This car was and still is way ahead of it's time.

Discussion in '1995 Ford GT90 Concept' started by MarkM91286, Aug 9, 2002.

1. If you ask me, this car was and still is way ahead of it's time. I'm not dissing it or anything, I love it but it looks like it came from a sci-fi racing movie. All it needs is some hovercraft engines and it's good to go.<!-- Signature -->

2. Re: This car was and still is way ahead of it's time.

hahaha THAT WOULD BE SWEET!!!

3. Re: This car was and still is way ahead of it's time.

That would be cool - the world's fastest hovercraft!!

4. Re: This car was and still is way ahead of it's time.

actually, there is a hovercraft being produced right now, by an undercover company. The company's president invited the world's most influential people to the head quarters amongs them Bill Gates, Bush etc. to uncover their plans. IM DEAD SERIOUS!

5. Re: This car was and still is way ahead of it's time.

no i think ur nuts.

thing with hovercrafts is it would slide across ground withh its weight.

6. Re: This car was and still is way ahead of it's time.

Uh, isn't that what hover crafts are supposed to do

7. Re: This car was and still is way ahead of it's time.

No, they have powerful fans blowing air down, with a giant air sac that fills up and lets air out underneath so that the hovercraft is literally floating on air.

8. Re: This car was and still is way ahead of it's time.

Dah. I've built my own miniture model on my own. I know how they work.

9. Re: This car was and still is way ahead of it's time.

Then y did you agree that hovercrafts slide across the ground with their weight? Or did I misunderstand what he said?

10. Re: This car was and still is way ahead of it's time.

Technically speaking, they do. they are shaped like this(ignore periods):
    ...__________...
    ..(_)aaaaaa(_)..
    ...|aaaaaaaa|...
    WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
    WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

a= air cution
    W= water or near flat pavement

The big tube only keeps the cution(i know that ain't spelled right) of air contained, little flaps on the side hang down into the water to hold as much air as possible inside and keeps it while it moves. So yes, they are generally above water but not all of it.

Understand why I agreed now?

11. Re: This car was and still is way ahead of it's time.

no, I still don't understand why, it's a soft cushion, that's enclosed on the bottom, it's the cushion, that supports it, and the air layer underneath the cushion that is there because the cushion has holes to let it out so that there is a layer of air between the cushion and the surface to allow the hovercraft to glide along the surface.

12. Re: This car was and still is way ahead of it's time.

You must be talking about the little hovercrafts. The big one don't have holes in their primary tubing, they use props. As for small ones your right, on flat waters they don't touch it. The larger ones do however.

13. Re: This car was and still is way ahead of it's time.

How did this thread go from the GT90 (which is an amazing car and was ahead of its time) to hovercrafts!?!?!?

Some of you people amaze me.

14. Re: This car was and still is way ahead of it's time.

PasswordPlease was reading my comment a bit too carefully and I'm trying to straighten it out.

15. Re: This car was and still is way ahead of it's time.

I have a remote control Hover Craft. Its awsome it goes on land and water!

16. Re: This car was and still is way ahead of it's time.

no no what i mean by hovercraft is there is a battery not a fan blowing air. this battery produces a force that counteracts the force of gravity. (for every matter there is anti matter for every force there is anti force)

17. Re: This car was and still is way ahead of it's time.

Oh! You mean megnetic levitation.

18. Re: This car was and still is way ahead of its time.

This is one of the boldest and most exciting vehicles ever to come out of Detroit. I was and am still a big fan of every aspect of this vehicle, from the shape to its incredible engineering. I think cars like this one will help people regain respect for American automobiles.

BMW wishes the Z4 had lines like this thing.

19. Re: This car was and still is way ahead of it's time.

The only possible downsides to this cars are 1. it didn't go into production and 2. it only had a five speed gearbox not a six. Imagine it's acceleration if it had that.

20. Re:

5 speeds are better than 6 when you are talking about balls-out acceleration. The fastest cars on earth go 350 mph with only 2 speeds.

21. Re: This car was and still is way ahead of it's time.

You are nuts. The engine stops temporarally whilst gearing up. this causes the car to stop accelerating for just a tiny bit, but then the engine has to work even harder to accelerate at the same speed as if it didn't have to gear up.

22. Re: This car was and still is way ahead of it's time.

yes but if you had six gears you'd be able to make the first one bigger than the first on the 5-speed and the last smaller than the last on the 5-speed hence providing you with better first gear acceleration and allowing you to top out at a higher speed

23. Re: This car was and still is way ahead of it's time.

Transmissions are designed for their engine and all round vehicle purpose. If the 5 speed does the job better then the 6, that is what they will put in it.

24. Re: This car was and still is way ahead of it's time.

aha aha, if you'd know anything about physics however you'd realize that the bigger the gear is the slower it turns while the power being put in stays the same therefore the thing that increases is the strength with which the gear turns allowing the car to be pushed with more strength giving it better acceleration. but hey physics can't possibly be applied here, right? and how could i possibly go against such an amazingly versed argument as

"Transmissions are designed for their engine and all round vehicle purpose. If the 5 speed does the job better then the 6, that is what they will put in it. "

i mean obviously every car that comes out of the factory comes out with an optimal transmission, that's why nobody ever upgrades transmissions. lets also not forget that cars are being made more and more with six speed trannies instead of five speed, once again however these companies tremble at the might of your powerful argument. "cuz i said so" arguments work on the stupid, unless you have factual information please keep it to yourself.

25. Re:

The fastest cars in the world have two speeds, nothing can out-accelerate them, nothing has a higher top speed.

According to your logic, a 10-speed gear box will allow a vehicle to accelerate faster than a 3-speed gearbox, but his isn't the case. A 5-speed gear box can have just as steep a 1st gear and just as flat a last gear as a 6-speed gearbox, without really giving anything up in between.

Camaros, Firebirds, Cobras, and Corvettes, I know, can go faster in 5th gear than in 6th gear by 10 mph. This, as you so generously pointed out, is due to the physics of the gears. Physics is a blunt tool in the hands of the ignorant.