This car can go upside down

Discussion in '2002 Ferrari F2002' started by Ferrar F50 GT, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Re: This car can go upside down

Ya, I've heard that this thing can go upside down and i think it's true because they try to get as much downforce out of the cars as possible. And to that other person that said this had a lot of DRAG are you nuts.<!-- Signature -->

2. Re: This car can go upside down

360, dude, try again! deceleration isn't fictional!! think of acceleration as the positive(+) side and deceleration as the negative(-). Acceleration is the gain of velocity, deceleration is the loss of velocity. For example, 0-60mph is acceleration; 60-0mph is deceleration. make sense?<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: This car can go upside down

ShuemyFan, you are totally contradicting yourself. Deceleration is completely fictional. You are right that if it did exist, it would be the negative side, but the simple fact is that it is the negative side of acceleration and not a separate thing. What most people call deceleration is simply negative acceleration. As I stated before, there is no such thing as deceleration.

4. #4 ReeK, Aug 9, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: This car can go upside down

de·cel·er·ate Pronunciation Key (d-sl-rt)
    v. de·cel·er·at·ed, de·cel·er·at·ing, de·cel·er·ates
    v. tr.
    To decrease the velocity of.
    To slow down the rate of advancement of: measures intended to decelerate the arms buildup.

v. intr.
    To decrease in velocity.

courtesy of www.dictionary.com

Deceleration is a valid word used to describe negative acceleration, In all my years as an engineer, those who study applied physics and mathematics don't use the word, but those who are not studied in physics and mathematics do use it.

5. Re: This car can go upside down

True it is a valid word for the lay-person, but that does not mean that it is a valid action or whatever you wish to call it. As I said before it was made up simply to help people understand the possibility of having a negative acceleration. All it is, is a word.

6. Re: This car can go upside down

Yes, because 'deceleration' is simply acceleration in a different direction or 'negative acceleration' as you said earlier.

7. Re: This car can go upside down

I BELEIVE THE SALEEN S7 CAN DRIVE INVERTED AS WELL.

8. Re: This car can go upside down

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from LEGALLYINSANE</i>
    <b>I BELEIVE THE SALEEN S7 CAN DRIVE INVERTED AS WELL.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

at what speed?

9. Re: This car can go upside down

im sorry but 360spdKG is right. If you took physics you would learn that deceleration doesnt exist. The word acceleration means a change in velocity (NOT speed).

10. Re: This car can go upside down

this is an interesting thought that u guys brought up so if theres accelreation but no such thing as declereation whats a change in velocity then (change bein slowing down all together) ? is there even a word for it? or is it just called slowing down?

11. Re: This car can go upside down

who gives. you wont be seeing these cars going upsidedown and i dont know why would they even waste their time doing that rather than juss testing the car and look for improvements. Even if the car were to go upside down. i dont think they would want to let go of the gas pedal.

12. Re: This car can go upside down

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from TurboCharged S45</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Modena3</i>
    <b>this thing has so much drag that if you were going 200mph and you lifted the gas the drag alone would slow it with about 1g of forward force thats about the same force as stopping from 60 in 120 ft</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Do you mean drag or downforce? cause i know these people do all they can to keep the drag down. correct me if im wrong.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE --> Well they kind do, they try to keep down any extra drag, besides they incredible amounts of downforce which causes immense amounts of drag by itself.<!-- Signature -->

13. Re: This car can go upside down

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from SaYjAiBaO</i>
    <b>who gives. you wont be seeing these cars going upsidedown and i dont know why would they even waste their time doing that rather than juss testing the car and look for improvements. Even if the car were to go upside down. i dont think they would want to let go of the gas pedal.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    Dont think of acceleration as "speeding up" because thats not what it is. Acceleration, from a physics standpoint, is a change in velocity, wether it be a POSITIVE change or a NEGATIVE chage.

14. Re: This car can go upside down

sorry, i thought the quote button quoted the above post, not the one below. heres what i meant to quote.

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from ShuemyFan</i>
    <b>360, dude, try again! deceleration isn't fictional!! think of acceleration as the positive(+) side and deceleration as the negative(-). Acceleration is the gain of velocity, deceleration is the loss of velocity. For example, 0-60mph is acceleration; 60-0mph is deceleration. make sense?</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

15. Re: This car can go upside down

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from OhOneSS</i>
    <b>I've actually talked to guy at work who also happens to have a doctorate in Physics. He says while it is possible to "drive on the ceiling" at 100+ mph, the cars couldn't do it for very long because the force of gravity would eventually overcome the downforce. Maximum time is about 30 seconds. To make happen a longer time, the spoilers would have to be huge.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

as long as the speed is kept up, then gravity won't overcome the 'up' force, maybe you should ask your 'friend' why, with a doctorate in Physics, he believes that Gravity (a constant force) can suddenly increase to overcome another constant force? (car at constant velocity)

16. Re: This car can go upside down

The acceleration of the car is more important that it's velocity. The car would need to keep it's acceleration up to maintain it's ability to drive on the ceiling. Eventually, the car won't be accelerating enough to keep it on the ceiling. F1 cars can really go maybe 260 mph, tops. Even before it would get to 260, it would not accelerate that much. I think my friend was taking this into consideration.

In reality, this conversation is very hypothetical. For this to happen, you'd need to build a track that could go upside down. Also, the track would need to use centrifical force to kind of sling the car along the ceiling.<!-- Signature -->

17. Re: This car can go upside down

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from OhOneSS</i>
    <b>The acceleration of the car is more important that it's velocity. The car would need to keep it's acceleration up to maintain it's ability to drive on the ceiling. Eventually, the car won't be accelerating enough to keep it on the ceiling. F1 cars can really go maybe 260 mph, tops. Even before it would get to 260, it would not accelerate that much. I think my friend was taking this into consideration.

In reality, this conversation is very hypothetical. For this to happen, you'd need to build a track that could go upside down. Also, the track would need to use centrifical force to kind of sling the car along the ceiling.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

i'm sorry but i dont believe u, i dont know huge amounts of physics i only did it up to yr11 however answer me this.
    does a car only have downforce when excleration whether it be exceleating, decelerating or keeping at a constant speed, the air passing over it (ignoring un even air) will produce certain amounts at certain speeds, example at 100kph an f1-2002 will produce 500kg of down force. if the car goes faster it will produce more and slower less. if his wasnt the fact how do you explain the upwards force aplied to airplanes. the go fast enough so that they can generate huge amounts of upforce to keep them in the air (or on the ceiling with an f1 car). if not airplanes wouldnt work. i hope that made sense to you.<!-- Signature -->

18. Re: This car can go upside down

OneOhSS,

FerrariKing is right, Velocity has more to do with downforce than acceleration, the faster you go, the more downforce you generate, at high speeds the downforce is so much that the car cannot accelerate, So acceleration is Zero but the downforce is still there.

I hope your 'friend' with the 'doctorate' can explain this to you.

19. Re: This car can go upside down

Ohone, you are wrong. The car doesnt have to accelerate to have downforce, it has to be moving.
    Ferrariking is right. I have taken physics and am a college student majoring in engineering, which is all physics and math. While i havent started yet, i still know wtf im talking about.It can drive indefinately on the ceiling. Also, the drag is tremendos on these things. They top out at about 190-200 with 900hp. why? the openi wheels creat alot of drag and so do the spoliers. Downforce is not free, you pay for it with drag.

20. Re: This car can go upside down

FerrariKing, you are right, but come on man, the word is acceleration not exceleration. Also, there is no such thing as deceleration, so I don't know where you got that from.

21. Did you know that this car (as in ALL F1 cars) can go upside down, when its doing 100mph+. The reason is because it has so much downforce that it can lift its own weight. Cool huh?
    And did you know its engine weighs only 500kg? Thats half of what a normal Sedan's 6 cylinder engine would weight. Well i just found those facts out, and they're pretty cool.<!-- Signature -->

22. Re: This car can go upside down

yeah, the upside down fact is really kool, indy cars and champ cars can do the same. but i've heard a little differently on that engine spec, the whole F1 car weighs 600kg. i dont think the engine itself weighs 500kg (1200lbs)<!-- Signature -->

23. #23 TazDevil, Aug 9, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: This car can go upside down

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from ShuemyFan</i>
    <b>yeah, the upside down fact is really kool, indy cars and champ cars can do the same. but i've heard a little differently on that engine spec, the whole F1 car weighs 600kg. i dont think the engine itself weighs 500kg (1200lbs)</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

My bad...its actually less then 100kg!!!!

check it out

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport/hi/english/static/in_depth/motorsport/2002/formula_one/car_guide/engine.stm
    <!-- Signature -->

24. Re: This car can go upside down

this thing has so much drag that if you were going 200mph and you lifted the gas the drag alone would slow it with about 1g of forward force thats about the same force as stopping from 60 in 120 ft<!-- Signature -->

25. Re: This car can go upside down

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Modena3</i>
    <b>this thing has so much drag that if you were going 200mph and you lifted the gas the drag alone would slow it with about 1g of forward force thats about the same force as stopping from 60 in 120 ft</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Do you mean drag or downforce? cause i know these people do all they can to keep the drag down. correct me if im wrong.