They've got this very wrong

Discussion in '1990 Porsche 928 GT' started by Alexbowes, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Th Porsche 928s has 300bhp. It does 158 mph and its engine is 4.7. I know because my dad has one.

2. Re: They've got this very wrong

No kidding. I work for the Air Force and live in Germany. I bought a "converted 928-S" (it is a gray market car). The previous owner took me out on the autobahn and put me back in the seat at 140 MPH, on the test drive. It has 310 HP and will top out at 165, but that is really pushing it.

3. Re: They've got this very wrong

you are right the 928S has 310 bhp, my dad also has one that is a grey market car purchased in germany. Those numbers may be for the US spec 928s because it was detuned to meet regulations. But the picture is of the european model. I can tell by the side marker lights, The US version has the markers in front of the wheel wells rather than behind like on the Euro model(don't ask me why). it may be because of some strange US regulation. the 928s definatly goes 165 but is very dangerous and stupid to attempt on american roads. if you got caught you would most definatly be arrested. <!-- Signature -->

4. Re: They've got this very wrong

you are right the 928S has 310 bhp, my dad also has one that is a grey market car purchased in germany. Those numbers may be for the US spec 928s because it was detuned to meet regulations. But the picture is of the european model. I can tell by the side marker lights, The US version has the markers in front of the wheel wells rather than behind like on the Euro model(don't ask me why). it may be because of some strange US regulation. the 928s definatly goes 165 but is very dangerous and stupid to attempt on american roads. if you got caught you would most definatly be arrested.

5. Re: They've got this very wrong

you are right the 928S has 310 bhp, my dad also has one that is a grey market car purchased in germany. Those numbers may be for the US spec 928s because it was detuned to meet regulations. But the picture is of the european model. I can tell by the side marker lights, The US version has the markers in front of the wheel wells rather than behind like on the Euro model(don't ask me why). it may be because of some strange US regulation. the 928s definatly goes 165 but is very dangerous and stupid to attempt on american roads. if you got caught you would most definatly be arrested.

6. Re: They've got this very wrong

I never said I did 165. The previous owner did. Even here where some of the roads are strait and true, I get butterflies in my stomach at anything over 130. The car does handle nice, but speeds over 120, you are relying too much on the condition of your tires and I am not willing to risk my life for that. It is nice to have a car that can and just know that it could.

7. Re: They've got this very wrong

Either way this car is badass<!-- Signature -->

8. Re: They've got this very wrong

I see what you mean by the picture being a Euro but the spec like HP and top speed and so on are true for the U.S. version according to the owners manual. I own a 1985 928 S and I saw that info in the back of my owners manual along with some interesting charts. The fastest I have gone so far is 125mph and it was smooth. But I am soon to head out to Miami driving for spring break so that number may go up. That 310 Euro model sounds nice.

9. Re: They've got this very wrong

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from thecar</i>
    <b>Th Porsche 928s has 300bhp. It does 158 mph and its engine is 4.7. I know because my dad has one.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->good eye!<!-- Signature -->

10. Re: They've got this very wrong

328s are ugly. I'm glad they decided to bring back the 911.<!-- Signature -->

11. Re: They've got this very wrong

Quote from Danvm

" 328s are ugly. I'm glad they decided to bring back the 911. "
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

u mean 928 and porsche never killed the 911 for the 928. The 928 was just another model porsche decided to make.<!-- Signature -->

12. Re: They've got this very wrong

The price is all screwed up alos, 50,000USD.....not true, I could've bought one from the origenol owner at a car show for $15,000. He fully restored the thing except for the leather seats. They had a few creases but that was about it, excelletn car....I should have bought it!

13. Re: They've got this very wrong

They never killed off the 911 and for the record this 928 is badass
    and looks way,way better than the 911 of it's time.
    I wish they didn't cancel the 928 production in '95 that was the
    worst mistake Porsche ever made,other then Cayenne,lol need I say more!~?

14. Re: They've got this very wrong

I believe the story is that Porsche originally envisaged the 928 to be the successor to the 911 and were actually going to badge it as such... they thought it might be nice to revolutionise the 911 rather than evolve it (as they have now done for 30+ years)... thankfully, at the last minute they decided it would not be such a good idea (otherwise, we would have no Porsche alive today because the 928 unfortunately failed - sales-wise - and the 993, Boxster and 996 were make-or-break cars for Porsche)... and before anyone goes flaming me for being a 928-hater, I actually love them and fully intend to buy one hopefully in about 2 years...

Cheers!

15. #16 Mikka, Aug 1, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re:

Yeah, you're right, but until the S4 model of 1987 Europe and the US got different models of the 928, in 1985 the 32 valve 5 liter was introduced in the US, while the European model remained the 16 valve 4.7 until 1987. It's all explained right here: http://www.wolfeden.org/928S4/history.php