The end of suburbia?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by F50Fanatic, Jun 5, 2019.

1. #1 F50Fanatic, Jun 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    I revisited this 2006 video. The society has changed a lot since this video was published. Things were quite different back then. This was before the great recession in 2008. If I remembered correctly back in 2006 cars were still considered a thing that young adults should have. Now young people are more interested in gaming, social media, and smartphones.

Suburbanization pretty much lasted from middle of 20th century all the way to the years right before the great recession. In the past ten years, there has been a reverse, with inner cities are becoming more popular, especially among younger generations. But suburban communities are still attractive to a lot of people.

Personally I prefer suburb over inner city, mainly because I like homes with yards and garages, and I love all of that hot rod and muscle car stuff. Here in my country, suburbs offer almost everything inner cities does like plenty of shopping centers, restaurants, bars, etc.

Inner cities reduce carbon emission per capita, and help preserve nature by reducing urban sprawl. But it also has negatives, like higher crime rates, and good inner city areas with less crime tend to be very expensive.

So what are your guys' thoughts? Do you think people are going to move to inner city in large numbers? Do you prefer dense places like San Francisco, living in apartments and take public transportation? Or do you prefer single family homes, car ownership, and live in a more spread out and car oriented places like Los Angeles, San Jose, Phoenix, Tucson, El Paso, etc?

2. I like turtles

ETB4U likes this.
  3. I prefer city life and walking everywhere. Parking is such a bother too. Rides on demand is very convenient, get dropped off in front, no parking or paying for parking

I do like driving long distances, like 30 minutes of roads with light traffic is fun

If/when I have a family and want things like a dog I will want suburban life, but for now it is nice to be amongst the people. If I lived in the suburbs I would still want a nice downtown and a kind of centralized gathering place built around walking. The american strip malls and shopping centers that are a bunch of businesses surrounding a huge parking lot are cancer for humans, and such an eyesore

4. #4 disord3r, Jun 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    I don't like it. There's a boring, depressing repetition that I feel driving through suburbs. It seems fine for families where they go to work and go to school and they all come home and have dinner and then go to sleep and wake up and do it all over again, but I try to spend as much time out of my apartment as possible and suburbia doesn't do it for me. I need to be able to go on a jog or walk or a bike ride and see more than just houses. I need fully mixed zoning or I feel like I'm in protective custody.

I want to be city-adjacent for the cost savings, but I can't live in the suburbs. I prefer an apartment because I tend to move around a lot. I need a car (two actually) but I still take a lot of public transit. I need variety in my surroundings. It's funny because I technically live in a suburb, but it's like an oasis in the middle of the burbs and I can get to the interstate pretty fast and don't have to experience that part that I don't really like. There are as many office buildings and multi million dollar homes as there are apartment complexes and walkable shops and restaurants and stuff.

5. Looking northeast out of my apartment:
    [​IMG]

I got rid of my car, and my daily commute is about 5 minutes by subway. Previously, in Kingston, it was about 10 minutes on foot. I don't use ride apps much, mostly carshare. Rent by the minute when I need a vehicle, never bother thinking about gas or parking or insurance - just get out of the car and forget it ever existed. I walk to go out to eat or drink, I walk to the gym, I walk to the grocery. There's enough retail downtown for 90% of my needs. The idea of going back to the situation where I have to think about my transportation at all, or where I can't do whatever I like during my commute - eat or read or play a game - I don't wanna go back.

Maybe when I have 2.2 kids and a hypoallergenic dog.

6. Suburbia for me. Got my 4 bay garage/man-cave, gym, 4 cars, a secondary house on my block, and still a decent sized yard for the kids.

I'd love to experience city life, maybe as an extensive holiday, but it would suck with my work. I work in construction, so I need to drive my van and to park fairly close to things. Also, people annoy me.

Veyronman and F50Fanatic like this.
  7. Living the citylife right now. As i get older, the more i hate it.

- Parking problems
    - Annoying people(hippies, arabs etc.)
    - Crime rate

We're planning to move out to a village near the city.

ETB4U likes this.
  8. #8 HippoCrushEverything, Jun 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    In the Nordic countries and Germany this is definitely the case.

In real life it's a question of what one can afford as much as a question of preference. If I signed a large mortgage to buy real estate in Helsinki, I'd steer off suburban houses because their prices are stagnating and beginning to fall. Inner-city apartments, especially older stone buildings have increased in value long-term. I can't afford spending 500 000€ on something that's possibly worth less than half that in 2019 money in 25 years.

Some cities have functioning and vibrant urban cores, some are dysfunctional traffic nightmares, some are filled with cold office buildings, some are just plain too expensive and some are outright dangerous. Are we talking Saõ Paulo, Copenhagen, Omaha or Ho Chi Minh City?

What's considered a "suburb" or "downtown" also varies hugely. Definitions vary even from person to person; Brooklyn might be downright city core to someone from Anus, New Jersey but to someone who never ventures north of the 59th street, deep Queens could be on another planet. Is Offenbach a suburb of Frankfurt or a city in itself? What about Oakland or Kobe?

Suburbs can also be:

St. Petersburg
    [​IMG]

Weinheim
    [​IMG]

Melbourne
    [​IMG]

Dhaka
    [​IMG]

Suburbs can be anything from planned neighbourhoods to towns and villages agglomerated into the main urban core. They can be almost rural in terms of density, or consist of high-rise buildings with a higher population density than "major" cities in some countries. Suburbs can be upscale and prohibitively expensive, or total slums.

Sometimes low-density neighbourhoods are available in the city core but they are never cheap. Alster (a small river and a reservoir right in the center of Hamburg) is surrounded by parks, canals and upscale neighbourhoods with lovely townhouses and villas, such as these:

[​IMG]

I'm not a Russian oligarch or a footballer so I can't buy one. I live in a suburb instead.

SEABEE and F50Fanatic like this.
  9. #9 F50Fanatic, Jun 8, 2019
    Those older strip malls, all of the store entrances inside hallways, with no stores facing outside, appearing as bland pieces of giant blocks when viewed from outside, those are my least favorite architecture. I like them even less than those soviet-style apartment blocks.

But overall I actually like overall appearances of American suburbs. I like the communities with single family homes. I also like those office parks, and I like plazas of grocery markets and restaurants, as long as the stores are facing outside. And those suburban industrial areas look cool in a rugged way.

Suburbs may not look as cool as inner cities, but to me they look nice and comforting. I guess it has something to do with nostalgia. Some of my best years were spent in suburban areas, with lots of good friends, and plenty of hot rods, so there are happy memories.

10. Seriously, what's with you and hot rods?

SEABEE likes this.
  11. Offenbach is despressing as ****

12. The urban core, Frankfurt, isn't that dashing either.

I've seen worse.

13. #13 F50Fanatic, Jun 8, 2019
    I strongly dislike those soviet style apartment blocks. Eye sores to me.

You will need to be one of these, or inherited huge amount of wealth from rich parents, or having successful tech start-ups, or being one of the ultra wealthy Chinese immigrants, to afford a decent home in San Francisco, which has become arguably the most exclusive city in my country, both economically and culturally. Middle class people with middle class ways of life and old school middle class values are not welcome.

SEABEE likes this.
  14. I like the way they look.

And a source of comfort and nostalgia to make me feel better, especially when I go through challenges in life.

Some people have comfort foods like burgers and pizza. Looking at cars is healthier than eating too much guilty pleasure food. You get the idea.

15. Yeah it's an ugly city.

16. For me its the other way around.

I was younger, I liked to visit cities, but never wanted to live there.

As I got older, I still prefer the suburbs, but city life has become attractive to me as well.

With the exception of San Francisco and Vancouver, I love the idea of living in downtown areas of one of the big North American cities.

17. Suburbia where I live:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

F50Fanatic, PGN1 and Baklava like this.
  18. Thinking about it, I think I'd rather live in a dinky rural village. A friend of mine lives here, and it's so peaceful. there are lovely fields to walk through on his doorstep, and the roads to/from the village are really fun to drive on. it's 15 mins from a larger town with three supermarkets and some fast food etc, and 30 mins from a city with everything else you'd need. I love going round there.

village.jpg

19. I like that.

We are planning to move here somewhere. Lots of forest, lakes etc. but also 15 mins from the city.

Schermafbeelding 2019-06-10 om 16.59.22.png

Veyronman likes this.
  20. weinheim has all the buildings going random directions

21. Suburbs are comforting, but the side effect of that is boredom. They are usually safe, driving is easy, traffic should be light, parking never an issue

Downside is having to drive everywhere, as a lot of american suburbs are not built with any concern at all for the pedestrian. I don't mind the suburbs so much as long as there is a dense core with nearby parks.

22. Rural is also quite relative. Keep in mind that England is more densely populated than Japan or the city of Adelaide. 30 minutes to a city center isn't a bad figure for many suburbs. Having been in places where the distance to the nearest gas station is measured in hundreds of kilometres, 15 minutes to a supermarket isn't that far away.

Continental Europe is also quite dense in places, and dotted with many villages that aren't far from major urban cores, often offering decent services within walking distance, and a train connection to a city center. In Finland almost all suburbs are planned ones, and services tend to congregate in malls and outlet/megastore clusters near motorways/ring roads.

I much prefer the former approach. Many of the planned suburbs built in the Nordic countries have failed and turned into concrete ghettos. Modernist (brutalist) architecture combined to 70's building quality, utopian visions of economy, nature of work and services, limited mass transit connections and silly projections in general have helped to create some of the least-livable environments in non-ex-Warsaw Pact Europe.

23. Do you consider San Jose, California as a city or a suburb?

It is suburban in character, but it does have a decent size downtown, which had grown considerably in recent years.

24. You're going to love it (as long as the population of whatever the Dutch equivalent to a chav is, is small)

25. #25 Veyronman, Jun 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    I mean rural as in completely surrounded by farms and with there being no real indication of an urban area nearby (nothing visible on the horizon), and no noise from a major road. It's the feeling of being quite isolated that's very peaceful to me, but I'm not foolish enough to eschew such conveniences as being able to go to a hospital with relative ease and not have to write off an entire day if I need to go shopping

I'm not talking about the nearest neighbour being 30 miles away or anything like that. Just a suggestion of that.

Also, the Nordic approach and eventual outcome sounds like the British approach and eventual outcome. Suburbs designed decades ago as idealistic utopias just got filled with chavs so they're the worst places to be now.

HippoCrushEverything likes this.