Topgear Manipulates Power Lap Times!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by udip21, Dec 27, 2004.

1. I downloaded a Video of this year's Renault F1 car. It supposedly did a 59 second lap around the Topgear Test track in the hand's of The Stig. But whem i checked the time displayed below on the Media Player window, he had elapsed 1 min 7 sec when he completed the lap. The video is available on the racingflix website. The lap starts when the video reaches 1 min 41 sec and he crosses the finish line when the video reaches 2 min 48 mins.

What has everyone got to say about that? And how reliable is Top Gear's laptime anyway with the the Stig not driving perfectly all the time?

2. I'd say it comes down more to editing rather than them scotching the times. Chances are frames overlapped, accounting for the extra few seconds.

3. I thought this would have been quite obvious...?

4. Yeah, I thought that too.

5. yes, and just look at the way The Stig totally power slides The Pagani Zonda and still, they consider that laptime on their board. The Koenigsegg CC too has been the victim of that.
    In such a power slide, a car can lose about a SECOND of its ideal laptime. Of course, u can only go slower than the ideal laptime and not faster.

6. The new stig seems a lot better at driving supercars.

7. In a race car, yes.

In a road car, not really.

Take a look at Jason Plato driving the F430 around Fiorano. He gets out of the hairpin a fair bit quicker when the traction control is off, and powersliding out of the corner.

8. what do u mean? i have the video of the zonda and the koenigsegg. By powersliding, i dont mean going straight. i mean going sideaways and the grabbing the car back to kepp it straight again!

9. The Stig might very well be slightly inconsistant, but he's more consistant than you or I, and the times are only ever meant to be taken as a guide, not gospel.

10. And then again, i have played formula on a simulator. If u try doing a powerslide(sideways moving) on every possible turn, u end up getting a laptime 1.5 seconds slower than u otherwise would around Monza

11. Yes, but i also mean manipulation and why drive them around tracks if they r not meant to reveal the car's characteristics? When u can drive a car the best way u can, even if u have to drive it for about ten times round a track, why not post the best laptimes on the laptime board.

12. The car is still being propelled forward when it is 'powersliding'.

13. True, But it's loosing speed.

14. This debate sucks, and is going nowhere.

15. Only because udip21 is stupid.

16. B-I-N-G-O

17. sure the car is being propelled forward when it is powersliding but that is slower than not powersliding because going straight, it will be taking the shortest line while powersliding, it will have to traverse angles and multiple directions.

18. I think you're confusing yourself, and proving yourself to be an arseclown.

19. no way pal, u dont understand , do u BaRRA?

20. By your logic, taking a racing line would be crazy/stupid/lol. You don't drive the shortest line.

21. Quote udip21:
    What has everyone got to say about that? And how reliable is Top Gear's laptime anyway with the the Stig not driving perfectly all the time?

-Do you really think they showed it in realtime? Go and measure the time it takes for the reasonably priced car to get around on the track. I doubt it will be any where near the 1.45/1.50's, more close to around 1.00...

And the stig drives as much laps as he can, till he is satisfied with the lap. And sometimes, a bit of a slide can be faster around a corner then understeering around it

Quote udip21:
    yes, and just look at the way The Stig totally power slides The Pagani Zonda and still, they consider that laptime on their board. The Koenigsegg CC too has been the victim of that.
    In such a power slide, a car can lose about a SECOND of its ideal laptime. Of course, u can only go slower than the ideal laptime and not faster.

-So basicly, all the rally car drivers are doing a crap job? It all depends on the cars setup!

Quote udip21
    what do u mean? i have the video of the zonda and the koenigsegg. By powersliding, i dont mean going straight. i mean going sideaways and the grabbing the car back to kepp it straight again!

-Dude you are on an automotive board, we know what a powerslide is..

Quote udip21
    And then again, i have played formula on a simulator. If u try doing a powerslide(sideways moving) on every possible turn, u end up getting a laptime 1.5 seconds slower than u otherwise would around Monza

-Formula 1 or Roadcar, thats a very very big difference

Quote udip21
    sure the car is being propelled forward when it is powersliding but that is slower than not powersliding because going straight, it will be taking the shortest line while powersliding, it will have to traverse angles and multiple directions.

-Come join me in a Subaru Impreza, ill take the same corner twice, one without sliding the rear, and the other one with sliding the rear. Option 1 will have massive understeer, forcing me to lay off the throttle, option 2 will give me oversteer, giving me the ability to give it full throttle.

which do you think is faster?

22. Hello P-Nut.

23. The broadcast wasn't live, there clearly was editing there.

24. Would be quite stupid if they measured the time of an edited vid and let that count.

25. Its funny cause most likly Top Gear uses GPS to make there times instead of a stop watch that your borke ass would use. Also powersliding.......dude the cars that they test are powerful and the tires on the car are most likly going to hit a limit in the hands of someone that can drive