Tire comparo question

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Phanofmuzik, Dec 13, 2007.

1. I was just curious if there is a consistent dry grip test for tires, and if so, where to get said data. I know lots of stuff comes into play, like tire spring rates, and tread patterens and compounds, and belt angles, and shit like that, I was just curious if theres a generally good unbaised tire rating system.

Im basically just trying to see really how much different in terms of absolute grip something like a hoosier is to an RA1 to a street tire or something.

2. The only one I know of, or could find out about on a few quick searches, is the govt's UTQG. It does cover traction, but the rating scale isn't very broad, and the results aren't very granular.

I'll keep looking because I'm kind of interested in this myself for when it comes time for a tire change, and potentially a suspension upgrade package down the line.

3. #3 Monkey, Dec 14, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
  4. Grassroots Motorsports does comparison tests with DOT racing tires on an autox course. The Kumho Ecsta V710 is king, followed by the Hoosier A6, BFG R1, Nitto NT01, Hankook Ventus Z214, Hoosier R6 and Toyo R888. They haven't tested the Yokohama A048, Kumho Ecsta V700 or Kumho V70 Victoracer, at least not lately. I don't think they ever tested the Michelin PSC, but autoxers don't like them. A German magazine compared the Kumho Ecsta V700, Michelin PSC and Pirelli P-Zero Corsa. They declared the Kumho the winner. If you don't mind having a tire that has just two grooves and want the absolute grippiest DOT tire, get the Kumho Ecsta V710. If you want a tire with more grooves that can be used in the rain, it gets more complicated. The grippiest is probably the Kumho Ecsta V700, but they'll lose their grip before they wear out. The Toyo R888 will deliver more consistent grip over a longer period and over a wider temperature range. I plan to buy a set in the spring. That's what's in my avatar. The Nitto NT01 is basically the same tire with less grooves, but more than just the two grooves that most of the others have.

BTW, the Hoosier A6 is very soft and unsuitable for track use.

5. I just reread the first post and realized that I answered the question wrongly. The difference between a streetable R compound tire like the Michelin PSC and a more conventional tire such as the Michelin PS2 is about 0.1 g on the skidpad, about 7% speed difference through a slalom, and about 2 sec on a typical road course with 1:30 lap times.

6. im surprised about the v710s. Ive always heard hoosier R6s, but who knows.

and i havent seen R888s for sale anywhere, to be honest. Who even sells them?

7. I'm not even sure if they're available for sale yet, when I was looking at tires in August they hadn't been released.

8. #8 mpg, Dec 14, 2007
    http://www.racetire.com/products/toyo_r888.htm

They've been around for a while, but they're just now becoming more widely available.

9. #9 Phanofmuzik, Dec 14, 2007
  10. I wouldn't say that the V710 is king. I would put it on par with the A6 for autocross application but not above it. I think grassroots tests can be flawed in the respect that there are parameters such as drivetrain, suspension setup, weight, pavement type, and temperature wich can vary and they can not account for. If you look at the results from the 2007 Nationals you will see Hoosier walked away with most of the championships.

Few things about Hoosiers:
    1) They have a few extra tire sizes that can be of great advantage.
    2) Right out of the box (first few events) they seem to be quicker than V710s and then are perhaps a little slower than V710s until they are dead.
    3) They require more heat than V710s to work.

11. ive used r6s at the track a few times (dads car), and they were phenomenal. Srsly amazing.

12. Another thing to consider: phano drives on a track, the tire comparos being discussed in this thread were done on an autox course.

Also phano, idk how much R-comps cost in 17" sizes and what have you, but the 205/50/15 R888s are only about $10 more expensive than RA1s of the same size.

13. Correct phanofmuzik2 is talking about the R6 wich is a Dot R road race/open track tire. The A6 is the autocross tire which would over heat and become squirmy in a couple of laps of continous use. If you want a Dot R for open track the R6 is a good choice.

We run on a 20" R25A wich is a Formula Atlantic open track tire. We would like to run on A6s but they do not make an appropriate size for us. We almost tried the Hoosier A6 275/35/15 but they were to tall.

More Hoosier info:
    https://www.hoosiertire.com/rrtire.htm

14. i can get 255/40/17 RA1s for like 45 less a tire. 160 a pop from one website. the 235/40/17s are 205ish for r888s. Yikes.

15. It is a brand new tire, but yeah that's quite an increase. Next time buy a car with smaller wheels.

16. #16 wyldr, Aug 24, 2010
    I've been running used toyo r888's and hoosier r6's form www.johnbtires.com. I've bought from them a few times now and every time I consistently get good tires delivered directly to my door hassle free.

17. Was gonna also say Grassroots.