Stupidest parish in the universe...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Sled Driver, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Maronites and Melkites are very orthodox, the only fly is that they see the Pope as the religious authority.

2. Why would you want to do that, given the choice not to?

3. Explain. I don't quite understand you.

4. The pope is the main thing that I can see wrong with the catholic church.

5. Oh, okay.

6. Why?

7. I think the pope is too powerful. What he says, generally goes, but in God's eyes, we are all equally human and no human should be that far elevated in religion IMO.

8. How is he too powerful? I don't get it. He is the leader. Like the president of the church.

9. Im not that fond of the stupid rules that the Vatican proposes, like when to sit, when to stand or kneel, what to do, what to say, what prayers to pray and when. I quite prefer to worship in my own way

10. Pope- Condom use will not prevent aids in africa

world- #$%#ing pope

11. He's right. Condoms alone will not halt the spread of AIDS in Africa. Which I belive were closer to his exact words.

12. Then don't hang around the church. And it's not like the Pope just sits around and comes up with these things all day.

13. I stay at the church because I dont want to upset my mother who attends the same mass. she would begin to worry about my faith or osmething. Ive decided its best to find a new church when Im on my own.

14. mass is a ritual, with its own customs. these customs, as Sled Driver and i have both described a bit in our own rites of the church, are just that- customs. sitting, standing, kneeling... none of that matters of one's salvation, it's just part of the ritual. the prayers in mass are intended for a specific purpose in the mass, so it ought to be understandable why they are part of it. it's good for someone to worship how they choose, IMO, but as a catholic i think it's important to understand the significance and reasons for the mass as we do it.

but keep in mind it's not a god-given thing, but something that has evolved over time into what it is today. tomorrow some things will change, whether that be kneeling, certain prayers said, or orientation of the altar (all things that have changed over the years), so dont take the pope's authority too harsh when it comes to that. that's really not his area of importance.