The Vandyne "SuperTurbo"

Discussion in 'Technical' started by 23inchrimzzzzzzz, Jun 30, 2010.

1. #1 23inchrimzzzzzzz, Jun 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    http://www.vandynesuperturbo.com/

The name sounds kind of stupid, but what its supposed to do is pure awesome. The technology has been around since WWII, so it's about damn time. I guess the Army gave them some cash to do R&D.

I want this, another turbo, methanol injection, and nitrous on a massive engine in a hotrod that looks kind of like this. What's a WWII-themed hotrod without gratuitous amounts of horsepower?

2. Meh, I kinda laughed when it said "better fuel consumption" for the turbocharger part, rather they just say "higher density air = more fuel injected"

Nissan March super-turbo used this tech.

3. #3 numbers, Jun 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
  4. Are you sure it's the same tech? The best info I could find says that the March used a sequential supercharger and turbcharger. The link I provided is an example of turbocompounding. For those who don't know, turbocompounding uses energy that spins the turbo and transfers it to the drivetrain through ether a transmission or hydraulic couplings. WWII planes used similar technology.

5. "for only 350 dollars a vehicle"

that is a MASSIVE amount for high production vehicles. Thats almost the cost of the entire engine on most cars.

6. Maybe in materials alone. A lot goes in to the making of an engine. Utility costs, labor costs, space/facility, casting, machining, injection molding, R&D, testing, inspection, and a lot of other machinery, assembly and processes. A lot of components on an engine.

And yes that is a high cost, and I would imagine it is an underestimate considering what it could take to integrate it into a vehicle, especially an existing one. Most manufacturers will not even use headers because it is so much cheaper and easier to use cast exhaust manifolds.

7. what?

8. production cost. how much something costs to make. Common NA engines are usually in the 500 dollar range to produce. Most companies avoid turbo cars because of the ~100-150 dollar upcharge. 350 is huge.