This is just a cheap american...

Discussion in '2001 Pontiac Vibe GT-R Concept' started by PRO, Aug 10, 2002.

1. No wonder american car industry has no effect abroad. Since it only copies existing models around the world. This one is a Toyota Matrix, with another name badge and a uglier design. I don't know what pontiac is trying to claim with the two-piece shaped rip-off grill. Beemer style? Pontiac's design has been long lost, it started with the new bonneville and the worst thing to come out of the US was the Aztek, a terrible plastik "thing" what doesen't even look like a car. I am glad I dont have to deal with GM products...

2. Re: This is just a cheap american...

why the hatchback for a GTR??
    i would prefer it flatter and wider and have a rear spoiler instead of a hatchback....this one's better remain concept always

3. Re: This is just a cheap american...

Heart Beat Lowering.....<!-- Signature -->

4. Re: This is just a cheap american...

Just another american Compact trying to be rice. When it comes to sport compacts american cars suck ass. Hell they can't build mid size and sports cars that well. I guess they figure they have a chance of producing a better car than Honda,Toyota,Mitzu ect

5. Re: This is just a cheap american...

I don't know whether to cry or to laugh at the ignorance in your posts guys...
    take a look around you... get out of your house and drive an american car, its not the 80's anymore Bob...
    this car doesnt try to be "rice" and no its not a rebadged Toyota either... but if you take a look around other forums you'll find out why...
    laterz<!-- Signature -->

6. Re: This is just a cheap american...

I agree, get out of the import, drive an american car, and stop killing your own economy. we complain about the "recession" we are having, but right before it hit, look at what the american car companies had to do, downsize and lay off, than down goes the econ. same as the 80's. as for me, i like having a job, and a strong economy, and patriotism. get a clue, or move to japan and eat rice the rest of your life

7. Re: This is just a cheap american...

Shut tha fu*k up...americans are imports to us who dont fu*king live in the "great" usa...our imports are your domestic. and btw, our imports usually suck...<!-- Signature -->

8. Re: This is just a cheap american...

Zamdriver,

This country is so great because of our diversity. I personally love American sports cars more too, but you shouldn't knock somebody for buying imports. Look at any consumer report and you'll generally find that jap cars get the best of us in terms of quality. Consumers want the best thing they can get for their money. That is why American companies had to lay off...it sucks. Hopefully with both GM and Ford trying to come out with new designs we can turn the tide. <!-- Signature -->

9. Re: This is just a cheap american...

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from dimsum</i>
    <b>Just another american Compact trying to be rice. When it comes to sport compacts american cars suck ass. Hell they can't build mid size and sports cars that well. I guess they figure they have a chance of producing a better car than Honda,Toyota,Mitzu ect</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

I don't know if anybody knows this, but Toyota and GM colaborated on the Matrix and the Vibe, so they are one and alike. They are sister cars that share everything except the body style. Toyota designed the overall package which was approved by GM and then GM did the body. So basically this car is an import which an American skin. So by buying this car, you would be helping America's economy while buying a Japanese quality car.

10. Re: This is just a cheap american...

if the majority of you people hate american cars so bad, why do you look at them and say ridiculous shit when all it does is start a fued between imports and domestics. do the real talking on the streets. if you think your import is so great(if you even have one), then go out there and prove it instead of just talking shit here.

11. Re: This is just a cheap american...

"When it comes to sport compacts american cars suck ass."

I'd take an SVT Focus over the Civic Si or any other little japanese car in the price range, although I am a Honda fan. Maybe if they would stop being punks and sell us a Civic Type R...

I saw this car at the auto show here, other than the rear spolier I liked it, although they didn't have those awful blue lights coming out of the bottom. 190hp isnt too bad either.

-retsmah

12. Re: This is just a cheap american...

This one is for Ivanhoe. YES it IS a rebadged Toyota Matrix. That's EXACTLY what it is. Pontiac made a deal with Toyota and slapped Pontiac badges on it. I loved this car (and still do), but I liked it better when i thought it was all American. A real downer.
    As for American cars catching up with the times. blame our Gov't.

13. Re: This is just a cheap american...

I dont know why some American car likers and import lovers are crying.. We do already have better perfoming cars than Japan. I mean.. think about it.. And about this being a Toyota.. yeah so what? a Mazda truck is a FOrd Ranger.. and the future Honda Pickup will be powered by American V8 Power.. So stop crying.. and the worst thing is many of you that are hating live here in the US.. I agree if you hate this country so much then #$%#in leave.. its a simple as that. We do already make cars that perform better than the japanese cars do.. put it this way.. in the US what is Japanese's Sports car? Acura NSX right? American Sportscar here is a Corvette that kills the NSX in price and performance.. how about sporty coupes? Well lets see they got Integra type R RSX type S and none of those are faster than an F-body car. Now.. Trucks.. Toyota has the Tundra which Toyota says has more torque than any in its class and more than GM's 4.8L engine and they say they are more advanced.. hmm if that is so why does GM's 4.8L engine make less torque and less power yet it can tow about 1000 pounds more than the Tundra. <!-- Signature -->

14. Re: This is just a cheap american...

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from PRO</i>
    <b>No wonder american car industry has no effect abroad. Since it only copies existing models around the world. This one is a Toyota Matrix, with another name badge and a uglier design. I don't know what pontiac is trying to claim with the two-piece shaped rip-off grill. Beemer style? Pontiac's design has been long lost, it started with the new bonneville and the worst thing to come out of the US was the Aztek, a terrible plastik "thing" what doesen't even look like a car. I am glad I dont have to deal with GM products...</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->seening how the matrix and the vibe came out at the same time and pontiac and toyota worked together to make it how is it a copy they are the same car one wears a toyota badge one wears a pontiac badge bearly and american copy they were made at the same time loser <!-- Signature -->

15. Re: This is just a cheap american...

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Stormdriver8</i>
    <b>This one is for Ivanhoe. YES it IS a rebadged Toyota Matrix. That's EXACTLY what it is. Pontiac made a deal with Toyota and slapped Pontiac badges on it. I loved this car (and still do), but I liked it better when i thought it was all American. A real downer.
    As for American cars catching up with the times. blame our Gov't.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

---> have u read the whole thread?
    or even better have u checked the info about these 2 vehicles outside of this site ? the Pontiac Vibe /Toyota Matrix is the result of a joint venture between both car makers, Toyota provided the chasis and powertrains for BOTH, GM designed the interiors for BOTH and each brand designed the sheetmetal, even though the shape is similar, they are not quite the same thing, the beltline of the Toyota is lower, the jap styling is more rounded where the Pontiac is more edgy and devoid of all the funky side-cladding of previous Pontiacs <!-- Signature -->

16. Re: This is just a cheap american...

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from dimsum</i>
    <b>Just another american Compact trying to be rice. When it comes to sport compacts american cars suck ass. Hell they can't build mid size and sports cars that well. I guess they figure they have a chance of producing a better car than Honda,Toyota,Mitzu ect</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Can't build a good sports car, eh... look at the specs on a zo6, viper, the camaro/firebird aint that bad, and why not check out the vector... im sure you'll be suprised...

17. Re: This is just a cheap american...

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from PRO</i>
    <b>No wonder american car industry has no effect abroad. Since it only copies existing models around the world. ...</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Wow just another dumbass ric3boy.

This car was a JOINT venture between GM and Toyota. Meaning BOTH parts had imput on its design.

And if you want to talk about copying anothers look no further than the Japanese.

Hemi Heads, Varable Valve Timing, and CVTs were AMERICAN inventions.

Spyder757

18. Re: This is just a cheap american...

GTR...ughhh. what the hell was pontiac thinking...oh wait what more could we expect from the company which brought us the Aztek..GTR i can't belive that the Pontiac bastards would use a word that they don't know the meaning of..this is just another case of looks over power and neither are good..the term gtr is used on fast sleek FINELY tuned european supercars such as the Porsche 911 gtr seen in the lemans racing series..It is also used in japan on one of the worlds best tuner cars ever..The nissan skyline GTR this deserves the badge gtr unlike the damn dirty vibe...whos plastic parts and shit accel...is what american cars are known for nowadays.. You certinly have to be a dumb ass to think Stockcar racing is in fact racing...left turns and straightaways all day shouldn't be called racing.. not even a sport for that matter...but thats what the norm in america is now rednecks with 40s sitting and shouting words only understood by them...as they plant flowers around their dale erndheart memorial...American cars suck period and don't deserve the badge gtr on them..with exception to the Viper gtr..

P.W.H.A.C
    (people.who.hate.american.cars)

<!-- Signature -->

19. Re: This is just a cheap american...

well maybe if they built cars more people actually liked, that wouldn't have happened.

20. Re: This is just a cheap american...

Hey PRO you say America can't build sports cars then by do $25,000 mustangs, firebirds, and camaros beat any european that cost twice as much?

21. Re: This is just a cheap american...

Don't call this a cheap American when Japan give us all those cheap econobox's

22. Re: This is just a cheap american...

for someone who wants to talk in a car forum you know very little aout cars. the viper is a gts not gtr. and you only retracted your statement because you know they dont make a japanese car that can handle it. a heavily modified street skyline gtr goes 10s a slightly modified viper goes 10s. there is a blue viper in florida called sir hiss street legal and it runs 7s. so stop arguing. at any given red light an american car can get its ass handed to it and so can an import. it all depends on mods and the driver. i know gys with supras that can beat my hawk all day long and i know guys with supras that will see my tail lights all day long too. stop arguin OPINIONS and stats and just race. stats on paper dont mean shit

23. Re: This is just a cheap american...

GT40, define beat for me when you say that stangs and firebirds beat european cars that cost $50,000. I assume you're talking about 1/4mile only, right? I'm sure I could find a lot of euro cars that would beat a stang in something. Besides, a lot of the cars you may be talking about (BMW, etc) aren't built to be 1/4mile drag cars. Mustangs and firebirds are in most respects. Ever sat in a Stang? DAMN, interior from the 80's still. I'm sure a beemer would be a whole different style.

Most times you get what you pay for. A more expensive car can do more things better (Brake, corner, have nice interior, build quality, looks). A cheaper car that is make exclusively for one thing may be better at that and/or a few things (1/4mile, accel) but will lack somewhere (handling, interior, looks, build quality). I drive a Cavalier Z24, and it's one of the fastest cheap FWD cars (until the SRT-4, etc), but it's rear suspension BLOWS CHUNKS. The build quality is rather pathetic, but do I compare it with Gen 2 RX-7 (which by numbers it beats in the 1/4) or any other car it does (lots of 70s muscle cars, 944's)? No, becuase it'a apples to oranges. The RX-7 would spank me all day in the corners.

There's nothing wrong with Stangs and Firebirds, don't get me wrong, but don't compare something built to go straight to something build to do everything. You might as well talk about the Acura MD-X or the Hummer and say what lackluster performance stats they have for their $$$.