These magazines are bunk...

Discussion in '1988 Callaway Sledgehammer Corvette' started by Chevrolet097, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Re: A mclaren f1 would tear this peice of SHlT to shreds on a tr

Steve71 is right the sledgehammer corvette would smoke the mclaren. When I said the mclaren was a piece of shit I was wrong. It's a great car. It just pisses me off when I see shit like that knocking chevrolet.

2. #2 Scotti Ducati, Aug 9, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: A mclaren f1 would tear this peice of SHlT to shreds on a tr

Steve71
    The Mclaren F1 is NOT American , its made by Mclaren cars Ltd. in Woking , England. there are a handfull in the US but they were imported and converted to meet EPA DOT standards of the US , the company that does this is Ameritech , thier in Bridgefeild , Conn.
    say you have a extra $1,000,000 to spend on a car and decide you want a Mclaren , you locate one in Europe or anywhere else you can find one, i found one listed in the January 2000 issue of Dupont Registry page 183, low and behold they have a Mclaren F1 for sale asking price only ( and it says only lol ) $ 1,299,900 and that includes free shipping to any US port . now you call Ameritech tell them you located a F1 and you want it to meet EPA DOT standards and they charge you $ 160,000 to convert it , then they take out the two passengers seats because they don't have air bags and they replace the headlights and put very ugly appropiate height bumpers , the owner after they buy it has the option to undo what Ameritech has done and remove the bumpers and add the seats and replace the ugly square headlights with the cool round ones. after you bought the F1 you have to pay Uncle Sam a luxury tax of $ 81,120 and this brings the grand total to a $1,541,020 , now talk about sticker shock.
    the website that has the Mclaren F1 for sale is www.asamcars.com
    can you just imagine the insurance on this car?
    in Car and Driver ( Feb 91 ) it road tests the Ferrari F-40 and quotes insurances prices as being $15,000 every six months .

3. Re: A mclaren f1 would tear this peice of SHlT to shreds on a tr

your right this car sucks dick

4. Re: A mclaren f1 would tear this peice of SHlT to shreds on a tr

I'M TIRED OF TALKIN TO ASSHOLES WHO LOVE THOSE CRAPPY JAPENESE CARS OR VIPERS AND THAT KINDA SHITY CARS. IF YOU WANT TO TALK ABOUT REAL SPORTS CARS THEN TALK ABOUT A LAMBORGHINI, A FERRARI, AND ESPECIALLY THE NEW BUGATTI EB 16/4 VEYRON WHICH IS THE FASTEST PRODUCTION CAR RIGHT NOW, **** THE MCLAREN F1 OR STUPID ASS CHEVROLET CALLAWAY SLEDGEHAMMER CORVETTE.

THE VIPER IS REALLY UNDERPOWERED BECAUSE IT HAS A HUDGE V10 BUT A BMW V8 OR A PORSCHE 6CYLINDERS TWIN TURBO ENGINE WOULD BEAT IT. AND DON'T SAY ANY THING ABOUT A TUNED VIPER OR RACING VIPER CUZ IF THEY HAVE TO TUNE A V10 TO GET IT TO PERFORM GOOD THEN THEY REALLY HAVE PROBLEMS.

DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT TALKIN TO ME ABOUT A SUBARU. THEY SUCK. PEOPLE ARE COMPARING IT TO A BMW, BUT THEY DON'T COMPARE STUFF LIKE TOPSPEED OR QUALITY AND STUFF LIKE THAT CUZ THEY KNOW THAT THE BMW WOULD WIN. AND IT'S AWD SYSTEM IS REALLY OLD, MY GRANDFATHER HAD A LANCIA DELTA WITH THE SAME AWD 25 YEARS AGO.

JAPENESE CARS SUCK MY LEFT NUT,
    AMERICANS HAVE GREAT CARS (CAMARO, TRANS AM...) AND SOME SHITY CARS (VIPERS, CORVETTES)
    EURO CARS ARE THE BEST.<!-- Signature -->

5. Re: A mclaren f1 would tear this peice of SHlT to shreds on a tr

u stupid stupid #$%#!this chevvy whould knoch the #$%# out!

6. Re: A mclaren f1 would tear this peice of SHlT to shreds on a tr

Wow im really surprised that no one in this post has talked about the 800TT, lets keep it that way.

this car would cost half as much as the Mclaren, and is also faster

I hate how everyone on supercars.net is comparing ever single car against the Mclaren or the 800TT<!-- Signature -->

7. Re: A mclaren f1 would tear this peice of SHlT to shreds on a tr

the vette dosent stand a chanse against the F1 on the track..... go tune a real car like a ferrari or a lamborghini

8. Re: A mclaren f1 would tear this peice of SHlT to shreds on a tr

you are a FAGET

9. Re: A mclaren f1 would tear this peice of SHlT to shreds on a tr

EXACTALY CORECT

10. Re: A mclaren f1 would tear this peice of SHlT to shreds on a tr

YOUR PICS KICK ASS

11. Re: A mclaren f1 would tear this peice of SHlT to shreds on a tr

JESUS!!!!Forums are getting pointless now, people rave on and get so pissed off about other peoples opinions. Sure this guy who started the topic is a moron, McLarens are shit, you know how many would actually get driven every year? Probably next to none because you would get 10 Kays then you would be looking at $30K+ for all the costs of fuel servicing oil all that stuff would make this car unbareable to use as a daily driver you could certainly drive a beast like this every day just look at it,and as if Chevys weren't already beasts Callaway goes and makes em better!!i would much prefer paying thousands for fuel for this car every yeare then all that insurance and shit for a McLaren. Who cares if they are hand made???or are fast as hell, i don't think many people would be happy if they wasted, yes WASTED so much money on a McLaren.....The roar of this cars V8 would tear the sheets off any fibre-glass or carbon fire cars. this is made outta American steel baby!

12. Re: A mclaren f1 would tear this peice of SHlT to shreds on a tr

bro once u hear a mclaren engine there is no going back to ur POS lil chevy and ford garbag...i suppose ur one of those dork who think that a boss mustang could destroy any car in the world...i love america but we dont make the greatest cars!!

13. Re: A mclaren f1 would tear this peice of SHlT to shreds on a tr

Theres no way you can deny that this Callaway is just plain awesome. The McLaren is awesome too, but it costs more than twice of what the Callaway does. I personally would prefer the Vette over the McLaren. Even if you did buy a McLaren, just how many times are you going to be going 240 mph, same with the Callaway. I myself am perfectly happy with the 2002 Z06. It goes 0-60 in 4 seconds and still has a great Bose sound system, A/C. IT CAN EVEN HOLD 2 GOLFBAGS IN THE TRUNK!! You get all that for just $50,420. You could buy 10 of them for half the price of a McLaren.

14. Re: A mclaren f1 would tear this peice of SHlT to shreds on a tr

im a new member and i no mor shit than you

15. Re: A mclaren f1 would tear this peice of SHlT to shreds on a tr

Once you FEEL a Chevy engine there is no going back.

16. Re: A mclaren f1 would tear this peice of SHlT to shreds on a tr

what about working on a chevy 3.8 liter gen II v6. That thing sucks major a$$. It took a few hours just to change the spark plugs and wires. The dealer was going to charge $240 to change them, now I know why! It is so freaking hard to get a tool near any bolts in that cramped piece of junk. I remember when american cars were easy to work on now the simplest maintenance is the biggest ordeal. I can take out the engine and transmission in my 51 dodge and have it in again faster than someone can change wires and plugs in a 96 camaro v6. What is up with the engineers of cars these days. Its a conspiracy against the do it yourselfer. (Lets make a car impossible to fix if it breaks that way you can spend the money to have someone else fix it or you will just get a new car.) That is the conspiracy!!
    Does anyone else know how I feel?

17. A mclaren f1 would tear this peice of SHlT to shreds on a track.

Need i say more<!-- Signature -->

18. Re: A mclaren f1 would tear this peice of SHlT to shreds on a tr

But not on the highway or in the pocketbook.

19. Re: A mclaren f1 would tear this peice of SHlT to shreds on a tr

The hell with you and your damn peice of forein shit this corvette would walk all over you damn mclaren

20. Re: A mclaren f1 would tear this peice of SHlT to shreds on a tr

In Road & Tracks road tests 1999 issue Mario Andretti drove the Mclaren
    F1 to a top its topspeed of 217.7 mph and here is a quote about the F1's
    great race track capabilities .

" Overall, a very impressive car. But i was really suprised as how
    aerodynamicly unstable it was, Absolutly unstable. I was taking corners
    at about 200 mph, but probably could have taken them quite a bit quicker
    if the back end hadn't wanted to keep hanging itself out.
    This really caught me by suprise. I never thought it was going to move
    around the way it did. Also the speedometer was really optimistic,
    indicating that i had hit 240 mph, when i was really only going 217.
    Nevertheless, its the only car that i had to use the brakes before going
    into the corners to feel safe. That was a scary 217."

here are some more quotes about the Mclarens handling. ( Road & Track
    Dec 1997 )
    " Handling balance is biased toward understeer-too strongly, thought
    Road Test Editor Kim Reynolds, who ran the F1 on the skidpad. He said
    the pronounced understeer kept the car from generating anything better
    than a rather average 0.86 g. All the Recent Porsches and Ferraris we've
    tested , for instance , generate more then 0.90g. "
    another quote from the test notes section.
    " Around the skidpad, the F1 understeered very heavily and required
    sharp stabs at the throttle
    to bring the tail out."

the F1 slalom speed is 64.5 mph and it could only do a 0.86g on the
    skidpad.now these numbers are not that impressive compared to a 2002
    Chevy Corvette Z06 which does the slalom in 70.3 mph and on the skidpad
    it generates a 0.99g ( Motor Trend Feb 2002 ) now thats a impressive
    handing car.
    The Callaway Sledgehammer was based on a stock 1988 Corvette , but
    chassis was modified by Carroll Smith who helped the Ford GT40s win
    back to back LeMans wins in the 60s.
    and the Stock Callaways TT slalom speed is 65.7 and its generates a
    0.95g now i'm sure the Sledghammers number are even better then these.
    The F1 coulnd't beat the Sledghammer around a race track because its not
    a great handling car.
    now maybe if you want to try another track like a dragstrip the
    Sledgehammer will win there as well the Mclaren F1 does the 1/4 mile in
    11.6 @125.9 mph ( R & T Dec 97 ) and the Sledgehammer does it in 10.6 @
    146 mph ( R & T exotic cars quartley 1990 ) thats a full second and in
    drag racing thats eterinty.
    Top Speed, Mario only got 217.7 mph in the F1 and its not because he
    cant drive ,and we all know the Sledgehammer did 254.76 mph at the
    Transportation Reseach Center in Ohio and the Sledgehammer was driven
    from Old Lym , CT to the test and drove home afterwards.
    now thats faster the the 231 mph the F1 did at Nardo and fster still
    then the 240.1 mph. now you don't have to like the Callaway but you have
    to respect what it did and not call it a P.O.S. i love the Mclaren i
    think its a great car that speaks for iself. bu i'm just stating the
    facts the Mclaren isnt a great handling car so the chances of this beating this on a race track are slim and none.

21. Re: A mclaren f1 would tear this peice of SHlT to shreds on a tr

the mclaren is by far the best street legal car ever made this car sucks. if it is so great then how come only one was made

22. Re: A mclaren f1 would tear this peice of SHlT to shreds on a tr

SupraCharged

The reason Callaway only made one is because there is no money to be made in cars that cost $ 400,000 , especially back in 1988 , look at Mclaren there original plan was to build 300 F1s they only made 100 ,because they were losing money purely from a financial standpoint the Mclaren F1 was a failure, look at Bugatti they went bankrupt there was no demand for thier EB 110 which cost over $350,000 , another example Vector went brankrupt trying to sell the W8 TT for $ 489,800 , Jaguar could't sell any XJ 220's i belive they were asking $350,000 , there is NO profits to be made in half million dollar exotic cars .unless of course your Ferrari, which had no problem sell the F40 for $ 418,700 or the F-50 which Ferrari made jump through hoops to buy with their lease only option for a total price of $560,640, Ferrari is the sole exception , Most companys can making money selling Exotic cars as long as the price doesn't exceed $ 200,000, Lamborghini is a good example in the late 80s they sold the Countach for roughy a little above $100,000 and they created a loyal following and when the Diablo came out people had no problems paying out over $200,000 .
    and Porsche has always been able to sell thier flagship for over $100,000 because of thier reputation for building quality fast cars.
    just because the target market group for these cars are the rich doesn't mean there will to part with massive amounts of their money.
    the Sledgehammer is a great car and so is the Mclaren F1 if anyone cant see this there blinded by ignorance.

23. Re: A mclaren f1 would tear this peice of SHlT to shreds on a tr

Damnit guys this car would smoke the $hit outta a mclaren...it goes more than 250 mph.

Anyway, i think the f1 is an american made car...or am i wrong?

24. Re: A mclaren f1 would tear this peice of SHlT to shreds on a tr

Man, that gut just doesn't get it.

25. Re: A mclaren f1 would tear this peice of SHlT to shreds on a tr

its called wind moron...wind mixed wit human error