Thinking of switching to Linux.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Mustang Cobra R, Jun 1, 2008.

1. I'm thinking of switching my second computer to Linux. I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to Linux so I wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions or pointers to help me out. I was thinking of going with Fedora 9.

2. Don't. It's not really as friendly to get used to as you'd wish.

3. Get Ubuntu, it's by far the most supported anymore.

edit -- for desktop use

4. What Linux is best for server use?

5. Linux, at least Gnome, is a lot friendly/easier than Windows these days, assuming you have no/equal experience with both. Much better thought out with an eye to simplicity at every turn (as opposed to Window's 20 years of grandfathering in old code and ideas)

6. If I was using it for a very specific purpose, with speed and security as top priority, I'd roll my own system (starting from Debian probably) with the absolute minimum packages.

7. Ok, Thanx.

8. Now which version of Ubuntu? There's Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Edbuntu etc. Also, I want to make sure that whichever version I use is fairly compatible with most windows programs. Most espically games. (I know Doom works so that's actually good enough for me)

9. Ubuntu is best (which uses the Gnome interface). Xubuntu is XFCE which is more for l33d d00dz (basically a stripped-down Gnome). Kubuntu is KDE which rivals Vista for tacky over-design.

You can run windows programs (with Wine) but you won't want to since there are native equivalents for everything.

10. When I had a Linux server I used Red Hat simply because it had the largest community from which to get support from.

11. I second ubuntu, the new version is a serious rival to vista. If I was microsoft I would be worried.

12. Linux ... on a server ? Each to their own I guess ...