe build took five years of trial and error. Now complete, the car will soon be making its way to its owner.

    With its curved haunches and long nose, the finished car has the look of a leaping cat. It has a taut sinuousness to it, seeming to be in motion even when still. The prominent center spine, which later appeared on the Atlantics, was both aesthetic and functional; it helped stiffen the car's magnesium-alloy body panels. The interior is classic Bugatti with its center-aligned Jaeger instrumentation and simple green leather seats.

    When a key part of automotive history simply disappears, the debate rages as to whether we should attempt to fill the gaps with modern tributes.

    As a precursor to the legendary Atlantics, the 1935 Bugatti Aerolithe seemed like a natural candidate for such re-creation. Its carefully researched, skillfully crafted replica enriches our appreciation of one of the most gorgeous designs in automotive history.

    It not yet been announced where or when -- or if -- the Aerolithe will make a public appearance, but it would be a shame if the long-missing, newly re-created Bugatti disappeared completely from the public eye once again.
     

    Attached Files:

  19. Was a fun day. Hopefully going back to that track to shoot another three cars in a little over a week!
     
  20. Very cool !!!
     
  21. 1963 O.S.C.A. 1600 GT Fissore

    After the Maserati brothers left Maserati SpA, they founded OSCA. Though initially founded solely to compete in racing, a few road cars did eventually trickle out.

    Most OSCA 1600GTs were bodied by Zagato. However, only 21 (such as this one) were also turned out by a much smaller firm by the name of Fissore. The Zagato featured a lightweight tubular frame with disk brakes at each corner and fully independent suspension. Though most Fissore models did not share this with their Zagato cousins, this one does.

    One of the most quickly recognizable differences between the Fissore and Zagato is the front end. From the front, the Fissore almost looks like a distant cousin to Fiat’s later Dino. Black paint works great on this car, and the Borrani wire wheels round off a very classy look.

    Inside is an interior that is pure Italian. The black/red leather contrasts beautifully with the red exterior, while the complete Jaeger instrumentation and Nardi wood wheel ties the classically-correct package together.

    Under the hood, all 1600GTs housed a tuned 1600cc engine that was a joint venture between Fiat and OSCA. These produced around 140hp at 7200 RPM. This, combined with a car that weighed around 1900 pounds, allowed for bursts to sixty in as little as 7.5 seconds.

    Overall, this is a great looking car which had stunning performance in its day and was produced by an extremely interesting company.
     

    Attached Files:

  22. Nakamura Ferrari 308 GTO

    Nakamura Engineering is one of Japan’s most well regarded Ferrari tuning and maintenance shops.This is a heavy updated Koenig 308 GTB
     

    Attached Files:

  23. 1957 Velam Isetta Record car

    The Isetta Speciale (also referred to as the "Course" and the "Aero" was the race car version of the Isetta. Built on the Isetta frame with the 236 cc motor, the Speciale assumed a low-slung and aerodynamic pose. The Speciale was raced by Jean Bianchi and Claude Peslier and broke several records in its class with its tiny 236 cc engine,attaining average speeds of 62 to 68 miles per hour for 12 and 24 hours races!
     

    Attached Files:

  24. 1964 Alpine M64 #1711

    115 bhp, 1,149 cc inline four-cylinder engine with double overhead camshafts, Hewland five-speed manual transmission, independent front and rear suspension with helicoidal springs and hydraulic shock absorbers, and four-wheel Girling disc brakes. Wheelbase: 2,300 mm

    The class winner at the 24 Hours of Le Mans and 12 Hours of Reims in 1964
    Single ownership for 37 years
    The last and most successful of three M64s produced

    In 1955, Alpine was founded by Jean Rédélé, who originally modified and campaigned Renault 4CVs but quickly found success in many of the world’s most illustrious sports car races. Soon enough, Rédélé started building his own cars on the 4CV chassis and mechanicals, with the A106 being produced in 1955. Nevertheless, Rédélé’s passion for racing never wavered, and in 1962, he introduced the M63, which was developed specifically for sports car racing. An updated version, dubbed the M64, was released for the 1964 season, and it was largely based on its predecessor. Just three examples were built, chassis 1709, 1710, and 1711.

    The final M64 produced, chassis 1711, debuted on the world stage at the 1964 24 Hours of Le Mans. At this event, taking place on 21 June, chassis 1711 was driven by Henry Morrogh and Roger Delageneste and started 36th on the grid, but it was ultimately the 17th car to cross the finish line. The car completed 292 laps and covered just under 3,921 kilometres, leading Morrogh and Delageneste to a 1st in class finish for the team’s second outing at the fabled race. With an average speed of 163 km/h, the Alpine finished eighth in the performance index and first in “thermal efficiency”, for the most fuel efficient car over the course of the race, averaging around 21 mpg!

    The next event would be a few short weeks later, at the 12 Hours of Reims, where the Alpine won its class yet again with Delageneste and Morrogh as drivers. Roy Smith, author of Alpine and Renault: The Sports Prototypes Volume 1, mentions a story that was recounted to him by Henry Morrogh, where he was enjoying his victory with Juan Manuel Fangio, who attended the race, and Fangio was asked to take a “lap of honour” in the Alpine with Morrogh. Sure enough, Fangio hopped in the car and took it for a lap around the circuit, adding another exciting lap to a car with an already fantastic race record in 1964. Following its race at Reims, the Alpine was campaigned in several hill climbs and the Paris 1000 KM, where 1711 placed 2nd in class, to conclude the 1964 season.

    After being fitted with an Allinquant oleo-pneumatic suspension system for the 1965 season, the car participated in its first event of that year, the Le Mans test on 4 April. Chassis 1711, accompanied by the two other M64s, as well as a M65 and an M63, finished 3rd in class and 23rd overall, behind the M65 and one other M64. Whilst this test might have seemed promising for the 24-hour race in June, 1711 sadly dropped out during the 15th hour, due to mechanical problems. The M64 returned to Reims once more in July, finishing 4th in class in the 12-hour race. Its last professional outing of its career would come just three weeks later, at the Cognac Grand Prix, with Mauro Bianchi behind the wheel.

    Following its retirement from racing, the car was retained by Alpine as a prototype for the A210, and the rear section of the body was modified by the factory. The rail fins were added to allow back-to-back aerodynamic testing. It was sold in tired condition to J.L. Marnat, of France, who sold it, in October 1977, to its current French owner, who has retained the car in his possession ever since. Earlier this year, the car finished a complete restoration to M64 specifications, but it still retains its development tail that was successfully applied to the A210.
     

    Attached Files:

  25. 1956 Ferrari Bardahl Experimental

    In 1952 Ferrari had arranged for Ascari to race three modified 4.5 liter Formula 1 vehicles to be driven by American drivers for the Indianapolis 500. Unfortunately none of these vehicles qualified for the race that year.

    In 1956, at the insistence of the United States Ferrari importer, Luigi Chinetti, Ferrari agreed to make a second attempt at the brickyard. The goal, besides nostalgic or sentimental reasons, was to promote the Ferrari name in the United States. Ferrari teamed up with Bardahl Additives (as sponsor), who was already well known at the Indianapolis 500.

    Due a shortage of time, it was out of the question for Ferrari to develop a complete car. For this reason a frame from Kurtis Kraft, manufactured in Glendale in California, was selected. The contribution of Ferrari was thus limited to the supplying the drive train and driver. A 1955 Sport Tipo engine was used. This was an in-line six cylinder engine. It’s power had been proven at the Turn of Sicily and at the 10 Hours of Messina however it’s endurance remained questionable.

    Nino Farina, the 1950 Formula 1 Champion of the World (in an Alfa Romeo) was selected to be the driver. In 1956, he was without a contract. This allowed Ferrari to avoid using one of its regular drivers.

    The car did not qualify.
     

    Attached Files:

Share This Page