TO EVERYONE WHO WANTS TO SAY Diablo VTTT IS FASTER READ THIS!

Discussion in '1988 Callaway Sledgehammer Corvette' started by rossWal, Aug 9, 2002.

1. #1 rossWal, Aug 9, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: TO EVERYONE WHO WANTS TO SAY Diablo VTTT IS FASTER READ TH

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from L337</i>
    <b> http://www.lamborghiniregistry.com/Diablo/DiabloVTTT/index.html
    First of all I thought I'd mention that if you convert 255 miles to kilometers you get 410.285, so theres no way to tell which number they rounded. Also your Mustang comparison there is faulty beyond the fact that you couldn't cite your source.

You see some people have something that is often called good sense (frequently confused with common sense). Now you see if I were to tell you that the moon is made of Norwegian Beaver Cheese you would know I'm wrong. For one that doesn't make sense, for that to be true that would mean that a mass amount of beaver milk was floating around space, and that would require the correct bacteria to be able to sustain itself in space. Also I'm sure you were at one time told that the moon isn't made of cheese so you would know it's not. At the same time though it's possible, however extremely unlikely, that the moon is infact made of cheese, afterall we have no proof for either one.

If I were to tell you that multiple monomers make up a polymer you (or at least I hope) would accept that as true, even if we don't have any real proof at the time. Why, to start off mono means one while poly means multiple or more than one, so put one and one together you get...more than one. Also you may have just known that was true. Do we have actual proof for or against it, no, but it makes sense now doesn't it.

I hope you could figure out how these situations apply to what we're talking about.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Ok so what you're saying then is all I need to prove to you that the Mustang is better is by showing you some guys personal website that states that? Because believe you me there are people who would be glad to say that, hell if you want I can make a website for you in about 15 minutes.

Here you are saying that I couldn't cite my source, but neither could you. All you indicated was that there are people who like Diablos, and think there was some test done by some French Magazine (which apparently is respected enough to able to test drive the VTTT, yet not have a name or a website).

The way you are sounding here is that, since it’s a Lambo, we should automatically believe its faster even though there no proof of it anywhere, because it should be common sense. That kind of thought is pretty arrogant; since this is not the first time a Corvette (modified or stock) has beaten an Italian exotic.

Basically, if I make you a website that says a Canadian magazine (or I'll say French if it makes you happy), said the new Mustang Cobra handled better then the Mclaren, its either you accept it and show us that it doesn't take much for some one to convince you of an opinion. Or reject it, and prove you're just a hypocrite, because that is exactly the same amount of evidence you are able to provide for Diablo VTTT.

Remember if you just accept numbers that have never been tested, then you are truly being played for a fool. The best example I can provide here is the modified Ferrari F40, that was made by Ferrari to compete in the same top speed competition as the Sledgehammer. On paper it said it would have a very high top speed, however on the actual race day, it performed so pathetically, it ran slower then the stock F40. Wouldn’t you have thought it would be COMMON SENSE, that an F40 would of done better?

Pretty much man, the way you sound, you're proving my point that many of the European car lovers are willing to accept any source (regardless where it came from), as long as it supports a European car. However if it's an American car you want rock solid proof.....

2. Re: TO EVERYONE WHO WANTS TO SAY Diablo VTTT IS FASTER READ TH

Either way man, my point was that, if you want to round the VTTT's time its only fair to round the Sledgehammer's too.

3. Re: TO EVERYONE WHO WANTS TO SAY Diablo VTTT IS FASTER READ TH

Although thats not quite the "infallible proof" I was looking for, it's one step closer. I contacted TRC, hopefully they'll reply.<!-- Signature -->

4. Re: TO EVERYONE WHO WANTS TO SAY Diablo VTTT IS FASTER READ TH

You are totally missing my point. You and I have no more proof that the diablo went 255mph as we have proof that the Sledgehammer went as fast as it did. So any argument you make about having lack of proof supporting the diablo is just as valid for me arguing that you have no proof supporting the Sledgehammer. <!-- Signature -->

5. Re: TO EVERYONE WHO WANTS TO SAY Diablo VTTT IS FASTER READ TH

very interesting remark!

6. Re: TO EVERYONE WHO WANTS TO SAY Diablo VTTT IS FASTER READ TH

well i think that the problem is that we have no proofs that this diablo has done a such performance . that is the reason why so many people don' t believe in!

7. #7 rossWal, Aug 9, 2002
    Ok my god, I still can't believe some people still come on claiming that the VTTT is faster.

Well lets compare evidence shall we, Callaway had its speed offically recorded by the Technical Research Center in Ohio. Hell they even had a video available about the Sledghammer, this is why it's speed was recorded offically. And you can have the number verified at the Technical Research Center.

Now the VTTT...........
    What evedience, that has ever been brought up?
    This site......
    http://www.lambocars.com/diablo/gemballad.htm

Now for one thing, many people who get so worked up that theres a European company that finally beat the Sledgehammer don't relize is the time they put, 255mph or 410kmh, what does this mean, it means the number were rounded since 255mph is not exactly equal to 410kmh, where as you notice the Sledgehammer's times are not rounded but if you do round them they too equal 255mph or 410kmh.
    PLUS!
    Thats hardly proof of anything (unless you consider some stranger telling you a car is fast, hardcore proof)
    Here's a quote from Meradur who actually e-mailed the website...
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    So, I can buy one of these rare VTTT's right now?
    > For about 4/5's the
    > original cost? Do you have the name of anyone who
    > owns one? What about the
    > name of that French magazine that had the priviledge
    > of testing one? Who owns
    > and operates this site? It would be great to hear a
    > reply.
    >
    > Thank you, Max L****

Subj: Re: Diablo VTTT's
    Date: 5/6/2002 3:09:19 AM Eastern Standard Time
    Reply-to: info@lambocars.com
    To: *****@*****.com
    Sent from the Internet (Details)

Hello Max,

the Diablo VTTT can still be bought, there are eight
    accounted for, but I don't have a lead on one for sale
    at the moment, I do know a VT TT Roadster in black,
    awesome car, let me know if an open-top turbo charged
    Diablo sounds interesting.

You should however know that any 'standard' Diablo can
    still be turbo'd if you like, all the semi-official
    VTTT's were built for Platinum Motors, an authorized
    dealer, and they still can install brand new dual
    turbo's on any Diablo, preferably recent cars, but
    older ones can also be tuned this way.

I think the French magazine you're refering to tested
    the Gemballa Lotec Diablo Roadster, not one of the
    actual VTTT models if I'm not mistaking.

By the way, I run the Lamborghini Cars on my own, just
    as a hobby of mine.

Please don't hesitate to contact me again if you have
    any further questions,

kind regards

Mark Smeyers
    Lamborghini Cars, the enthusiast site
    http://www.lambocars.com
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Now you have it, its a web page made by an ENTHUSIAST! You think he's not going to be biased, wonder why we still have no name for the French magazine?

It always amazes me that whenever an American source indicates an American car did better then a European car in something, all the European car lovers complain that the source had to have been biased, even when its a car magazine. However when theres a source that praises a European car, it doesn't matter to them how reliable the source is, to them its already a rock solid fact. (This is not aimed at all European car enthusiasts, I too love European cars).

I hope this finally clears up the air here.

8. #8 L337, Aug 9, 2002

http://www.lamborghiniregistry.com/Diablo/DiabloVTTT/index.htm
    Theres another website supporting the Diablo, although it is possible that they rounded. But since theres no real proof going either way I'm going to accept the currently fasionable assertion that the Diablo is faster.<!-- Signature -->

9. Re: TO EVERYONE WHO WANTS TO SAY Diablo VTTT IS FASTER READ TH

First off you're link leads no where.....

I think I proved it very well that those numbers are rounded since they say 410kmph or 255mph since those two numbers are not exact equals.

Once again there is rock solid proof of what the Sledgehammer did and just assumptions of what the Lambo did. You want to accept the assumption, fine.

But it amazes me still how easy it is for you to accept numbers from a test noone seems to have any information about. How's this, I believe I saw a test showing the new Mustang Cobra to be a better handling car then the Mclaren (believe it was some Canadian magazine). Now I've shown just as much proof of that, as there is proof the Diablo beat this record. Guess you believe the Cobra is a better handling car unh?

10. #10 L337, Aug 9, 2002

http://www.lamborghiniregistry.com/Diablo/DiabloVTTT/index.html
    First of all I thought I'd mention that if you convert 255 miles to kilometers you get 410.285, so theres no way to tell which number they rounded. Also your Mustang comparison there is faulty beyond the fact that you couldn't cite your source.

You see some people have something that is often called good sense (frequently confused with common sense). Now you see if I were to tell you that the moon is made of Norwegian Beaver Cheese you would know I'm wrong. For one that doesn't make sense, for that to be true that would mean that a mass amount of beaver milk was floating around space, and that would require the correct bacteria to be able to sustain itself in space. Also I'm sure you were at one time told that the moon isn't made of cheese so you would know it's not. At the same time though it's possible, however extremely unlikely, that the moon is infact made of cheese, afterall we have no proof for either one.

If I were to tell you that multiple monomers make up a polymer you (or at least I hope) would accept that as true, even if we don't have any real proof at the time. Why, to start off mono means one while poly means multiple or more than one, so put one and one together you get...more than one. Also you may have just known that was true. Do we have actual proof for or against it, no, but it makes sense now doesn't it.

I hope you could figure out how these situations apply to what we're talking about.<!-- Signature -->

11. #11 rossWal, Aug 9, 2002

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Al Carpone</i>
    <b>If the Gemballa went 410kph thats 254.77399999999997mph.

If the Gemballas speed was rounded up to 3 significant figures the slowest it could have gone is 409.5kph which is 254.46329mph recurring.
    If they rounded it down the fastest it could have gone is 410.5kph which is 255.08469999999997, therefore faster than the corvette.
    They will have used kph as a french magazine tested the gemballa and they don't use the imperial system of mph.

If anybody cares enough they could e-mail this certain french magazine and find out which way it was rounded.

P.S Personnally I'd still rather have the gemballa diablo anyway.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Al Carpone, who is to say that they got 410kmph EXACTLY? It could have been 409.5. On that note I think I need to point out you’re calculations are wrong.......

409.5 = 254.45101499999998 miles/hour

Making it slower the the Sledgehammer
    And 410.5 is rounded to 411 not 410...

Here’s a good conversion website for you to refer to.....
    http://www.onlineconversion.com/speed.htm

If you notice what happens when you convert the Sledgehammers time it is almost exact.

Point being, if they rounded the Diablo why isn’t it fair to round the Sledgehammer’s time? Uh-oh seems like the Sledgehammer did about 255mph or 410kph (ROUNDED). There for making it still the record holder, and another point is, when thy usually have to round the speed like that, it means they were looking at the speed on the speedometer and estimating, anyone who knows about testing cars can tell you that is ANYTHING but accurate especially at high speeds.

And on that note here is something you should read from the Sledgehammer article.....
    “Even the digital speedometer read to 255 mph, the highest number you can generate with an 8-bit microprocessor. (Ironically, when the car reached its ultimate top speed, the speedo pegged and began counting down!)”

12. #12 rossWal, Aug 9, 2002

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Al Carpone</i>

If the Gemballas speed was rounded up to 3 significant figures the slowest it could have gone is 409.5kph which is 254.46329mph recurring.
    If they rounded it down the fastest it could have gone is 410.5kph which is 255.08469999999997, therefore faster than the corvette.
    They will have used kph as a french magazine tested the gemballa and they don't use the imperial system of mph.

If anybody cares enough they could e-mail this certain french magazine and find out which way it was rounded.

P.S Personnally I'd still rather have the gemballa diablo anyway.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Al Carpone, who is to say that they got 410kmph EXACTLY? It could have been 409.5. On that note I think I need to point out you’re calculations are wrong.......

Making it slower the the Sledgehammer

Here’s a good conversion website for you to refer to.....
    http://www.onlineconversion.com/speed.htm

If you notice what happens when you convert the Sledgehammers time it is almost exact.

Point being, if they rounded the Diablo why isn’t it fair to round the Sledgehammer’s time? Uh-oh seems like the Sledgehammer did about 255mph or 410kph (ROUNDED). There for making it still the record holder, and another point is, when thy usually have to round the speed like that, it means they were looking at the speed on the speedometer and estimating, anyone who knows about testing cars can tell you that is ANYTHING but accurate especially at high speeds.

And on that note here is something you should read from the Sledgehammer article.....
    “Even the digital speedometer read to 255 mph, the highest number you can generate with an 8-bit microprocessor. (Ironically, when the car reached its ultimate top speed, the speedo pegged and began counting down!)”

13. Re: TO EVERYONE WHO WANTS TO SAY Diablo VTTT IS FASTER READ TH

Al Carpone, who is to say that they got 410kmph EXACTLY? It could have been 409.5.

Making it slower then the Sledge hammer.....
    Meaning the fastest it could have gone was 410.4Kmph

14. Re: TO EVERYONE WHO WANTS TO SAY Diablo VTTT IS FASTER READ TH

First of all I'm not really a fan of Lamborghini myself so my view is in no way affected by that. Also the point I was trying to make was it makes sense that the Diablo VTTT went that fast, while it doesn't make much sense that the mustang has better handling than a Mclaren. Lastly if you can find infallible proof that the Chevrolet Callaway Sledgehammer Corvette went 254.7 mph, not even the fact that it holds the record, then I will admit defeat.<!-- Signature -->

15. #15 rossWal, Aug 9, 2002

Ok first of let me apologize for trying to accuse you of being biased, I didn't mean to be so rude as I was.

Here is a link the Sledgehammer Article

http://www.callawaycars.com/Corvette/Sledgehammer/sledgehammer_article.htm

There if you read you will learn that the Sledgehammer wasn't tested for it's speed at Callaway headquarters, infact it was tested at the Technical Research Center in Ohio.

And states very clearly at the end of the Article....
    "Now we can report that it would be possible to confirm these achieved numbers in the Vaterland itself."

The entire test was well documented and properly done, if you want to request a print out of the stats all you simply need to do is get in contact with the TRC in Ohio.

Here you will also learn that the actual time was not 254.7 but 254.76.

16. Re: TO EVERYONE WHO WANTS TO SAY Diablo VTTT IS FASTER READ TH

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from L337</i>
    <b>Although thats not quite the "infallible proof" I was looking for, it's one step closer. I contacted TRC, hopefully they'll reply.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Well what more do you want, you can order the Sledgehammer Video tape as well if you'd like...

What were you hoping to see?

17. Re: TO EVERYONE WHO WANTS TO SAY Diablo VTTT IS FASTER READ TH

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Bigblockbrawler426Hemistage8</i>
    <b>very good remark!</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Yeah it was.<!-- Signature -->

18. Re: TO EVERYONE WHO WANTS TO SAY Diablo VTTT IS FASTER READ TH

I still can't believe what it takes for some people to believe the Diablo is faster

19. Re: TO EVERYONE WHO WANTS TO SAY Diablo VTTT IS FASTER READ TH

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from _M3_GTR_</i>
    <b>I Reckon This Is Faster,Although Its Not So Fast To 100 KPH</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

What's you're point?

20. #20 imnotmaranelloboy, Aug 9, 2002

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Vette1</i>
    <b>First off you're link leads no where.....

I think I proved it very well that those numbers are rounded since they say 410kmph or 255mph since those two numbers are not exact equals.

Once again there is rock solid proof of what the Sledgehammer did and just assumptions of what the Lambo did. You want to accept the assumption, fine.

But it amazes me still how easy it is for you to accept numbers from a test noone seems to have any information about. How's this, I believe I saw a test showing the new Mustang Cobra to be a better handling car then the Mclaren (believe it was some Canadian magazine). Now I've shown just as much proof of that, as there is proof the Diablo beat this record. Guess you believe the Cobra is a better handling car unh?

</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Let me help you getting to it (some people aren't compitent enough to post links). Go to http://www.lamborghiniregistry.com/, click on "cars" at the top left corner, go down the list of "production cars" and click "Diablo", go down the list to where it says "Special Modified Diablos of interest:". There should be three things, unless they change it; "Victoria's Secret Diablo VS #WLA12945", "Diablo VTTT", and "Affolter Diablos". Obviously click on "Diablo VTTT". There, you will see that there are two different VTTT options; a 600hp model that does a top speed of "222", and a 752hp model that does "255". Click further to where it says "Diablo VTTT Registry", and you'll see any of them that are for sale. Currently, there's a twin supercharged model, and a twin turbo model that wasn't done by the famous Platinum Motors. I get the impression that this isn't a very official model, whereas the Sledgehammer would have been. It's my belief that Callaway wouldn't call any Vette he rolled out a Sledgehammer unless it was to the same specifications. I hope I've helped, and have a nice day.<!-- Signature -->

21. Re: TO EVERYONE WHO WANTS TO SAY Diablo VTTT IS FASTER READ TH

Thanks for the info maranelloboy....

I'm glad to see, that while with you're name I can tell you're European car lover, you are still willing to give respect were its deserved.

With, my nick name maybe Vette1 but I give respect to all great cars regardless where they are from. The one thing I don't like though about one type of car company, Ferrari, is that you see most those damn cars in red (I hate that colour), but I love seeing those cars in black.

I would honestly love to see the day a car comes up with a higher top speed for a street legal car, but it suprises me how much some people hate knowing an American car has a record that they are willing to almost believe any little peice of evidence that shows another car faster.

Like man you should of seen how the Diablo VTTT first entered this forum, some guy claimed it was faster and provided a message board as proof! Sounds stupid, but so many became instant believers, regardless of the fact that it was just another message board.

22. Re: TO EVERYONE WHO WANTS TO SAY Diablo VTTT IS FASTER READ TH

The Vette was my first love. I never think of my user name when I post. I was hooked on the new Maranello when I first created it, I still love the car, but I can't really change it. I don't have a problem with one car company or another, they all make something great, and that's what we need to focus on. I try to never put down another car, just give the facts. Have a nice day.<!-- Signature -->

23. #23 imnotmaranelloboy, Aug 9, 2002

I searched the lamborghini registry for any type of Diablo, and this was the only thing I found. It fits the description, but has a different name than most people are calling it. Like you probably read in the thread starter, the operator of www.lambocars.com said that the VTTT he must be refering to is the Lotec Gemballa Diablo. I don't know what's going on with that. Have a nice day.<!-- Signature -->

24. Re: TO EVERYONE WHO WANTS TO SAY Diablo VTTT IS FASTER READ TH

You didn't provide infallible proof, it's that simple. The key word is infallible. By definition you did show me proof...but it was fallible. You showed me an article written by a man, who could be wrong for all we know. It is possible to obtain proof, but it's not worth my time. If you want to spend your time go ahead. But I'll tell you right now the reason I challenged you to find proof was to show that its really hard to find definite proof of many things (especially when your main resource is the internet). To further my point check out this timeslip.<!-- Signature -->

25. Re: TO EVERYONE WHO WANTS TO SAY Diablo VTTT IS FASTER READ TH

<b>You didn't provide infallible proof, it's that simple. The key word is infallible. By definition you did show me proof...but it was fallible. You showed me an article written by a man, who could be wrong for all we know. It is possible to obtain proof, but it's not worth my time. If you want to spend your time go ahead. But I'll tell you right now the reason I challenged you to find proof was to show that its really hard to find definite proof of many things (especially when your main resource is the internet). To further my point check out this timeslip.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Know what believe what you want to, there is an article there is a Video and all times were recorded. Unlike the Lambo...