The engine

Discussion in '2002 Koenigsegg CC 8S' started by Matthew4300, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Doesn't this car use a highly modified Mustang Cobra engine?<!-- Signature -->

2. Re: The engine

Don't ever say that again!!!!!!!!!!! A mustang cobra engine, where the hell did you hear that????<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: The engine

Actually I have heard that too. I don't know if it's a roomer or is true. Lets hope its a rummer<!-- Signature -->

4. Re: The engine

Don't ever say that again!!!!!!!!!!! A mustang cobra
    engine, where the hell did you hear that????
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey man i read it in a car mag and besides that engine is bad ass!<!-- Signature -->

5. Re: The engine

I dont think so, considering the R and D in this thing, I would be surprised if it did not have either a purpose builtengine or something from another koenigsegg. I suppose they could bore it and stroke it to 4,7 without much difficulty, but this is also a quad cam, so the only stuff that could be cobra would be the block. I would think they would just as soon make a perfectly shapped/weighted block to be an integral part of the structure if they are doing such radical stuff on the top end of the engine.<!-- Signature -->

6. Re: The engine

it use`s a ford v8 but from witch ford i dont know.... they were orignaly going to put in a boxer 12... but they didnt, maybe they will built one le mans racer with a boxer 12.. if they did it would handle better cuz of the lower gravitypoint.

7. Re: The engine

The Cobra V8 does have quad cam V8 thats my piont! <!-- Signature -->

8. Re: The engine

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Koenigsegg CC</i>
    <b>Don't ever say that again!!!!!!!!!!! A mustang cobra engine, where the hell did you hear that????</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Oh, the horror!! The engine AND the supercharger are US-made.

"Mounted amidships under the car's double-humped bonnet, a 4.6-liter Ford 32-valve V-8 huffs 19 pounds of intercooled boost from a Paxton Novi supercharger..."

It's highly tuned, but they do start with a box-stock Cobra engine.

9. Re: The engine

Yes the engine was originally a Cobra 4 cam engine but they have turned it into something else. I don't even think this car is really 4.7 liters I think they say that just to differentiate this from the cobra engine, It seems pointless to be to increase capacity by .1 liters just so you can say it's not a cobra engine anymore. Other than that this is a marvelous machine regardless of the engine that powers it. I'm not sure of the weight of the final production version but the production prototype that Car and driver tested weighed in at 2,800lbs, so that would make a Power to weight ratio of 4.3:1 or so, while not as great as the Mclaren F1 it's still good

10. #10 paganirules, Aug 9, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: The engine

i got this straight from www.koenigsegg.com

specially developed 4.7L DOHC, 4valve V8
    That doesn't sound like a Cobra engine

Oh yeah, and the car does NOT weigh 2800lbs

It weighs 1175kg, or about 2585lbs<!-- Signature -->

11. Re: The engine

Says in Evo magazine it's 4.6 litres and 1100kg after an extensive interview with CvE himself. Oh, and yes they do start off with the Cobra engine. Suffice to say the end product doesn't look much like it.

12. Re: The engine

Car & Driver actually weighs the car they test. I don't know if they do it with all of their cars, but here's a sampling from their M Coupe review from a few years ago:

"According to BMW, the M coupe is 47 pounds heavier than the M roadster. According to the C/D scales, however, the coupe is 31 pounds lighter than the most recent M roadster we tested (C/D, March). It's also a hefty 199 pounds lighter than the M3 two-door we tested in August 1997.

BMW's website shows that the current M Coupe weighs 3,131 lbs, while C&D's test from 12/01 shows the M Coupe's curb weight as 3,121 lbs. I'll bet they're probably not far off from the actual weight of the Koenigsegg CC.

13. #13 Keanumon, Aug 9, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: The engine

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from paganirules</i>
    <b>i got this straight from www.koenigsegg.com

specially developed 4.7L DOHC, 4valve V8
    That doesn't sound like a Cobra engine

Oh yeah, and the car does NOT weigh 2800lbs

It weighs 1175kg, or about 2585lbs</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Thankyou, I was starting to worie it was a cobra engine.<!-- Signature -->

14. Re: The engine

Sorry to post twice but I forgot to say that I agree with you about the weight thing<!-- Signature -->

15. Re: The engine

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Guibo</i>
    <b>Car & Driver actually weighs the car they test. I don't know if they do it with all of their cars, but here's a sampling from their M Coupe review from a few years ago:

"According to BMW, the M coupe is 47 pounds heavier than the M roadster. According to the C/D scales, however, the coupe is 31 pounds lighter than the most recent M roadster we tested (C/D, March). It's also a hefty 199 pounds lighter than the M3 two-door we tested in August 1997.

BMW's website shows that the current M Coupe weighs 3,131 lbs, while C&D's test from 12/01 shows the M Coupe's curb weight as 3,121 lbs. I'll bet they're probably not far off from the actual weight of the Koenigsegg CC.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

You also have to think about the fuel in the cars, was it weighed with a full tank?<!-- Signature -->

16. Re: The engine

By curb weight, I'm sure C&D is going by the industry norm of all fluids topped off, plus a full load of fuel.
    BMW's rating gives its unladen weight. Not sure if this applies to cars, but in aircraft terms it does not include fuel.

17. Re: The engine

to say it is a "cobra" engine isn't fair.... the modular ford 4.6 is extremely well-built and has a tremendous field of applications... qvale mangusta/mg x80, panoz everything, dozens of ford products, mg xpower500, and I'm sure if I went looking around I could find at least 30 different cars that use the 4.6 in one form or another. The fact is that koenigsegg has shown the newest upper limit of the motor, and that is nothing to be ashamed of. Go looking around, download articles from koenigsegg. com.... reread this forum, that IS originally a ford block, but there is a tuning firm in germany that has done some serious outsourcing (including the paxton supercharger) to build this beauty.<!-- Signature -->

18. Re: The engine

Yes, I agree with you guys that the Koenigsegg CC's engine is a Ford.
    However, from what I read in EVO, Koenigsegg's engineers say that the engine in the finished product is 70% Koenigsegg, 30% Ford.

Come to think of it, some of the world's greatest supercars have engines sourced from other manufacturers.

Here are some examples:

Mclaren F1 - S70/2 60 Degree BMW V12
    Pagani Zonda C12 S - Mercedes AMG V12
    Koenigsegg CC - Ford V8