The world has 53.3 years of oil left

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by V8stangman, Jul 3, 2014.

1. #51 nappyjb37, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    For a new plant proposed for construction today (entering in service in 5 years), conventional (colloquially "dirty") coal is almost exactly on-par with advanced nuclear for total cost per kWh; including both capital cost and operation + maintenance. Hydro, wind, and CCNG are all cheaper on average, and so is nuclear when subsidies are included. However, if you look at advanced ("clean") coal, the costs go up dramatically. Of course, in the developed world it's a hard political sell to build a conventional coal plant, and coal syngas with CCS is already more expensive than solar PV on average. When regional variation is included, solar PV is already very competitive with conventional coal in a number of locations.

This is all based on data from the USA, where coal has very low prices and there are limited carbon taxes (ie: the above was likely already true in Europe 10 years ago). The economics were formerly in coal's favour, and we're going to see coal stick around until the existing plants break even, but new coal plants are going to become exceedingly rare. Outside of political intervention anyway (which is likely, considering the coal Ohio produces).

(source: US DoE - http://www.eia.gov/forecasts/aeo/pdf/electricity_generation.pdf )

2. I will bet you $10 000 that more crude oil is produced and refined in 2034 than 2014.

3. Well, seeing as I am friends with a couple geologists, I'll take their word over some people that watched a documentary somewhere, created by someone that isn't in the industry.

hate away, don't care. I know my industry will be around for a long time. keep buying plastic people!

4. Well, seeing as I AM a geologist I'll go ahead and say that your statements have an overwhelming stench of bullshit about them.

5. Work up in Saskatchewan, NWT, and Alberta. Sag-D has a lot of room to grow.

The field stretches from Peace River AB to Manitoba... We are talking about an area larger than Japan.

6. Physical extent =/= capacity.

7. Fun fact: rare earth metals are all fairly common across the globe. But they're fairly uniformly distributed, so they're uneconomical to produce outside of a few rare deposits. (Basically the same issue as the above argument).

8. I was told that there's (on average) a billion dollars worth of copper in every cubic kilometer of the Earth's crust, but that mining the average cubic kilometer of the Earth's crust would cost something like ten billion dollars.

9. Euh.... what did I do now?

10. Its somehow all your fault.

11. Can you explain why this is all my fault.

12. #63 ETB4U, Jul 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
  13. a(B)=a(a) + $Xr(B/A) + %X[%Xr(B/A)] + 2%X(v(B/A)+a(B/A)

X stands for cross product
    r is a vector and (B/A) means that the vector at point B is relative to A.