Techno Classica Essen 2007

Discussion in 'Events' started by ajzahn, Apr 4, 2007.

  1. #1 ajzahn, Apr 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Last Sunday the gates of the 2007 Techno Classica closed on an event that featured over 1,000 exhibitors and more than 2,500 cars for sale. All of great interest to the 154,300 visitors – and the reporting team from Classic Driver.

    In addition to the dealers and trade stands there was the traditional presence of motor clubs, as well as usual big participation by the major German motor manufacturers, all using the event to showcase the breadth of their heritage. BMW were firmly established in Hall 12, with a display in the form of the company’s famous ‘four-cylinder’ HQ in Munich. Its classic division, BMW Mobile Tradition, was showing some of the famous cars and motorcycles of its past, from the BMW 303 to the very latest hydrogen-powered 7-Series. There were also separate displays for Rolls-Royce and MINI, both of course owned by the Bavarian marque.

    Similarly, the Volkswagen group was showing historic models from Audi, Bentley, Horch, Lamborghini, Skoda and VW. While Bentley had a display of more modern models, Lamborghini were working with the International Lamborghini Owners Club, and one of the cars featured was the very last Countach produced. Audi was focusing on its rally successes with the immortal Quattro, as well as its luxury history via the Horch brand.

    Audi were also showing their allegiance to the Tazio Nuvolari event in Italy. And speaking of which, Ferrari had a big stand under the ‘Ferrari Classiche’ banner, demonstrating how important it is for older models to be checked for authenticity to not only prove their originality, but also get the very best performance out of the cars from Maranello. Porsche had many older 911s, and Mercedes-Benz brought its large luxury cabriolets from the past, as well as the study based on the new S-Class called the "Ocean Drive".

    Naturally the Techno Classica is also an important meeting place for dealers and collectors. It’s the occasion where the big traders pick their best stock to show to a discerning European audience. Interestingly, in 2007, there were few Mercedes-Benz 300SL ‘Gullwings’ on display – normally a staple model at Essen. The reason could well be that the value of these cars (now some 500,000 EURO for a good example) has grown to such an extent that the market is that much more limited. They’re not a purchase collectors make ‘on impulse’. Gullwings apart, there were plenty of other vehicles suitable for the Classic Driver, like the ‘matching pair’ on Thiesen's stand of a yellow Bizzarrini 5300 GT America (Race) and a blue Bizzarrini 5300 GT Stradale – the latter selling on the opening day.

    There was a lot of interest on dealers Steenbuck-Automobiles who had travelled all the way down from Northern Germany. One of the star cars on their stand was the 1959 Ferrari 250 GT, an interesting and rare example with its unique bonnet scoop and extravagantly designed grilles behind the front wheels, just one of three cars built in this manner.

    Another Classic Driver dealer, Michael Brinkert, was showing a white 1986 Lamborghini Countach 5000 S QV as well as his usual speciality, a couple of classic Aston Martins. In effect, the Essen Show is his ‘home fair’ as his showroom is almost ‘round the corner.

    Every year at Techno Classica there’s something to surprise. This time it was on the stand of French Porsche specialist Benoit Couturier who specialises in one-off prototypes of the marque and one-such was the racing transporter based on a VW ‘Bully’, but treated in the same way as the famous Mercedes-Benz high-speed racing transporter of the 1950s. On its flat back was a Porsche 550 Spyder. Talking of the famous Stuttgart sports car maker, there were so many 911s on display at Essen this year it must have been some sort of record.

    For rare racing Porsches, Jan B. Luehn's stand was the place to be. On display was not only the yellow 1988 Japanese championship-winning 962C, but also a Porsche 907 that can be driven on the road. Just to even things up, Luehn also had the last-ever Lola Can Am car built, a T310 that had, until recently, been in the famous Rosso Bianco Collection. Some British dealers and auction houses made the trip to Germany, Peter Byrne had a magnificent pre-War Bentley, as well as a genuine ‘Coombs’ Jaguar Mk II and a Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost, while auctioneers Coys were publicising their next German sale on 21st April. RM Auctions, in association with Sotheby’s, had the May Maranello Ferrari Sale uppermost in their minds, the centrepiece of their stand being several early entries including the 1962 Le Mans-winning Ferrari 330 TRI/LM.


    >>> www.classicdriver.com/uk/magazine/3700.asp?id=13339
     
  2. BMW AT TECHNO CLASSICA: HIGHLIGHTS FROM 90 YEARS OF HISTORY.
    03/27/2007

    The BMW brand is celebrating its 90th birthday at the Techno Classica 2007. Selected highlights, such as the BMW 507 and the BMW Turbo study, provide impressive evidence of technological expertise, ground-breaking design and innovative power as traditional mainstays of the brand. The cars, motorcycles and aero engines on show span the entire history of BMW - from the BMW IV aero engine to today's BMW M6. Plus, BMW Group Mobile Tradition charts the history of the company's Convertibles from the 1930s to the new BMW 3 Series Convertible under the banner "Bracing Breeze Worldwide. BMW 3 Series Convertibles."

    Munich. The BMW brand is celebrating its 90th birthday at the Techno Classica 2007 show. Together with the MINI Clubs and BMW Clubs, the BMW Group is once again presenting its three brands in Hall 12 at the world's largest vintage car show, which runs from 29th March to 1st April. Awaiting visitors is a multi-faceted exhibition which includes some 70 vehicles from throughout the history of the Group.

    90 years of innovation

    The main theme of the BMW stand this year is the brand's 90th birthday. One of the cars on view at the Techno Classica is the BMW 303, which was the first BMW model to sport the hallmark BMW kidney design and represented the brand's entry into mid-range car construction in the 1930s. The BMW 303 also laid the foundations for the long tradition of BMW in-line six-cylinder engines.

    The next chapter in this sporting tradition is presented at the Techno Classica in the shape of the BMW 327/328 Coupé, the first genuine sports coupé from BMW. The long front end and smoothly sloping rear - not to mention the car's sporty 80-hp engine - captured the imagination of press and public alike from the outset.

    Another highlight from the history of Bayerische Motoren Werke is the BMW 507, whose design was the work of Albrecht Graf Goertz and whose 150-hp V8 engine made it one of the sportiest roadsters of its time. Between 1955 and 1959 this exclusive car found 251 select owners. Many car enthusiasts still rank it as one of the most beautiful BMW models of all time. Today, the BMW 507 is among the most coveted and valuable vintage cars on the market.

    After the Second World War, the "New Class" - and specifically the BMW 1800 TI/SA - continued the tradition established by BMW's pre-war cars with its typical BMW attributes of quality and sportiness. The self-supporting all-steel body, McPherson-strut front suspension and diagonal swing rear axle set new standards in the 1960s and demonstrated once again the innovative power of Bayerische Motoren Werke.

    BMW has taken on the status of a technological leader, driving developments forwards and demonstrating a firm commitment to innovations which both provide benefits for customers and reinforce the claim of the brand. In 1972 BMW caused quite a stir with its BMW Turbo study - a technological nerve centre packed with innovations which have since gradually found their way into series production and are now fundamental elements of today's cars. The BMW Turbo introduced the automotive world of the early 1970s to new directions in passive safety, design and, not least, driver assistant systems.

    At the same time, BMW began development of an internal combustion engine which could be powered by hydrogen. BMW is showing its first hydrogen car at the Techno Classica - a BMW 520, whose four-cylinder powerplant could run on hydrogen by the late 1970s. Last year the brand presented a milestone in hydrogen technology in the form of the BMW Hydrogen7.

    However, before BMW enjoyed its initial breakthrough as a car-maker, innovative technology and sporting success had already secured its motorcycles an international reputation and worldwide popularity. Like the brand's cars, BMW motorcycles were often ahead of their time. In 1923, while its rivals were still basing their designs heavily on bicycles, BMW presented the R32 - a motorbike that not only celebrated sporting glory but also boasted impressive styling, thanks to its construction as if cut "from a single mould".

    In 1938 the 60-hp BMW Kompressor was Europe's most successful racing machine, with a top speed of 210 km/h. Indeed, the bike's inherent power soon propelled BMW works rider Georg Meier to the European Championship title.

    In 1951 the high maximum speed and impressive equipment levels of the sporting BMW R68 underlined the ambitions of the Munich-based brand to return to the global summit. It was known, with a certain awe, as the "Rolls Royce of motorcycles".

    BMW is showing the R75/5 at the Techno Classica - a representative of the /5 series, which helped the company to inject ground-breaking impetus into the world of motorcycling in the late 1960s and build on the brand's tradition as a pioneering force in motorcycle construction. With innovative new features, such as light-alloy cylinders and a crankshaft forged from a single part, the R75/5 - produced from 1969 to 1973 - set new technical standards in motorcycle construction.

    The sensation of 1988 was the BMW K1, presented at the IFMA show in Cologne that September. At last BMW now had its long-awaited four-valve super-sports model on the road. The design of the BMW K1, as well as its raft of new technical features, pointed the way to the future.

    BMW is bridging the gap to the 21st century at the Techno Classica with the K 1200 R. Presented in 2005, the "high-end muscle bike" is still the world's most powerful naked bike. With its state-of-the-art four-cylinder engine developing 163 hp/120 kW, a chassis set up without compromise to deliver peerless, awe-inspiring dynamics, innovations such as Duolever and ESA, and an advanced power supply, the K 1200 R represents the clear benchmark in the high-performance sports roadster segment.

    On road and off, BMW motorcycles have tasted success in every type of competition over the last eight decades. From the R37, R5 and R68 to the latest K 1200 R, the transfer of technical expertise from racing to series production allows BMW Motorrad to constantly channel this dynamic prowess into its volume models. Digital engine electronics, ABS and closed-loop catalytic converters are all BMW innovations, as are single-sided swing arm rear suspension and telelever front-wheel suspension.

    BMW Motorsport

    BMW road cars also reap the benefits of technology bred for motor sport. At the Techno Classica show, racing machines like this year's BMW Sauber F1.07 Formula One contender and the BMW 320i WTCC - the victorious car in the 2005 World Touring Car Championship - forge a link between the race track and the road. The BMW 328 Kamm coupé, meanwhile, reveals the roots of motor sport. The car was named after Professor Wunibald Kamm, a pioneer in aerodynamics. Prof. Kamm was a key figure in the design of the body for this racing sports car, which was built specially for the Mille Miglia 1940. The 328 Kamm coupe was ahead of its time, and not just because of its space frame and aluminium body. Cajoling the standard 80-hp production engine into developing 136 hp for the racing car was a fine achievement. And an overall weight of 760 kg is still impressively light by today's standards.

    Bracing Breeze Worldwide. BMW 3 Series Convertibles.

    Distinctive design, a unique identity and undiluted dynamics are the stand-out virtues of the open-top BMW 3 Series. And BMW Mobile Tradition is celebrating the launch of the new 3 Series Convertible with its "Bracing Breeze Worldwide. BMW 3 Series Convertibles." campaign highlighting the development and success of the 3 Series Convertible. One of the BMW models on show at the Techno Classica is the founding father of the brand's sporty Convertible tradition. The BMW 315 drop-top saloon represented the company's first car capable of reaching the then magical 100 km/h-mark back in 1936.

    Another model at the BMW stand is a 320/6 Baur Targa, a Topcabriolet version of the BMW 3 Series with roll-over bar supplied by the Baur company. This allowed Baur to offer open-top driving pleasure in a BMW 3 Series at a time when there was no convertible version available from the factory. Today, the Baur Convertible conversions are sought-after collector's items.

    Meanwhile, BMW Mobile Tradition has come up with a collector's item of a very different kind to mark the 30th birthday of the BMW 3 Series Convertible: an original Bubmobil model of a BMW Baur Convertible in a limited run of 700 units.

    BMW has pursued an uncompromising commitment to the design excellence of the 3 Series Convertibles since day one. Making concessions in form to serve the interests of mechanics has always been anathema to the open-top 3, and never more so than in the case of the first works-built BMW 3 Series Convertible of 1986. In 1988 BMW brought an M3 Convertible onto the market for the first time as a treat for speed merchants with a soft spot for softtops. The new model was powered by a 200-hp four-cylinder powerplant and is also on display at the Techno Classica.

    The new BMW 3 Series Convertible, launched in 2007 at the North American International Auto Show (NAIAS), continued the tradition built up by these sporty and elegant cars. The flat shoulderline, set-back seating position and short windscreen ensure man and nature are never far apart. An automatically folding hardtop roof, meanwhile, is celebrating its 3 Series Convertible premiere, and is fitted as standard in place of the softtop construction of previous models.

    Parts supply has traditionally been included in the BMW stand and this year is no different. A BMW Z1 is used as an example of how the company supports brand aficionados and collectors of BMW vehicles. As every year, representatives from the BMW Group Archives are on hand to answer visitors' questions about the history of the brand and the company. And for those waiting impatiently for the new BMW Museum to open its doors, BMW Mobile Tradition has put together a model of the Museum complex.

    As every year, the BMW Clubs set up at the show alongside the brand's own stand. This year's theme of "Recent Classics" showcases vehicles from the past three decades. Lovingly cared for by their owners, these models from the brand's relatively recent past are on the way to becoming highly desirable vintage cars.
     
  3. Ferrari at the Techno-Classica 2007

    Essen (Germany), 28th March 2007 - Ferrari will be represented at the Techno-Classica 2007 by a stand dedicated entirely to Ferrari Classiche, a specialist division set up in Maranello to provide owners of historic Prancing Horse cars with restoration, maintenance, assistance services. The Ferrari Classiche division also issues Authenticity Certificates.

    Based in the original old factory building, Ferrari Classiche opened its doors in the summer of 2006 and has since become a major player in the protection of the unique Ferrari heritage. In fact, it has already received 496 certification requests (308 of which have already issued) and has repaired a total of 84 cars at its workshop (this included 12 complete restorations).
    Ferrari Classiche's plans for the future include a wider presence across the world, starting with Europe and North America. In fact, the intention is to have a total of 17 Ferrari Classic Certification Centres opened by the end of the year.

    Since Ferrari's earliest days, its cars have enjoyed cult status and have been eagerly sought after by collectors the world over. This is why one of the main functions of the Ferrari Classiche Division is to issue Certificates of Authenticity to road-going Ferraris of 20 years old and over as well as to all of Prancing Horse competition cars, including Formula 1 single-seaters, regardless of the year they were built. The certification document officially attests to the cars' authenticity and also provides a further guarantee for buyers should the certified vehicles ever be sold on.

    During the certification process, the cars undergo a very careful inspection in the Ferrari Classiche division in Maranello or at specially authorised centres throughout the world. Using Ferrari's extensive historic archive, a special committee of experts known as COCER (Certification Committee) chaired by Vice president of Ferrari SpA, Piero Ferrari will evaluate the technical characteristics of each individual car put forward for certification. The technical examination of the car is the most important step in the process as it reveals whether the car is fully functioning, and whether its chassis, engine, gearbox, transmission, suspension, brakes, wheels, bodywork and interiors are original or at least comply with the original specifications.

    If any non-original mechanical parts are discovered, the car may still be restored to its original authentic condition as Ferrari Classiche can, on request, supply spares conforming to the original specifications and manufactured using the original designs and specialist machinery either directly at Ferrari or by its official suppliers.
    The manufacture and supply of original components is all a part of Ferrari Classiche's renovation and maintenance work where the aim is always to save the Prancing Horse's historic models.

    The fact that Ferrari Classiche's services provide exceptional satisfaction to our clients is clear from the fact that increasing numbers of owners opt to travel to the division headquarters in Maranello to pick up their restored cars personally. The long list of messages of appreciation for our dedicated technicians' highly professional work, left by clients in the client comments book at Ferrari Classiche, also speaks for itself.

    Ferrari will be organising a wide range of activities and events for classic cars for 2007 also. The Shell Ferrari Historic Challenge Europe and North America will be staged once again. Last year there was an average of 80 cars participating during the 10 rounds held throughout the season. The weekend of March 31st to April 1st marks the start of the European series at Mugello as part of the 1st Mugello Historic Festival.
    Ferrari will then pay homage to the Mille Miglia on 17th-19th May with the original 315 S in which Piero Taruffi won the very last edition of the legendary Italian race in 1957. The Ferrari Legend and Passion auction organised by RM Auctions in collaboration with Sotheby's takes place on May 20th in Maranello and will feature some of the most famous Prancing Horse models of all time, including a 340 MM (1953) and a 275 GTB4 (1966) in addition to a wide selection of memorabilia.

    The finale of the Ferrari 60 Relay, which will have visited five continents en route to Maranello, will include the Concours d'Elegance Ferrari 60 on Sunday 24th of June at the Fiorano Circuit.

    A total of 80 Grand Tourers (12-cylinders up to the early 1970s and special series) and Sports Prototypes will be competing for the Best of Show and other awards.

    This event will be preceded by the Ferrari 60 Classic Tour which is being held on Friday June 22nd and will take participants along the route traditionally used by the Prancing Horse's test drivers. There will also be an official parade of the cars competing with a public vote on Saturday June 23rd, once again at the Fiorano Circuit.
     
  4. * Anniversary: "75 Years of the Four Rings"
    * Premieres: DKW 3=6 "Rallye Monte Carlo" edition, Audi 80 rally version and Audi 80 touring car

    At the 19th Techno Classica Essen show being held from 29 March - 1 April 2007, Audi Tradition is once again exhibiting in Hall 7 where its stand revolves around the brand's "75 Years of the Four Rings" anniversary. Audi Tradition has also chosen this international classic car show as the backdrop for the public unveiling of three recently restored and extremely rare motor sport cars � all from the pre-quattro era. Also present on the Audi stand again are the Audi museum mobile Ingolstadt, the August Horch Museum Zwickau and the Audi Club International (ACI) as the umbrella organisation of the Audi clubs and of all clubs of the predecessor brands.

    The history of Audi is one of the most diverse in automotive history. In 1932, the four brands of Audi, DKW, Horch and Wanderer amalgamated to form Auto Union AG, with the symbol of the four rings as the company emblem. This merger made Auto Union Germany's second-largest car manufacturer in the 1930s. The wide-ranging brand portfolio that was synonymous with the four rings at that time is represented in Essen by the following exhibits: the exclusive Horch 670 Sport Cabriolet with 12-cylinder engine (120 bhp at 3200 rpm) from 1932, the nippy two-seater DKW F5 Roadster (20 bhp at 3500 rpm) from 1937, the sporty and elegant Wanderer W 25 K Roadster (85 bhp at 4000 rpm) from 1938, as well as a best-selling model from 1939, the Audi 920 Cabriolet with a 6-cylinder in-line engine (75 bhp at 3000 rpm). Rekindling memories of DKW's motorcycle glory days, meanwhile, is the DKW UL 700 sidecar combination from 1936: this was the year that this very combination won the German Championship, before going one better in 1937 and taking both the German and the European Championships.

    At the 19th Techno Classica, Audi Tradition is showcasing three motor sport rarities from the time before Audi quattro turned rally sport on its head: the winner of the 1954 European Rally Championship, the "Rallye Monte Carlo" edition of the DKW 3=6 Sonderklasse F 91, the Audi 80 GLE Group 2 rally version from 1979, as well as the Audi 80 GLE, winner of the 1980 European Touring Car Championship.

    In 1953, Auto Union GmbH premiered its new DKW 3=6 Sonderklasse F 91 model (34 bhp at 4000 rpm) at the Frankfurt Motor Show. With its three-cylinder two-stroke engine, the newcomer proved tremendously popular in Germany, with 72,600 being built in a variety of body types between 1953 and 1955. After a series of thrilling wins � including victory in its class at the Monte Carlo Rally � the car's debut motor sport season came to a sensational finale when ace DKW drivers Walter Schl�ter, Gustav Menz and Heinz Meier made it a one-two-three for the DKW Sonderklasse in the 1954 "European Championship for Standard-production Touring Cars". The models that raced in the rallies of 1954 were broadly similar to the standard-production saloon, leaving little doubt as to this model's performance potential. Incidentally, the three-cylinder DKW Sonderklasse also enjoyed great success when it participated in Europe's most prestigious long-distance speed trial, the Mille Miglia, in 1954 and 1955, finishing as the fastest touring car in the sub-1000 cc category to take the "Coppa argento grandissima". The "Rallye Monte Carlo" edition that Audi Tradition is exhibiting in Essen was rebuilt by classic car specialists "Oldtimer Klassik" from Hradec Kralove in the Czech Republic, using original documents from the Auto Union's motor sport department.

    In 1979, Audi competed in a total of 10 European and World Rally Championship races with the second generation of its Audi 80 GLE rally version. The 1600 cc engine under the bonnet of this front-wheel-drive car transmitted 160 bhp to the wheels at 7600 rpm and reached a top speed of 205 km/h. The rally version of the Audi 80 on show at the Techno Classica is a works car that Harald Demuth and Freddy Kottulinsky piloted in the European and World Rally Championship races. This forerunner of a glorious rally era was restored by sms engineering GmbH from Cadolzburg in Germany, the same company which worked together with Audi on its rally cars back in 1979.

    Another Audi 80 that made a name for itself in the motor sport arena is making its public debut in Essen: this circuit version of the Audi 80 GLE from 1980 is the same as that driven by Hans Joachim Nowak and Willi Bergmeister in the European Touring Car Championship. The car is based on one of the original bodies that were specially built for motor racing at Audi's Ingolstadt plant. This contemporary witness to the formative years of motor sport at Audi has now been rebuilt by Astec GmbH from Forchheim in Germany. The 1600 cc engine with front-wheel drive developing 194 bhp at 7500 rpm was good for a top speed of 230 km/h. Although the Audi cars competing in the circuit events were raced exclusively by private drivers, the successful teams of Bergmeister/Nowak and Seikel/Trint were supported by Audi works. After finishing as runners-up in 1979, they emerged victorious in 1980 to give Audi its first ever European Touring Car Championship title.

    For collectors of automotive rarities, the Audi Tradition team will also be offering a range of appealing lifestyle articles and exclusive model cars from the traditional brands of Audi, DKW, Horch, Wanderer, Auto Union and NSU. Visitors to this year's classic car show in Essen also have the opportunity to buy a limited-edition 1:87 scale model of the DKW 3=6 "Rallye Monte Carlo".

    Attachment: the Audi Tradition list of events for 2007

    The four rings of the Audi badge symbolise the brands Audi, DKW, Horch and Wanderer, which were later combined under the umbrella of Auto Union. Auto Union and NSU, which merged in 1969, made many significant contributions towards the development of the car. AUDI AG was formed from Audi NSU Auto Union AG in 1985.

    Together with the two traditional companies Auto Union GmbH and NSU GmbH, Audi Tradition nurtures and presents the deep and diverse history of Audi. The Audi museum mobile at the Audi Forum Ingolstadt is open from Monday to Sunday, from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
     
  5. ROLLS-ROYCE MARKS SILVER GHOST CENTENARY AT TECHNO CLASSICA

    Rolls-Royce Motor Cars will today mark the centenary of the Silver Ghost at Techno Classica 2007 in Essen, Germany.

    In 1907 the Silver Ghost name was born when Rolls-Royce managing director, Claude Johnson, silver plated the fittings of a ‘40/50’ Rolls-Royce and painted the coachwork silver. Making an immediate impact, the car quickly became known as The Silver Ghost, reflecting the car’s virtual silent running as well as it’s appearance. The name was later adopted for all the 40/50hp cars manufactured between 1907 and 1925.

    This car was also responsible for building the reputation of Rolls-Royce to manufacture the most reliable motor car in the world. In May 1907 Johnson, under RAC observation, drove the car to Scotland and back using just one gear. The Silver Ghost covered the 2000 mile route with no problems and later, Johnson and a team of drivers motored effortlessly up and down Britain for almost 15,000 miles virtually non-stop, without any breakdowns and smashing the existing record of 7,089 miles. The car was awarded a gold medal by the RAC and secured a place in history.

    Described as ‘The Worlds Greatest Classic Car Show’, the 19th Techno Classica event is the perfect stage for Rolls-Royce to launch centenary celebrations. Over 150,000 visitors will get the chance to view two unique motor cars:

    - 1920 Silver Ghost , chassis manufactured in Manchester, England, body built in Germany for a French customer
    - 1923 Silver Ghost, produced in the Rolls-Royce manufacturing plant in Springfield, Massachusetts, coach built by Brewster in New York
    The cars are on display from 29 March to 1 April in hall 12, on the BMW Group Mobile Tradition stand.

    Other Silver Ghost centenary celebrations include a display at Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d´Este, Italy, in April and a re-enactment of the Scottish Reliability trial starting from the company’s manufacturing plant at Goodwood in May.
     

Share This Page