This photo makes me very happy

Discussion in 'Boats, Planes, Other' started by nappyjb37, Feb 23, 2013.

1. I imagine you were just Googling about. I worked on the VLH turbine for my B.Sc. thesis. Its old news.

2. Yes I did google "Vanilla Ice, University of Canadia".

It said VLH turbine. Did anything decent come out of that project?

3. The VLH turbine itself is not particularly novel. The interesting part is its application. The basic idea is that there is much unused, but highly engineered hydrological infrastructure throughout the developed world (dams, locks, canals, weirs, etc). The VLH turbine is meant to repurpose disused hydrological infrastructure for power generation, with each VLH turbine able to produce about 500 kW (which is a small number, but fitting in many strategic plans of a more distributed and flexible electrical grid). The issue is that at every low heads (say, 1m) the turbine is no longer a pure hydraulic power machine as large dams are, but also extracts an appreciable amount of energy from flow momentum.

My work was on the development of installation practices that would allow maximum power generation for worst-case installation scenarios. The question was basically: when repurposing whatever thing, what is the minimum amount of optimization that has to be done to an inlet? It turned out that you could get away with egregious obstacles upstream without serious momentum deficits if you followed only a handful of rules, which basically had to do with your minimum contraction area within a few turbine-diameters upstream.

4. Interesting

What are you working on these days?

5. I study insect-scale aerodynamics, focusing on the massively-separated vortex-dominated flows exploited by insects in flight.

6. What sort of practical applications are there?

7. Well the most direct application is micro-aerial vehicles. These are hypothetical autonomous insect-scale UAVs that have applications in (both civil and military) remote sensing. MAVs are the primary source of our funding. However, we also believe that our work in vortex-dominated stall would have applications in similar phenomena such as improving delayed stall models for wind turbine applications. There are also some similarities to the flow over low-speed delta wings.

Qualitatively, the dynamic stall exploited by insects in flight is the same phenomenon as that experienced by helicopter rotors. However, the Mach number and Reynolds number differences make that comparison much more tenuous.

8. After god knows how many delays.

9. what's that spike infront of the nose for?

10. Static pressure probe. It's part of the special flight test instrumentation, and wont be present on production aircraft.

11. thats a shame. it looks pretty cool

12. The third flight test vehicle appears to be the first one without the nose probe.

13. #39 DownwardSpiral, Feb 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    It's called a swept fan blade and they cost about $1/4 million to make. I also heard that they increase engine airflow efficiency because they kind of create a better axial vortex.

http://www.google.com/patents/US6071077

14. Also, I've heard that the expected sales of this aircraft hasn't been reached and they're laying off people because of it, unfortunately.

15. Should be dynamic pressure too, most pitots have both, right?

16. I assume you mean total pressure, as dynamic pressure is measured as the difference between total pressure and static pressure (rather than directly measured - hence why a 'dynamic pressure probe' has two or more holes). It may well have a total probe as well, but getting an accurate static pressure is what requires the long probe length, as you want to avoid interference from the aircraft's acceleration region or boundary layer. I would imagine that there would be dozens of probes of all type on a test aircraft, but in order to get good velocity data (from dynamic pressure), they all need a good quality static reference - from the lead probe.

The air speed probes on production aircraft are usually calibrated relative test aircraft data, as direct measurements would be incorrect without the long probe. I'm actually surprised the CSeries probe isn't longer.