Supercars that will still be talked about in 15yrs

Discussion in 'Car Comparisons' started by Tipo F130A, Oct 4, 2009.

1. My original title was "Which supercars will still be talked about in 15-20 years?" but this #$%#ing site kept telling me it was too long.

I'm talking about the current selection of supercars, basically anything from this decade as it comes to a close. I got the idea because it seems like the late 80s to early 90s supercars still hold more interest with most people who are into cars than anything since. The supercar generation of the early 2000s seems to be almost out of sight, out of mind. There's plenty of mention of the McLaren F1, F50, F40... but you hardly see anyone still talking about the Carrera GT or Enzo, maybe because they really didn't break new ground as much as offer more refined versions of the existing supercar theme.

So out of this generation, which cars really stand out? What's the McLaren F1 of the 2000s?
    Personally I feel that the Zonda line is the standout here, especially the Zonda F. Now you could argue that like the Carrera GT or Enzo, it's just a more refined version of the same kind of car the F50 was, and it really is. However, it's a car from a small manufacturer with no prior car manufacturing history, it's the brainchild of one man, not a committee, and it takes everything to new levels.
    The Enzo is like a more powerful F50 with eletronics replacing everything that was manual, and the weight that goes with it. The Zonda F is like a more powerful F50 that's lighter, better finished, and just as involving. Rather than being a refinement on the theme of the 90s supercar, it's more like the ultimate expression of the 90s supercar.

Obviously the Veyron has it's place as well, and I'm sure it will still be talked about, just for the sake of being a massive feat of engineering. Setting a lofty goal and a predefined shape, and then using masses of money and know-how to make it happen.

Those are my top picks, what are yours?

2. If it isn't being talked about in 15 years then it isn't a supercar.

3. the McLaren F1

4. I think it's quite funny that the SSC is officially the fastest car ever made and yet you hardly hear about it.

6. Nissan GT-R

7. It will have been replaced by a new version though, so the current one will have been forgotten/won't be talked about I suspect.

The Veyron is definitely a contender for this, even people who don't like cars know of the Veyron.

8. the porsche 917, the porsche 956-962,the dauer 962 lm, the porsche 959, the mac laren f1, the vector avtech wx3, the koenigsegg ccx, the lamborghini diablo sv, the lamborgini countach, the isdera commendatore, the f40, the f50, mac laren f1, audi r8, the ac cobra csx 4000, the jaguar xj 220, the ferrari 330 p4 and the aston martin virage volante.

9. 404: Brain not found

10. I'll agree on the Zonda.

11. Are you retarded?

12. is this new?

13. Bugatti Veyron
    Ferrari Enzo
    Pagani Zonda F
    Koenigsegg CCX(R) (Edition)
    Alfa Romeo 8c Competizione (based on it's beauty)
    AUDI R8

14. It will have been replaced by a new version, but in the meanwhile, USA, Germany and Italy will still be trying to catch up with the current one.

15. Bugatti EB110, McLaren F1, Ferrari F40, Porsche 956/962C (not the Dauer!), Porsche 917, Ferrari 250 GTO, Lamborghini Miura ....

the icones, what else

16. I can't think of too many. At the moment it seems that 15 years will not be enough for the GTR fanbois to STFU. Alfa Romeo 8c will be talked about because true beauty never dies. The Zonda is just too great to forget about and Ferrari and Lamborghini flagship models will always be talked about.

PS: Nice avatar Tipo

17. Zonda F
    Enzo
    Caparo (If they fix it in 15 yrs)
    SL 65 AMG Black
    GT3 RS
    M3 (I know it`s not a supercar)

18. Veyron
    Zonda
    Enzo

I think these will be looked at fondly in 15 years but not compared to the new cars, kinda as the benchmark cars for this generation:
    R8 maybe (would be a definite if they made that badass V12 tdi one)
    GTR
    GT3 RS
    ZR1 prolly
    I think the ACR will be looked back on fondly as the supercar markets wild, demented cousin.

19. I don't get the inclusion of the GT3 RS (as awesome as it is).

Think about it, you mention Porsche 911 to most people, and they think of the Turbo and nothing else.

The GT3/RS is too hardcore and too 'niche' of a car to be remembered by anyone other than us sad #$%#ers in 15 years, and besides, just like the GTR, it will have been replaced.

Hardly anyone talks about the 996 GT3 RS, or the 993 RS, so why would they mention the 997?

I trully think the only cars that will be remembered are either the insanely beautiful ones (like the 8c) or the flagship models of the more famous brands. At least in that sense your top three are guarenteed.

20. What 911 do we think of fromm the past? The most hardcore, like the Carrera RS, 930, etc.

21. Off the top of my head,
    MB 300SL Gullwing
    Ford GT40
    Ferrari 250GTO
    Lamborghini Miura
    Aston Martin DB5

Edit : Oooppssss! Didn't read the whole first post.

22. McLaren F1
    Ferrari F40
    Lamborghini Countach 5000 QV
    Bugatti Veyron
    Pagani Zonda

these are classics.