The most aerodynamic car ever.

Discussion in '1993 Jaguar XJ220' started by vansbmx90, Aug 9, 2002.

1. this is easily the most aerodynamic car I have ever seen. If there is one that is more streamlined, I wanna hear about it.

2. Re: The most aerodynamic car ever.

You have ever seen! Come on!! Aerodynamics are proven by testing it, not by looking at it. The Lexus LS430 is definitely more aerodynamic.

3. Re: The most aerodynamic car ever.

I'd beg to differ. Jaguar opted to go with a Turbo V6 (that DOES produce some power), but even a Jaguar Turbo V6 wouldn't top 200 mph unless given a number of circumstances like a light weight and great aerodynamics specifically. And a Lexus? Excuse me, Toyota? C'mon, who are you kidding?

4. Re: The most aerodynamic car ever.

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from branng</i>
    <b>You have ever seen! Come on!! Aerodynamics are proven by testing it, not by looking at it. The Lexus LS430 is definitely more aerodynamic.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    You know what I meant, stooge. How many other cars do you know produce over 600 pounds of downforce without any modifiers, cuz that;s what the XJ220 produces. I bet your stupid little Lexus can't do that.

5. Re: The most aerodynamic car ever.

i am not here to start an argument but how many lbs of downforce does that damn wing on the escudo produce? i just wanna know

6. Re: The most aerodynamic car ever.

Totally agree, this is one of the most aerodynamic car ever made. Though I dont know why Jaguar aernt continuing to produce them.
    I mean have you ever heard of a 6 cylinder engine (with the twin turbos) going over 200mph. You need great air cutting car design to do that!

7. Re: The most aerodynamic car ever.

Clearly you need some education boy! This car was produced in 1993 through 1995 in limited quantities... I think that's 40 units per year, you can purchase one in auctions though but I beg to differ that this would sell in an expensive price... Mike Tyson got his for $800,000. <!-- Signature -->

8. #8 GimmeaJaguar, Aug 9, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: The most aerodynamic car ever.

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from MB_CLK-GTR</i>
    <b>Clearly you need some education boy! This car was produced in 1993 through 1995 in limited quantities... I think that's 40 units per year, you can purchase one in auctions though but I beg to differ that this would sell in an expensive price... Mike Tyson got his for $800,000. </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

I hope you're not talking to me. Actually the car first hit production in 1992, and the final count was 350 (duPont registry Top 100 cars of the century). I don't know what you consider expensive, but anyone can buy a Bordeaux and tan XJ220 for the (relatively) low, low, low price of $275,000. Check it out: http://www.sovereignimports.com/cars/sov_brokerage_355.html <!-- Signature -->

9. #9 deuginthesky, Aug 9, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: The most aerodynamic car ever.

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from GimmeaJaguar</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from MB_CLK-GTR</i>
    <b>Clearly you need some education boy! This car was produced in 1993 through 1995 in limited quantities... I think that's 40 units per year, you can purchase one in auctions though but I beg to differ that this would sell in an expensive price... Mike Tyson got his for $800,000. </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

I hope you're not talking to me. Actually the car first hit production in 1992, and the final count was 350 (duPont registry Top 100 cars of the century). I don't know what you consider expensive, but anyone can buy a Bordeaux and tan XJ220 for the (relatively) low, low, low price of $275,000. Check it out: http://www.sovereignimports.com/cars/sov_brokerage_355.html </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

You're right.
    This car is called XJ 220 , because 220 cars were supposed to be made , but because of the demand , Jag increased the production up to 350 cars.

10. Re: The most aerodynamic car ever.

Ahh, it's called XJ220 because it was made to top out at 220 miles per hour. It got close, up to 214-217 miles per hour (claims vary).

Also you should specify what you mean by 'Aerodynamic'. This car has a drag co-efficient of 0.36CD, which is bettered by the Lexus LS430 which is only 0.26CD. That measures how 'slippery' a car is, basicly the lower the figure, the easier the car will slip through the air.

Stick you hand out of the window next time you're driving and make a stop signal (palm up). Then put you hand parallel to the ground and notice how much easier it slips through the air. This is what Aerodynamics is.

Downforce is different, designed to apply 'weight' (or air rushing at a certain angle towards/over the car to apply force to help with stability) to the car. This is why race cars often have/had large front and rear wings to literaly 'plant' the car on the road for better grip and stability (especially at high speeds).

Also the lower a cars CD is, the faster it will travel because there is less wind resistance.

Just thought I would clear that up for you children.<!-- Signature -->

11. Re: The most aerodynamic car ever.

Thank you professor science

12. Re: The most aerodynamic car ever.

Nobel prize for this man<!-- Signature -->

13. Re: The most aerodynamic car ever.

It's called Xj220 because its projected top speed was suppose to be 220mph

14. Re: The most aerodynamic car ever.

said.<!-- Signature -->

15. Re: The most aerodynamic car ever.

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from TIMMAHH</i>
    <b>Ahh, it's called XJ220 because it was made to top out at 220 miles per hour. It got close, up to 214-217 miles per hour (claims vary).

Also you should specify what you mean by 'Aerodynamic'. This car has a drag co-efficient of 0.36CD, which is bettered by the Lexus LS430 which is only 0.26CD. That measures how 'slippery' a car is, basicly the lower the figure, the easier the car will slip through the air.

Stick you hand out of the window next time you're driving and make a stop signal (palm up). Then put you hand parallel to the ground and notice how much easier it slips through the air. This is what Aerodynamics is.

Downforce is different, designed to apply 'weight' (or air rushing at a certain angle towards/over the car to apply force to help with stability) to the car. This is why race cars often have/had large front and rear wings to literaly 'plant' the car on the road for better grip and stability (especially at high speeds).

Also the lower a cars CD is, the faster it will travel because there is less wind resistance.

Just thought I would clear that up for you children.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Exactly. But this is one of the flattest cars around-that was my entire point. And because this car is so flat, it produces so much downforce. It doesn't need the huge spoilers because it has enough downforce already.<!-- Signature -->

16. Re: The most aerodynamic car ever.

just to tell you, a flat car won't produce any downforce, only no drag. you have to have an angle somewhere in there to make it have downforce, and yes this car does have a rear wing. it is inconspicuous.<!-- Signature -->

17. Re: The most aerodynamic car ever.

what about the italdesign series of the C2, C2 Spyder and the M12. apparently (not 100% sure) they are one of the most airodynamic cars around. i dont know and im not saying it is better or worse than the xj220 but i have read some where its extremely low. i know the spyder isnt as aerodynamic but thats the same with all cars<!-- Signature -->

18. Re: The most aerodynamic car ever.

The most aerodymic cars ever made was the Opel Calibra and the new Mercedes-Benz C-Class. They both have a Cx of 0,26.<!-- Signature -->