Tesla Model S

Discussion in 'American Cars' started by american cars r king, Dec 21, 2014.

1. When did you do this?

2. This is far from being a nail in the coffin of ICE cars. Owning one becomes a change of habit. And, most people like the free will of being able to gas up on the fly. Also, people get scared of technology change. Barring any long term drastic oil crisis, I don't even see EV cars being a high volume seller for another 15-20 years. Like mentioned people wont want/cant front the extra $10k for EV just to save money on gas in the very long term.

3. This is far from being a nail in the coffin of ICE cars. Owning one becomes a change of habit. And, most people like the free will of being able to gas up on the fly. Also, people get scared of technology change. Barring any long term drastic oil crisis, I don't even see EV cars being a high volume seller for another 15-20 years. Like mentioned people wont want/cant front the extra $10k for EV just to save money on gas in the very long term.

4. what do u define as "high volume"

5. #55 962RACER, Feb 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    im well aware of the differing power curves of each powerplant but bare in mind the physics of it is the same, power is work over time and this is why you can measure in kw or hp. at no point did the system output exceed the manufacturer claims in that dyno, but it gets weirder. the non d model, the p85 has been dynoed at over 420whp repeatedly so i wonder what the situation is. maybe its an early model problem, or that particular car was abused, who knows until we get more dyno results.

whp numbers take into consideration anything from driveline loss to gearbox and diff ratios so while dyno techs may mess up or dynos may have issues handling the initial torque, after the initial typical electric motor torque spike its all the same so something is up, unless that dyno vid posted is extremely skewed.

autocar dynoed the p85+ at 428whp
    http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/just-how-much-power-does-tesla-model-s-produce

6. A good 100,000 units.

7. #57 add lightness, Feb 18, 2015
  8. #58 ETB4U, Feb 19, 2015
  9. 15-20 years is still just silly.

10. I agree

11. Depends on how long this cheap gas lasts.

12. the gigafactory is up soon and will have the capacity for 500k battery packs by 2020

13. haven't read shit about tesla and sticking with my 2006 assertion that all tesla are passionless turds

14. tesla? more like Found On Road Dead!

15. #66 ETB4U, Feb 22, 2015
    http://time.com/money/3269068/hybrid-electric-cars-sales-nissan-leaf-tesla/

"According to Edmunds data, through August 2014 hybrids and electric vehicles captured 3.6% of all auto sales this year. For the same period a year ago, hybrid and EV sales represented 3.7% of the overall market. "

That's also including hybrids which still use gas. Gas drinkers aren't going anywhere for a very long time.

16. #67 sangtaoadv, Feb 27, 2015
    Hello and welcome 2015 Lamborghini Huracan LP610 4 Start Up Test Drive Racing Exhaust Demo and In Depth Review

17. my dad has the cheapest one

18. Still awesome.

19. Hi Amazing Asian I agree with you Tesla Model S is really fantastic.

20. #71 Veyronman, Mar 26, 2015
    For people in the "electric cars are bad because 'range anxiety'" camp:

21. Finally got a full test drive of the 480 kW one. I tried it for like 15 mins in a Tesla happening but there was a Tesla rep present, you couldn't exceed the speed limit and it was on a pre-described route... which in a 700 hp car was quite frustrating.

But yeah, now that I got to give it the beans... pretty amazing. Effortless is how I'd describe the driving experience.

The only thing that I'd fix is the quality of some parts of the interior. That's the only minor niggle I can think of.

22. the parking garage of my office is now full of tesla's. apparently financial detectives use them.

23. Watched a video of a guy who's owned one for a while now, and he mentioned something like the first major service point for the car (i guess beyond regular wear and tear like brakes and tyres etc) is at half a million miles when they need to re-pack some bearings.

I don't know how accurate that is but still, imagine how many times you'd have had at least an oil and filter change on a normal car in 500,000 miles.

24. #75 AMGrulz, Mar 28, 2015
    That's cute.

Attached Files: