Supercharger Kits for 4.3litre V6?

Discussion in 'Modified / Tuned Cars' started by Panzer, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Supercharge Kits for 4.3litre V6?

Anyone know of a good kit for the Chevy 4.3l Vortec V6, and what kind of power numbers one could expect out of it? I haven't been finding much information, even less about cost/power gains.

If I keep my truck, then I want to supercharge it once the warranty expires, otherwise I might just buy a newer model down the line if the cost/benefit is not worth the hassle.

2. #2 Walperstyle, Nov 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Vortech Has one I believe. I do not have first hand experience on this engine. But the principal should be similar to most others.

Remember if you go supercharger, or turbo, you also should upgrade your fuel system, and more importantly the computer needs to know whats going on, or it may get confused and run like crap.

Your best bet is to find a chev truck forum and FSM to find out what ECU you have and what is available for it, where your fuel maxes out (injectors and pump), and what to expect your weak points to be internally. Some engines just simply were not designed to go above 350hp without major overhaul.

edit: to answer your power numbers, that all depends on what I listed above. Better to know what you want for a power goal first. More fuel, more air better ignition = better power. Also look into adding some cams too. Cams might be dirt cheap for your engine too. Remember, you cant expect a lot of power for just throwing on a supercharger. SO, get an Idea of what you want for a power goal first if you dont want to go in and build the internals.

edit2: good read, http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/113_0210_43l_chevy_v6_vortechs_supercharger_install/index.html

3. I dont know if your engine is a hand-me-down of the old blazer engine, but if it is I found this on a chev forum. Remember, thats just the cost of the supercharger. No tune, no fuel upgrade, nothing.

"Powerdyne or Wynjammer The Wynjammer will work as long as you don't have air injection (k18) Powerdyne makes kits for trucks with or without Air Injection. AIR injection require powerdyne kits with headers and are available for 2WD or 4wd blazers. if you don't have AIR injection Powerdyne kit (K10528-101) Works for Non-AIR injection trucks, and that is the kit I am running. $2475.00 + Shipping and Wynjammer is 2500.00 + Shipping."

4. With this route at the very most I hope to get horsepower to 300, and the V6 is from a 06 Silverado. So its essentially the Blazer V6 but with a different computer setup. Right now stock HP is rated at 200hp and 260ft-lb, and im not looking for a hotrod, but something more suited for the highway. If I dont trade in the truck in a couple years for a V8 model then I will want more power, and im just looking at cost/benefit right now.

5. Why not remote mount turbo?

6. Because he already dumped the truck, of course.

7. I can't believe GM still uses that motor.

8. Totally worth changing vehicles. Lower insurance, and Ill just pick up a V8 model later on. The V6 is totally not worth the savings, even in the city with good gearing.

9. generally when you get a bunch of wizards together to design an engine, the amount of money involved to produce it requires usually 10+ years of use to let it generate some kind of profit.

10. The 4.3 v-6 has been around for almost 30 years and it's based on a 1950s v-8 that was obsolete even then.

11. I'm pretty sure they don't anymore.

12. I did not know the design was that old. Can you imagine how horrible those old v6's were having to haul around cars that weighed as much as a m113.

My dad was born in 39, and he was lucky where as the family car was an old Desoto Firedome that just happened to have the concept hemi engines, but even then, the hottest engine around was so slow compared to todays average engine. But I guess when he was in his early teens, that was plenty fast. I can only imagine how horrible the other engines were hauling around the same heavy cars. I cant for the life of me remember the v6 cars he owned, but I know he didnt keep them long, nor ever really talked about them, lol.

pic of one of the old farm cars from the 50s

13. The 4.3 V-6 is still standard in the Silverado 1500

In the 50s it started as a 4.3 V-8, they didn't channel 2 cylinders out of the middle to make a V-6 until the late 70s.

It's a sad little lump that likes to rattle apart because the banks are not lined up properly for a V-6. In ~93 they started uses a balance shaft to try and keep it together with little success. The crank is very weak because of offset they added to make it work in a 90 degree block.

A non offset race crank was made in the 80s but it required 2 cylinders to fire at a time and the whole car vibrated to much for anybody but a drag racer.

Like I tell everybody with a 4.3 V-6 or 3.1/3.4 GM fwd, sell it while it runs and buy something else.

14. Ok, first the 4.3 is basically a 350(5.7) less 2 cyl. I have had several and have had very good luck with all, one in a full size van I used for work that had 287K miles and use no oil between changes when I totaled it. Right now I have an 89 S 10 2wd with a 93 4.3 balance shaft, 500cfm Holley, 65K distributor and 5spd... It eats big blocks. I had a 455 GTO years ago, oil eating rattle knocking POS...doesn't mean they all are. As for the SB Chevy being outdated in the fifties, I'm sure that's why they have continued to be the most sought after, supported and raced engine in history. So take your outdated 455 boat anchor that was built for what...maybe a decade and add oil.

15. Jesus christ. This thread is like 4 cars old now. Fail of a bump.

16. When the sbc came out it wasn't even close to the performance of engines Chrysler, Ford, Cadillac, Oldsmobile, ect already had in their cars years earlier. The Chevy got the most aftermarket parts because people were so desperate to keep up in traffic. Then they got another pile of parts when Nascar forced teams into small blocks to SLOW the cars down.