THE 12 Hours of Sebring Thread

Discussion in 'Motorsports' started by rabbitl1, Mar 13, 2011.

1. #1 rabbitl1, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    The 2011 12 Hours of Sebring is next weekend and it marks not only the first round of the 2011 American Le Mans Series calendar, but it's also the first race of the 2011 Intercontinental Le Mans Cup, which is essentially a World Championship for sports cars.

This years' race will be one of the biggest in history with an entry list of 56 cars and a new organization of the classes allows for a more diverse field than ever.

In an effort to slow down speeds LMP1 is now essentially what LMP2 was last year. Older LMP1 chassis have also been able to be grandfathered in as well. New chassis are now forced to wear shark fins, ala what we saw in F1 last year.

For 2011, LMP2 has been totally redesigned with a "cost-capped" philosophy aimed at lowering the cost of running an exotic LMP race car. LMP2 engines are also now production based with several great new engines available including a Judd V8 (based on the BMW M3 V8), Honda TT V6, a Nissan (NISMO) V-8, and even a twin-turbocharged Ford EcoBoost V6!

GT1 is now gone, and GT2 has been split into 2 new categories, GTE-Pro and GTE-Am. Gran Touring Evolution Pro is for brand new cars with professional drivers, and the Amateur class is for older chassis being driven by at least 2 amateur/gentleman drivers.

Finally there are the spec-challenge classes, LMPC and GTC for a combination of professional and amateur drivers. LMPC will employ Oreca FLM09 chassis with GM LS3 crate motors while GTC is a class exclusively for Porsche GT3 Cup cars.

Another thing worth noting is for the race, teams that are ALMS only will run with a 0 in front of their race number to differentiate them from the ILMC runners.

Entry List: http://www.planetlemans.com/alms-2011-sebring-entry-list/

Race Week Schedule: http://sebringraceway.com/pdfs/2011-EventSchedule.pdf

How to follow the race:
    - TV - ABC, 12:30 p.m. ET, March 20 (Race Recap)
    - Live Online Streaming - www.espn3.com - The full 12 hours will be streamed
    - Radio - www.radiolemans.com
    - Live Timing & Scoring - http://scoring.americanlemans.com/scoring.php
    - Not sure about International viewing options, I'd imagine anyone could log on and watch the streaming coverage.

Qualifying will also be shown live on www.espn3.com. Check the website for more info

Spotters' Guide: Coming Soon

2. Lol @ P2. I forget: is it going to be phased out?

3. Nope. I actually really like the class system they have now, except for LMPC. LMP1 is for big time manufacturers and VERY well funded privateers and LMP2 is a lot cheaper and more for private teams and gentleman racers.

The problem is that currently LMPC and LMP2 are very similar and with this being the first year for a new P2 class, many LMPC teams that might move up to LP2 are going to wait it out and see how the class goes.

Ideally, I'd like to see them have LMP1 and LMP2 as they are now, and get rid of LMPC (and GTC for that matter).

4. #4 rabbitl1, Mar 14, 2011
  5. Makes sense to me. I could never understand the point of LMPC anyway.

6. I hear rumors of a factory team having engine issues.

7. LMPC and GTC were kind of supposed to be temporary fixes during the bad economy to stop the "bleeding". I don't like they they're spec, but they can offer some exciting racing.

8. #8 Vision K2, Mar 16, 2011
  9. Do you know why the Team LNT Radical was taken off the entry list? I saw the car at the Sebring Winter Test (although it turned very few laps).

10. They decided to stay and test in Europe instead.

“The test confirmed what we saw at the Sebring test, around a four second per lap improvement, but with a loss of test time we decided that it would be wiser to continue durability testing and get the car ready for the Le Mans Series race at Paul Ricard next month."

11. Spotter Guide is up!

12. I don't get espn 3 in my area.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

13. I've got the live feed and live timing together, but sent from my laptop to my 58" TV.

Yes, the cords are annoying, I don't need to hear about it.

14. Windy there.

15. I thought that was one of the better 12 Hours of the past few years. A Peugeot won, but not the factory car, and Highcroft is now the first "privateer" not running one of the diesel juggernauts that's been able to run up front. They were only 30 seconds behind the winners!

LMP2 was very disappointing though and it seems like the class has reverted back to being very frail and whoever can last will win, albeit while being very far down the order.

GT was exciting as always with the lead being swapped more times than I can remember between BMW, Corvette, Ferrari, with Porsche being a bit behind.

All in all, a great start to the season and the online format wasn't as bad as I predicted it would be.

16. WTF is going on!!! Im on abc, and #$%#ing tennis is on. It says "The 12 Hours of Sebring"... I have checked every other sports channel and not a hint of the race. WTF

17. Missed a lot of the race, but I'm glad the Highcroft car came out ahead of the bigger factory teams.

18. Yes, and what an awesome show from BMW in a very competitive GT field.

19. I was pretty impressed with the speed of the 458 too, considering how early in development it is.

20. #20 Vision K2, Mar 21, 2011
    Any requests? I have a lot I didn't post. Also, a lot more on my facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/zborton?sk=photos#!/album.php?id=180600938&aid=2016899

Ferrari 458 in the pits
    Bridge
    morning vintage racing
    Lola being put away at dusk
    Lamborghini
    Panoz
    Group C Nissan
    Looking at turn 1
    Panoz
    grid girls
    AXR-01e
    Peugeot