The Australian Ones are Better.

Discussion in '2004 Pontiac GTO' started by Aych Es Vee, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Although the normal Holden Monaro(RED), what the 2004 GTO is is based on, isn't as good as the GTO, its HSV tuned counterparts are better.

The HSV GTO Coupe(SILVER) is probaly just as good as the PONTIAC GTO, but the HSV GTS Coupe(YELLOW) could out do the PONTIAC anyday. The Pontiac only has 261kW and the GTS has 300kW, and personally, I think the HSV's look better too.

I think Australian cars are finally getting the attention they deserve.

2. Re: The Australian Ones are Better.

thats all fine and good, but who can say how good this car will be before it's even out? just because you allready have a version there doesnt mean you know all about this version.

what are the performance times for a 300kW HSV?<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: The Australian Ones are Better.

don't kid yourself.
    they both suck

4. Re: The Australian Ones are Better.

rex4eva seriously dude your kidding if you think we don't know what the US version is gonna go like. The cars are being BUILT IN AUSTRALIA and exported to the US. There isn't going to be much GM US is going to do differently than whats already done here. There isn't going to be a massive weight save like people claim when your talking about adding a premium sound system and other shit, but hey. Thats okay, your like me and realise that people who think this cars gonna run low 13s or even 12s are kidding themselves.

5. Re: The Australian Ones are Better.

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from 1q2w3e</i>
    <b>rex4eva seriously dude your kidding if you think we don't know what the US version is gonna go like. The cars are being BUILT IN AUSTRALIA and exported to the US. There isn't going to be much GM US is going to do differently than whats already done here. There isn't going to be a massive weight save like people claim when your talking about adding a premium sound system and other shit, but hey. Thats okay, your like me and realise that people who think this cars gonna run low 13s or even 12s are kidding themselves.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

I agree<!-- Signature -->

6. Re: The Australian Ones are Better.

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from 1q2w3e</i>
    <b>rex4eva seriously dude your kidding if you think we don't know what the US version is gonna go like. The cars are being BUILT IN AUSTRALIA and exported to the US. There isn't going to be much GM US is going to do differently than whats already done here. There isn't going to be a massive weight save like people claim when your talking about adding a premium sound system and other shit, but hey. Thats okay, your like me and realise that people who think this cars gonna run low 13s or even 12s are kidding themselves.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

thats my point. all the GM fans are saying how fast this is going to be, but i have serious doubts.<!-- Signature -->

7. Re: The Australian Ones are Better.

dude im telling ya. You don't need to doubt, its a 350hp car and it weighs 1640kilos. And people who claim horsepower ratings here are different are nothing but f**kwits. Its the same LS1 used in the states so theres no difference and preimum sound etc will only balance out the weight that is taken out of the car, it WILL not be lighter than 1600kilos.

Look for 13.5s and higher.

8. Re: The Australian Ones are Better.

<b>dude im telling ya. You don't need to doubt, its a 350hp car and it weighs 1640kilos. And people who claim horsepower ratings here are different are nothing but f**kwits. Its the same LS1 used in the states so theres no difference and preimum sound etc will only balance out the weight that is taken out of the car, it WILL not be lighter than 1600kilos.

Look for 13.5s and higher.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Has Pontiac or GM made a press release for that 350 horsepower? I doubt that they will give the GTO the same power as their flagship corvette. I could be wrong but it wouldn't make sense. The GTO is supposed to be a pony/musclecar, so it should be cheap and have good power, not corvette power.

And I agree with that. No way will it get anything lower than mid 13s.<!-- Signature -->

9. Re: The Australian Ones are Better.

Yeah its been confirmed here in oz its going with a 350hp LS1. You got to remember, it weighs 200 kilos more than a vette

10. Re: The Australian Ones are Better.

That's a good point about the car having the same hp as the Vette but like it was said it will be heavier so it's going to be slower. Gm fgures the car will hit 60 in around the low 6's and that's far from Vette territory. I'm starting to believe that this car won't eat much of the Vettes sales anyways b/c this car seems geared more towards the just-out-of-college gen, being that it is rumored to start at less than 30 G's and then you have the Vettes which appeal to everyone but more so to adults b/c of it's icon status and are more exclusive b/c of the higher sticker.<!-- Signature -->

11. Re: The Australian Ones are Better.

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from rex4ev</i>
    <b>thats all fine and good, but who can say how good this car will be before it's even out? just because you allready have a version there doesnt mean you know all about this version.

what are the performance times for a 300kW HSV?</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

what are the performance times for an HSV with 300 kW?<!-- Signature -->

12. Re: The Australian Ones are Better.

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from joeybballer</i>
    <b>That's a good point about the car having the same hp as the Vette but like it was said it will be heavier so it's going to be slower. Gm fgures the car will hit 60 in around the low 6's and that's far from Vette territory. I'm starting to believe that this car won't eat much of the Vettes sales anyways b/c this car seems geared more towards the just-out-of-college gen, being that it is rumored to start at less than 30 G's and then you have the Vettes which appeal to everyone but more so to adults b/c of it's icon status and are more exclusive b/c of the higher sticker.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->GM is kidding no one when they say 0-60 in low 6's, because there is noway it could get that slow of a time. The gto only weighs about like 3500 or around there, because the monaro is 3600lbs and the gto is going to be a lighter version of that. <!-- Signature -->

13. Re: The Australian Ones are Better.

The GTO is just a Monaro with cosmetic differences. In Australia, the Monaro pulls 0-60 mph in 6.63 seconds with the 225kW LS1, so the approx. 260kW version should make it a bit quicker, but I wouldn't push 6 flat; high 5's would be a good effort. The HSV GTS Coupè manages 5.70 seconds with the 300kW LS1, so it's hard to see the GTO getting near that. Maybe the 300kW engine will be available as an option; who knows? The power figure is based on Aussie-spec premium fuel though (96-98 octane) so it might be somewhat less in the 'states, given the grade of U.S. fuel currently. Anyway, should be an acceptable car; hope you guys enjoy it.

14. Re: The Australian Ones are Better.

COOL PICS HERE

15. Re: The Australian Ones are Better.

according to these numbers, the american version will not be very fast. sorry camaro. lol.

16. Re: The Australian Ones are Better.

yeah, you're right................i think.

17. Re: The Australian Ones are Better.

he is right but i still like it

18. Re: The Australian Ones are Better.

i guess

19. Re: The Australian Ones are Better.

You're an idiot.

Spyder757

20. Re: The Australian Ones are Better.

WHY?

21. Re: The Australian Ones are Better.

Well, the Holden/HSV range is undergoing a model change at the moment, and that has seen a bit of a change in the power figures. According to a very recent Motor Magazine comparo (Ford BA XR6 T vs. Holden VY SS Commodore) the LS1 in a 235kW guise is capable of 0-60mph in around 5.8 seconds, and a high-13 quarter. The SS Commodore (in the previous model, at least) was the closest relative of the Monaro. So...this could see a bit of a performance increase. Between now and 2004...who knows. The outcome of the comparo sees the XR6 Turbo lineball with the VY SS in a straight line, and quicker on the road, as well as being a better drive overall. Good to see Ford finally getting some.

22. Re: The Australian Ones are Better.

while i do agree that the australian versions of this car are better than the ones soon to be released in the states, i believe that the constant comparisons between the stock pontiac gto and the monaro hsv are wrong, as they have different power ratings. The only reason that there is a 300kw monaro is because it was tuned by hsv, it technically is not a stock standard car. therefore there is hope that the pontiac gto will also be handed over to a tuning company, such as lingenfelter, to be tuned to the specifications of the 300kw hsv, or possibly even surpass it. who knows, a private buyer may even fork out the cash to have this thing tuned to the max, and possibly even put in twin turbos...but the fact of the matter is, the figures cannot be attained without the car actually being tuned, as stock, it will not, and cannot surpass the corvette, its like ford making the jaguar 4wd x-type r a rally car and racing it against the focus and the laser rally cars, they can do it, and the jag would kick the focus' and laser's asses, but that would make the parent company look bad...that analogy finished, the point is the pontiac gto stock will not surpass the performance of the stock flagship corvettes.