Sweet but Weak

Discussion in '2000 Lotus Elise 111S' started by jusgimmiesomeslack, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Those are the only two words I can come up with when I see this car. I have the car pasted all over my desktop but now that I know it's only 122 hp and has a top speed of only 124 mph I'm going to have to find a new car. This car is alot like the new 2002 Mazda Miata, a nice, smooth new look but no balls. This car is pretty fast for what it has but put at least a 300 hp engine in it! Dang! Lotus' Esprit is 350 hp and the old Elise was 190 hp. You'd think that they would make it stronger than 122 hp. Basically what Lotus did to this car is give it a nice makeover but a weaker heart. They took the phat from the heart and transfered it to its outer shell.<!-- Signature -->

2. Re: Sweet but Weak

u are joking right?
    The old Lotus Elise had 118bhp.....this is an upgrade!
    Your thinking of the Elise 190 special edition!
    And putting a 300bhp in a Lotus is just plain stupid!
    For one the Lotus Elise is not a car built for top speed or to have monster power(that's TVR's job) but it is built for it's handling and agility, if you were a proper car fan you would have known this but your not and you've gone for the old American theory that more power means a better car.......which again is just wrong!
    The new Lotus Elise is widely renowned as the best handling and drivers car out there at the moment, and at only £22 grand you expect a 300bhp engine?
    0-60mph is 5.5 secs is not slow and wipes the floor with nearly all competing roadsters especially the Boxster!
    So before you go saying that it is underpowered remember it's tiny and I mean tiny weight coupled with it's brilliant handling!
    A turbo upgrade is avalable for around £3 grand more which takes it over 200bhp and a 0-60mph time of less that 5secs.
    So I say again that you show no your facts before you bad mouth a great car!<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: Sweet but Weak

do u know how small that car is<!-- Signature -->

4. Re: Sweet but Weak

It is weak, but the chassy is too nice to alter for a bigger engine.<!-- Signature -->

5. Re: Sweet but Weak

I really feel bad for jus...whatever your name is. This is an awesome car, it is not built for top speeds, and it is not built to have an impressive power output. The elise is meant to re-invent the no frills driving pleasure of past Lotus'. By no frills I mean the enjoyment factor is off the scale, but the extras list is not. So if all you are looking for is top speeds and power outputs, buy a V8 or something, but good luck trying to keep up with one of these through the hills.<!-- Signature -->

6. Re: Sweet but Weak

the lotus has better braking then a Porsche Gt3 supercup, it might not be as fast but it is extremely good at handling and braking. I would bet anyone that the $35,000 elise would beat a $250,000 lamborghini at laguna seca

7. Re: Sweet but Weak

This car is ganna have 190 horses when it come to America without having it as a special edition. It will also have a six speed. Faster acceleration and top speed. Also this car is made for cornering, handling, and acceleration not top speed. It will beat a ton of cars on a track that is all corners and really little corners.

8. Re: Sweet but Weak

The Elise is a sweet looking, and handling car...but it does NEED more power! At least to be on my list of cars it does. How can you enjoy great handling without powerfull acceleration? Sure its got a good 0-60 time, but it poops out after that (I am assuming when it hits 3rd gear). In an average coarse my Camaro could probably take it, based on acceleration. I can still corner very fast. Obviously not nearly as fast, but still quite fast. If the coarse got too windy then it would shourly own, esp a camaro.
    But trouthfully I have not ever found a road to match the performance levels of even my Camaro. I know roads are more windy in europe, which is you you guys like the better handling more. But I have never found a road that winds a lot, where I actually had to slow down to 60mph. I can do a near right angle turn at about 50 with no problem or squeal of the tires.
    My point? Handling like the Elise's is great, but exessive. When will you ever use it to its potential? Who the hell has the guts to use it to its TRUE potential, esp on regular roads. I would gladly reduce its handling by 10% for a 50% bonus in power (wich would cost the same or less). And it is not like it wouldn't be hard to make more powerfull. A frikking Saturn SL2 has better hp/liter than that. Not that hp/liter is very important, but you are serious about keeping the wieght down with a 1.8L engine, at least do something to it to give it 200hp. Turbo, Supercharge, whatever it takes. If it had 200+ hp, I would certainly make it a candidate for buying (assuming I could ever find one).
    Other than that its gonna be another F-Body, S2000, or Subaru WRX. The F-Bodies being the fastest in the price range(and now more collectable) will be my most likely choice.<!-- Signature -->

9. Re: Sweet but Weak

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from jusgimmiesomeslack</i>
    <b>Those are the only two words I can come up with when I see this car. I have the car pasted all over my desktop but now that I know it's only 122 hp and has a top speed of only 124 mph I'm going to have to find a new car. This car is alot like the new 2002 Mazda Miata, a nice, smooth new look but no balls. This car is pretty fast for what it has but put at least a 300 hp engine in it! Dang! Lotus' Esprit is 350 hp and the old Elise was 190 hp. You'd think that they would make it stronger than 122 hp. Basically what Lotus did to this car is give it a nice makeover but a weaker heart. They took the phat from the heart and transfered it to its outer shell.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->OK, you take your 300 horsepower car I'll take this. But, guess what? This does better 0-60 times than most 300 horsepower cars. Best handling in the world. Braking distances from 60 in under 100 feet. So you take your Stang or whatever the hell you choose while the rest of us w/ brains take this and run circles around you. Miata? Wow, this car beats a Miata by like 2 seconds from 0-60, has better handling, better braking, better looks, etc. I'm not seeing the similarity, ass.

10. Re: Sweet but Weak

No kidding! I saw this car and I have to say, from the start, it was one of THE COOLEST looking. Too bad if you kick it in the crotch, it won't even flinch . . .

11. Re: Sweet but Weak

I think the 'Jus' guy has been slated enough... lol

This is one of my fav cars around.. and i'm aiming to own a second hand model in 3 years time...

The cheapest used model going at the mo if for about £9k....

and the best bit is that it has a better MPG than my Toyata Coralla 1.6i Exec....!!!!

take that and add the 0-60 time of under 6sec... and the Louts badge!!!

What more could you ask for?

12. Re: Sweet but Weak

This car does need more power, and a turbo is just the thing. Maybe an intercooler, too. It won't throw the balance of the car off that bad, and if it does, tune it. That's the fun of working on your car. That's what it's all about.

13. Re: Sweet but Weak

I was thinking about this.... this rover engine won't pass US regulations from what I have heard... so what you need is a small light weight engine with a fair bit of power.... How much does a Mazda Rotary weight? the 95 RX-7 looks to be a 1.3L engine, with a turbo on it for 250+ hp...

painkiller

14. Re: Sweet but Weak

The Lotus in America with the Type-R engine is slower than a regular elise to 60, which has less power!!!!! They need to find a new engine, preferbly something European. As for the Elise is Europe, hands-down my favourite car. The 190hp one will dust cars with twice as much power, off the line, and through the turns. In Italy, the elise starts at 29,000Euro!!!!! Is there a better buy out there??? It can be compared to the Corvetter Z06 in America, which is also way cheaper than anything that even comes close to it in performance. If your like me and love dragracing, this car can be made to run up with fastest...my cousins friends' is running 11's, not sure how much power it has though. I love this car!!!!!!!!!!

15. Re: Sweet but Weak

Yes, the zero to sixty of the type-r powered elise is slower than a stock elise, but that is because the higher revving engine acts like longer gearing. If lowered the gear ratios a little, it would blow the doors off a viper. Also the in gear acceleration is alot higher that a stock elise.

16. Re: Sweet but Weak

Dolby,

oh dear, oh dear. This is a tragic day. I wonder if people like you understand anything about momentum and dynamics. The Elise is a little underpowered, but nothing like as bad as you believe. How can I say this? I own one. I drive it every day.

Let me give you an example - I will be quicker in my Elise because driving is not all about top speed and acceleration. With the Elise I can carry more speed into bends, brake later, turn in quicker, and get on the power earlier on exit. How do I know this? because I have compared it - tried the same course in my 120bhp Elise and in my GF's Mercedes SLK230K (2.3 litre, 200bhp, supercharged) In one corner alone, I was 2 seconds quicker.

There are supercharged and turbo charged Elises out there, with around 160-220bhp - good cars all, but the normally aspirated 'tweaked' stock engined versions are the best - quickest, most responsive, and best balanced.

To say this car needs more power having never driven it is drivel. More power does not mean better car. If you want to sacrifice handling for power increases, go ahead. It is pure idiocy in the case of this car, but highly amusing nonetheless.

PS - enjoyed the 90 degree turn at 50 comment - Have you told Newton? It seems you (and your tyres) have your own personal gravity field. Get on a plane and fly to France. Get a hire car and go to the Alps - try a couple of hairpin bends with 1,000ft drops to the side and prove your magical handling abilities ;-)