Strange/Rare car profiles-identifies threat

Discussion in 'Car Pictures' started by Vasileios Papaidis, Nov 1, 2013.

  1. Vasileios Papaidis likes this.
  2. Hello,please change my nickname bill rizopoulos to my real name Vasileios Papaidis,thank you very much!
     
  3. OK Done.
     
    Veyronman and Vasileios Papaidis like this.
  4. rapid action,many thanks!
     
    ETB4U and Veyronman like this.
  5. 1968 Healey SR Le Mans
    vehicle_ad_standard_image_d33ab9feddab27a62dfe90e51ea4e18e.jpg
    The Healey SR : the story of the last Healey at Le Mans
    The three-year assault on Le Mans by Donald M. Healey CBE and his son Geoffrey Healey, from 1968 to 1970 was probably one of the last sole manufacturers attempt at this event which almost resulted in success.
    In December 1967 the end of an era was marked by the decision of BMC not to continue manufacturing Austin- Healeys, coupled with the infamous withdrawal by Lord Stokes of any kind of support for competition and also for the sports car clubs specifically MG and Austin Healey. The in-house magazine Safety Fast came to an end and was replaced by Austin Magazine.

    In November of 1967 Donald Healey decided to have a last attempt at Le Mans with an all British built entry and also a car built within the confines of the Donald Healey Motor Co. at Coten End, Warwick.

    The car was to be designed using proven engineering techniques, with a rigid base construction, built up from single-curvature sheet metal panels which could readily be reproduced as a series-production job.
    Known as the Sub Rosa car (secret) the company worked through the winter of 1967 and 1968 but before they got more than 3 months down the road in anticipation of the published Le Mans entries they announced the SR Healey-Climax with a Press release on 16th February 1968.

    By using their in-house manufacturing and locating a Coventry-Climax V8 engine and Hewland gearbox this was to be an all British entry which history will show was to be the last.

    The car made its first outing at Silverstone still in its unpainted Birmabright Aluminium bodywork, tested by a number of very experienced drivers including Andrew Hedges, Clive Baker and John Harris.
    Time was against the project but due to the now famous (infamous) Oui or Non! -! referendum by Charles De Gaule, Le Mans that year was postponed from mid June until 28/29th September, which must have helped the DHM Co. get the car much nearer to where they wanted to be by the time of the event.
    As is well documented Clive Baker and Andrew Hedges were the drivers in 1968. Having practiced in the "spare" engine the week before, by race day the race engine was installed and Clive Baker took the first session. Within three hours the car (No: 47) was dogged with Clutch and gear selection problems and retired.

    In 1969 the SR (No: 37) had been modified with a bigger radiator now mounted in the front of the car instead of by twin radiators on each rear wing, the oil cooler radiator had been moved from the front to the rear wings, and the air intakes made smaller, and small aero foils fitted to the rear.Drivers for this year were Clive Baker and John Harris. Again Clive Baker started the race, and was involved in the section where a Porsche had a major shunt. Debris from the crash was attributed to blocking the air intakes, together with the SR having been held up on the circuit, and the resulting overheating caused a head gasket to blow and the car once again retired.

    For 1970 entered as XR37 (No: 34) it was decided to modify the car dramatically and move up to 3 Litre engine size.
    As was the fashion at the time, the car was modified into an open "Barquette" or “Spyder” by removing the Coupe' panels, roof and windscreen and cutting the car basically in half - extending the wheelbase dimensions by 6" and fitting a 3 Litre Repco-Brabham V8.
    This car was driven by Andrew Hedges and Roger Enever, and despite a 1 & 1/2 hour (90 minutes) pit repair to replace clutch/gearbox components, also the car being involved in a shunt with a Porsche, and Jim Cashmore the DHM Co. Workshop Supervisor lying in the pit lane bending bodywork back with his legs!! the car ran extremely well despite torrential rain for most of the race.
    XR37 at one time was 10th overall and with just 14 minutes of the race left (23 hours 46 minutes) whilst lying in 14th overall a ballast resister rivet shook loose and the engine expired.
     

    Attached Files:

  6. _SC_ is one of the most reliable members.

    Having real-time tech support is still something that amazes me - we never had anything like that before!
     
  7. And thank you for sharing your amazing pictures.
     
    Vasileios Papaidis likes this.
  8. Hell yeah. Ive always loved this car!
     
  9. Reminds me of this gorgeous thing
     

    Attached Files:

  10. or the Ecurie Ecosse Tojeiro Ford
     

    Attached Files:

  11. 1956 Pegaso Z-103 Panoramica by Touring
    1956-Pegaso-Z-103-Panoramica-side_filtered.jpg


    Step one was to launch a truck manufacturing concern called ENASA (headed by Ricart and located in the former Hispaño-Suiza factory) to put the country's industrial renaissance on Spanish wheels. For step two, Ricart sold his bosses -- including Generalissimo F. Franco -- on the merits of building an expensive, state-of-the-art car incorporating all his wildest engineering dreams. His argument was that it could serve as a teaching platform to hone ENASA workers' machining and manufacturing skills, with the high selling price paying for said training. Franco initially wanted the car to be a limousine ambassadors could use to impress their foreign hosts (and indeed a 4.4-liter V-12-powered Z-101 sedan design was sketched up), but Ricart prevailed in pushing through a Ferrari-fighting GT coupe and roadster.
    Design work commenced in 1950, incorporating many Gazella features and an engine that looked like half of his Alfa V-16, with four gear-driven camshafts running in needle bearings, sodium-filled exhaust valves, hemispherical combustion chambers, a nitrided crankshaft, and dry-sump lubrication with oil filters mechanically swept clean with every press of the clutch pedal. By September 1951, five cars were completed and offered for sale, with a 3-year unconditional warranty! Named Pegaso, after the winged horse of Greek mythology, the Z-102 absolutely stole the 1951 Paris show. After all, who would choose a prancing horse over a winged one?
    The car bristled with innovation. To ensure balanced weight distribution and a high polar moment for good handling, the transaxle was located behind the ZF-licensed limited-slip differential, between twin saddlebag fuel tanks. That transaxle employed its own oil pump, featured five ratios (when three or four were the norm), and utilized motorcycle-like dog-clutch "crash box" engagement so experienced drivers only needed the clutch for initial launch.

    Rear suspension was via a de Dion tube that arced over the front of the diff and was linked to transverse torsion bars above the trans. This tube was located laterally by a ball and roller that ran in a channel on the body-mounted differential, and longitudinally by long diagonal leading links that met at a single point at the far rear of the chassis. Front geometry was the typical unequal-length control arms (forged and magnafluxed), with the lower ones pivoted by longitudinal torsion bars. The brake system featured separate front and rear brake circuits -- common now, but unheard of in the day -- with huge ventilated aluminum-finned drums, inboard at the rear to reduce unsprung weight. Unassisted worm-and-sector steering was geared for 1.7 turns lock-to-lock -- a handful at low speeds, but at least the column telescoped 3.5 inches, so the driver could adjust it for maximum leverage.
    To maximize the training value (and because Spain had absolutely no indigenous automotive supplier base), ENASA made almost every Pegaso part, including nuts and bolts. Exceptions were the Weber carbs, Borrani wheels, Bosch ignition, some Lockheed brake parts, and Pirelli tires, though even these were molded in Spain. This certainly makes that short development time and 3-year warranty seem all the more impressive. It should also be noted that the four-cam engine was offered in three displacements (2.5, 2.8, and 3.2 liters), with four compression ratios to suit countries with lower-quality fuel, and with a choice of carburetion ranging from one two-barrel, two four-barrels, or four two-barrels. The top competition engines received single or twin (sequential) supercharging. Output ranged from 128 to 355 hp.

    Then, at the 1955 Paris show, Ricart introduced a new engine that aimed to reduce cost and complexity by swapping high-strung overhead cams for big-lunged displacement with pushrod-actuated overhead valves good for 5800 rpm. It retained the hemi-head, all-aluminum construction and sodium-filled exhaust valves, and picked up twin-plug ignition. Three displacements were planned (3.9, 4.5, 4.7 liters) with the usual array of carbs and supercharging culminating in one reportedly capable of 350 hp and 170 mph. Only two were installed in Pegaso coupes, as they were intended for a higher-volume five-seat sedan that was widely publicized.
    Ricart knew only too well that generating real respect required more than press accolades, so ENASA took the Pegaso racing in 1952, and found success in hill climbs and rally events (winning 10 of the former and five of the latter outright in five years), but the Pegaso had less luck in higher-profile road races. Two supercharged 2.8-liter cars were sent to Le Mans in '52, but were withdrawn weeks in advance after testing revealed weakness in the cam-drive. Tests at Monaco shortly thereafter revealed braking and oil system problems, forcing another withdrawal. A 1953 assault on Le Mans was complicated by a fire that destroyed the two aero-optimized race cars, each equipped with compound-supercharged 2.5-liter engines. They were replaced by standard roadsters with single-compressor 2.8-liter engines. One, being driven by Spain's top driver, Juan Jover, crashed severely and he later died from his injuries. The other was retired with brake problems, though not before recording a 143.6-mph top speed on the Hunaudières straight. Another crash ended a promising run at the Carrera Panamericana in 1954.

    Top speed would become a Pegaso claim to fame for a brief moment, but here again the team was dogged by bad luck. A special aerodynamically optimized "Bisiluro" or catamaran record car was built, featuring a narrow greenhouse for the driver on the extreme right of the car that tapered to a stabilizing tailfin, with a similar fin on the left side. In trials, the compound-supercharged 2.5-liter engine blew when spark-plug troubles holed two pistons. (Clearly, short duration and lower-stress events like hill climbs and rallies better suited the Pegaso.) Desperate to set a record, the team brought the blown 2.8-liter roadster that had retired from Le Mans to Jabbeke, Belgium, where Celso Fernández set four records on September 25, 1953, the fastest of which was 151.042 mph in the flying kilometer. Jaguar had held these records with its XK120, and the Brits wasted no time returning weeks later with a "mildly" modified XK140 to set a new 172.411-mph best in the flying mile.
    So let's grant that perhaps the Pegaso's stout chassis and supple suspension were best suited to Grand Touring across Spain's dodgy road network -- and to making a splash at concours events in the day. The latter was especially true of the Pegasos that wore coachwork by firms like Barcelona's own Carrocero Serra, Paris' Saoutchik, or Touring of Milan. The last got the bulk of the business, thanks to the personal relationship Ricart engendered with founder Felice Bianchi Anderloni during his time in Italy. It was largely Touring's various coupes and spyders, penned by Federico Formenti, that defined Pegaso's corporate identity.
     
    Tony 75 likes this.
  12. 1933 Lancia Astura Serie II by Castagna
    astura.jpg
    Concorso d' Eleganza Villa d' Este 2016 winner!
    During the 1950s this car was in the UK and wore a Morris 8 Series E front grille! Now it’s back to stunning original condition following a restoration by Paul Grist.
    .........................
    Edit story Vasileios Papaidis
    In 1931 Lancia Astura entering the production model was to replace Dilambda as the flagship model of the Italian manufacturer. Although times were hard, and many manufacturers sought solutions to produce models smaller and cheaper to buy and operate. Lancia proposed Astur, which, as has already happened for tradition's Vincenzo Lancia had many firsts. And at the same time was enough luxury to satisfy the richest clients.
    In the 30s, Lancia, just like other automakers, focused on wealthier clients, widely used the help of a third car body. Astura which by definition was a luxury car, was also produced in the form of the chassis karosowania. The model Lambda engineers under the supervision of the owner of the company has successfully applied the first self-supporting body, but this solution had one, but significant drawback. In Car with a monocoque body could not be so easily modify the body as in the case with a traditional frame.
    Third series model Astura, the Tipo 233, in 1934 was offered to the chassis with two different wheelbases. A shorter version called Corta was gladly chosen by individual producers body from the long version. Chassis 233c have a wheelbase of 310cm, which is about 23cm shorter than the models 233L. In the years 1934-1937 was established from 299 to 328 chassis type 233c.
    Lancia Astura 233c Aerodinamica was founded in 1935 at Body Castagna of Milan. It produced two copies of this type,this is the first one,the second build for Bruno and Vittorio Mussolini, the sons of the Italian dictator.
    Both Mussolini brothers had the "Scuderia Parioli" founded a racing group for children from wealthy families. The shown vehicle was delivered on August 11, 1935 and was supported by Minetti and Gerardi at the 24th - driven "Ore di Pescara Targa Abruzzo". They lay at No. 3, when she dropped out because of an incorrect fuel mixture. The vehicle was then Vittorio Mussolini as a city car and has, inter alia, 1935 participated in the Villa Olmo at Concorso Eleganza. (. In contrast to large parts of stylists car was manufactured with closed body. In sunny Italy a large part of the emerging car was built as a convertible.
    Emilio Castagna, who in the 30's he designed cars for many companies, including Alfa Romeo and Lancia, was fascinated by speed. As a result, his designs were subordinated to the whole aerodynamics. Low led body lines and streamlined design that was his recipe for increased performance, but do not forget also about the luxurious finish. At the end of the Lancia Astura was a car for wealthy recipients.
    Engine 8V, 2972 cc,82hp,960kg,max speed 140kph.
     
  13. 1966 Bosley - MkII Interstate
    bo1.jpg
    The Bosley Interstate was the second car produced by Richard Bosley.
    Bosley’s own spec's for the Mark II, which he called the Interstate for its intended driving medium, his stated purpose for the car was for driving in comfort and safety over the interstate highways and for the pleasure of good automotive design.
    Sometime in the early to mid 1960's, he traded the Mark 1 for a Chevrolet Corvette SR-2, one of three that Chevrolet built for racing and for GM executives in 1956, he stripped the body off of it and began work on the Mark 2.
    Bosley fitted the Interstate with a 345 hp Pontiac V-8, a four-speed manual transmission, a 35-gallon fuel tank, magnesium center lock wheels, and a full stainless-steel exhaust system, along with Marchal Fulgor air horns and Marchal Optique headlamps also including a Nardi steering wheel and leather seats.
    Whether Bosley put as many miles on the Interstate as he did on the Mark 1, nobody seems to know.
    The car still survives after initially being re-found in the 1990's, the Bosley Mk2 Interstate was owned by the car collector Ron Kellogg of Whittier, California, until purchased by the current owner, who took it to The Creative Workshop for a full restoration.
    The Creative Workshop displayed the Interstate in March, as part of its pre-Amelia Island open house.
     

    Attached Files:

    • bo2.jpg
      bo2.jpg
      File size:
      47.9 KB
      Views:
      320
    • bo3.jpg
      bo3.jpg
      File size:
      43.8 KB
      Views:
      369
    • bo4.jpg
      bo4.jpg
      File size:
      52.2 KB
      Views:
      377
  14. 2014 Viotti Willys AW 380 Berlinetta


    viotti-motor-show-2014_3.jpg
    Sometimes the automotive world throws out something so bizarre, you can't help but do a double-take in disbelief. Take this Willys AW 380 Berlinetta, for example. It's made by a pair of Italian companies and inspired by a French design that harkens back to the work in Brazil of an American company. The mind boggles.

    The AW 380 is being unveiled at the Bologna Motor Show, but this Willys is no Jeep. It's being built in cooperation by two Italy's Maggiora and Carrozzeria Viotti. The design is inspired by the Renault Alpine A108 with quad headlights up front, a flowing roof and rear-mounted engine. There's a reason for that Gallic influence: According to WorldCarFans, Willys actually built some examples of the A108 in Brazil in the '60s.

    According to the spec sheet, the engine out back is a 3.8-liter, twin-turbocharged six-cylinder boxer engine making a reported 610 horsepower and 612 pound-feet of torque. While not specifically stated, that sounds like a Porsche mill to us. In a total package that weighs 2,976 pounds, the Willys can allegedly hit 62 miles per hour in 2.7 seconds with a top speed of 212 mph.

    Prices for these oddities are set at 380,000 euros (around $467,000 at current rates) and 110 examples are planned, with the companies claiming that first one is already spoken for.
     
    MooSquad likes this.
  15. 1964 Brabham BT8 Sports Racer
    IMG_0311.jpg
    This was Jack Brabham’s personal car. Its first racing outing was August 3, 1964 at Brands Hatch. Brabham started last in the “Guards International Trophy” at Brands Hatch and finished 2nd overall to Bruce McLaren’s 3.9 Liter McLaren-Elva. In 1964 he went onto race the car at the L.A. Times Grand Prix at Riverside and the Monterey Pacific Grand Prix at Laguna Seca. Some of this cars other drivers and race tracks it competed at were Cliff Hayworth, first in Class in Del Mar, 1964. Robs Lamplough at the Nassau Speed Weeks. Alan Johnson at Laguna Seca, 1965. All owners are known from new. In past years it has been a race winner in Historic races and was driven at the Monterey Historics in 1991 once again by Jack Brabham.
    First restored to the highest level by Joe Cavaglieri in 1989 with 2.5 liter Coventry Climax and Hewland HD5 gearbox. Raced and maintained by Entrepreneur Motorsports. Entrepreneur Motorsports is noted for having entered and raced in the Trans Am series with talented crew members from Indy Car and other series. Recently in April they restored the Gurney Eagle that was presented to Dan Gurney for his birthday. This BT8 is at a top race ready level.
    Only 12 BT8’s were built. This is one of the most famous and unique. Jack Brabham’s personal car.


     
    ETB4U likes this.
  16. 1969 JWF Milano GT2 Milano GT2.jpg
    The GT2,was a relatively simple car yet for 3 years in NSW was a front runner in sports car racing among some very formidable company. Milanos were the most popular of the various kit cars built by JWF through the late 50s to early 60s. The Milano started as an open car but later they came up with a roofed version and called it the Milano GT. The name JWF came from the three partners, "Sam" Johnson, Geoff Williams and Grant Furzer but by 1962 Geoff and Grant had gone their separate ways. Sam continued on with the JWF fibreglass business, moving away from sports car bodies and concentrating more on industrial products (does this sound familiar?). However he did go motor racing with a couple of mates, earthmoving contractor Bruce Leer and Moss Angliss. Sam and Bruce ran 179 powered Milano GTs on fabricated twin tubed chassis and Moss raced a Lotus Super 7. For those that don't know the original Milano GTs looked nothing like the GT2 and maybe I'd better post some photos later. After a lapse in racing for Sam and Bruce, they became bitten by the bug again probably inspired by the bits in the workshop left over from the racing days. They were also inspired by the success Moss was having with his clubman and thought about how that style of car would go with a 179 in it. The GT2 doesn't look much like a clubman but you will notice that the cars have long noses and the driver sits right back in the clubman position. Two cars were built, Sam doing the bodies and Bruce doing the chassis. Some of the bodywork was actually bonded to the chassis for additional strength. The cars were ready to race in late 1970. By then Sam's wife didn't like him racing any more and Moss, who had helped build the second chassis, mainly drove Sam's car. Both cars were painted black and looked stunning. The motors were almost standard apart from being fitted with triple one and three quarter inch SUs. Yet they were front runners. I used to follow their performances with enthusiasm, often through the pages of RCN and Auto Action. In 1972 in round 3 of the Australian Sports Car Championship at Warwick Farm, Bruce came a creditable 6th and Moss 7th behind such cars as the Elfin 360s of South Australians Phil Moore (3rd) and Henry Michell (5th) and the Elfin ME5 of Charlie Occhipinti (4th). The ME5 is the awesome car that we are now following with equal enthusiasm in the hands of Trevor Lambert. When the emphasis in sportscar racing shifted to Production Sportscars, you might recall Charlie came out with that monstrous Corvette and to this day, Chris Clearihan is still grumbling about Charlie flipping his ex-Canon Nagari at Hume Weir as he came up to lap him resulting in the car being rebodied in LHD form. I've digressed so much that I might as well do so even more. On the subject of the 1972 championship, in round 5, 7th place was taken by Barry Coleman in a Bolwell Mark 7 which might be of some interest to the friends of Dave Hamlin.Meanwhile, back at the GT2, pressure came from everywhere for replicas to be made but Sam was adamant that they just weren't viable as they would be too much work. There was just one exception. A cousin of Frank Matich was able to convince them to build a third car for him and that car is still around today in the hands of Scott Whittaker I believe. In 1973 both works cars went to Western Australia. Firstly Sam's car, but it wasn't long before the new owner pranged it and wanted to buy Bruce's which went over there too. I'm not sure which car it is but former NSW Bolwell Cub president, Andrew Kluver, owns this GT2 below. It would be great to hear from Andrew about the recent history of his car.
    In more recent times I came across Bruce Leer when he came to SA for a round of the speedcar championship with his speedway team. I have a feeling he was building speedcars and supporting his son in that endeavour as was my old friend Bruce Howle.
     
    MooSquad, IdoL and ETB4U like this.
  17. I love the small rim, fat tire look.
     
    Vasileios Papaidis likes this.
  18. 1937 FORD V8 by Reichsfachschule für Karosseriebau/Berlin
    1937 FORD V8 by Reichsfachschule für Karosseriebau-Berlin.jpg

    Edit story Vasileios Papaidis
    Gerhard Macher was a German race-driver, with a lot of victories (driving DKW-cars),in 1937 ordered and paid for two racecar prototypes (one coupe and one roadster) based on GER-Ford-V8-chassis' with body coachwork from the "Reichsfachschule für Karosseriebau/Berlin".
    It was a coachbuilding-school in Berlin.
    The aluminium carosserie, created in Jaray-example, was only 160kg in weight.
    Planed for the never realized Berlin>Rom-Tour (1938, Sept., 24>26th.) the cars runs with some alp-tours till 1940.
    Unfortunately both cars are missing during the WW.II
    The race prototype pictured at the Grossglockner road in the Alps.


     
  19. 1949 Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 SS Barchetta Competizione o_1294055740-930x697.jpg
    Produced from 1939 and after the war until 1951, the 6C 2500 was the last of the famous six cylinder cars first started with the 1928 6C 1500. For this reason, the later 6C 2500s, and especially the elegant Villa d’Este model were considered the end of an era for Alfa, and some call them the last of the great Alfas.

    The model was built up from the previous 6C 2300 and retained its all-independently sprung suspension. The 2500 was a faster car and was the first to reach 100 mph thanks to its increased engine capacity and an improved fuel feed. The pre-war cars could be ordered in several chassis lengths and various stated of tunes: Turismo (87 bhp), Sport (95 bhp), SS or Super Sport (105 bhp) and SS Corsa (125 bhp).

    The car was powered by an Inline-6 engine that traced its roots back to the prewar competition models. It was originaly deigned by Vittorio Jano and was reengineered by Bruno Treviso to have a 2443cc displacement, improved cylinder head and a 7:1 compression ratio. The top model was the Super Sport (SS) which had the shortest wheelbase for nimble handling and a tripple carburetted engine capable of 105 bhp. Only a select handful of these Super Sports, as little as four, were upgraded to full Corsa specification.

    Pininfarina, Touring, Bertone, Vignale, Zagato with many others bodied the 6C 2500, and each gave the car their own style. The Pininfarina cabriolet a particularly glamorous design, having a wide bench seat offering room for three occupants, steering column mounted gear lever and winding side windows. After the war, Alfa Romeo began producing their own bodies, a move which would eventually put an end to the era of custom coach building. Offered as complete cars, the first few bodies Alfa built were the Sport Berlinetta and Cabriolet.

    As a racing car, the 6C 2500 SS made its debut by winning the Tobruk-Tripoli coastal endurance race in 1939, and continued its sporting success after the war from 1946 to 1950 with three 6C 2500 Competitziones. Each featured unique aluminum bodies and 145 bhp engines.

    An original sporting version came out in 1946 as one of the first postwar cars nicknamed the ”Freccia d’Oro” (the first post-war car). It featured a shortened and rounded rear end following the most advanced aerodynamic concepts of the time. Very late in the production run, Alfa was very proud to release the Villa d’Este version, named after the car’s triumph at the concours with the same name. The V-shaped effect on the bonnet is still reflected in the modern Alfa Romeos of today. A total of 2800 6C 2500s were made and it was Alfa’s most successful model. The specification listed is for that of the SS model.

    The ex Martin Macoco de Alzaga Unzue

    Until the 1950s cars formed a relatively small part of Alfa Romeo’s business, the company’s main interest being the manufacture of aero engines. Beginning in the late 1920s, however, and largely thanks to the genius of Vittorio Jano, Alfa Romeo won dozens of Grand Prix, ten of the twelve pre-war Mille Miglia races, took Le Mans 24 Hours races four years in a row and the Targa Florio six times consecutively. Alfa Romeo was the outstanding marque of the inter-war period. Post-war, it concentrated on becoming a volume producer, yet it still managed to field its 1938/39 Tipo 158 single seaters and, after a hiccup on their first outing in 1946, they won every Grand Prix they entered until mid-1951, a period of domination without parallel in the history of the sport. Indeed, it was typical of the spirit of Alfa Romeo that it should return to Grand Prix racing while still repairing a factory which had been heavily bombed and while also developing an entirely new design, the 1900, which would begin the process of transforming Alfa Romeo into a mass producer.

    While all this was going on, the company resumed production of the 6C 2500 which it had introduced in 1939 and which had appeared in both Sport and Super Sport chassis guise. The Sport’s twin carburettor, 2,443cc engine now produced 90bhp at 4,600rpm while an optional three carburettor version boasted 110bhp at 4,800rpm. All post-war 6C 2500 variants featured independent coil spring suspension all round and specially cooled hydraulic drum brakes, and notably all were right-hand drive with column gear change. This car was the last of the classical Alfa Romeos and while it was first made just after Vittorio Jano had left to join Lancia, it has the fingerprints of that great designer all over it.

    According to the AUTOMOBILISMO STORICO Alfa Romeo this car was manufactured and shipped to Montevideo in Uruguay in 1949 and purchased by well known multi-millionaire and racing driver Martin Macoco de Alzaga Unzue, who extensively raced Bugattis, Alfa Romeos and other prestigious cars from the 1920s to the late 1950s in Indianapolis and South America.

    We are told, that on his behalf this car, an original 2500 SS Freccia d`Oro was modified – the engine was uprated with a dry sump and increased power output, a modified back axle with leaf springs and shock absorbers was fitted and a stunning new open body commissioned for his racing purposes.

    He raced the car in the following years until it was laid up and found some 30 years later by an Argentinean gentleman in restorable condition. He embarked on this task with the aim to race it again in historic motor sport.

    In 1991 this car was successfully entered to participate in that year’s Mille Miglia with the start number 118 – driven by the Argentinean gentleman who found and restored the car. Subsequently the car was sold to a private German collection and disappeared for the next 17 years until it was purchased by the present owner.
     
  20. 1955 Abarth 207/A by Boano
    126093.jpg

    s/n 001, Engine no. 103P.000 1549681
    White and Red with Red Interior
    Carlo Abarth: energetic and adventurous, five-time European motorcycle racing champion, co-founder of Cisitalia, and founder of Abarth, his legacy remains as one of the most innovative independent sports car designers of the post war era. In the 1950’s, “Abarth & Co.” was celebrated for their hand-built, coachbuilt cars, passionately prepared and displayed as a means of promoting their line of performance accessories. Italian car manufacturers Alfa Romeo, Fiat and Lancia, along with Ferrari, Maserati, even Porsche frequently added Abarth equipment to improve performance and bolster exclusivity.
    The earliest “Abarth” cars (1949) continued to bear the Cisitalia badge with “Squadra Abarth” markings on the sides of the body. However, by 1950, the totally new 205 chassis arrived, ushering in the Abarth lineage. Two cars were initially delivered, with two more to follow as interest grew. The first finished car appeared March 1950 at the Giro di Sicilia, followed by the second shortly thereafter. In April 1950, both cars raced in the Mille Miglia with the first car featuring distinctive aerodynamic modifications along with additional lightweight body panels.
    Building ambitiously on this success, the Abarth 207/A came to fruition when US based Italian-car importer, Tony Pompeo perceived demand for a 1000cc sports-racing car. In 1954, shortly after discussions with Abarth, Pompeo inspired John Bentley to place an order for the first Abarth 207/A off the line, becoming the first car built by Abarth in series. The 207/A utilized the Fiat 1100/103 driveline, with performance enhancements, while the chassis was largely hand fabricated using a sheet-steel platform similar to previous Abarth models. This new chassis would be significant enough on it’s own performance merits, but for the fact that one critical feature remained; the body design. For this, Giovanni Michelotti was called upon to sculpt what would ultimately become one of the most distinctive and memorable bodies ever crafted. Michelotti was, by this time, well known for being a risk-taker in his design work. Using intuitive aerodynamic ideas, Michelotti created an asymmetrical body design that departed radically from the soft, and often plump forms, typical of this period. Instead the 207 featured edgy aerodynamic lines on a low and lean body, leveraging the new chassis, while exposing remarkable mechanical design sophistication truly ahead of the times. The low frontal cross section, peaked fenders, minimal windscreen, and partially covered rear wheels were all radical but beautifully executed ideas.
    The 207 was fabricated by hand at the newly formed Boano Coachbuilders, stunning onlookers and automotive press, resulting in several inquiries to Abarth for orders. In all, a dozen cars were completed, all of which were hand made, each containing variations based on customer order. Although the stunning body design and capable mechanicals proved robust, and the chassis delivered competitive results, times were changing. Small-displacement racing was evolving and these charming “dual-purpose” Italian racing sports cars struggled to compete against purpose-built racecars from other countries. What would prove to be a challenging time for racing, resulted in unexpected rarity witnessed today by the few proper remaining 207 series survivors.
    This example is the first car sold (chassis N. 001). It arrived in the USA “just in time” for owner John Bentley and co-driver Jim McGee to allow minimal preparation for the 1955 Sebring 12-hour race. The car competed valiantly but eventually was withdrawn part way through the race. The balance of the 1955 season resulted in selected podium class finishes at Thompson and Watkins Glen, as well as a new speed record at Daytona Beach. John Bentley, and subsequent owners, Max Goldman, Karl Brigandi, and Carmella Martin, campaigned the car in period racing events in the Midwest, and by 1957, in California.
    By 1986 001 was active again, this time in vintage competition, owned by George Simmons and later Courtney Whitlock. Jim Proffitt restored the car for Whitlock before attending several North American premier vintage racing and concours events through 2004 as well as multiple appearances in Northern California’s Concourses through 2010.
    Today this Abarth presents a unique opportunity for an enthusiast to acquire a car that is eligible for numerous events and top-level shows such as Pebble Beach, Villa d’Este, and Chantilly Arts & Elegance, among others. Unlike significantly higher priced and well-known or previously exhibited cars, this Abarth 207/A delivers an adventurous, open, coachbuilt experience with stunning body design and thoroughly novel construction. Truly there are few cars that can offer this much excitement and potential to participate in a wide range of shows and events at an attractive entry price.
    Today the car is best described as being properly restored, displaying very good racing cosmetics inside and out. While several important safety features have been made in compliance with current historic racing requirements, the car retains much of its original, almost impossible to replace equipment such as the twin, single throat Weber 36 DO4 carburetors, Nardi flat wood wheel, and hood hold downs, which are unique to these cars.
     
    Tony 75 and ETB4U like this.
  21. +1 Karma to @Vasileios Papaidis I think it's awesome you take time to share your amazing photos and wealth of knowledge with us about these awesome cars.
     
    Vasileios Papaidis likes this.

Share This Page