The idiots that run this site are wrong!!!

Discussion in '1981 Joest 935/78 ‘Moby Dick’' started by ivanhoe, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Re: The idiots that run this site are wrong!!!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from fieroturbo</i>
    <b>Did I mention these things can hold 350 V8's no problem?

That's right!

Three companies, and a few independent machinists across the US make adaptor plates to mate a chevy 350 V8 to any Fiero, any year, any tranny (except the 86' 5-speed muncie, cause it can't take the power).

I think that's what they put in the Fiero Police car in Oklahoma City. (yeah, the police use these things too.)</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

were the gen 1 Fieros F-engined? I know gen II is mid engined and it certainly looks like so...

but this one resembles a '90 Eagle Tealon which is a front engine car...
    <!-- Signature -->

2. Re: The idiots that run this site are wrong!!!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from fieroturbo</i>
    <b>oh boy, here we go with another supercars screw-up.
    There was never an 84' GT. The GTs came out in 85' looking like the SE and coupe models, but the body style changed in 86'. And that 0-60 time is wrong. My 4-banger 88' does 0-60 in 7.8, and the V6 does it in 8.4?

No way!!!

The GTs never came with a 4-speed manual, only the 5-speed or the more common 3-speed auto. And that top speed you see up there is as high as the speedometer goes, not the car with the 5-speed on it.

At least they got the car's weight right.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Uh dude, I hate to shoot you down in front of everyone but in September of 1983 Road & Track tested the Fiero S/E and got 0-60 in 11.6 seconds not 7.8. The S/E they tested ran 18.2 sec @ 72.5 mph in the 1/4. And the 83 has same power, less weight than your '88. In November of 1984 R&T tested the GT (so there were some examples in 1984) and got 0-60 in 8.4 and the 1/4 mile was 16.5 sec @ 84.0 mph. Also the GT they tested had a 4-speed. I'm not bashing this car but I think you're fooling yourself.

A guy in my town has a 350 conversion for his GT but it messed up his handling and there are still lots of cars that beat him in the straights. If you want the BHP/LB, get an old Nova or Falcon with the V8 because they don't handle anyway. Don't mess up a sports car.<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: The idiots that run this site are wrong!!!

Fieroturbo is right, there was never an 84 GT. Anyone who thinks a car tested in Nov 84 must be an 84 knows little about when year models begin. A year model begins the preceding June, so any car produced after 6/84 would be an 85. The car in the november test report was in fact an 85. Incidentally only the 88's should be considered supercars although I don't hold my 88 in the same class as my Miura, Countach or Diablo it can be said that it is a supercar because of the innovative ABS (not fiberglass) bodywork, the midengine and the fact that this was done by an American Manufacturer. The non '88 cars compare to supercars only in the amount of time that they spend in the garage. GM rushed the Fiero into production before properly designing and testing the car. Most of the suspension bits came out of the GM POS parts bin. The 88 model year saw a complete redesign of the car. While the 88 model was an incredible machine the four previous model years had been such lemons consumer confidence in the Fiero was non-existent and the Fiero was discontinued with a little less than 6500 GT's being produced in the final model year

4. Re: The idiots that run this site are wrong!!!

well, i give you one thing,there was no 84 GT, and the car shown is either and 86,87,or88. for this car, i think the 0-60 times ars e wrong, becaseu my V-6 '86SE, does something in the mid to high 7's, and thats with the automatic. for the actual 84 SE, I'd say the actual times are more like 10 something. O, and the top speed on the car in the picture isn't anywhere close to what is posted. I've gotten mine to at least 130, but its hard to tell when the speedo starts goin around a second time.

5. Re: The idiots that run this site are wrong!!!

i have a fast 85 fiero GT and it come with a 4 speed manual. its really hard to see how fast your goin cuz of the speedometer maxin out at 85. i had mine at least 125 no problem, plenty more umf left in it.

6. Re: The idiots that run this site are wrong!!!

nice supra, is it yours? and the picture of the fireo here is the last year of the fiero, which was, i think 89-90, i forgot but no way thats an 84, anf yeah the gt wasnt out in 84, those were later. they screwed up delorean to. its top speed is posted at 109, its really 120. and the 0-60 is 9.5, not 10.5.<!-- Signature -->

7. oh boy, here we go with another supercars screw-up.
    There was never an 84' GT. The GTs came out in 85' looking like the SE and coupe models, but the body style changed in 86'. And that 0-60 time is wrong. My 4-banger 88' does 0-60 in 7.8, and the V6 does it in 8.4?

No way!!!

The GTs never came with a 4-speed manual, only the 5-speed or the more common 3-speed auto. And that top speed you see up there is as high as the speedometer goes, not the car with the 5-speed on it.

At least they got the car's weight right.

8. Re: The idiots that run this site are wrong!!!

Did I mention these things can hold 350 V8's no problem?

That's right!

Three companies, and a few independent machinists across the US make adaptor plates to mate a chevy 350 V8 to any Fiero, any year, any tranny (except the 86' 5-speed muncie, cause it can't take the power).

I think that's what they put in the Fiero Police car in Oklahoma City. (yeah, the police use these things too.)

9. Re: The idiots that run this site are wrong!!!

What are some of the websites that I can look at to see about getting a v8 put in my fiero. I only know of v8archie.com You are right about the 84 GT thing. GT first came out in 85. In 84 you could only get the coupe, se, and the indy pace car replica, which is the one i have.

10. Re: The idiots that run this site are wrong!!!

Yeah i thought that body was new for an 84.

Driving, its in my veins

11. Re: The idiots that run this site are wrong!!!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Delorean DMC-12 Rocks</i>
    <b>nice supra, is it yours? and the picture of the fireo here is the last year of the fiero, which was, i think 89-90, i forgot but no way thats an 84, anf yeah the gt wasnt out in 84, those were later. they screwed up delorean to. its top speed is posted at 109, its really 120. and the 0-60 is 9.5, not 10.5.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

last year for the fiero was '88. there was an '89 concept, but it never made it to production, since GM cut the project. the common rumour of course is that the new redesigned '89 fiero would be compete too well with the 'vettes of the time, so GM decided to axe it. anyway, GT was first available in '85, but still with the same SE bodystyle. the fastback first came in '86, w/ the 4 speed manual getrag, the 5 speed getrag coming in late '86.

12. Re: The idiots that run this site are wrong!!!

yes the are cause the GT fiero came out it 1985 then change to that body style you see there in 1986.5 and some did have a 4 speed tranny but only a hand full making them even more rare.

13. Re: The idiots that run this site are wrong!!!

that makes more sense, my grandpa has the '84 SE, 3 speed auto. and it goes 0-60 in 11.3 sec, but i would rather walk...it would be faster

14. Re: The idiots that run this site are wrong!!!

alright boys, Fiero's can be fast without drastic V8 conversions.
    I have a 87 GT that does 0-60 in 4.9 on the 2.8 6 cyl. I just bought a new 85 GT project car and it does 0-60 in 6.5 with mild mods

15. Re: The idiots that run this site are wrong!!!

i got an LT1 in mine

16. Re: The idiots that run this site are wrong!!!

They aren't fast sock, though they can be made that way...Like any car. I didn't look into it real seriously but in about 5 minutes I found several sites with info on the V8 conversion. Search for "fiero v8 conversion".

17. Re: The idiots that run this site are wrong!!!

And here we are, 14+ years later and consumer confidence is still limited on most Pontiac models..... By the time the '88 Fiero GT was thrown together, the Toyota MR2 had already taken over the affordable mid-engine car market. I had an '89 supercharged MR2 back in the early '90's. Wish I still had that little go-cart.

18. Re: The idiots that run this site are wrong!!!

But this is American. It's better.

19. Re: The idiots that run this site are wrong!!!

But why Gary, why?

20. Re: The idiots that run this site are wrong!!!

in response to Ivanhoe's message:
    1. There was only one generation of Fieros (1984 - 1988)
    2. All fieros were mid-engine with rear wheel drive

in response to EmArTooGuy's message:
    A Nova with a better power/weight ratio than a V8 Fiero? The weight for a stock 88 GT with the manual transmission and an LT1 swapped in is 2950 lbs and the LT1 had 300bhp, whereas my father's 1970 Nova SS 350 was rated at 300hp, but that was gross hp, not break hp, so figure 275hp from the Nova which weighed 3400 lbs.

1970 Nova SS 350 : .0809 hp/lb
    1988 Fiero GT LT1 : .1017 hp/lb

Not to mention the fact that a nice Nova SS 350 can't be had for under 15k, while an 88 GT with the 350 LT1 can be had for under 10 complete.

21. Re: The idiots that run this site are wrong!!!

Fiero did have a 4 speed manual in 86 and I think the first half of 87. I have the Getrag 5 speed in my 87 GT.

22. Re: The idiots that run this site are wrong!!!

This is the hideous car which is the base of all those Testarossa replica's. I'm sorry for all people who think this looks nice, or goes fast...

23. Re: The idiots that run this site are wrong!!!

Delta Antegral:

I'm sorry that you feel the need to bash other peoples cars. We like this car...is that so hard of an idea for you to grasp? If you have a problem with someone liking a car that you don't, then you have no real love for supercars at all and your opinion doesn't matter.

24. Wanna Race?

Is everyone out of their mind? The Fiero AKA "The Mid-Engine Disaster", had more problems to worry about than a slow 0-60. It seems everyone who owns one of these, likes to bash the MR2. I have a stock (no mods what-so-ever) 1989 MR2-SC, I'd be happy to race any stock Fiero out there SE or GT. So if you're in Oregon, let's hook it up and settle this once and for all.

25. Re: Wanna Race?

Sounds like a good plan! Any takers? I live in California and don't own a Fiero anyway. I remember the 1st time I saw one, I thought it was a mini Firebird, because that's what they look like. Some of them do look pretty sweet, but I'd have to agree that from what I've heard and seen, they are pretty slow. I don't know about this 4 cyl. '88 doing 0-60 mph in 7.8 sec either. That sounds kind of far fetched.