those stats are soooooo wrong!

Discussion in '2002 Honda NSX Coupe' started by greghourigan, Aug 9, 2002.

1. okay, the last engine put 290hp, and they were supposed to raise it an additional 10 or so hp, plus if the last nsx did 0-60 in under 5 sec i think this car should too, not gain a full second!<!-- Signature -->

2. Re: those stats are soooooo wrong!

the 280 hp is correct. This isn't the American version. This is the Japanese version. In Japan 280 is the maximum allowed by law. The 0-60 is wrong though.

3. Re: those stats are soooooo wrong!

i think 0-60mph should at least be in the 5 to 4.5 sec range.

4. Re: those stats are soooooo wrong!

yah 4.8 looks right

5. Re: those stats are soooooo wrong!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from JohnLeMVP</i>
    <b>the 280 hp is correct. This isn't the American version. This is the Japanese version. In Japan 280 is the maximum allowed by law. The 0-60 is wrong though. </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Technically, 276hp is the max allowed by law, but who's counting?

6. Re: those stats are soooooo wrong!

no 280 PS.
    not HP, you guys are getting it mixed up.
    BTW what's the difference between ps. and hp.?<!-- Signature -->

7. Re: those stats are soooooo wrong!

Well, if you think 4.8 sec. "looks right" than I'm sure that's what it actually does. . . . me, I'll trust the numbers. And what the last one did is irrelevant, because THAT'S A DIFFERENT CAR. what you think is correct is completely useless information. Even to yourself. <!-- Signature -->

8. Re: those stats are soooooo wrong!

I think the difference between HP and PS is a ratio of 1.0145.
    280ps = 276HP....Jap standards in all cars. Impreza, EVO, R34..etc.

DA PUN..does that help?<!-- Signature -->

9. Re: those stats are soooooo wrong!

yeah.<!-- Signature -->

10. Re: those stats are soooooo wrong!

4.8 out of car that has only 280 hp and weighs more then 3000 lbs. That i would like to see. 5.0 sounds generous 5.4 sounds realistic. 5.8 may be a little slow. But i doubt 4.8. The 911 Carrera 4 (1999) has 300 hp and does 5.0 and when it comes down to it id take the porsche any day.

11. Re: those stats are soooooo wrong!

LOL..Carrera his heavier..and has to wait for Turbo to spool.
    This doesn't =P
    It's sorta like how an R34 can jet so quickly =P

DA PUN<!-- Signature -->

12. Re: those stats are soooooo wrong!

well..we do have to consider drivers. take the case of the Honda S2000. some drivers can only get it 0-60 in 6.2, while others have reported 0-60 times of 5.2 with laser timing! talk about an argument on what the real time is on that car.

13. Re: those stats are soooooo wrong!

I can see where the s2000 times could be debatable. That car has to be reved up right off the bat to get a good time, as it is desighned for really high rpms. (is'nt the redline 9000). Its tough to quantify a lot of these cars. If anyone has dynoed a nsx, i'd love to hear about it.

14. Re: those stats are soooooo wrong!

Hmmmmm..maybe I should call my friend up and see if we can find a good reliable dyno place in Toronto =)

DA PUN<!-- Signature -->

15. Re: those stats are soooooo wrong!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from SRB The Punisher</i>
    <b>LOL..Carrera his heavier..and has to wait for Turbo to spool.
    This doesn't =P
    It's sorta like how an R34 can jet so quickly =P

DA PUN</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

A Porsche Carrera has a 3.6 litre NATURALLY aspirated flat 6 with 320.... no Turbo, and therefore no waiting for turbo spool (no turbo lag!) Also, the 2002 carrera weighs just over 3000 pounds and a carrera 4 which has 4WD for a great launch for it's 0-60 time runs 4.9.... there's NO way the NSX will be running faster than that! i agree that 5.7 may be a little slow, but that car will NOT be running 5 flat.<!-- Signature -->

16. Re: those stats are soooooo wrong!

HMmmm....isn't the new Carrera 4 running the old 911 T engines?

DA PUN<!-- Signature -->

17. Re: those stats are soooooo wrong!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from SRB The Punisher</i>
    <b>HMmmm....isn't the new Carrera 4 running the old 911 T engines?

DA PUN</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

I think the new Carrera 4 is running NA engines since it only has 320 hp (same as other 911 NA models). Turbo models should be able to hit 400+ hp.<!-- Signature -->

18. Re: those stats are soooooo wrong!

Don't forget it also only has 224 lbs of torque. Not exactly mind boggling. <!-- Signature -->

19. Re: those stats are soooooo wrong!

could someone let me know what we what "ps" is? someone was talking about 280ps=276bhp...just wondering what ps is or what it stands for...thanks a lot...also if you have a little extra time, what exactly does torque do (i think it spins wheels, but i don't really understand the concept of how)...thanks a lot...one more thing, when a car has an intake that sticks out of the hood (i.e. the 1969 dodge charger or chevy chevelle in the fast and the furious) is taht called a big block engine? thanks a lot folks...later

-civic <!-- Signature -->

20. Re: those stats are soooooo wrong!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from 93Civic</i>
    <b>could someone let me know what we what "ps" is? someone was talking about 280ps=276bhp...just wondering what ps is or what it stands for...thanks a lot...also if you have a little extra time, what exactly does torque do (i think it spins wheels, but i don't really understand the concept of how)...thanks a lot...one more thing, when a car has an intake that sticks out of the hood (i.e. the 1969 dodge charger or chevy chevelle in the fast and the furious) is taht called a big block engine? thanks a lot folks...later

-civic </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Torque is the unit of measure used to gauge the force at which your wheels turn. Usually when cars get tested for horse power and torque, it's hooked up to the machine and it measures the amount of force or "torque" at the rear wheels (or front wheels for some cars). The more powerful an engine, the more force it will put to the wheels i.e. the more torque it has.
    Horsepower is calculated using torque and the RPMs. The formula is (torque x RPM) divided by 5252. If you take the torque and RPMs and plug them into that formula, you'll get the horse power at that RPM.
    Most of the smaller Honda engines have very little torque, but it's much higher in the RPM band so the calculated Horse Power goes way up. Then they piss in the pants because they're so happy about having over 200HP from a 2 liter engine. But in reality that force that turns your wheels (torque) is still lacking. It's much easier to increase the RPMs on 4 small cylinders than it is for 8 large cylinders. Large, heavy parts violently moving about are more difficult to control.
    So when Rice Burners are doing cartwheels because of their 100 horse power per liter, just ask them, "how much torque?"
    <!-- Signature -->

21. Re: those stats are soooooo wrong!

Torque is very important for acceleration, but also if there is a lighter car, it doesn't need as much Torque, and too much of it can hinder it's performance by spinning the wheels alot and burning them out.

Oh..and thanx for the correction on the Carreras...I dun usually pay that much attention to them.

DA PUN<!-- Signature -->

22. Re: those stats are soooooo wrong!

5.7? thats weird....guess the car gained some weight, didnt the last gen go 0-60 in 5 flat or something? the supra/rx-7 did that...id suspect that honda would be close<!-- Signature -->

23. Re: those stats are soooooo wrong!

Stats on this site are wrong man.
    a 5.7Sec sounds more like the 4 speed auto working..not the 6 speed.

DA PUN<!-- Signature -->