This engine is amazing!!

Discussion in '1991 Mazda 787B' started by Mr Rotary, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Re: This engine is amazing!!

Please be be more inventive of you Avatar
    Cheers

2. 2622cc and 700HP????!!!!
    This rotary engine (and all the other rotaries by Mazda as well) is truly amazing!!! It's so small and so light, but then it's more powerful than anything. With this engine, the car only weights 1800lb as a result. No wonder this car is such a legend.

3. Re: This engine is amazing!!

awesome, finally people are respecting rotary engines, Felix Wankel is a true legend, he designed this type of engine.

4. Re: This engine is amazing!!

I've known about this car for many years and I always thought the engine was turbocharged. 700-hp is amazing.<!-- Signature -->

5. Re: This engine is amazing!!

Me too! i'm still amazed at the torque. Then again its a 2-cycle or that there is one power stroke out of every two, instead of four. So that doubles the torque. even so its still impressive. It also possibly runs a compression ratio a reciprocating engine couldn't achieve.<!-- Signature -->

6. Re: This engine is amazing!!

hell yeah, rotaries rule, only thing is they are gas hogs. And can lean out nice and easy :(
    I wish more companies would had pursued them back in the 60s and 7 0s instead of giving up on them. Those pansies ;-)
    I have seen one other company who made rotary engines, and they were small, making about 200hp max out of a 4 rotor, and were for marine uses (boats)

There are at least two companies who make them for R/C cars, one for cars, one for planes<!-- Signature -->

7. Re: This engine is amazing!!

And oh yeah, btw Mazda did a shitty job on them somewhat
    The materials are all messed up, its like they just go to a junkyard and toss in everything they could find they mold it into a rotor housings.
    I rememember seeing a list of the main metals for the housings, it was disgusting ;-)
    <!-- Signature -->

8. Re: This engine is amazing!!

The rotary is now banned from Lemans (and a lot of other races)
    Mazda was very lcky to win that race as the new rules which would of banned the rotary where to take place that year of it's win. They went all out the previous year to win but only came in 3rd (in think it was)

9. Re: This engine is amazing!!

The rotary is now banned from Lemans (and a lot of other races)???

why did they do this?

10. Re: This engine is amazing!!

The rotary has an 'unfair' advatage, that bein, lightwight, reliable, best HP per litre and a lot cheaper to build.

In IMSA, the Rotary was heavily penalised, in which weights where inserted in veihicles to weigh them down. So much so, they where quite dangerous to drive...fact

11. Re: This engine is amazing!!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from venomous</i>
    <b>Me too! i'm still amazed at the torque. Then again its a 2-cycle or that there is one power stroke out of every two, instead of four. So that doubles the torque. even so its still impressive. It also possibly runs a compression ratio a reciprocating engine couldn't achieve.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

rotarys actually are 4-cycle, they have a separate intake, compression, power and exhaust cycle. it's just that each stage is continuously being done, whereas in a cylinder engine each cylinder can only cycle thru one stage at a time.

12. Re: This engine is amazing!!

What's so great about this car? It won LeMans once, I hardly consider it a legend. Porsche 956962 won LeMans more times in a span of 10 years than any 1 car ever.<!-- Signature -->

13. Re: This engine is amazing!!

A) It is the first & only Japanese manufacturer to take the title

B) The only and first motor other than a reciprocating unit to win Le Mans.

14. Re: This engine is amazing!!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Mr Rotary</i>
    <b>A) It is the first & only Japanese manufacturer to take the title

B) The only and first motor other than a reciprocating unit to win Le Mans.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

So what, a japanese car can win LeMans, German cars have been doing it for like 50 years give or take. <!-- Signature -->

15. Re: This engine is amazing!!

Hence why it makes it more so remarkable.

16. Re: This engine is amazing!!

Then the 956/962 must be a god.

17. Re: This engine is amazing!!

Well, they are, cause theres nobody challenging them on their races.<!-- Signature -->

18. Re: This engine is amazing!!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Davut</i>
    <b>2622cc and 700HP????!!!!
    This rotary engine (and all the other rotaries by Mazda as well) is truly amazing!!! It's so small and so light, but then it's more powerful than anything. With this engine, the car only weights 1800lb as a result. No wonder this car is such a legend.
    </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

You can't just say this engine is good, well, how good is it?

No wonder its a legend? what the heck are you talking about?

Rotary engines are not all very good engine, you're out of your damn mind.<!-- Signature -->

19. Re: This engine is amazing!!

I'm sure if the rules where re-written, Mazda would be more than happy to compete again.

20. Re: This engine is amazing!!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from kenmclaren</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Davut</i>
    <b>2622cc and 700HP????!!!!
    </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

You can't just say this engine is good, well, how good is it?

No wonder its a legend? what the heck are you talking about?

Rotary engines are not all very good engine, you're out of your damn mind.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

they produce more power with lighter weight

what more could you want?

long term reliability of course is an issue but for race cars its not, and for production cars (RX-7) as long as you don't modify it, or modify it CORRECTLY (which many people don't), it will last. of course it's not as tolerant as a piston engine but it's worth the lighter weight

21. Re: This engine is amazing!!

THe great thing with a Rotary is that all the hot parts are available straight out of the Mazda Catalogue, even peripherally ported rotor housings which was an option on earlier RX-2's

22. #22 dr no, Aug 10, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
  23. Re: This engine is amazing!!

Rotary engines are permitted at LeMans again, I believe

I think they were banned for the two or three years after the 787's win. Or maybe this year is the first they're allowed back.

Either way, they're allowed back in

24. Re: This engine is amazing!!

Do you have any hard evidence on that quote, would luv to see it!

25. Re: This engine is amazing!!

I recently bought an RX-7, and I have become a rotary enthusiust. The power you get from such a small engine is incredible!