Tesla Model S

Discussion in 'American Cars' started by american cars r king, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Also, you'll notice quite a few of those charging stations are hotels, and the service is listed as being available for guests only. I'm sorry, but #$%# that.

2. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Of course electric power isn't as ubiquitous as fossil fuels when it comes to cars but I'm sure it#'s much easier to live with than you think.

The majority trips taken in a car are shorter than 20 miles each. The majority of your charging would be done at home anyway. I get your point about planning around charging stations for long trips but how often are you driving more than 300 miles, let alone cross-country?

The fact that the infrastructure is in place to allow you to drive electric from coast-to-coast for free is pretty amazing in itself. For a car company only 12 years old it's quite a feat.

3. Great cars. Friend has a red one. Uses it for weekend jaunts to the ski hill. But there are exactly zero charging stations in our city outside of personal home stations. Makes it a pain for him. He has to do math every day and calculate when and where he can go before he has to go home to charge.

4. My point is that while impressive, the Tesla is just the least toy-like of the toy electric cars. You really can't have one as your only car because while it's fine for 95% of the car trips you're gonna take, it's gonna be really irritating the other 5% of the time.

I would also point out that one of the legitimate criticisms this car has had in quite a few reviews is that it definitely doesn't feel as expensive on the inside as the car is. Giant iPad-like center-stack aside, the rest of the inside feels a bit ordinary.

I give kudos to Tesla for making a desirable car, but I don't think it's quite the great-leap forward a lot of people think it is. It's selling more on image and hype than on actual substance at this point, and that never leaves a good taste in my mouth.

Oh, and while Tesla has been admirable about dealing with them, the Model S has had some glaring teething problems. If it were a cute $20k runabout I might be more forgiving of all this, but if I'm paying more than $60k for a car I have some pretty damn high expectaions of it.

5. "" I don't think it's quite the great-leap forward a lot of people think it is ""

"" the Model S has had some glaring teething problems ""

These are just vague claims that mean nothing. I don't understand why people like yourself are always negative on this car. It delivers what it claims, the range, the performance and it is a true leap forward from ICE cars of today.

That 5% of the time when the car will not be suitable may be irritating but it's also just an adjustment. My mobile phone from 15 years ago used to last an entire week on one charge and my current phone lasts only one day and as irritating as that is, I have adjusted and charge it every day now.

Nobody is forcing you to buy this car btw. It's obviously too expensive for most and it was never meant for the wider market. Wait for the Model 3 and then think about buying one.

6. First off, the hotel charging stations are a small minority of the stations, and arguably if you're driving cross country, you'd stay at a hotel at some point.

But barring that, and barring the fact that the network is going to triple in size over the next year or so...

Lets talk about this.
    "You really can't have one as your only car because while it's fine for 95% of the car trips you're gonna take, it's gonna be really irritating the other 5% of the time."

So first off I don't know about you but I don't drive more than 200 miles even 5% of the time. Last time I did 200 miles in one day was June when I drove to louisville (which I could have done with a supercharger). I'm going to guess most people don't make a trip like that more than twice a year... lets assume you drive your car every day of the year, and out of those days two of them are more than 200 miles a day, thats less than 1% of your trips. I'd argue you can just rent a car for those purposes and still end up in the green relative to cost over the year.

Maths: 10,000 miles a year at 25mpg and $3/gallon (yea gas is cheap now but it will go back up) makes it about $1200 a year in gas.
    Its about 3cents a mile if you do the math on a Tesla, and you're paying 10c/kwh. Comes out to $300 a year, a difference of $900. Gives you a lot of room to play with.

7. cool long post about something you know nothing about

8. I'm not always negative on this car. I think it's an appealing car in a number of ways, from the sexy body, to the instantaneous torque, to the immense silence of its driving experience, to the vault-like solidity of its safety cage. If I had $100k burning a hole in my pocket (and I didn't live in what is apparently the biggest hole in Tesla's US charging network) I'd seriously consider buying one as a second car. But then I'd probably wind up just buying a Mercedes S-Class, because I don't have to wait at a charging station and I can re-fuel it anywhere - but that's just me.

I didn't go into the teething problems because I didn't want to make too monolithic a wall of text, but I guess you want me to so, here goes.

Electrical glitches - doors handles and trunk lids stop working. The center touch-screen gets glitchy and non-responsive (and it controls damn near everything, so that's not great).

Drive units. They've been failing at an alarming rate. Like, every 10,000 miles or so. Obviously, not everyone experiences the problem, but some people experienced it multiple times.

And those are just the more well-documented problems.

In what way is it a true leap forward from the ICE cars of today? Sure, it's electric, but we've had electric cars as long as we've had ICE ones. Yes, it has nicer batteries, but so does a Nissan Leaf. Ok, it's the first electric-only modern luxury car. Hooray? That doesn't sound that earth-shattering.

I'm just providing a counterpoint here. I'm not saying it's shit, but it's not 4-wheeled Jesus, either.

9. Cool token tough-guy post. Thanks for sharing.

10. all your posts are you whining about things you know nothing of

have you even seen one tesla in shitsville, usa?

11. Yes, actually. There's a red Model S here in town. Not that it matters. I'm just giving an opinion. If we only opined on cars we actually owned this forum would have died the day it launched.

Given that, you can agree, or disagree, or take a long walk on a short pier. I really don't care, you don't add anything substantive to the discussion either way.

12. not adding substance in three word replies beats doing it with paragraph long posts like you do

13. To each his own.

14. tesla owns

bay area owns

get rekt

15. #40 disord3r, Jan 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016

16. #41 962RACER, Jan 28, 2015
    you are just mad cuz the petrochem industry is bound to wither as the dominant energy source, progress marches on. the establishment of the tesla brand is one of the first cracks that are showing. vested interest is a #%[email protected] aint it?

for the average driver the range is way more than enough for not 95, but more like 99.9 of trips unless you are a travelling salesman, in which case you cant afford a tesla anyway. if you're the rare kinda salesman who can afford it, you wouldn't drive such long distances, you would fly and write it off as an expense.....

for everyone else, if two or three times out of the year you do need to take such long trips you can rent a very nice car/truck for not much for a whole weekend or however long. consider that the actual cost of running the car equates to between 1/4 at worst (edmunds long term test) to 1/10 (the claim of many hypermilers who blog etc about the car) of gasoline cars of similar class. basically, you'll save enough money on fuel to rent a car for a day or two every couple of weeks if you wanted to.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1090685_life-with-tesla-model-s-one-year-and-15000-miles-later

http://www.edmunds.com/tesla/model-s/2013/long-term-road-test/2013-tesla-model-s-cost-of-gas-vs-electricity.html

17. #42 AMGrulz, Jan 28, 2015
    That's an absurd argument to make and an affront to my objectivity. How I earn my paycheck has no bearing on my observations about the Tesla's reliability or spartan interior. My job =/= my life's calling.

The average driver also can't afford a Tesla Model S. It's about double the average transaction price for new cars in the US. The amount of money you'd save on fuel is irrelevant because you'd still not have had enough money to afford it in the first place. Or you could buy the most gas-guzzling family sedan in existence and it'd still pants the Tesla as an economic exercise - especially with gas below $2/gallon.

18. #43 Veyronman, Jan 28, 2015
    fantastic. the dyno vid is great too

19. #44 962RACER, Jan 28, 2015
    it's a valid argument, but no one expects you to admit to it. your ATTEMPT at objectivity doesn't make it objective by default. the car is what it is, it is selling and outselling which means the majority of people who can actually afford it would very much disagree with you, and their opinion matters a lot more on this than you and i.

your argument regarding the price is invalid imho. its a niche product with very high performance for what it is, the p85 being quicker than an aston martin rapide s, a 550hp v12 sport sedan, offering a host of new technologies and designs etc, it is justified in its price. new technology is almost primarily first introduced at the high end of the economic spectrum regardless of product....

if there was no great demand, the company wouldnt skyrocket the way it did, where production had to be increased far beyond projected figures, nor would the cars be sold out and on back order from the time it went into production. it's basic economics, it has massive demand, part due to the fad/trend/design, part due to the long awaited technology and its massive potential.

http://youtu.be/JUW0l7bZn1s

its selling like hotcakes dude, get over yourself. this is the technological introduction to the mass market, of course it will cost what it does. they are planning a camry-ish competitor, that one will be the mass game changer. as far as interior goes, sure, i agree its not on par with, say, an s class, but an s class is slower, handles worse, and costs significantly more to run. surely the car has some common problems but its nothing out of the ordinary of what we've seen from other high performance first generation releases, a la e46 m3 throwing rods, 991 gt3 and pretty much every ferrari catching fire and infinite other first gen problems.

all this said, i personally wouldn't buy one myself lol, the tech is just too new to be reliable and optimized properly but hey, if you have the money and you want to support the evolution of the car, more power to you.

20. ive driven the p85d. HOLY #$%#. so fast.

21. VODH

23. #48 disord3r, Feb 16, 2015

It looks like the Tesla jumps, but I thinkit just hooks up and goes that well while the lambo is boggin its start.

24. #49 962RACER, Feb 16, 2015
    well there's a bit of controversy over the p85d drivetrain. yes, it has the ability to produce a lot more torque due to the extra front powertrain but it appears that while the peak torque is huge to begin with, the actual power output isnt necessarily the 691 tesla claims, unless there is huge error in the dyno readings (which were repeated with minimal discrepancy). this is actually pretty visible with most of the drag vids people post. it gets a rocket start but then quickly loses out on the top end. if you look at the advertised power to weight ratio, it should continue to pull away from an lp570 (and many others it races) or at least maintain the lead, but it doesn't, consistently. what becomes pretty evident is that, while the electric motors may be able to sustain the output continuously, the power supply, most likely the electronic speed controller, cant cope and has its output most likely capped due to reliability reasons. this might be the limit of the battery but that is highly unlikely, as li-ion batteries have a pretty high discharge rate.

http://jalopnik.com/first-tesla-p85d-on-a-dyno-puts-down-864-foot-pounds-of-1675557317

25. #50 american cars r king, Feb 17, 2015
    You can't directly compare electric motors (especially Tesla's with no gearbox) to ICE cars. Tesla probably shouldn't even quote a power figure.

It definitely loses out pretty badly once over 100mph though in all videos I've seen. Which is fine with me.